“This Resort and Staff are Amazing....”

The Reserve at Paradisus Punta Cana
Ranked #6 of 112 Hotels in Punta Cana
GreenLeadersSilver level
DC
“This Resort and Staff are Amazing....”
Reviewed February 16, 2013

We stayed at the Paradisus from Feb 9-14, 2013 and had an awesome experience. We booked out vacation thru a travel agent, Kristen Fry with The Shady Umbrella. She set everything up for us. The airline, the transfer from the resort to airport and back. If you are unsure about getting from the airport to the Paradisus, I recommend VIP travel Services from the Punta Cana Airport. They are very professional, prompt and extremely helpful. They can help you with excursions too!

I am not sure what other reviewers have encountered, but my family and I had a wonderful time at the Paradisus Punta Cana. I can actually say this was the best vacation I have ever been on. The reviewers who have been dissatisfied must not have went to the same resort as I did. The staff was very pleasant and went out of their way to help us. It was my parents 40th wedding anniversary and everyone went above and beyond to ensure it was a memorable trip for them.

I read tons of reviews before going to this resort and I have to admit I was a bit skeptical. I e-mailed guest services before my arrival to let them know that it was a special occasion for my parents. Even though I didn't pay any extra for anything special, they gave my parents dinner in the Royal Service restaurant, upgraded our rooms and gave them champagne and fresh fruit in their room. They contact me to make sure everything exceeded my expectations. I couldn't believe that everyone was so kind. I am at awe to read some of the reviews from others who went the same week as I did. I had expected the worst and I was totally wrong. I am not sure what experiences anyone else had, but I can't imagine what could have went wrong.

Now for the tips:
Try to stay in Reserve if possible. There is no butler service, but who needs it. Your concierge is there to make your reservations for you and the pool it just steps from your room, what else do you need? It is a little further from the beach, but the rooms are practically brand new and it is really quiet and relaxing. Each building has its own concierge and each room is a suite with a jacuzzi tub. The Reserve section has its own private pool, buffet restaurant, hydro grill (hamburgers/fries, pizza etc), check in/check out lobby... and the list goes on. It is not crowded and you can always find a lounge chair or bed. AND YES.. there is a swim up bar, but it is attached to the upstairs bar in the restaurant. All you have to do is swim up and someone will come down to serve you, ask for Lorenzo (he is there everyday) and he will come down with a "Hey Baby!".
The Reserve section of the beach is awesome too. You can reserve a lounge bed on the beach with your concierge or if you get there early enough see Mikey, ask for a lounge bed or chair under a canopy and say "Drinky Drinky", you will quickly become "Family" or as he says it "My People" :)

If you cannot stay in the Reserve section, that's OK. The main section is nice too. It is a bit louder because you are closer to the beach and the restaurants. For some that do not like to walk much, this is your section. It is still really nice, but the rooms are smaller. The main beach is nice as well, but it can be a little more crowded. The main people is very active with music and water aerobics, but it's only for a little while. You do not have to participate. You can swim up and getting a drink and dance. It is so much fun. If you have room in your suitcase and can remember, bring your own drink cup with a straw. You can get the bartenders to fill that up instead of a small plastic cup and you won't have to go to the bar as office. Plus you can get them to give you alot more liquor that way. Also, get a shot of MAMAJUANA, you won't regret it!!!!

The restaurants are really nice. I recommend the Grill steakhouse.The rib eye steak with truffle potatoes was so good. It was by far my favorite. Aqua was a beautiful atmosphere, but the food was definitely not Mediterranean... or so I thought. The Lapalapa restaurant ( Royal Service only) was great as well. If you are not Royal Service, It is worth the $15 for as much grilled lobster you can order!! I suggest when you arrive to contact your concierge about reservations as the restaurants do book up fast. I waiting until our second day there to make reservations and had a little trouble getting the time I wanted.

Now for the not so good:

The only thing was the "island time". I'm sure you've heard of this... if someone says a tram ride will be coming in 10 minutes, this really means 30 minutes. You will get a map of the resort when you arrive, Study It. Know which direction you want to travel in, to the beach, restaurants, your room etc. If you get on a tram that is going in the opposite direction you are wanting to go, don't get on it, wait 5 more minutes and it will come around again. I made this mistake a few times and ended up circling around to my building again before going in the direction I wanted. It takes a little to get used to, but make sure you grab a "cerveza/beer" for the road and you will have no worries, nor will you mind the wait.

Another thing... I have read that the food is "mediocre" . I thought it was really good. It is a little different from your Golden Corral's or Denny's buffets in the States, but if I wanted that I would have stayed home. I thought the resort did an amazing job of trying to feed all of its guest and not just feeding us junk food. There was fresh fruits everyday and an assortment of entrees and desserts. It does take time for a waiter to bring you coffee, but what's the hurry, your on vacation. Make some coffee in your room and take it with you to the buffet, this way you only have to wait for a refill. I did this, and it works great.

One more thing... before you write a really bad review, please contact Guest Services at the resort. The number is 6002 on your room phone. I remember this because I called a few times while I was there. Don't depend on the front desk to help. I think this is why there are a few not so good reviews here. If you need the e-mail address to inquire about some concerns you may be having before your vacation, please feel free to e-mail me and I'll give it to you. This is what I did after reading some of the Trip Advisor reviews before I left.

I realized this is really long, but enjoyed my stay at the Paradisus and can not wait to go back. Please feel free to e-mail me if you have any questions. I will be happy share my vacation experience. :)

Room Tip: I didn't stay in the Royal Service so I can't comment on that, but the Reserve is really nic...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
5 Thank kel256

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (835)
  • Hebrew first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
London, Canada
Reviewed February 15, 2013

Just returned from one week at the Paradisus Punta Cana (travelled Feb 07th-Feb 14th)with my husband. This was my 10th time down south and I have stayed at all type of star ratings. This resort, without a doubt, is a 5 star resort. I will break this review down into categories and be honest about it...even the small details that could have been improved but dont "make or break" a holiday. We arrived at the resort around 11pm at night..check in was a little slow but why be in a rush on holidays. The front staff were extremely polite and spoke english perfectly. They upgraded us to the Reserve Section for free!!!

ROOMS: We stayed in the second farthest building from the beach. That being said, we could get to the beach, walking, within 10 minutes. Its not THAT far of a walk like everyone says. Our room I believe was possibly a family suite. We had a living room, dining room, little kitchenette, seperate bathroom and shower, then a second room to get ready in with a huge jacuzzi. We had two double beds as opposed to a king but worked out just fine. The rooms were incredibly clean, with TONS of towels. Always enough of everything and anything you needed. My husband was on a diet that required mixing water for his shakes. The first day we asked the maids for extra water and diet pepsi, and for the rest of the week we had MORE than enough provided each day. Room was cleaned every day around 2 or so. Our room looked out over the Reserve Pool and noise was NEVER an issue. Only complaints I have about the room is that the water in the shower never really got hot enough and would fluctuate, and the walls are pretty thin so you could hear doors slamming shut in the morning. NEITHER OF THOSE COULD EVER POSSIBLY RUIN A VACATION!!

STAFF: These people work ridiculously long hours and are always so pleased to be able to serve you. I never encountered a rude staff member, or one that was not willing to help you. The majority of the staff we able to speak english, as well as MULTIPLE other languages. Please rememeber people, you are in their country, if you have an issue with their broken english, why not try learning some spanish and meet them half way??? There was never an issue with understaffing. I cant remember his name, but the server at the Reserve Pool was fantastic. As well as "Mikey" on the beach! These guys wont see you for two days, and STILL remember what your drink order is! I cant say enough about the staff. They make you feel welcomed, and safe....if you are going to complain about all the staff being rude, maybe you should look at the common denominator in that issue...yourself!

FOOD: The food is what you can expect from a 5 star all inclusive in Dominican. Its not the same as what you would get in Toronto, or New York or anywhere that is totally commercialized, but its good....No one in our group went hungry. Many options to choose from and they were constantly refilling things. I dont see how people can say the food is awful but again, its all from what your expectations are going in. No one was sick from the food either and I know sometimes people try and blame that on the resort. Vento (mediterranean) and Bana (sushi/teppanyaki) A La Cartes were the best! They do book up quickly but we were able to make a phone call from our room and book all our reservations for the week the first day we were there. Its not the resorts fault that the restuarants book up! It would be the same if you tried to go to the most popular restaurant on a saturday night....you just have to be flexible. There is a little snack bar in the reserve section that is open for the majority of the day that makes the BEST potato wedges! That grill is a MUST try for the week!

BEACH: Breath taking! I love Punta Cana (3rd time here) and the beach is the main reason! Its absolutely stunning! The water is a gorgeous turquoise and the white sand is so nice. Yes some days when the water was a bit more rough, there was more seaweed, but that is mother nature at her best..NOT THE RESORTS FAULT. There are 3 sections on the beach, Reserve section to the far right, then the Royal Suite Section and then the regular section. Very big comfy beds in ALL sections. We never had an issue finding a place for all 6 of us to sit together. The one day we accidentally sat in the Royal Service section of the beach, and one of the staff very politely told us that we would have to move as that section was not designated to us. I thought this was very well done and I respected the fact that if you did not pay for those services, you should not be able to access their "facilities". "Mikey" in the Reserve Section of the beach was the best server ever! We watched him dance with children, and then go chat with an older couple. Very very good at his job! -Please tell him that the "Boob girls from Canada say Hi"!. I dont remeber ever really being harassed by anyone on the beach trying to sell us things. If they ask, just politely say no thanks, and they leave you alone. No one EVER tried to sell us a time share.

GROUNDS: Loved every aspect of this resort. The layout was simple to figure out. Even though many people say this resort is HUGE, its not THAT big. Its very well layed out so that you are always close to a bathroom, a place to grab some food, or some sort of pool/beach. If you for some reason dont want to walk, there is a trolly that will take your from wherever you are in the resort, to wherever you need to go. They work very hard to keep it manicured and perfect looking. Its the most "plush" resort ive stayed at and gave you a very tropical feel while still being very modern. I think I said to our friends multiple times on the trip "I want my house to be decorated like this resort". Very modern and clean. Very appealing to the eye. Always somewhere comfry to sit. Every bathroom in the resort smelled SO GOOD. They had incents lit so when you walked in, it gave you sort of a spa feeling. There is also a section of the resort, right around the spa that has outdoor incents that are very calming when you pass by. Cant say enough about how beautiful and well thought out this resort is. Kudo's to whoever did the landscaping and thought of all the small details.. EVEN THE TOILET PAPER WAS SCENTED!!!!

ENTERTAINMENT: I personally like the night shows that go on in the theatre. They can be a little cheesy at times but its a true feel for the dominican culture. There were some cool shows that went on down at the beach in front of the Gabi beach bar.If you are looking for a chill place to hang out a night, Gabi Beach bar is where its at! Usually there were things going on in the main lobby as well, whether is was people dancing and getting the crowd going, or just singers performing. The is a HUGE casion within walking distance RIGHT outside the resort if you are into that sort of thing. We went off the resort during the day and felt safe.

I could go on about all the things I loved about this resort! If I could give a few tips to finish this review off these would be them:
1. Tip the workers there if you feel they've done a good job! They dont expect it, but even a small tip goes a long way, and they are very greatful for it.
2. Wear a smile, you are on vacation....and smiles are universal...you get what you give. These people are working hard for much less than what we have.
3. Be patient, again you are on vacation, dominican time is much slower and calmer than we may be used to...but trust that you will get what you request.
4. Ask when checking in (if not already) if they can upgrade you...even if you pay an extra $50 under the table to the front desk, its WORTH IT for the reserve upgrade!
5. Try and venture off the resort and experience the real world life of the people in Dominican
6. DONT LISTEN TO THE PEOPLE THAT ONLY HAVE BAD THINGS TO SAY. Yes there are some small things (like the water temperature) that may not be perfect...but what in life is?? This resort is great and you'd be missing out if you didnt stay here because some ungrateful person felt the need to write only terrible things. (poor them and the people that must be around them in their everyday "stressful working lives")

Enjoy your stay here. Go with no expectations but the expectation to relax and not think about work! I would go back to this resort in a heartbeat!!

12 Thank Grdnier
Paradisus P, General Manager at The Reserve at Paradisus Punta Cana, responded to this review, February 28, 2013
Dear guest,

I would like to thank you in behalf of the whole staff for your detailed and positive review to all the trip advisor´s travelers. We really appreciate the how much you enjoyed all our facilities!
You hit on all the major highlights of our property, the rooms, the beach, a staff that strives to serve you... We hope you come back and stay with us again very soon.
Newmarket
Reviewed February 15, 2013

I was quite skeptical of staying at this resort after reading all the negative reviews. We arrived on Feb 7th and we were met at reception with an icy cold cocktail and cold 'towels' for our face that smelled absolutely wonderful! We were completely delighted to receive a complimentary upgrade to the Reserve section of the hotel. This hotel is BEAUTIFUL with well kept grounds, water features and rooms. Although you could take a trolley around the grounds to the beach and restaurant areas, we found walking the short distance to be very pleasant (and I have REALLY bad feet!) so we chose that option instead. It would probably be a 2-3 minute walk from the Reserve (front of hotel) to the beach. Our room was HUGE with two couches, a chair, a dining area, small kitchenette with mini bar, one bedroom, two bathrooms - one with a giant jacuzzi and double sinks and the other with a sink, shower with many heads and a separate toilet. There is a large keypad safe in the closet. There was also a nice balcony. The food at this resort was EXCELLENT, a great variety at every lunch and dinner buffet and the al a cart restaurants were beyond expectation. My favorites were Palazzo (Italian) and Vento (Mediterranean). Some of our meals were like being at a high end restaurant at home. The house wines were excellent and I am looking into purchasing some of them at home. We enjoyed the golf (yes the carts are $65 per person) every day and found the course well kept and challenging. The pool was supreme and the staff attentive to asking us if we needed drinks about 2x per hour. I highly recommend the "Night and Day with rum"! They were generous with the alcohol and asked if we wanted 'special' alcohol (top shelf)without us having to ask but honestly their brands were excellent. ALL of the staff were cheerful and very good at their jobs. Our concierge "Jerardine" was wonderful and helped with all our reservations for restaurants and golf and even the flight home. We were never turned down for a reservation. The beach is awesome but a bit too much undertow for my weak swimming skills ;( but it was lovely for a walk and dip along the edge. There were a ton of activities going on so there is no way you should ever get bored. The Reserve pool is definitely quieter than the beach/main pool. There were a ton of chairs, chaises, and little 'cubby hole' areas to lounge in. We never had any issue getting a wonderful spot on any day no matter what the time. We also NEVER encountered anyone asking us to listen to a sales pitch for purchasing a condo and did not see anyone else getting asked either. I would love to return to this hotel. Forgot to mention: the airport is small and you deplane on the tarmack. It is delightful! We whisked through customs and there was a trio of gentlemen who played music when you arrived and left.

Room Tip: We stayed in 3418 in the Reserve and it was quiet and peaceful. Never heard the other guests. Very m...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank PooHoosMom
Paradisus P, General Manager at The Reserve at Paradisus Punta Cana, responded to this review, February 19, 2013
Dear guest,

Thank you so much for your feedback.

As a General Manager it is very satisfying to read that you enjoyed every aspect of our facilities, from the grounds, the food, to the activities and golf to our staff! Thank you for sharing your experience with us.

We look forward to welcome you back, every vacation in Paradisus is always a new experience and we are here to make sure it would be better than the last one.

Best Regards from The Reserve Paradisus Punta Cana,

Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed February 14, 2013

I would give 4.5 stars if I could... went with 4, because there are a few things that could slightly improve.

Setting the Scene, Beach and Ocean:

My boyfriend and I are 29 and both pretty well traveled. We like nice things but don't require royal treatment... regardless, that's exactly what we got at Paradisus Punta Cana.

We booked our trip to Punta Cana through Cheapcaribbean.com, and they were fantastic.When we got to the resort, the guy checking us in told us they would upgrade us from the Regular area to the Reserve, which is where those people who have timeshares stay. We asked him what the catch was a million times and were assured there was none. He was almost right, except for a mild pressure to attend the timeshare presentation but we just said no and there was nothing they could do about it. It was totally worth the upgrade because it got us on the private beach where we had our own beach waiter (shout out to Mikey Mikey, and Ramon :) who always kept our drinks flowing to us under our private cabanas with a beautiful view of the crystal clear blue ocean and white sand. The rest of the beach area was great too, there were plenty of places to tuck away and get a nice change of scenery... from the brightly colored hammocks, to the regular beach chairs, and the high top bar tables right in the sand.

The weather was beautiful for February, low to mid 80s every day. The ocean was warm and refreshing. It only rained for a matter of minutes the whole 5 days we were there.

Resort and Room:

Now on to the resort. It was BEAUTIFUL. It is like a little village with multiple clusters of buildings, some restaurants, some rooms, some lobbies/bars/casino/stages/entertainment. The landscape was as beautiful as all the reviews say. It is very well kept and there are multiple beautiful pools. Our room was really nice with a big living room, bedroom, bathroom with a Jacuzzi, and a separate room for the shower and toilet, plus a kitchen area with stocked mini fridge (note - only complaint was that it was 99% sodas and 2 beers only.. coulda used more room beer).

Night Life and Food:

The food at the buffet was better than we expected after reading the reviews. Yes, there wasn't much variety from meal to meal, but it was a large spread and we always found something we wanted. At dinner, we made reservations at 3 of the a la carte restaurants: Mexican, Hibachi, and Steak House. The first two were good, the Steak House was great! Book your a la carte dinners through your concierge as soon as you get there. They book up quick. Also, I recommend booking late dinners. Our favorite part of the day was when everyone else left the beach around 4 to go get ready for dinner and we would grab a hammock or a chase lounge and just chill as the sun went down.

At night, we caught a couple cool shows in the lobby bar area, including break dancers (very cool) and a Dominican band. Then we would usually head into the casino. It was small but fun.They didn't seem to be ripping us off as we saw in reviews for other resorts. But... who knows? We left breaking even between the two of us (I was down...)

All in all, we had an amazing trip and when we go back, we wouldn't stay anywhere else.

Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Carlynsal
Paradisus P, General Manager at The Reserve at Paradisus Punta Cana, responded to this review, February 21, 2013
Dear Carlyn,

Thank you so much for you detailed review, we really appreciate the time you took to share your experience with us at The Reserve at Paradisus Punta Cana with the others travelers on trip advisor.

It is very satisfying for us to read that our guests experience a lot of our facilities and services as you did and even more to read that really enjoyed them.
Thank you so much for your compliments and for your suggestion about the beers variety which we are taking under consideration.

I will like to invite you to come back soon to provide you another lovely stay.

Brick, New Jersey
Reviewed February 14, 2013

We had a wonderful time last weekend at Paradisus Punta Cana. Ramierez and Massiel were great. Massiel was the best animation and I personally danced with her. Ramierez walked us around toour room and showed us whatever we needed to know. At the reserved beach we were treated wonderfully by Mikey the drink guy. He was the best ever. He was friendly and fun. We would go back to this resort another time definately.

1 Thank Bob K
Dear Bob,

I would like to thank you so much for your recognition on our staff. They really work hard and we feel very proud to read how well treated did you feel in your stay at The Reserve at Paradisus Punta Cana, since that is definitely our intention.
I invite you to come back soon! We will love to host you again.

Once again, Thank you so much.

General Manager.
Edmonton, Canada
Reviewed February 14, 2013

We stayed at the Reserve over the Christmas holidays. The grounds of this resort are very well maintained and very very beautiful. The staff work very hard and take good care of guests. Worthy of particular mention are Maiker Ramirez and Ramon Ramirez at the Reserve section beach who are wonderful employees and outstanding at their jobs. The one bedroom suite we stayed in was very good but some room for improvement - it took for ever for the water in the shower to turn hot. The food at the resort was not great but the staff put in the effort to make some vegetarian dishes for us - much appreciated. The beach is great.
Now for the not so good aspects: Avoid the Melia salesmen in white like you would the plague. It is despicable that management thinks that it is perfectly ok for them to cart unsuspecting (oh yeah they trick you into it if you arent as careful as I was!) guests into presentation sessions under the guise of "meeting with your family concierge". The "men in white" constantly harass you to sign up for one. Cheap and crude sales tactics not becoming of a resort that is otherwise a great one to go to

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank OilerFan_13
Dear guest,

Thank you so much for taking the time to review your experience with us, it is much appreciate to read that you recognize the hard work of our staff, which whom I will definitely share your words.

Regarding the Club Melia concierge, this is an aspect in which we are working since I have received some feedback about it. Club Melia Concierge is to provide service to our guests, information about our Vacation Club and that shouldn’t create any negative feelings of obligation on the part of our guests as this is definitely not our intention. I apologize for the impression you may have received.

We really hope to welcome you in a near future.

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States
Reviewed February 14, 2013

The resort has change since last year with new management and restaurants. This was the third year that the six of us vacationed at Paradisus. We enjoyed fine dining at 9 different restaurants in ten days. Some major differences from last year to this year were that the beach bar is gone and the Gabbi Club was put in its place and that reservations were necessary for most of the restaurants. We were Reserve guest and had a concierge assigned to us, her name was Sanny. She was great and extremely helpful with everything we wanted or needed including dinner reservations. Her manager, Nathanael Perez, was phenomenal; he was everywhere, all of the time, at the bars, restaurants, the shows. He was always available and wanted to make sure that your vacation was as good as you had expected. I would recommend Paradisue to anyone who wants clean beaches, good food, cold drinks and a staff that makes you feel like you’re the only guest at the resort.

Room Tip: In the 3 years that we have been there we were in 3 different buildings and all were good, but get a...
1 Thank Dan L
Dear Dan,

Thank you so much for your review and thank you so much for your usual visit.
I’m very glad to read that you enjoy almost all our restaurants as well as the service of our staff.
We hope to welcome you back by 4th time next year if not before, we love to host big family Parties.
We look forward for your next stay.

Warmest Regards,