“Absolutely Fabulous!!!!”

GreenLeadersBronze level
Warwick, Rhode Island
“Absolutely Fabulous!!!!”
Reviewed June 15, 2007

My hubby and I stayed at the PCP from 6/2-6/9 and we had a wonderful time. I am going to try to organized in this review, but I tend to ramble.
Firstly, the trip from PVD was fine to Charlotte, but then we waited 40 minutes on the tarmac due to traffic congestion and then 25 for someone to come and opoen the door to the plane. No biggie, our flight to PC was delayed 90 min. Still on vacation, no worries. We arrived in PÇ at 4:30, got our bags and went through customs in about 15 minutes. We were asked if we had food, and then waived through. Hubby agreed to let someone carry the bags 20 feet, because he's a nice guy!! Told Prieto tours were taking a taxi and 25 min. later we were at PCP with a glass of cold punch in our hand. We were given room 5209 with a cathedral ceiling and a larger balcony than the others. Plenty of drawer and closet space. Bathroom was large and I found lighted well, as others have not. The bed was a King with lots of pillows and very soft. The fridge had plenty of beer and soda. The maids cleaned morning and night and restocked everything. We tipped her $2 am and pm. VIP get towels in their room daily. You can go up to the dive shop for more during the day, By the end of the week we had 3 each!!

We had a great ocean view!!! Our VIP envelope was waiting for us as was the items in the room. At check in, we made a reservation for that night. One was made before arrival, but we decided against italian and went for Mare Nostrum.
After settling in, we went to the beach. Absolutely beautiful. We took a quick nap and then went back and made the rest of our restaurant reservations for the week. No problem.
Mare Nostrum - good seafod, right on the beach,
Brazilian - our least favorite. It is really buffet with them bringing different meats to your table.
Dominican - good, and a fun place.
I'll note that in the Brazilian and Dominican, people had on shorts, T's and even bathing suits!!
La Cave, nice place, good food, slow. But, again..who cares!!!
El Pescador, we paid to go (32pp) and it was probably our favorite. Less formal than Le Cave and really good seafood. Right on the beach and fun staff
The beach party is Monday nights and they have vendors come in. The buffet is in Mare Nostrum and they have tables and entertainment right on the beach.

We ate breakfast at the buffet every morning and lunch either there or at the smaller buffet at Mare Nostrum. We did try the Creperie one day. Bad mistake. I know people have raved, but.... The chicken and cheese was orange cheeze wiz and some very dark meat chicken with lots of gristle.. Coouldn't eat it.

Drinks were plentiful and we used our bubba keg, but saw NO ONE else with them. The bartenders kinda joked about them. We did tip with each drink order and left $2 at Breakfast and Lunch for our drink server. $ dollars at dinner and $10 at El Pescador, because they were so nice, In all honestly, we saw tipping VERY rarely.

We did our excursions with the hotel. $20 for snorkeling. Unfortunately, the water was very choppy and not great.
The free one hour boat trip was fun. We had booked the sunset cruise, but 3 days in a row it was cancelled. The boat driver was tired!!! Hubby did parasailing.

We spent most night in the lobby or at the beach bar. We did see the Italian's show over at Caribe, but never ventured to any of their other shows.

We only got top shelf liquor once in the lobby at PCP, everywhere else they don't have it. At Caribe, they lied and said they gave it to us, but we saw what they poured. Received and saw no one with bottled Presidente. None of this was a big deal to us.

We used our free 20 minute massage and purchased additional 55 min. and it was well worth it. The spa is lovely and would recommend it over the mini one at PCP. Caribe and the spa is only a 2-3 minute walk away. It took longer to wait for and take the trams.

I did have to see the doctor while there. My eyes were a bit swollen from too much sun. She gave me some shots and meds and checked me for the next 2 mornings before breakfast for additional meds. overall, it was $350 which my private and trip insurance will cover. Well worth it.

We did not bother stopping at the beach markets, because they were just too aggressive and the items looked too much like stuff I didn't want. I found nice T-shirts at the resort for a reasonable price and we bought jewelry, a painting and rum from the vendors the night of the beaqch partyl.

Overall, our stay was great!!!! The beach was wonderful..loved my floatie. The pool was never crowded. It was hard to find a palapa after 6am, but we managed. The food was good, not excellent, but not why we came.

Unfortunatelly, the trip home was not good. The flight out of PC was 4 hours delayed, so we missed our connection in Charlotte. Found a hotel at 1am, got up at 4 to go back to the airport to come home the next day. Luggage was lost, and when it arrived, the rum had broken and the bags were ripped. Kudos for trip insurance, once again.

Please feel free to contact me with any questions!!!!

9 Thank barb111

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (995)
  • Czech first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
NC
Reviewed June 8, 2007

My husband and I just returned from the Punta Cana Princess on Sunday, June 3rd. We traveled with 6 of our friends. Our experience was great! I feel I can say that for our entire group. We traveled from America. I must say, that we were some of the few Americans at this resort. That was interesting to say the least. We met several people from different countries. The diversity was great! We had not problems with immigration going into and leaving the Dominican. Once we arrived at the resort, the staff was very helpful. All of our rooms were spacious, very clean and stocked with a great mini bar. We took the advice from other reviews and tipped the maids each day. They always left us extra bottled water and drinks in our rooms. The food at the buffet was okay. Our group tends to like more spice and we found in this country, more sweet spices are used or none at all. But, we always found enough to eat! We ate at the Caribe twice. Our group upgraded to VIP. I strongly recommend this. You get the perks of the beds at the beach and the pool. I usually took our towels down to the beach around 7:00 am to save 2 to 3 beds and 8 lounge chairs. We never had a problem with enough space. The beach is large and very beautiful. Unlike another all-inclusive resort that my husband and I visited, at the Princess you could walk for miles up and down the shoreline. The sand was white and baby soft. The weather was great. Only one hard rain storm and a couple of afternoon showers. We took advantgage of our VIP motor sport package by taking a speed boat up the coast toward Dolphin Island. The driver stopped beside a "Rum-Runner" boat which was cruising the coast. Two words: BUBBA-KEG! Those in the know, will know what I mean! Overall, our experience was great. The one thing that was hard to adjust to was the topless beach. As Americans, we are not used to that. However, after the first day, it was not a big deal. I know the guys enjoyed it! We are all ready to go back. Definitely a world class resort. As many reviews here have said, your vacation is what you make of it. We certaintly made ours FUN! Oh, please say "HI" to Carlos if you visit the resort. He made the week alot of fun! THE LEGEND LIVES!

• Stayed May 2007, traveled with friends
6 Thank Crazy8NC
NYC
Reviewed June 5, 2007

Two of my friends and I (we are between 30-35) stayed at the PCP from 5/17-5/22. The experience was exceptional. We called in advance and requested a room in the 5000 building which is steps away from the beach as well as the pool. This building is a short walk to the lobby and buffet so keep that in mind. The entire grounds including the beach and pool were kept immaculate. The entire staff is super friendly ( Super Carlos (animation team) Nelson (beach bartender) Dhoralix (check in) Fior (buffet waitress) Alejandro ( buffet waiter) I can't recall everyone but they were all great. We took plenty of singles and the tipping was really appreciated. Our housekeeper kept the frig stocked as well as providing us with additional towels which was nice since we didn't have to request them. There was a large variety of food at the buffet. I've been to a couple of resorts in the Dominican Republic and this was one of the best. My friends and I were looking for a relaxing vacation and this suited us perfectly. We did the VIP upgrade which is well worth the additional $. Should you have any questions please do not hesitate to contact me.

• Liked — Everything :)
  • Disliked — Departing :(
  • Stayed May 2007, traveled with friends
5 Thank sonrisa129
nj
Reviewed June 5, 2007

we just returned from the pcp on june 5th, we had a great time, the hotel is nice and kept very clean. rooms are large and stocked with soda and dominican beer. the pool is large and never crowded. there never was a problem getting a lounge chair as some reviews stated, we did not need to go down and save a chair at 6am..same at the beach there is plenty. the food is average at the buffets, ala cartes are very good, we ate at all of them at the princess and 1 at the caribe...never disapointed.

as far as the vip goes, if you want it for the upgrade on the drinks only, dont bother they use the i dont understand you when it comes to asking for something premium, my husband got maybe 3 budweisers while there and they always had to go "find it". but everything else was well worth the vip. the room alone was worth the extra cash/ we had room 5211 beautiful pool and ocean view and all the extras beach towels, cigars rum....

all in all it was a great vaca spot . the beach is beautiful to say the least and the staff are excellent, very very nice...friendly...this is a very nice resort not a 5 star but a close 4 star in my opinion.

• Liked — beach location
  • Disliked — no elevator
9 Thank cher818
CT
Reviewed June 4, 2007

NO KIDS that's all we needed to know... The place is very nice and the staff works hard to please you. Take the VIP package, it really does pay for itself. You get a free dinner at Lacava, free back massage for both of you, rum and cigars in the room, beach towel service in the room, use of the VIP beds on the beach, 1 hour internet service for both of you (great for checking email and weather) 1 hour each free motorwater sport. Also the best booze can only be attained by VIP.
The VIP beds are nice on the beach because if you want a char with a hut close to the beach you better plan on getting up very very early and reserve one. Two things I learned about folks from other countries, they smoke like it's there last cig ever and they hog chairs... I really do love Americans, we are the best.
Email us I will tell u about the place. We would go back, Nice swim up bar. The pool does need some paint but we were mostly at the beach

• Liked — Big room clean
  • Disliked — no wash cloths
9 Thank CtBoaters
Dartmouth, Canada
Reviewed June 3, 2007

We went to the PCP for our honeymoon from may 13-20.What a fantastic place.Everything is immaculate,lobby,grounds,rooms,pool,restaurant,beach...just great.Employees are great and the service is top notch.Don't forget to bring $1 bills as they will be really appreciated at the bars.Don't forget the maids either,they work extremely hard.
A far as food goes,no complaints here,buffet was huge and it was basically impossible to not find at least a couple of things to like.A la carte restaurants were also good(we did La petite fondue,(which is excellent),tex mex,which is also very good,and the italian at the sister resort.
What more is there to say,just go and enjoy,you won't be disapointed.
If you ask for a room in the 5000 building,you will be minutes from the pool and beach.But the resort is small so everything is a very short walk.

• Stayed June 2007
7 Thank flytrumpet
Rye Brook, New York
Reviewed June 2, 2007

My husband and I stayed at the Punta Cana Princess All-Suites Resort from 5/25/07 to 6/1/07. This is a very well managed , highly maintained, small and personable “adults only” resort. We enjoyed it tremendously. The rooms, grounds, pool , beach, bars and restaurants are immaculate with a high emphasis on detail and personal touches. Please note that this is not an opulent resort, nor is it glitzy or lavish. If you are looking for something like that, then you may want to consider another property, or wait for Donald Trump’s mega million dollar resort to be completed which I understand is currently in the works. However, this resort is truly a bang for your buck!

I cannot speak highly enough about the staff here. Everyone is so friendly and they go out of their way to make you feel like special friends and guests, which is one of the reasons why a smaller scaled resort is so great. One does not get lost in a crowd in an understaffed, chaotic, large resort, but instead, one becomes noticed, appreciated and treated as if you really mattered, including knowing your name the next time any of the staff sees you. This resort also caters equally to a wide range of ages.

The restaurants, including the Buffet, were quite elegant and well decorated. The Il Bacio and Tex Mex Restaurants were adorable inside and the food was very good. The Buffet had so many items to choose from. I was so surprised. They really try hard to please everyone’s pallate. It was never difficult finding something that tasted good. La Cava Restaurant, which is at the Sister resort, was O.K., but we did not think the staff was friendly at all, and the service was slow.

This stretch of Bavaro beach is, in my opinion, just stunning. The location of the resort is exactly where you want to be. There is a large expansive shoreline in each direction which is terrific for long walks. It is delightful to play in the waves which are not overpowering, but yet are large enough to enjoy jumping over. Soft sand on your feet inside the water and out, are a real treat.

The only minor problems we had, was that we were never really sure when to expect our room to be cleaned and to be able to get fresh towels. It was hard to predict. I found that lots of towels are a real “must have”, as the ones from the day before get mildewy very fast and don’t dry out it. The only other small complaint would be that we wished they had more “live music”, such as a calypso band or perhaps some steel drums, or live dominican music. That would be nice. And, we wished that they kept the pool open past 7 p.m. for swimming in the evenings. We did not particularly like the beach vendors that sometimes don’t take “no” for an answer, but this is not the resort’s fault. They are everywhere, walking the beach and you sometimes just have to be very firm. But generally, they do not come directly onto the resort area.

If you want the very best views of the ocean, request rooms #5215 or #5216. #5217 is also wonderful, but that is the Honeymoon Suite. My husband and I stayed in room #5215 and we had a view to die for, as you will see from our photos!!!

Here are my tips for a great stay:

Tip with singles, do not give large tips to any one person, since we feel it is not fair to single any one person out. There are so many “behind the scene” staff that never see a dollar bill. Also, never leave a tip on the table. Give it directly to the hand of the ones you wish. Be extremely careful of slippery floors (all rooms are tiled, stair wells are tiled, and the pool tiles are like ice after a rain storm). Bring “Woolite” to wash some clothing. Things get sweaty fast. Bring 30 sunscreen and reapply all day long. Bring Pepto Bismal because you will notice an occasional stomach problem since the food, although good, is not prepared exactly like home. And with the heat, fancy fruit drinks, and dehydration that can occur, you may feel a little queezy. Additionally, when you swim in the waves, your stomach does flip flops. This doesn’t help. Bring a large insulated mug which is great for keeping drinks cool. Bring a Bubba Keg which you can use as an ice bucket in you room. The one they give you is not insulated. When at the Buffet, I found it was best to “sample” small bits of foods at first to find the ones that you prefer, then go back up and get a larger portion once you find the things you like.
Try and get up early in the morning to get a small beach hut for shade (by 8:00 a.m) if you can.

Punta Cana Airport:

We were quite impressed with this airport. It was fast and efficient. But please do not pay your $10 per person visitor’s fee more than once. You should only be paying this when you arrive, not when you depart. They asked us for it twice and I said no way. It was a scam, as they pocket this money.

All in all, we were overwhelmed and delighted with our choice to stay at the Punta Cana Princess. We highly recommend it to everyone and we will most certainly consider coming here again. The staff even surprised me with a birthday celebration which was totally unexpected during our stay. Please see all our photos attached. I am sure you will thorougly enjoy your stay at the Punta Cana Princess All Suites and Spa.

• Liked — The location and understated beauty of the resort, and friendliness of staff
  • Disliked — not knowing when to get fresh towels
20 Thank LadyBugDi