“Pedantic, artificial and lack of atmosphere”

Passion by Martin Berasategui at Paradisus Palma Real
Ranked #3 of 331 Restaurants in Punta Cana
Cuisines: Spanish, Contemporary
Good for: Romantic
Dining options: Late Night, Private Dining, Reservations
Reviewed October 6, 2013

I'm driven to write about this terribly over the top restaurant with more style than substance. We went to have dinner here partly due to the Trip Advisor reviews and partly due to recommendations from our hotel. I try to only review either excellent or very poor places and this was very very poor. Additionally I/we have been to many high end restaurants in London, Europe and the US.

We were given disapproving looks/noises as we hadn't booked (as we were informed we didn't need to when we phoned to book 2 nights before), only to find the restaurant was empty. The service was attentive and stylish, much more so than the mixture of taster menu and courses our group of 4 had. The food was well presented but lacked flavour, cohesiveness and was not locally sourced - I know, I asked. It was all drama with no substance. Poor poor poor. I think Passion has forgotten that the restaurant is for eating 1st, 2nd and 3rd. Visual attractiveness and service, while important, only come into play if the food is tasty...

8  Thank ItsLondonBaby

Reviewed October 5, 2013

I was uncertain if my husband would eat here, or rather if the restaurant would accomodate a picky eater who only eats steak and potato. Many chefs won't alter their menu, especially if the have any notoriety. But Passion provided just what you would want. I opted for the tasting menu along with the wine pairing.I have never had such an amazing experience. Pablo de la Piedra, the restaurant manager, the servers, even the hostesses are impeccabily trained. The beef at the other restaurants at the resort was just ok, but not at Passion. My husband thought it was so good that he wanted to go back a second time. So that was what we did, although I ate off the a la carte menu on night #2. But if you are only going once, you must try the tasting menu. I hope that they serve the smoked potato soup with lobster, the night that you are there!

Reviewed October 1, 2013

Do the tasting menu - Your life will change. Despite not being included in the all inclusive, it is definitely worth the extra cost. Our compliments to the chef!

Reviewed September 25, 2013 via mobile

Amazing food. Totally worth the 45 dollar extra on top of the all inclusive resort. Had an amazing sensory experience. Tnx to the team

Reviewed September 19, 2013

Having eaten at fine establishments like Jean George's in NY and having lived in DC as an avid Zagat explorer, I was a skeptic paying to go here on our resort given I had paid so much for the All inclusive fees and could eat for free at any other place.

To my delight, this place was absolutely incredible. THe experience of the dining and food will leave a lifelong lasting memory. The fusion of tastes; so complex, yet also so harmonious makes me now understand why the French chefs are so renown. This is the kind of place you hope your friends and family get to experience once in their life. The waitstaff,as it has been throughout our stay, have been unbelievably professional/caring,etc. they treat you like royalty. I believe they exchanged our forks out about 12 times. Never has service felt as if it were so genuine as it was as Passion. cheers to the chef and staff!