“Fabulous Vacation”

The Reserve at Paradisus Punta Cana
Ranked #6 of 114 Hotels in Punta Cana
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed December 25, 2012

This was our second time at this resort and we have only returned to a resort once before. First off, I love Domincan Republic for its beaches and weather. The beach in front of Paradisus is the widest on the island and clean. Maiker and Ramon on the beach take care of all your eating and drinking needs all day. they are so nice. The rooms are gorgeous and gigantic. you control your own temperature. The rooms get cleaned twice a day. and they are quiet! Asia our concierge took care of all our needs in the room. Silvio the head concierge took care of all our reservations. The breakfasts were excellent. The lunches were excellent. I would say the dinners were above average. All teh service people were genuinly nice, happy, and helpful. Everyone speaks great English. A little Spanish goes along way. We plan on going back. Oh most importantly our 3 year old daughter spent most of the time in the kids zone/ Nathali, Berlis, Yahairo, and Ruth took exceelent care of our daughter. They treatd her like their own. Our daughter did not even wnat to come home. She had a fantastic time. We will be going back!

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Lisa F
Paradisus P, General Manager at The Reserve at Paradisus Punta Cana, responded to this reviewResponded January 4, 2013

Dear Lisa,

Thank you so much for such a wonderful review! We are in agreement with you and so many others who have mentioned the staff as an asset to our hotel. They all do an amazing job, and we are very grateful for that.

Our special appreciation for recommending us on this site and having already made your decision to revisit. Please, do send us a note with your requirements and we will be delighted in looking after them.

Warmest Regards from Paradisus Punta Cana

Eduardo Perera

Write a ReviewReviews (5,559)

Reviewed December 24, 2012

We were at the reserve at paradisus punta cana from December 7-14, and it exceeded expectations all around! The entire 100 acre property is gorgeous, and every little detail is kept up to a very high standard. Our room was beautiful and spacious, the jacuzzi was huge, and we were on the third floor of our building, so we had a nice view of the pool, Gabon club and some gardens. The reserve is about a 7 or 8 minute walk to the beach, which we felt helped to burn off some of the booze we had been drinking (the bartenders mix your drinks more than half alcohol if you don't watch them, they are definitely not cheap with the booze!) but there is also a regular shuttle if you don't feel like walking... The food was good, not spectacular, but you definitely won't starve, and we had no complaints. The nightly entertainment was well worth watching, they keep the shows to about 45 minutes, and then the bar outside of the theater seemed to always be fun when the show let out. The staff all over the resort was awesome, they are hard working, friendly, energetic, and really seem to want you to enjoy every aspect of your vacation... Luis Almate at the burger grill, Santos frias and Santos almante at the reserve pool,Jorge Luis vilora, and Roberto espinnal at the main lobby bar, just to name a few we're VERY entertaining! The resort seems well laid out, and they have paid very close attention to every last detail! For the first several days, our concierge very politely tried to get us to sit through their "melia club" presentation to sell us a membership, but when I told her that we weren't interested and would rather not do the presentation, she was very polite, didnt pressure us at all, and didnt mention it again. We had no complaints during our stay, and would recommend this resort to everyone!

• Stayed: December 2012
2  Thank Adamandjen17
Paradisus P, General Manager at The Reserve at Paradisus Punta Cana, responded to this reviewResponded February 4, 2013

Dear Adam,

I would like to thank you for letting us make your stay at "The perfect vacation". I am glad to know we have completely fulfilled your expectations and for recommending us.
I would like to thank you for your mention of some of our staff members in this review as it is thanks to our staff members that we are able to accomplish our goal - the total satisfaction of our guests.

Adam, it will be an honor to host your future stays.

Best Regards,

General Manager.

Reviewed December 20, 2012

Guaranteed to be one of your most memorable and enjoyable vacations on the island! The property lives up to its name ... Paradise! You are not simply at a resort. You are in the middle of nature in all its splendor and glory. By far, more than any other resort, it has removed virtually all aspects of commercialism that is typical of hotels in the area. The accomodations at the Reserve are excellent as is the attention to detail. Everyone, from housekeeping to the personal concierge were focussed on our satisfaction and beyond. Food was excellent and the selections will satisfy the hungriest to those vegetarians fussy about what they eat. The ambiance reflected in each restaurant is very impressive from island warmth to cosmopolitan sophistication. Each one will leave a lasting impression. Quality of the food was very high. Beaches were immaculate and postcard perfect. I have to single out Yelissa at the Reserve registration desk, our personal concierge and two other very special people. Santiago who puts on the show of shows at the Japaneese Restaurant. His tapanaki cooking and entertaining skills are second to none. Also, my high Kudos to Mariana at the Reserve. She is the epitomy of customer service! Making sure you are more than satisfied and not only enjoying your stay but LOVING it is her mission at the Paradisus. She and her staff at the Reserve back up their talk with solid and meaningful action. When it comes to the Resreve at the Paradisus in Punta Cana Paradise and little bit of Heaven is here on earth! Stayed December 1st to 8th, 2012. Tom C.

Room Tip: You can't miss no matter where you are!
1  Thank Tom C

Dear Tom,

We are quite glad to know your expectations on your stay with us were surpassed. We know it is our staff the most important asset and we will pass your comments on to the ones you mention, but we also appreciate you have posted your comments on Trip advisor.

Once again Thank you so much, please do not hesitate in contact us for your next holiday.

Sincerely

Reviewed December 19, 2012

My wife and I just returned from a stay at the Reserve at Paradisus Punta Cana from December 13 - 17, 2012. We were there with a group of 6 (3 couples) who all stayed in the Reserve.

Overall, I'd rate our stay as very good. There were some hiccups, but they didn't prevent us from thoroughly enjoying the vacation.

Issues:

Upon arrival, we got dropped off at the wrong resort. We booked hotel transfers with our package, but the shuttle left us at the Paradisus Palma Real instead of the Paradisus Punta Cana. We ended up paying for a cab to take us to the correct resort. This was a very unpleasant way to begin our vacation.

Just about every day from morning to night fall, there were no lights in our room. Originally, we though it was the entire resort, but on the last day, we found out others had lights. Since we thought everyone was impacted, we didn't mention it to anyone at the resort. It was an inconvenience, but we made due.

We were treated rudely by members of the casino staff one night. One of the supervisors was the rudest. I'd rather not share her name here, but she seemed to try her best to ruin our night. We took a cab ride to a casino at another resort and had a very good time.

The resort food was average, at best...especially for lunch. This was a real sore spot for me. That being said, there was always something I could find to eat. I just wound up eating very lightly for some meals.

Great stuff:

The resort is absolutely beautiful. The landscaping is immaculate and the plants are a rainbow of wondrous colors.

I think the beach might be the best I've seen in my travels so far. Beautiful, light blue water...soft, white sands...it was very windy, but neither my wife nor I waded out into the water anyway...we just walked along the beach, so it was perfect for us.

Paradisus has the nicest beach furniture and setup of all the hotels we walked by...and we walked about a 2 mile stretch of the beach.

The staff at the Reserve is awesome! They interacted with us and did all they could to satisfy any request we had. I'll give some shot-outs at the end.

Great bartenders all over the resort! Very lively...very personable...will go out of their way to make sure you enjoy yourself.

Our room was great (other than the lights). Big jacuzzi...big, fluffy bed...nice sitting area...well kept and maintained.

Breakfast at the beach restaurant and dinner at the Japanese restaurant were the highlights for us, and although we didn't eat there, we heard the steak restaurant was very good.

Tons of activities. We didn't catch any of the shows...didn't do any of the scheduled, daily activities...but, we still stayed busy every day we were there.

We took an ATV Excursion that was awesome! Took us through the country side...through villages...to a different stretch of beach...to a cave...to a tobacco, spice, coffee, shop, etc. We really, really enjoyed that excursion. Booked it in the main lobby.

For my wife's birthday dinner, we ate at the Italian dinner restaurant. Food was OK. Place is beautiful. Ambiance was romantic. They brought out a cake and the staff sang what I believe was 'Happy Birthday' in Spanish. I used resort credits towards a few bottles of good wine to replace the so-so house wines.

Overall:

It was a great extended weekend getaway. I'd like to give a special thanks to some of the resort staff that really made our trip enjoyable and an experience that we'll remember forever. If I forget anyone or mispell anyone's name, please forgive me...or, better yet, blame it on Marcos and the constant flow of Caipirinha's:

Ovidio and Silvio (Family Concierges at the Reserve) - Thank you both VERY MUCH for helping to make all the plans for my wife's birthday celebration and the entire weekend! You guys really made our trip great.

Diosmary (Reserve Front Desk) - Did all she could to satisfy any and all requests from our group. Wonderful personality...by the time we left, it felt like we were leaving an old friend.

Marcos (Bartender at Reserve Pool Bar) - Even on sleepy mornings, he would get us perked up and ready for another day. We tried everything for the first couple of days before we each settled into our favorites. As I mentioned, mine was the Caipirinha, and Marcos made the best on the resort. He even filled up two "Bubba Mugs" for me on the day we took the 2 mile beach walk. Marcos is the man!

The Reserve at Paradisus Punta Cana is a great place to vacation, especially considering the value. For us, the staff and the aesthetic beauty made all the difference. Punta Cana is somewhere we've decided is on the list to consider visiting again in the future, and if we do, we'll consider going back to the Reserve at Paradisus Punta Cana.

Room Tip: Go for the Reserve or Royal Service. Definitely worth the extra money, based on reading reviews of...
Reviewed December 17, 2012

Am excited about taking a group to Paradisus! Beautiful property - lots of natural landscapes throughout. The people are super nice. Five star service! Several pools, lots of bars and restaurants. Beach area was very deep and clean. Lots of seating. Great place for families as well. The golf course was nice and so convenient to take the trolley over. Love the idea of separate pool for families. The Reserve was well worth it. Very, very attentive - but the whole resort staff really was. The grill at the pool area did keep running out of food......not sure why. But all in all - highly recommend the resort! Had already recommended to a friend before I went and she took family on spring break. They usually stay in 5 star hotels - had a great, great time.

Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business

Dear Elaine,

Thank you so much for sharing your experience with the trip advisor community.
I’m glad to read that you consider our resort to be a beautiful property and that you had a great time.
Thank you so much for recommending us, we really hope to welcome you back soon in a near future.

Best Regards,

Reviewed December 15, 2012

This was my first visit to beautiful Punta Cana and it will not be my last! I had a fantastic time made even more special by the superior accommodations and friendly attentive staff at The Reserve at Paradisus Punta Cana. Lilin Diaz and Diosmeri Francisco at the front desk guided me throughout my one week stay. I felt safe and cared for which was so important to me as I was traveling solo. It goes without saying that the resort is perfection. My corner one bedroom suite with jacuzzi and balcony was spacious, clean, and sunny. The beach, pools, spa, gym, restaurants, and bars were excellent! It was nice to enter the gym and be handed a water bottle & towel with a friendly hello.

Jose De Los Santos at both the Reserve Pool and Beach made a lasting impression on me! He was there with towels and drinks without having to ask as if he could anticipate my every need. His friendly conversation and warm smile truly made my vacation extra special. His coworker Mikal was also very sweet! At Gabi, the poolside restaurant where I ate breakfast and lunch most days, the staff could not have been more pleasant! Whether it was Santos bringing me specially brewed Dominican coffee or the ear to ear smiles from Jorge Fidel making my day with his prompt attentive service. Jorge was also my server at Vento Restaurant for dinner where I ate several nights. He somehow managed to make me feel like I was his only guest from suggesting a dish or making me a special dessert, Jorge must be commended for his friendly and gracious service!
Let me not forget the two most wonderful people who made me feel very special at Fuego Restaurant. My servers were Daniel Encarnacion and Marilin Villa. Trust me on this one....go to this restaurant more than once. I had two fabulous meals there and Ithe food is creative and delicious. But again it was Daniel and Marilin who gave me advise on the food and wine and made friendly conversation during my meal so much so that I felt like a VIP!
Being solo at The Reserve at Paradisus Punta Cana was unusual but I was always made to feel relaxed, happy, and completely well-cared for. I am recommending this resort to all and I am looking forward to returning soon!

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank Pam S

Dear Pam,

I’m so glad to read that you consider our Paradisus Punta Cana to be ¨perfection¨.
It made me feel really proud to read all those names on your review, we are lucky to have such a good staff, they are definitely the most important asset for us.

We can’t wait to welcome you again, please contact us before your next stay.

Warmest regards from Punta Cana

Reviewed December 14, 2012

Let me start of with the Cons....
-i read some of the reviews written down and what i can agree on is the noise of the trolleys and mopeds being driven. i think our room might of also been located close to where garbage was picked up? so in the middle of the night that was a bit disruptive
-the service at the nonbuffet restaurants was slow considering that this was not their busy high season, so not all the tables were fiilled. i was most displeased with our service at the palazzo restaurant on our last night as we were the service was extremely slow and the waiter didnt seem to care at all. i had high expectations for the palazzo and was highly disappointed
-it was annoying/inconvenient to have to make reservations for other a la carte dinner options in the morning considering that my boyfriend and i were quite active during our stay
-there is always a $5 room service delivery charge and the menu for room service is pretty limited
-the employee working the activities area where the rockclimbing/batting cages/biking was a bit rude and a bit impatient when we were trying to choose a comfortable bike to ride. he gave me the impression that he thought were being divas
-the shows (we tried watching a show 1/5 nights we were there) werent that impressive, but we didnt come to DR with wanting to watch shows...so that was much of a Con

so i know it seems that there might be alot of Cons but i would still rate this at 4.5 considering my experiences at past hotels ranging from the W to the Westin and so and so on...
so here comes the Pros and why i would recommend my own friends to come
-the service is outstanding (besides that activities worker who i only had to talk to for like 2 minutes out of my 6 day stay). Each building at the reserve keeps 2 employees at the buildings own little lobby and they were super friendly and always asked as how our experience was. we would even receive phone calls on how our experience was
-They had tried to sell us on joining Club Melia but when we said we weren't interested they were so very respectful and not pushy (something i cant say the same about from other resorts)
While i see that some reviewers have complained about waiting for rides from their building, we experienced something quite different. The two employees at the buildings would usually call us to get a ride, if not they trolley would always come every 5-10 minutes. The trolley rides around the grounds was always pleasant as it would gives us time to appreciate the beauty of the grounds.
-The grounds are well kept and everywhere you go, the scenery is just so breathtaking. Everyones opinions are obviously subjective and a bit biased. For me and my boyfriend this was really what won us. We really felt like we escaped to a beautiful place and waking up to this type of environment with amazing weather was what really made this feel like a vacation. We fully appreciate how well kept the grounds are as I know how much work that takes.
-The beach is amazing. my boyfriend and i took a walk down the shore and compared how other resorts kept their beachfront. The paradisus punta cana had more up to date beach furnitier as well as variety from beds to individual lounge chairs and several little huts for shade. The reserve and royal services also had their own exclusive private areas with great waiter service.
-The beach also had a fun activies center (very much the opposite in the Cons i wrote). In this area they would have dance classes, organize games, volleyball games, etc. The excursions offered were also so much fun and well worth the money
-the drinks/cocktails were great! top shelf labels too!
-i do agree with one reviewers complaint about the resort credit..to a small extent. the way we viewed the resort credits was that just a plus to what we already knew what we were paying for. we only used the resort credit for the casino. and that resort credit was basically like getting free money to bet with ...cant complain about that. and on all the nites we gambled we won $ so even better
-the pool at the reserve is so relaxing, clean, and up to date. i enjoyed the exclusivity of the reserve pool as there were not that many guests. it felt quite private.
-we stayed in a one bedroom suite and were very happy with the set up and space. the bed was comfortable, bathroom was clean (no molding or anything of that sort). we had a nice large jacuzzi which was lovely. daily maid service/turn down service was always great.
-i felt safe staying at this hotel. they had security on the beach was reassuring. not that there were ever any instances where security had to intervene but it was still comforting to know they were there just in case any non-guests tried to come on the hotel grounds through the beach
-there was always so much to do at the resort, from playing tennis to the beach activities to going to their gym which offered classes (spinning, yoga, pilates, kickboxing, and more)

overall im giving the Reserve a 5 because the Cons were minimal. the pros definitely outweighed the cons. if i could give some constructive criticism to management i would just say to work on the service/table turnaround with the dinner restaurants, work on unifying the resort more--at times we felt a bit lost with what was going at what time, which was where because the place is like a town.