“Great vacation at Breathless!”

Breathless Punta Cana Resort & Spa
Ranked #11 of 111 Hotels in Punta Cana
Buffalo
“Great vacation at Breathless!”
Reviewed April 11, 2014

My boyfriend and I traveled with another couple to Breathless from March 29-April 4. We, like many other people, had been a bit nervous after reading a lot of the reviews. We stayed at Secret Puerto Vallarta and Secrets Silversands in the past two years so Breathless was going to have a lot to live up to, but we were pleasantly surprised! The weather was absolutely amazing (only rained one day!). The resort itself was beautiful, larger than I thought it would be! The beach here was amazing, much better than both of the places we stayed at in Mexico!! There were several pools, swim up bars, and places to get food and drink 24/7! We upgraded to an Xhale Club swim out junior suite and it was beautiful, the decor of the door was really nice and the bed was probably the most comfortable bed we've ever slept in! A lot of people say it's not worth it to upgrade to the Xhale club, but we thought it was a good deal! Right when we arrived at the resort, they heard we were Xhale club members and got whisked away immediately on a golf cart and taken to the Xhale club where check in was extremely easy, our rooms were both ready early and the whole process took maybe 20 minutes, if that! Also with the Xhale club, you have access to the Xhale club area as well as another restaurant for lunch to eat at, so we utilized it. The staff was all super friendly and accommodating! Yes there is a language barrier, but that shouldn't even be a complaint. We are guests in their country, I can't stand these review that actually use a language barrier against the resort! What I will say, though, would be helpful is a drink menu. I didn't mind the language barrier, but there were a few times where the drink we asked for was definitely not the drink we got. The staff was always really nice and more than willing to get us a new drink, but we all agreed that if there was just a more comprehensive drink menu, it would be easier for the staff and guests at the resort.

The food was awesome. The breakfast buffet was always great. We ate dinner at Spumante (Italian), Coquette (French), Sofrito (Latin), The Strip (steakhouse) and Silk City (Asian). All were very good, but Coquette was, by far, the most impressive. We got some scallop appetizer and the lamb, both of which was absolutely amazing! Every piece of meat we ordered at the resort was also always cooked perfectly! I am very picky with red meat and only like it medium rare, and it was always perfect!! We even ordered room service on our first night late (about 10:45PM) and got the bacon wrapped fillet and even later at night the meat was cooked perfect! For lunch we mainly stuck to the Barefoot Grill which was the outdoor grill to get pizza/burgers/chicken, great every day! My only suggestion is that the Italian restaurant include more pasta dishes. When we went, I was expecting a lot more pasta options, but it was mostly fish and meat. I did end up with pasta bolognese which was great, but that was almost the only pasta option available that night.

Like I said, rooms were super pretty and comfortable. There was a distinct smell to the bathrooms (not sure if it was the water or what) but we did also notice this (as was also noted in several other reviews). It wasn't awful or anything, but it was definitely there. The room did have incense, which we did burn. I also was not a huge fan of the bathrooms. I felt as if there was not enough counter space in the bathroom for toiletries, an also I was not a fan of the shower. The shower doesn't really have a door, it has something like a half door, so the entire one side is totally open, and I just wasn't a fan of this. Also, we only noticed one outlet in the bathroom, which I think there should be more than just one. The rooms are pretty loud during the day, also. There is absolutely no sound proofing to these rooms, which is another reason we were really happy we were in the Xhale club, as it was not facing the main pools. The main pools get very loud during the day and if you have a room facing this area, it is definitely going to be LOUD. Also it did seem very loud whenever the maid was cleaning the rooms above us. Not really a huge deal, because we didn't spend that much time in the room anyways, but if you do want to take a nap in the afternoons, it may not happen.

They had some really nice cabanas on the beach that said "reserved" on them. I inquired how much it was to rent these, and I found out it was $100 for the large cabana (that had a bed at the bottom and a top area with two chairs to sunbathe) and $80 for the small cabana, and was also told that food and drink was included with this. I thought that was kind of funny because it's an all inclusive resort, so obviously food and drink are included. Barely any of the cabanas were ever in use, and I think they could make a bit more money if they decreased the prices of those a bit, because they were really nice! Other than those complaints, everything was amazing.

I would definitely recommend this resort to other people, and if you are staying here, do not be nervous about the bad reviews!! It was absolutely amazing here and we had a great week! I really think some people just look for things to complain about! The entire staff was great, but some stuck out more than others! Special shout outs to Paula and Yanilka who were our cocktail waitresses at the swim out pool every day, they did a great job! Always had a smile on their face and always there to offer a great drink! Also Anuendy, the bartender at the one swim up bar was fantastic. Orni, the bartender at the Xhale club bar was awesome, he made great drinks as well!! Lenny (bartender at the Wink bar) was absolutely fantastic! He served us from day 1 and we always went back every night to get drinks from Lenny, he is the best!! I will say it is it is mainly couples staying at the resort, so if you are young/single/looking to hook up, this is probably not the best place for you. Overall, had an absolutely fantastic week at Breathless, would definitely recommend to friends!

Room Tip: We really loved the Xhale club junior suite swim outs, nice and quiet, beautiful rooms!
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
10 Thank xprincess366x
BreathlessPC, General Manager at Breathless Punta Cana Resort & Spa, responded to this review, April 20, 2014
Dear xprincess366x,

Thank you for reviewing our resort. We are glad that you liked our beautiful beach, rooms, amenities, and the friendly service from our Team. At the moment, we are working on some enhancements in our food, including our pasta offer at Spumante. As well, following up your suggestion, our wait team at the pools and beach will have soon a drink menu with them, in order to improve the communication with our guests and the service. We sincerely appreciate your feedback, and we hope to welcome you back, to exceed your expectations!

Warm regards,

Breathless Punta Cana

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2,396)
  • Czech first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Copley, Ohio, United States
Reviewed April 10, 2014 via mobile

Breathless was very nice, was at first scared because of some of the negative reviews, but only encountered minor problems. Did like the fact that there was 2 pools, the one I called the MTV pool, where the foam party and slide and a little more dance type music and the other one was more laid back and relaxing, so whatever you were in the mood for you had the option. Also never had a problem finding a chair on the beach, or even the not sure what they are called but have a bed on the bottom and you go up a few stairs and a deck above, quite nice.
The food was good, but not great, but if you don't like what you got order something else or go to the buffet. The breakfast buffet had about anything you could want. Usually was at the beach at lunch so grabbed something from the grill down by the beach.
Overall it was a nice vacation. Yes at times the service was slow or like I said other minor problems, nothing we found to go crazy over and they always corrected any problems we had, very minor.

Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Steve D
Dear Steve D,

Thank you for reviewing our resort. It is good to know that overall, you had a good vacation and enjoyed many of our services and amenities. We keep working to improve, and we appreciate your heads up. We here remain at your disposal, and look forward to welcoming you back, to deliver a totally great experience!

Barnegat, New Jersey
Reviewed April 10, 2014

Two weeks ago we vacation at Breathless Resort, it was suppose to be all inclusive, but if you did not tip the services was terrible.
The food was ok but not for a 6 star resort, no variety.
We had to keep asking for more water, instead of just keeping a check on it.
On the beach or at the pool, not enough umbrellas.
Entertainment was not what you think it is, most of the time they had the big TV in the court yard to entertainment you.
To go to lunch you could only go to the Restaurant by the beach.
The Bed Mattress was horrible, with lumps.
On the first two days we had to call to have fixed internet, TV, Radio, coffee maker, and refrigerator which they had to take out and give us another one.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Marie C
BreathlessPC, General Manager at Breathless Punta Cana Resort & Spa, responded to this review, April 11, 2014
Dear Marie C,

Thank you for reviewing our resort. We are really sorry your stay with us was not as expected. We are very interested on following up with you directly, get specific feedback and be able to address your concerns properly, given that some comments are unfamiliar to our services and facilities. We have sent a private message to you, and look forward to your response.

Many thanks & regards,

Hartford, Connecticut
Reviewed April 9, 2014

We've visited the resort twice already! We bought a "secret" resort thru cheapcarribean.com (not much risk as it was supposed to be one of 3 adults only resorts they offered and breathless was one of them).
We like this place a lot! They recognized us on arrival and gave us a nice room and great service. We love their beach and pool area - but especially entertainment and friendless. the staff here is very nice, eager to please - Amara (cheburashka), Mickey (mouse), Santiago, Andres... I can go on and on... French restaurant is very very good; italian (Spumante) is nice. BUT Japanese Silk (non Hibachi table) and Culinaria are very bad - service and food are not acceptable - don't waste your time!! I would give the resort 4.5 as they need a bit more time to train their people to perfection. I know they "compete" against "Secret" resorts - its sister brand. We went 3 times to secrets and they are a bit more "excellent" then breathless . I'm sure the Breathless is a "magnifico" (its answer on how are you?) choice!

Room Tip: building 2 and 4 are closer to the beach
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
5 Thank andrei1086
Dear andrei1086,

Thank you for visiting us again, and for sharing your experience. I am glad that you have enjoyed your time with us, and that our Team delivered a “Magnífico” service to you. We appreciate your remarks about Culinaria and Silk City, and those will be reviewed with our Food & Beverage Team. We are always ready to improve, and many of the enhancements we have already done have been possible thanks to the feedback from our guests. It was a pleasure to welcome you back, and we hope there are more visits to come.

Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed April 9, 2014

BACKGROUND INFO: stayed during the first week of April, a group of 6 women, myself included, to celebrate my 30th birthday.

THE GOOD:
1. The resort is really pretty. They did a good job with the grounds. Definitely makes for beautiful pictures.
2. The resort (in general) was really clean. The cleaning staff is constantly working. The poolside bathrooms never looked/felt dirty at any point during the day; surfaces were always kept dry and clean.
3. We rented a "Bali" bed on the beach for 2 days of our trip - one of the double deckers that has a sun deck on top - and it was absolutely amazing!! Definitely the highlight of the trip. We also had a private waiter (Luis) who was so great to us. He brought us endless drinks and food all day, both days, so that we never left the beach. I would highly recommend renting one of these if you love the beach and want a true luxury experience.
4. The Latin restaurant "Sofrito" was great. By far the best meal we had. And the decor in there is beautiful. Make this place one of your dinners, for sure, if you stay here. Just be certain it's open cause it was only open ONE night of our 5 day stay.
5. They make a great burger. Random, I know. But the first night we ordered room service and were shocked at how delicious the burger was. And we're from Chicago - a place where you can find all kinds of burgers - making us pretty hard to impress in the burger category. But all 6 of us loved the burgers. We shared a few again on the beach and once again said how delicious they were.
6. THE FOAM PARTY! On one of the afternoons they had a foam party in the freestyle pool and it was like nothing I've ever experienced before! They played great music and pumped foam into the pool and threw beach balls around and you could tell everyone was really enjoying themselves.
7. The night time beach party - not sure how often they have these but there was one while we were there and we had a good time. The E-team did a great job of staying involved during the party so it wasn't just a bar in the sand w/ a DJ.
8. The Sangria Man!! They have this kid, Diesel, who pushes a cart around the pool deck with a giant bowl of delicious sangria every afternoon. He even has a floating sangria cart that he bops around in the pool with and gives out cups of sangria to those in the water. You'll always know where he is because his signature phrase is "YEAHHH BABYYY!! I love my job!"
9. The breakfast and lunch buffet in "Spoon" was decent. You could find some good items on there.

THE BAD:
1. The food, in general, is not good. Bland and poorly prepared. Some things had a funny taste. They have so many restaurants but maybe they should cut them down and focus on just a few restaurants and creating great meals at those.
2. Language barrier. Major. And sometimes I actually felt like they pretended they couldn't understand us just to not have to do what was asked. We noticed that the staff seemed to only know the words they needed to know for their position.
3. Service is poor at best. Very few of the service staff actually went above and beyond. We found there were several times we would ask for something and never see it.
4. Guacamole was hard to come by. I mean I know it's not Mexico but how hard is it to make some guac?! It's the ultimate snack! You can find it everywhere in Chicago so I think the DR can handle a little guac. We ordered it along with our room service burgers and they gave us a tablespoon size blob of it. For 6 people.
5. The Bali Bed (from #2 under "the good") cost $100 USD per day. It breaks down to $80 for the bed and $20 for the waiter. Hey, Breathless, at Secrets Maroma in Riviera Maya you can get this bed for $40 per day and the waiter and beach concierge are INCLUDED.
6. Though the resort was generally clean, we had some issues with our room. Since it was my birthday they sent a cake one day. We ate about half (it was tasty) and then it sat there for an entire 24 hrs. The cleaning staff had been thru to clean the room and they just left it. Gross. I finally had to call down to tell them to take it. They also left a bowl of chips from our room service sitting out for the duration of the trip. Come on!
7. The nightly shows were terrible. We found ourselves laughing at how lame and disappointing they were.
8. The E-team was SUPER unprofessional. We found the men to be creepy and borderline offensive. We even watched one hide and then chug a cup of sangria in front of us as he proceeded to tell us that he had to do it that way so no one would see. I mean, seriously? They need to be trained by the E-team at Secrets!!

THE UGLY:
1. The first night we ate at the Italian restaurant "Spumante" and it was downright AWFUL. Everyone's food was unedible. I had the "seafood" risotto which turned out to be a bunch of crappy shrimp over dry, completely tasteless rice. My friend had the osso bucco and it had such a strange taste that she promptly stopped eating. (this is the reason we ordered room service; we were starving!). Don't bother eating here during your stay.
2. The alcoholic beverages are watered down or reduced alcohol content to the max. Every single one.
3. There seemed to be an extreme disconnect between when you ordered drinks from a waitress and drinks directly from the bartender. Every time we ordered from a waitress we weren't entirely sure what she brought us. And they don't have a single clue what a vodka martini is. Every time one of the girls ordered it, they brought something different. Eventually she just started ordering vodka tonics or straight vodka but even then, they brought/gave her whatever flavor vodka they felt like. Even though every time she asked for regular vodka, not flavored.
4. I got violently ill on our third night. And not from drinking alcohol. I assume it was from dinner... it all came right back up and then some. Luckily once it was out, the illness passed.
5. Our check-in was a disaster. We had 6 women and should have gotten 3 rooms w/ 2 double beds but they had us in 2 rooms w/ 2 double beds and one room with a king size bed. And they didn't even have us split up evenly - they had 3 people in one of the rooms w/ 2 double beds and one person alone in the king size. Initially they were not very flexible and argued with us when we tried to switch the rooms and get people settled where they needed to be. It ended up that they gave us 2 room keys for the rooms with the 2 doubles and told us to come back at 7pm and they would give us another room with 2 double beds. So we did. And the room wasn't ready. So myself and another girl went back at about 10pm and the concierge told me the bellboy would meet us in the room we were in now to move the bags to the other room. We politely asked if we could just have the keys because the rest of our group was at the bar enjoying themselves. We were told no. Because apparently its hotel policy to have a bellboy there to explain the room. We said we already had it explained this afternoon. We were told no again and the bellboy would meet us there immediately. So we went to the room to wait for the bellboy and guess what? No show. We waited and did nothing for 25 min while the rest of our group enjoyed themselves. So we went back to the bar and then 2 of the other girls went to the concierge and chewed them out til they had their keys. Its really unfortunate that it had to come to that.

IN SUMMATION: after all that, we will not return to this resort. Like EVER. And we will pass along to others close to us that they shouldn't bother and go for Secrets Maroma or Capri in Riviera Maya.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
11 Thank Jessica N
Dear Jessica N,

Thank you for your review. At Breathless Punta Cana we strive to deliver a totally memorable time to our guests, and we truly regret the perception you got from some of our services. Moreover, we encourage our guests to contact us directly, report any situation or discomfort, so we may correct it in a timely manner. We are sorry we did not have the opportunity to address your concerns while being with us; however, we will follow up on the opportunity areas you have given us, so we may improve our service. Thank you again, we remain at your disposal.

Reviewed April 9, 2014 via mobile

We are at breathless punta cana as we speak. We are both 29 years old and from Toronto Canada. We are not very picky and just wanted a relaxing vacation after a brutal winter. We mainly wanted a great beach+ocean spot with huts/shade and good food. Between the both of us we have been to Aruba (Riu Palace), Mexico (Dreams Puerto Aventerus + Oasis Cancun), Jamaica (Royal Decameron, Holiday Inn Sunspree), Cuba (Blau Varadero, Brisas del Caribe, Arenas Blancas), and Punta Cana (Dreams Palm Beach, Gran Palladium). So a wide range of resorts from 3-5 star.
Have to start off by saying we originally booked Dreams Palm Beach---which was rated a higher star rating AND had better reviews on trip advisor (and was $300 more in price per couple than Breathless). Before our room was ready at Dreams Palm Beach we asked the manager (or where's waldo because he was hard to find) to be switched to another hotel. In 2 hours there we experienced poor service (actually no customer service or anyone that gave a crap or wanted to take your bag or wanted to get you a drink), the worst buffet in the history of mankind and a poor beach area that was way too tiny. I wouldn't feed the food at Dreams Palm Beach to a dog. if it is your first vacation you may think its good, but we didn't spend what we did for a "5 or 4.5 star" to eat food that doesn't taste like anything. We would have went to Cuba if we wanted that. Anyways, the manager didn't seem to care either. We were forced to stay anothet night at Dreams or Nightmares Palm Beach. We had friends and family that stayed at Dreams Punta Cana and wanted to go there (we booked the more expensive and higher star Dreams Palm Beach thinking it would exceed even what those we knew experienced) but were told that wasn't possible......
We paid the difference and paid our own cab transfer (thanks Air Canada) to Breathless Punta Cana. From the moment we arrived we were treated like royalty. This place is the best resort we have experienced. The rooms, the pools, the beach, the ocean, the food, the entertainers are all exceptional. However, the biggest asset and most exceptional thing is the service. Both customer service and staff make you feel like royalty. You could literally sit in one place all day (not that we do) and have all your drinks and food brought to you. The staff are happy and friendly and go above and beyond to help you. There are many shade spots at both the beach and many pools----palm trees around the pools are great.
This place should be 5+ platinum. Whoever comes up with the ratings needs to address the 4 star rating of this place. I got poor service and local Presidente Dominican beer at a "5 star" Dreams Palm Beach and ice cold Heineken at a 4 star----that's not a be all end all but it shows the lack of thought in the ratings. Do yourself a favour and book Breathless. We will definitely be back. It's just a matter of time

Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
5 Thank Brendan O
Dear Brendan O,

Thank you so much for reviewing our resort. We do our best to make our guests feel at home, and it’s great that you enjoyed our beautiful facilities and the friendly service from our Team. We look forward to your next visit; please do not hesitate to contact us for any assistance you may need, we will be glad to help!

Kindest regards,

Reviewed April 9, 2014

We had a great vacation. The sand was the best we have ever seen. It was like baby powder. The rooms were large and airy. Our concierge Warnery De La Rosa was amazing. Anything we needed he was able to get for us. It was a truly great experience.

• Stayed March 2014
2 Thank Junglegraph
Dear Junglegraph,

Many thanks for sharing your great experience. At Breathless Punta Cana, we strive to deliver experiences like yours, and we are happy to get your lovely comments. We here remain at your disposal, and look forward to welcoming you back.