“The hotel was great”

The Reserve at Paradisus Punta Cana
Ranked #4 of 112 Hotels in Punta Cana
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed June 13, 2013

Alexander Lopez the best is the best. The pool was good, the drinks were endless it was a phenomenal experience. Will recommend to friends and family and come again. I enjoyed time and enjoyed the privacy of the beach as well. Night activities were enjoyable, I was very entertained

• Stayed: July 2012
Paradisus P, General Manager at The Reserve at Paradisus Punta Cana, responded to this reviewResponded June 23, 2013

Dear guest,

Thank you so much for your review! It was a pleasure for us to host you and to learn that we succeed in our effort to provide you a memorable experience!
Your feedback has been shared with our associates and I will like you to know that they much appreciate it, especially Alexander Lopez.
We hope to hos you back again soon,

Greetings from Punta Cana,

Reviewed June 13, 2013

There was 5 in our family and we stayed in the Reserve with two joining rooms. Best choice. Rooms were gorgeous. There was a special pool and part of the beach for us. Luis Amparo was a tremendous help throughout our stay -- from checking into our room to obtaining dinner reservations to getting another set of keys. He couldn't have been more helpful or acommodating. Also, special shoutout to Alexander Lopez the Best at the Reserve pool. He remembered us from day to day, reminded us of the special events going on each day/night and overall treated us like family while we were there. Mikey Mikey at the Reserve beach was also very attentive and acommodating. We couldn't have been happier with our choice, especially since we chose it blind. We would definitely stay here again or at another Melia property, but we were spoiled with the Reserve area.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Cathy C

Dear Cathy,

Thank you for taking your precious time to write a review about our hotel.
We were really happy that you enjoyed most of aspect of your stay with us, the pool, the rooms, the food and especially the services of our employees.
We would like to thank you for your positive comments, we are delighted to read that we were able to please the 5 of you expectations.
I will extend your marvelous review to the team, it keep us motived to be recognize for a job well done!.
We look forward to welcome you back it will be lovely to spoil you again.

Best Greetings,

Reviewed June 13, 2013

We had the best time. All the amenities were great. The food was great and the staff was just as good. Rooms were spacious and well furnished bess were very comfortable. Staying in The Reserve section was well worth the extra money.

Special thanks to Alexander Lopez "the best".

• Stayed: June 2013

Dear Mike,

Many thanks for your review! We are happy to know that you our services and accommodations were up to your expectations at The Reserve at Paradisus Punta Cana and that you had the best time! I will be happy to extend your grateful to Alexander Lopez, he is a really good asset for us.
It will be a pleasure to hos you again in a near future.

Best Regards,

Reviewed June 13, 2013

This place was truly amazing! This was my first vacation that my partner and I had taken and was my graduation present to both us for finally finishing my college degree at the age of 44. From the moment that we arrived, we were treated exceptionally well and welcomed by all of the staff! Bags were brought to our rooms, reservations made for the restaurants, transportation to places on the resort, and more. What I think can help people with these reviews is a listing of the pros and cons of the resort with a listing of tips when you do visit. Therefore, here is my list…

Pros:
-THE STAFF! They advertise that you have a concierge to help you with your stay. We had three that were extremely helpful with our needs. Rosemary DeJesus greeted us, walked us to our room, set up our reservations. Fernando Mengo was there to answer any questions that we had regarding some of our reservations and was extremely helpful in getting us coffee or other items housekeeping overlooked. Sandra Cedeno was also helpful in answering several questions that we had about the area. The concierges are there to make your stay more enjoyable, do not be afraid to ask for assistance. We could not have been happier with the level of service that they provided. All of them exceeded our expectations!

-Eddy Wilson at the front helped us out by calling our tour company for us when the tour group mixed up a date, not just once but a couple of times. He helped us resolve the issue quickly. Eddy also provided transportation to the other side of the resort to pick-up one small item – something that I did not expect. I asked several staff members how long they had worked for the company or in the industry. Most of the responses that I received back were five or more years with many over ten. While walking around the place, we noticed, that each time you encounter a staff member, you are acknowledged with a ‘hola’ or ‘buenas dias/noches/tardes.’ That simple act of acknowledging the guests truly made us feel welcome!

-Enormous, beautiful, and well-maintained grounds with tons of walking paths and transportation provided to all parts of the resort. The pictures that are online and that people have posted do not do the place justice. The grounds are gorgeous, gorgeous, GEORGEOUS! We chose to walk to most places, even when it took an extra 10 minutes just because of the beauty of the landscaping. Some people have complained that the transportation was slow; however, we used it just once or twice because we wanted to walk. You are missing some of the beauty if you take the transportation everywhere.

-Amazing food with my all-inclusive package that included MOST restaurants. Yes, some places are not included in the all-inclusive package, but they are worth the extra money and it was CLEARLY stated in my travel papers that some places are not part of the package. Passion has amazing food and service and we will be writing a review for that place as well!

-Beautiful rooms and they looked exactly like the pictures posted.

-The beach! As I walked up and down the shoreline, I noticed that The Reserve/Paradisus had less seaweed and coconut/palm tree trimmings at the water’s edge than any of the resorts on either side. That same night walking back from the beach, coming down the main path is a tractor with a sand-raking attachment that was heading down to clean/sweep the beach. At the beach, Ramon Ramirez walked up and down the area serving drinks and was always in a great mood. I do not know how they can walk back and forth in the sand as much as they do. He made sure that we were not without water or a cocktail for very long and did a great job exceeding our expectations for beach service.

Cons:
-Having to leave! This was by far the hardest thing after staying in such a great place. Oh well, it is something to look forward to as we do intend to return next year or potentially sooner when I pass my board certification exams.

-Housekeeping sometimes would forget to fill the coffee-mate creamers. The next time, they would only put one or two in and then forget to fill the sugar. A couple times, they forgot to refill the regular coffee packs. Fernando took care of all of these issues for us immediately! Housekeeping also folded up a damp towel and placed in back in the rack. This was such a minor issue to me, but it is worth mentioning. Other than those very minor issues, housekeeping did an exceptional job with keeping the place clean I just wish they were more consistent with refilling supplies.

-Milk nowhere to be found, unless you called room service (or were at a sit down restaurant). We both like milk in our coffee and would have a few cups before we went down for breakfast, but the rooms only have coffee-mate powder. We called to have some delivered two days before we left and they never showed. Tried to find some at the onsite store and none was available for sale. All sorts of beverages are available in the refrigerator but milk is not one of them. Please make available in the store/gift shop somewhere on site. Again, such a minor issue to me but could be a bigger issue for parents with children.

Tips:
-Bring plenty of small to medium denomination U.S. currency. For a week stay, I would recommend $100 in ones, about $100-200 in fives and tens, and additional twenties for spending money and larger tips at the end of your stay. Although tipping is not required, we tipped $1-2 per drink delivery at the beach. We also tipped, at the end of our stay, each concierge that served us. We were more than happy to leave a little extra that delivered exceptional service to us.

-They do ask that you sit through a 90-minute presentation for the ‘Club Melia,’ which was something that we were not prepared for when we arrived. We were more than happy to do so, but are not in a position to be able to participate in the program since I just finished my college degree. It is closer to 2 hours that we spent. We liked the presentation and the offerings of club membership, so if you are interested in the potential to stay at ANY of the Melia Resorts or any of its partners locations, it is definitely worth the time. We do intend to participate at some point in the near future! (It is NOT a timeshare presentation!)

-Be flexible in your time! You are on vacation and time schedules and much more relaxed in the DR. Do not get bent out of shape if an excursion that you had scheduled shows up late or does not show at all. We had one excursion that did not go as planned, but it worked out in the end and we were still able to do the trip the next day – no harm.

-Plan for excursions as there is much to do outside the resort. During our week there, we did the zip-line, Saona Island lunch and boat tour, and a couple of shopping excursions and that was enough for us. We spent roughly and additional $1000-1500 on meals not included in our package, excursions outside of the resort, and shopping. Plan to spend additional money outside of your vacation package.

-Beach Vendors are not allowed to bother guests in the resort grounds but are walking up and down the waterfront, but look into prices before purchasing items from them (like the resort gift shop) to get an idea of a price. They are do not bothering you unless you call them over or are interested in speaking with them. They do bargain and will start very high in their first offer. Do not be afraid to start low and to negotiate back and forth. Pay what you are comfortable with and do not worry if you paid more than someone else. We paid $50 for a painting in which we saw a similar one at the airports for $30, yet we still feel like we paid a fair price. Some vendors also love Detroit Tiger memorabilia and you can bring stuff with you to use as a bartering tool – this was something a friend told me when she stayed there and I had completely forgotten. You can buy things like cigars, paintings, woven or bead bracelets and necklaces, and other souvenir items.

-Oh, and try out the Yhi Spa for a massage. It was very relaxing!

-Get the names of the staff members that made your stay enjoyable. They have a strong desire to please their guests and mentioning the great service you received is a great way to recognize their dedication to their jobs

Room Tip: First floor is considered a premium.
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 12, 2013

This is our second trip to the Dominican Republic, we were booked by mistake at the Reserve at Paradisus Punta Cana. We were supposed to be booked at The Paradisus Palma Real, but we can not complain, I believe it was meant to be this way. We had the most amazing time of our lives. The food was wonderful, the atmosphere and the people at the resort had the best attitude ever. I would go back to this resort a million times over!!!
We loved our amazing suit at The Reserve, very spacious and beautifully decorated. It was kept nice and cleaned twice per day. The best surprise of all was a bubble bath, hibiscus flowers and champagne, all orchestrated by the wonderful Rosmery De Jesus. She pampered us every single day of our time there. She handled all of our reservations to the restaurants and introduced us to the most amazing drink in the world, the Mamajuana!
The nightly entertainment was superb! Alexander Lopez deserves a special mention because he went above and beyond in his role. He was the first person to invite us to watch the night time shows at the pool and he made sure we had a great time. He was super sweet and friendly. He was always encouraging us to dance and let loose. So glad we did! We had a lot of fun!
We also liked the server at the Gabi Club Jose Reinoso and Johnny at the Fuego Restaurant.
I also loved Leyda at the Yhi Spa, she was awesome! I liked her so much I booked with her 3 days in a row :). We hope all of these wonderful employees are there for when we go back.
We are planning our return to The Reserve at Paradisus Punta Cana soon!! I highly recommend The Reserve at Paradisus Punta Cana, it is just an elevated way to vacation!

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank natissa17
Reviewed June 11, 2013

My husband and I stayed at The Reserve at Paradisus and it was absolutely wonderful. The staff was amazing, warm, friendly and so much fun. Our room was gorgeous, the food and drinks were exceptional, the grounds were immaculate and the weather was perfect. We couldn't have asked for a better trip. Special thanks to some special people, Our friends at the Reserve pool and bar, Luis, Lenin, Emelio, Jose, Chef Luis, Alexander Lopez "The Best", our concierge, Yeuri and our butler, Alturro from Royal Service. Also, to the wonderful staff at Gabi Beach, Marcelo, Deivi, Rodolfo, Nanyi, Maria and Benita. Thank you all for making our stay so exceptional xoxo

Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 10, 2013

The resort is amazing. Specifically, I wanted to give a review for the Yhi Spa at the reserve. They gave amazing massages for me and my husband (we're on our honeymoon) but afterwards, Leydi, Julio, and Evelyn were so helpful and friendly. They gave us a guided ( unpaid ) experience with the ancient ritual of the hot and cold baths. I loved Leydi - she was awesome!!

• Stayed: June 2013
Paradisus P, General Manager at The Reserve at Paradisus Punta Cana, responded to this reviewResponded June 11, 2013

Dear guest,

Thank you so much for sharing your amazing experience with us. We really enjoy reading how satisficed are you with our facilities and services especially with the Yhi Spa and staff!
We will look forward to indulge you again in your next visit to our Paradise!

Best Regards,