“Alexander Lopez the Best”

The Reserve at Paradisus Punta Cana
Ranked #5 of 111 Hotels in Punta Cana
GreenLeadersSilver level
Keller, Texas
“Alexander Lopez the Best”
Reviewed July 9, 2013 via mobile

This place is AMAZING! We came here on our 10 year anniversary. The service is incredible. We have our own concierge! Someone bringing drinks to us all the time. Someone making dinner reservations for us. It's absolutely beautiful here. This place is clean, very pristine. Our room was beautiful. Couldn't ask for more. Find Alexander Lopez he will take care of you!

• Stayed July 2013
1 Thank Snick79
Paradisus P, General Manager at The Reserve at Paradisus Punta Cana, responded to this review, July 10, 2013
Dear guest,

Thank you so much for your review and congratulations for your 10th anniversary, we are very pleased you have chosen us to be part of such an important occasion and it made us really proud reading that you couldn’t ask for more!
We look forward for more anniversaries celebration with us!

Eduardo Perera

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (831)
  • Hebrew first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
Reviewed July 9, 2013

This place is fantastic. Some of the reviews scared me before I got there. People complained about the food and drinks. I did not find this to be true at all. This place is wonderful. We ate at The Grill, Aqua, Gabi Beach, and Bana. All of them were great. The beach is great. We walked up and down the beach and did not see another place that compared. The pools are great. The entertainment is great. We would love to come back. Book this resort with confidence.

• Stayed July 2013
Dear Kris
Thank you so much for your feedback! We found your words to be very kind and it definitely strengthens our conviction of striving for higher standards every day, we shared your comment with Alexander and we recognize his energy and passion and his job well done!
We are so glad to read that you enjoyed so much all our facilities and we look forward for more vacations to come with us.

bedford, tx
Reviewed July 8, 2013

I just returned from 11 days at The Reserve at Paradisus Punta Cana. I’ll start by saying, if you can afford to upgrade, do it. The Reserve is a smaller section of the property that caters strictly to the Reserve guests.

Basically, the rooms are nicer and in some cases, bigger. While at the pool or the beach, you will always have a wait staff to get your drinks and bring you food. And you will also have the pleasure of meeting Silvio, Guest Service Manager - who seemed to pop up whenever you needed him. I don't actually think he slept the entire time I was there!

If you spend any amount of time at the Reserve pool, you’ll most certainly meet Luis Santana who is one of the nicest people there. His sole aim is to keep you from doing anything!

At Gabi Club, the restaurant located in the Reserve area, you won’t be dealing with a line or waiting for a table. I had breakfast and lunch there almost every day. The food was excellent and everything was fresh … even the displays of the food probably had me eating more than I wanted to.

The beds are unbelievably comfortable. At The Reserve, you can select the pillows you’d like to try … it’s called the Pillow Menu. J

As you’ve already read, the grounds are gorgeous and immaculately kept. In fact, I don’t think I’ve ever stayed at a cleaner resort. You’ll be hard-pressed to find a single piece of trash anywhere. My room was spotless and so was every building/restaurant on the property. A big thank you to the ladies who took care of room 2417 including Mathilda and Glorya.

This was my first experience at an all-inclusive. I am not much of a drinker so it usually doesn’t make much sense for me. But the rates were so good, I thought I’d try it. I must admit, not looking at the prices on the menu was really nice. They also offer room service at all hours at no additional charge. Your room also has a small mini frig that is stocked – no fee for that either.

I think my expectations concerning the food were pretty low. I thought being at an all-inclusive meant a few choices and fairly bland offerings. It simply wasn’t the case here. Now there were meals that weren’t my favorite, but it wasn’t the quality of the food – everything was well prepared and I thoroughly enjoyed it.

I was able to eat at just about every restaurant: Aqua, Vento, Gabi Beach, Gabi Club, Mole, The Grill, Bana and Bana Wok. I did not get a chance to eat at Fuego. Like I said, I thought the food was terrific and unlike most trips, I always ordered dessert.

If you’re hoping to stay active, you will love this place. They offer free tennis classes on Monday and Wednesday from 5:30-6pm. I brought my racquet, but you can borrow one from them. Amby is their pro and he is funny, nice, and very patient … he didn’t quit after trying to help me with my serve! Domingo and Jose are also there and fun to play with as well. You can get a one hour lesson or just play for an hour with one of them for only $20! Anyone back in the States knows that’s unbelievably cheap.

They also offer a nicely appointed gym as well as studio space. For an extra fee, you can take yoga, pilates, meditation, stretching. They have a menu at the concierge and the spa.

I did get a massage at the YHI spa. As always, spa services at a resort are way over-priced and this is no exception. An 80 minute massage was $140 plus taxes and fees. I had a resort credit that made it a little more palatable, but it’s still pretty pricey.

As for the negatives, there are only a couple: be aware that because this is the tropics and the humidity is high, most floors are tile or marble. Not much sound gets muffled so you can hear just about everything, especially doors closing. The doors – at least in my building - must be slammed to be shut. Since all doors face in to a courtyard, you can hear them all. Not sure if they’re aware of this or not, but it does seem fixable.

Also, and this goes along the same lines, but I was in a room that had an adjoining door to another room. It might as well have been separated by newspaper because I had could hear everything next door. Unfortunately, I was stuck next to a family with two kids, one of whom did nothing but cry and whine the entire time they were in the room. Trust me, I don’t blame the kid, I blame her parents.

Are kids welcome? Definitely - and I posted some other information - as well as pictures about my stay/trip on my travel blog. You are more than welcome to check it out or send me any questions. www.travelfor1.squarespace.com (If this doesn't show as an active link - just paste in your browser.)

• Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank happygofortunate
Fresh Meadows
Reviewed July 8, 2013

First and foremost, the people that work at The Reserve - Paradisus Punta Cana are what make this place so wonderful. Maiker on the beach (mi gente, mi gente..!) you made our two days at the beach fun and relaxing. Thank you so much for the best "mentiritas" ever! Manolo and Melvin at the snack grill next to the pool will cook up a 4 star restaurant meal if you ask. What a team! Great service and wonderful attention to detail. Rosemary Room service is quick and very good. The rooms are perfect in their design and layout. I would have liked a bit more a/c, but by no means are the rooms warm in any way. Transportation around the resort is easy. Of all the very good restaurants, Vento was our favorite. Lastly,

Room Tip: I was in 3421... Very nice and quiet room with a balcony overlooking the pool and Gabi club.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Astrid,

Thank you so much for sharing your wonderfully experience with us. We pride ourselves for having a great team and we feel really proud and happy to read that our guests recognize them for a job well done as much as we do.
We believe every detail is very important in order to provide a memorable experience!
We hope to have the opportunity to host you and your family again in a near future.

Reviewed July 8, 2013

Our whole family recently returned from the DR. First of all, the beaches in DR are absolutely LOVELY. The water, the sand, the waves...just perfect, and some of the prettiest and cleanest we've ever seen. I will say that this was only the second time we've vacationed at an all-inclusive resort. The last was this past December to the Iberostar Grand Rose Hall in Jamaica. It was TOP NOTCH, and the meter stick that we used to compare everything.

When we arrived at the Reserve, the check in was odd... We had to wait an exceptionally long time to get checked in. My eleven year old daughter had a badly sprained ankle when we arrived, and was in a huge boot and on crutches. There's no elevator at the resort (which I understand...different codes than in America)...but when we requested a bottom floor room, it was as if we were troubling them. They just weren't willing to go the extra mile to make things easier for us. I also asked if they had a wheel chair that we could borrow, and they said that we could rent one. Side point here... the resort is HUGE... much larger than I anticipated. There are shuttles, but they don't run consistently, so you can't really count on them.
When we finally got checked in and inquired about dinner that night, we were told that none of the nicer restaurants were available since we "arrived so late." So, we ate at Gabi Beach. This was a very poor way to begin our trip. The food was TERRIBLE. Some of us ordered grouper, and it was really inedible. There was a buffet with salads and desserts, so we mainly ate off that. Also, I asked for a Cosmo to drink, to which the bartender replied, "Do you want rum in it?"
At the end of our first day, I was so very disappointed. We'd spent a lot of money to have the higher end area of the resort, and I expected not only high end accommodations but also excellent customer service, and I was most disappointed on all fronts. So, I emailed our travel agent of my concerns, and to request we move resorts. She informed me that we were at the one of the nicest in the whole area, and that I would likely be even more disappointed somewhere else. She suggested we stay another day or two, and if we still wanted to move, to let her know. After my email, the agent contacted the resort manager and told her our concerns. The next thing I knew, we were given the royal treatment... the manager personally made our dinner reservations for the rest of the week, threw in some freebies, got us a beach front reserved cabana for the whole week, and provided a concierge. While these things were very nice, and appreciated, we felt as if EVERYONE should be entitled to those things, not just given because we complained.
Here are some reviews in a nutshell...
* Passion - EXCELLENT dining experience. Do the tasting menu... Worth every penny.
* Aqua - EXCELLENT dining experience. The scenery was beautiful. The chef, Vicenzo Napolitano, was very attentive, and his food incredible. His wait staff was TOP NOTCH, and we felt very welcomed. The chef even stopped by our table several times to check on us. We ended up eating there two times because we loved it so much. Don't miss it!
* The Mexican restaurant, Mole, was ok...nothing special.
* Vento was terrible...we left mid-meal.
* The pool guys, Emilio, Jose, and Luis, were FANTASTIC. So were our concierges, Ovedio and Silvio... (Oveido even arranged to have roses and balloons in the room for my daughter's birthday!) These guys should give LESSONS on customer service, and be given a raise. They really know how to do it right! Otherwise, the front desk staff, the waiters, waitresses, and other staff simply provided substandard service.
* We also were asked to BUY things over and over and over. The ONLY wines available at all restaurants (other than the huge list for PURCHASE) were a house red and a house white that remained the same at each place. Also, we were asked to sit through a Melia presentation of the resort club... some sort of sales pitch similar to a time share. We simply weren't interested, and the guide was insistent, telling us that she would get points if we just listened. It was very uncomfortable.
* Most restaurants were listed as resort elegant, and our family did so... It was frustrating to me to dine beside others in shorts and flip flops.
* The grounds of the resort were BEAUTIFUL, and so were the rooms. Very clean, very nice all around.

Perhaps I sound extremely picky; however, we spent a lot of money and I expected better quality. Oddly enough, it wouldn't take much to make the resort top notch. Customer Service lessons and better overall food. (The buffets were average, sometimes slightly above average, but ok...Some of the best food was at the Hydrogrill by the pool...don't miss the margherita pizza!) We are extremely low maintenance, and I felt all week as if we had a scarlet letter on us because we were the complainers.

Based on my vacation, I don't recommend this resort to others, nor will I return.

Room Tip: We were in building 40, which was close to the pool. That was very nice considering my daughter was...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank AngieBorden
Cranford, New Jersey, United States
Reviewed July 8, 2013

I was at The Reserve at Paradisus Punta Cana from July 3rd-July 7th for a destination wedding and I was excited because I had heard from the bride & groom that this was a 5 star resort; sorry to say it was not. The St. Regis is a 5 star, The Waldorf Astoria is a 5 star, so if you are used to staying at a 5 star and this is what you are expecting you are setting yourself up for disappointment.
The Rooms: Our room was in building 36 room 3361 (1 king size bed overlooking the pool) there were several stains on the sofa, the room looked very dated and used; it definitely could use an upgrade. I heard The Reserve was new, however there is no way given the condition of the buildings. The first night Wednesday, July 3rd I was walking back up to my room when I got to the 3rd floor landing I could not see that the roof was leaking from the rain and fell down on the tile floor I landed on my right hip (which I thought I broke; it hurt so bad) when I called downstairs they did nothing!! It is amazing how quickly English language skills go out the window when there is an issue at this place. My Mom had to put towels down on the ground; no one even came to clean up the water! When I spoke to our concierge Fernando (who was amazing) he did apologize and said he would notify someone of the leak.
The Food: On Thursday evening we ate at the Italian restaurant (Aqua) which was good, but we wanted pasta which there was none of, we had the steak which had a high sodium content that I swelled up immediately after eating. We ate at the Mexican restaurant (Mole) on Saturday evening, the food here was amazing! Great margaritas, amazing chicken enchiladas!! The wedding was Friday so we only got to eat at 2 of the restaurants. Breakfast at the Gabi Club was always awesome!! I am already missing the homemade omelet with salsa verde!!!
The Beach: Also, if you are a beach goer like me The Reserve makes it VERY difficult to get to the beach!! They do have a tram car but it is very infrequent! It is about a 15-20 minute walk to the beach from the reserve. I am the type of person who likes to have a 30 second walk to the beach. It would be nice to have a separate walking path direct to The Reserve private beach with a tram that just goes back and forth from the beach to The Reserve. However, The Reserve beach is amazing!!!! The best thing about The Reserve is Jose L De Los Santos & Ramon Ramirez. “It’s drinky, drinky time!!! Who wants alcohol?!” Music to my ears and made each day the greatest day!! He made me some of the best tropical drinks I have ever had!!! This resort does have some great drinks! Made with fresh fruit (not like others I have been to where they only use mixes) this place set the bar very high for drinks as far as I’m concerned!! Jose & Ramon are the GREATEST workers at The Reserve and the GREATEST asset!!! Also, make sure you tip your bartenders and waiters well!! They work very hard!!! Remember you have so much more and be generous!! A few dollars go a long way!!!!
I more than likely would not come back, I have been to the Dominican Republic 3 times now and I want to try new destinations! If I would go back I would stay at the regular part of the Paradisus and get the Royal Service!

Room Tip: Go to the regular Paradisus and get the Royal Service, that would be much better!!!
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank Brittany B
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed July 7, 2013

My wife and I spent a couple of nights at Punta Cana Palma Real, but then wanted a different beach (i.e. with less rocks), so we asked the manager, Ms. Belem San Martin. Ms. San Martin was soooo helpful! Because we had been to Paradisus Punta Cana 3 years prior, we asked to be moved then, and Ms. Belem just made it happen. She also referred us to Ms. Laura Allegre, the manager of Paradisus Punta Cana, who was also extremely friendly and helpful and even tried to get us a free massage. So I definitely recommend Paradisus Punta Cana! Ms. San Martin and Ms. Allegre, you are awesome!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear guest,
Sunny greetings from Punta Cana!
Thank you so much for sharing your experience with us.
Our greatest interest is to reach and surpass our guest expectations and we pride ourselves for a wonderful team ! So we are very happy to read your recognition on our management team as well.
We look forward to host you again in your home in the Caribbean!