“A great pick me up.”
Review of whala!bavaro

whala!bavaro
Ranked #83 of 112 Hotels in Punta Cana
Reviewed March 14, 2013

Have been to more swanky places in my life but had a good time here. Its a got a good feel and as I always say, if you feel comfortable and relaxed somewhere, then they must be doing something right. Very nice, quiet location and good stretch of beach. We ate well and enjoyed taking things easy and spent a lot of time just lounging around the pool or beach. The staff keep the whole hotel very clean and after shopping around and doing a bit of research in the area I think it is very competitively priced. I for one can happily recommend Whala as a place to stay.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (1,026)

Reviewed March 11, 2013

Stayed here 2 weeks and the hotel suited my expectations very well.
Most of the guest have an all-inclusive stay and the restaurant can be fairly full at dinnertime.
Food was fine and the juice and fresh fruit at breakfast absolutely delicious.
I swapped to another room as the first one I got was rather dark due to a wall 4 meters from my balcony door. Moved 2 stories up and got a fantastic room with large balcony, walk-in closet and big bathroom; loved it!

The maid was so nice; remember to tip them; they deserve it!
Reception was open 7 am-11 pm and they spoke inpecable English. They were in every way both helpful, welcoming and very likeable.

The fridge in the room was rather noisy, this being my one and only complaint.

Beach was 2 minutes walking distance away. They have chairs for their guests, but this part of the beach is small and can be faily crowded but move 30 meters and you are just fine.

Contrary to most hotels in the beach area this is not an enclosed resort, however they do have guards on the premises 24/7. I enjoyed not having to go through gates to leave or access the premises. They have a restaurant Rincón Mágico where I got the best lobster I have ever tasted. DJ TygA played at the beachbar as well as the restaurant in the hotel and this was really a great feature.
I will stay here if I revisit Punta Cana.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled solo
7  Thank Maj J
Reviewed March 10, 2013

We travelled in February and had a wonderful time.The staff always said hello and smiled when they passed you by and the receptionists were very helpful in giving us information about where we would have enjoyable day trips.The rooms themselves are kept clean with maids coming in regularly to change the towels and sheets.There is an outdoor swimming pool with plenty of sun loungers but we found most people went directly to the beach to enjoy the sun and fantastic views.It is a hotel that you can relax in and really do your own thing at your own pace.Glad to also say that the food served was of high quality and the drinks and especially the cocktails were always good.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Warren H
Reviewed March 10, 2013

Last time I was here I was with my parents and I wanted to take my own family back to Bavaro for some sea and sunshine and Bavaro is not the same as I remember and it has changed very much but the beach and good weather remains the same. I remember that everyone was Spanish when I went to Bavaro but now you find people of every nationality and that is great and it makes it more entertaining. The hotel room at the Whala are not 5 star hotel rooms and they are not impressive but they are very clean, large and comfortable. We would give it an honest 4.5 stars when you take into account what we paid. If I had paid prices of a 5 star hotel I would give it 2 or 3 stars but price factor was important for us and we came back home missing the Dominican people, music and the Caribbean weather.

Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank Pujol F
Reviewed March 7, 2013

We went to this hotel for a week with my wife. We got a very good deal, even better than similar hotels in Cuba. This is a small hotel, not a big resort. The hotel is old and first impression is very depressing. Additionally, it is located right to the local street where there is a lot of traffic due to buses used to transport the tourists, neighbor construction and locals coming to the beach with small motorbikes. As rooms are not well isolated, you can imagine, not easy to have a quiet sleep. Additionally, the smell from those vehicles is really bad – I have impression they don’t use unleaded gas…
Food at the hotel is rather repetitive, but quite tasty. Be careful, some tables are small and not very stable. There is only one buffet, and it is understaffed. Often you need to look by yourself for glasses or cutlery. Coffee from coffee machine is horrible.
Hotel staff doesn’t speak English, except of manager and reception desk.
The hotel has a nice private beach, but it is rather small and usually crowded.
So if you decide to go to this hotel set your expectation accordingly.
However after few days, I developed some appreciation. Hotel is small, so you don’t need to walk 20 minutes to get food. Staff is working well; reception desk is quite efficient in case of problems – if your room was not done, so they will insure that it will be cleaned very soon. Also, we had AC not functional, but it was repaired the same day. Hotel is generally cleaned well; our room was done very well. Beach is not far, and is cleaned from seaweed every day.
Indeed a small French bakery is good, not expensive and has a great choice of good quality of coffee and patisseries. Again, they only speak Spanish, but you have free Wi-Fi.
In summary, I’m not sure it is better than Cuba…Cayo Coco beaches are bigger and nicer…but you have no contact with local population…

Room Tip: Far from street
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Paleckingkonga
Reviewed March 6, 2013

First timer to D.R. but liked the place and also liked this hotel. It is pretty simple in layout and not a very big place which suits us better. Liked the big open lobby area as you enter and staff are very accommodating. Asked for a ground floor and they managed to sort it for us and also delivered the requested extra pillows in record speed. We spent quite a bit of time round the pool and always found a good atmosphere, and at the beach you find that true Caribbean vibe. Beautiful ocean to swim in. The food and drinks were great all round and our week at Whala was a resounding success!

Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank John_M60763
Reviewed March 3, 2013

Travelled in January and stayed 2 weeks at this hotel. My wife and I thought that the whole hotel had a nice feeling about it and liked that it wasn't the cold and modern type place that most hotels seem to be morphing into nowadays. It is quite classic and standard in many respects, but the customer service and warmth of the staff is really exceptional. Ater a long journey there it was such a relief to feel genuinely welcomed and we cant find anything negative to say about the staff at all. It has nice outside gardens and a big, clean pool and beach just steps away. The restaurant is well above average and we really missed the fantastic buffet when we got back home! I wouldn't think it is the type of place to bring kids as it is more of a lie back and soak up the sun with a cocktail type of place, but for us 2 travelling without the kids this time it was spot on.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple