Punta Cana Princess All Suites Resort & Spa
GreenLeadersBronze level
orleans
“wonderful”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 26, 2010

WE stayed at this hotel for a week. The rooms were beautiful, the satf always smiling and helpful. The beach was clean, white sand and clear water. The food was great and with four restaurant a la carte plus four more at the sister hotel (Caribe Princess) we had a lot of choices to make. The buffet restaurant had a different theme every night also. Nice decor and excellent food. And yes the water pressure in our room wa great. A special thanks for the adj.gerencia ( Rafael Telichowski) who made us feel at home there. I will definatly go back again.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple
3 Thank jpdupuis

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (981)
  • Czech first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Toronto
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 25, 2010

Okay, so here is the deal...

I was very worried at first, but I am soo greatful that I stayed at this resort!

First Impressions
Steicy at the lobby... he is your man... Listen, be nice to people and they take care of you.
I emailed the hotel before I got there to get a room in building 4 on the second floor... had a super great room, great staff, my room was cleaned daily! Had no issues at all.
All 7 days, I was blessed with a great view of the ocean / pool and had top quality service from our cleaning lady "Maria". Tip well people, 2 - 3 dollars goes a long way when you travel...

Nightly activities, I am 28 so at night I wanted to party, and the shuttle to the disco / casino was fine. I got to come home to a quite relaxing resort, after being a disaster at another. Most nights I hung out at the beach looking at the stars sipping on my drink and smoking a nice cigar.

Forget the Steak House... Buffet is great, but also the Nostrum, "The Sea Food" resturant also serves a MEAN steak, and all you can eat lobster... Talk to David... Tell him Karim from Toronto told you about him. I spent a couple nights serving them drinks and food after hours, and hung out with them. Great people, he always took care of me, no questions asked. Got to meet the cooks and all the staff that night, and I felt like a super star at the resort for the rest of my trip, I would get table service at the buffets, again, a 2 - 3 dollar tip goes a long way.

Beach
Carlos, and Enzo... (Ernesto) Book all your water sports through Carlos, and your park or Ocean world trip through Ernesto, they are solid, trust worthy people. They even came with me to the market to buy cigars... They only make 200 bucks a month so take care of them! Even a bottle of water means a lot to these guys... As for the Beach; as everyone says must have been the most beautiful beach I have ever been to!

Overall...

I can go on for hours...

Going back in October... Enough Said.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple
2 Thank iC3Karim
port hope
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 25, 2010

My husband and I stayed for a week at the Princess. Beautiful resort. Food was excellent. Best part of all for El A Cartes, no booking. Staff was just fantastic. My husband and I have travelled alot, we never had a room this size before, provided with robes and slippers. We would definitely go again.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple
2 Thank wackywendy
Lanaken, Belgium
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 25, 2010

I've spent a week in this hotel in March 2010, all by myself, going for some kitesurfing holidays.

I've booked the hotel via a travel agency, so I got a double room in the building with the room numbers 2001-2216, which is right next to the reception. At first I was a bit worried about the distance to the sea, but it proved to be actually a nice and short walk only, while being a quiet location.

The room was very nice, clean, big and bright. The bathroom had no problems either. The fridge in the room was a tiny bit loud in the beginning, but after I've turned it off for half a day, so the ice have melted down from it, it worked fine. In the fridge there wasn't too much of a selection - two Sprites, two Cokes, two liters of water and two cans of beers. That was about it, couldn't even get more.
The A/C was a bit loud for me, so for the night I switched it off most of the time.
There is no elevator to the upper levels, so if you don't feel like taking the stairs every day to the second floor, it's not your place.

The Buffet restaurant was allright. I've eaten there almost all the time, and I can say I could always find something that I liked. The selection wasn't as wide as in the other hotel I've stayed in Punta Cana (Majestic), but it was good enough.
The pasta was good, desserts were all right and there was plenty of fruits.
I've especially liked the fact that (maybe due to it's "only above 18" policy) there were nice pancakes and waffels every morning at breakfast, and there were plenty of them, I've never seen a que there.

The other restaurant "Mare Nostrum" at the beach was more like a snackbar, but it was perfect for that! Close to the beach, you could just go and get a burger or something light, even in the middle of the night - it was my other favorite place.

The pool bar was also nice, the best cocktails were made there. Seriously, there was a major difference between the qualities of cocktails made in different places of the resort. The same cocktail (Coco loco) tasted much worse at the beach bar, but for some reason I could find no differences with banana mama and stuff like that.

The service... Well, this is the part where I say don't expect too much.
The reception service was just bad in my opinion. During all my stay, they were the least friendly and least helpful people. I've got there around 9 pm, and I've had to go through quite some explanation by the time the lady at the reception looked up my reservation and keys - even though as it turned out, that everything was already prepared in an envelope on her table! She was so unmotivated that I was really wondering what's going on. I thought it was maybe just one day, but she was like that all the time, so nothing has changed.
My plane was only leaving at 2100 hours, so I've asked for a late checkout if possible. The day before they told me it was, for some 70 USD I can stay in the room until 6 pm, but I have to come back on the day to confirm it. Ok, so I did. I was told by this aforementioned lady, that her boss is not there and there is no possibility for a late checkout. Ok, so i checked out at 12:00 hours. There was a room to leave the luggage, so I could go to the beach at least, but I had to take a shower on the beach and change clothes in the toilet, because they didn't offer any other possibility.
While I was waiting for pickup, I saw people coming out of their room around 17:30 with the stuffs, just doing their checkouts.
During all my stay I came to a conclusion, that you can only expect good service if you tip everyone very well. I think it's outrageous, having paid 1500 euros for a week vacation, to still kind of make me pay for a quality service.
Don't get me wrong, it's not about the money, it's the idea. if I get quality service I will tip the people, but if they do it the other way around it's not too nice.
The most friendly people were the waiters and waitresses in the restaurants - if you speak a tiny bit of Spanish, they'll be very friendly with you and will be friendly enough otherwise too.

No nightlife in the hotel, no disco - if you want to dance, you must go outside.

The beach is nice, clean and wide - no complaints there.

The water sports club guys have NO CLUE how to handle a sailboat so DON'T go with them for "sailing lessons"! i've seen it a few times that they've flipped the boat (capsized) with tourists on board in perfect conditions (8-10 kts wind, flat sea). The maintenance and the condition of the Hobie Wave cat they have there is very bad too, but still usable with some limitations.

All in all, it was a nice place to stay at.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled solo
Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 23, 2010

One of my most relaxing vacations to date. Visited for the Toronto Spring Break March 2010.

A bit about me. I have travelled to at least 25 - 30 all inclusive properties in the Caribbean and Mexico. Never less than a 4* but usually in 5* resorts plus extensive Cruise experiences. Most of the time I am with one partner or a small group but a few times, like this, I travelled alone. Due to this I set out to find an adults only property. Since it was our Spring Break period the 5* properties were very expensive and the single supplement was way out of control.

The Punta Cana Princess was reasonably priced and I had stayed at the sister hotel Caribe Caribbean 4 years ago in the same week so knew the chain.

The Punta Cana Princess is not an excellent or even highly recommended resort but it is pretty good. For the seasoned traveller there is much to comment on but I won't do that here. Resort most definitely not a 5* which they rate it. It is more a solid 4 not a 4 +.

There is no nightlife or entertainment to speak of (not that I was looking for that). I read about the lobby entertainment at night. This comprises the 4 animators dancing and having a nightly contest - in 7 days this was only on for 3 nights - day 1 Mr. Punta Cana, day 2 Mrs. Punta Cana, and on day 3 Mr. & Mrs. Couple Punta Cana - get the idea of how lame it was but the only other alternative was to go to the sister resort for their nightly entertainment. This was okay but there was almost nonexistent shuttle service. Okay walk during day but at night a little iffy. Casino shuttle was constant.

The cleanliness of the resort was very clear. I have never seen such commitment. If you were in certain areas at certain times you would see whole teams of cleaners attack the area with such verge. On my departure day I happened to be in the lobby at around 8:00. There were about 18 cleaners going to town cleaning like I've never seen done at any resort. Rooms and restaurants equally well cleaned. In the rooms there is some obvious wear and tear due to number of years resort in operation. I had a huge ant infestation that they dealt with right away. They put wild flowers all over the counter and I could see the ants coming out of them. Tried to communicate this to maid but to no avail so I just put them on the balcony each day.

The buffet was not the greatest. A number of people I met felt the same way. The main selections were the same for every lunch and dinner for the whole week with only a few inclusions. The 2 a la cartes I went to were fine - TexMex and Italian. You could eat at the other resorts a la cartes and buffets which I also did and would recommend as there are 5 more to choose from.

I was very fortunate with weather - if there had been rain or clouds - there is absolutely nothing to do. No games rooms, activities, animation staff was very friendly and only about 4 of them but the most repetitive that I've seen in all my resort trips.

The Spa is fantastic and the prices are well below the norm for a spa of this type. There were many deals offered of which a number of us partook in and enjoyed. The full body massage was amazing.

The workers were fabulous - very friendly lobby, guest relations, and restaurant workers, cleaners etc. I've encountered in a long time.

Free internet service in main lobby was highly appreciated.

So I would recommend the resort to most people but with only a few comments about the reality that it is a small resort, there is a lack of entertainment and things to do and that it really is a 4 * for food at best so be prepared for that. However the adults only was a huge plus that offset a lot of the negative things. I won't go into the crowd as since it was March Break it would be much different than a crowd at other times of the year.

Pool area was very quiet and peaceful and using the spa really made it one of the most relaxing laid back trips I've had.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled solo
2 Thank Gottogetaway01
Ontario, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 21, 2010

I would say this resort is a solid 4*. Great size room with step-down living room area with a deep-seated couch with a pull-out single bed underneath. It was always kept clean by the maid and bar fridge always refilled. Very low noise level at night, slept well. We went mid-November 2009 and it rained mostly at night, which was fine, kept the humidity low. We booked with Sunwing so we had VIP status at the resort - received a fruit basket, small bottle of rum, slippers and a beach bag. VIPs also had access to the Bali beds on the beach! Sun loungers can be hard to come by at the beach or the pool, not too bad though. The beach was AMAZING! Soft white sand, like icing sugar. We enjoyed surfing in the waves in inflatable loungers. The markets are located down the beach to the left, they can be annoying, trying to get you to buy from them. We found a cool little bar / barber shop that sell large bottles of Presidente beer by the market.

The other two resorts we had access to were closed during our stay, so they allowed us to visit the Bavaro Princess, larger hotel by far, but not as quaint and cozy as ours, and Punta Cana Princess is Adult-only :-) We ate the Bavaro Princess one night at their buffet, not bad. They had some cool little shops. We never attended the Casino. We found The Bavaro Princess too big and not as personal as the Punta Cana Princess.

We ventured into town a bit - caught the trolley to the Bavaro Casino, then walked down the street. The store keepers are aggressive, just be careful. We had a beer at Steve's Bar. There were a lot of little shops, but they all sold the same kind of stuff.

We did the Dune Buggy excursion (1/2 day) which was fun, I think we paid $45 USD each. Be prepared to get muddy (which doesn't wash out very well). The lobby / reception area of the resort was very nice, over-sized wicker furniture - which I could take it home! We met a lot of folks from Canada, States and Europe. Stayed up to see some shows - the Michael Jackson impersonation was good. I loved the fact the Lobby area where the lobby bar is located - all open-air design. Also got free Internet access which was a nice touch. The buffet was always good and had different theme nights. We never ate the Swiss A la carte. We did attend the Tex Mex and Italian A la cartes which were good. One bonus is that the beach bar has a cool design outdoor living room area and open all night long. They also serve some quick foods like burgers, nachos and cheese, etc... we never hung out there at night, mostly rained and we went to bed early most nights.

The Beach party was good. Good thing we went early - it started to rain around 7:30pm...

They opened the other two sister resorts on the Friday (we left Sat am) and it was very quiet and had the big pool all to ourselves for a while and the pool bar staff were great. Too bad we did not get the chance to try their a la cartes.

As for the negatives - 1-2 nights a week, the resort allows several vendors on the resort, they plant themselves by the buffet and by the beach entrance at the beach party and they are VERY AGGRESSIVE - to the point the of harassment. We left feedback with the resort management when we left. It's one thing to have them there, but didn't appreciate the constant nagging to buy their stuff. Also the lobster was not the same as we're used to having in Canada.

Overall, we enjoyed the resort, great value for the money and found it relaxing. We would definitely go back again! Loved the adult-only aspect of it.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled as a couple
3 Thank firewoman_911
London, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 20, 2010

Date of Travel: March 7-14/10
This was our 11th time to Punta Cana and we definitely found the perfect resort for us.
Check-in: Our room was not ready yet as we arrived early so we went and had lunch and then our room was ready. The front desk was great and they spoke English really well. They gave us a package with a map and explained all the services/ameneties and that we could go to the other sister resorts and use their restaurants as well. Within 5 mins of getting to the room our luggage was delivered. We had requested a room with 2 double beds as my sister and I were travelling together and were happy to see that our request had been met.
Room: We loved the room. It had such a tropical vibe to it, all done in hues of orange - very bright and cheery, It was extremely clean and a good size with everything in working order. The bathroom had 2 sinks which was great and was a decent size with lots of little bottles of soap, shampoo, conditioner and was replenished as it was used. The shower pressure was great and we always had hot water and fresh towels every day. There were no faceclothes so if this is important you may want to bring your own. The tub was standard and is not the jetted hydrotub type which didn't make any difference to us. There was a coffee maker in the room and powdered creamer, sugar, sweetner and coffee were replenished daily. The fridge worked great and kept things nice and cold. It was stocked with 2 bottles of coke, 2 bottles of 7-up and 2 cans of Presidente which were replaced daily. NOTE: the bottle opener is on the wall in the bathroom, you will see an odd looking metal thing on the wall :-) The beds were comfortable and while the bed quilts were a bit dated the sheets were 100% clean and the pillows were actually pretty comfortable as well. The air conditioner worked great and we kept it on the lowest setting as it was actually too cold at the highest level. There is also a ceiling fan which kept the air circulating. Our room did not have a musty smell at all and the a/c and ceiling fan were on when we first entered the room so it was already nice and cool for us.
Housekeeping: Excellent! Everything was replenished daily and extra towels were left for us every day. The room was immaculate and we received towel art and flowers every day which was a really nice touch.
Food: Food was ok. We didn't starve by any means and there was always something to choose from on the buffet but the overall selection and quality were not quite what we were expecting. However, there was always a choice of soup, salads, breads, coldcuts and cheeses, pizza, pasta and desserts (try the dougnuts and elephant ears - excellent!) The a la carte restaurants were very good and we ate at all of them except for the tex mex. The lasagna and risotto at the Italian were very tasty and the fondue restaurant was pretty good (being Swiss myself, I thought they actually did a decent job of it :-) Try the chocolate fondue for dessert - very delicious. We ate at Mare Nostrum 2 nights and had lobster both times which we really enjoyed. Service was excellent at all the restaurants. The after dinner cappucchino's were also very good. The buffet and a la cartes open at 6:30pm for dinner. No reservations are needed for dinner which was nice as you could decide last minute as to what you felt like. For breakfast and lunch you have the choice of eating in the main buffet or at Mare Nostrum. We ate at Mare Nostrum for breakfast and lunch everyday as we liked that it was right on the beach and the hours suited us better. It is open 24hrs and breakfast started at 6am. They have a great coffee machine that is self serve with all different kinds of specialty coffess which we really enjoyed. The selection was limited but there was always something such as nachos, pizza, fries or you could make a sandwich using the sandwhich press (we liked making grilled cheese with all the different kinds of cheeses). They also have a beach party every second day and set up tables right on the beach which was awesome! I have to mention the waiter at Mare Nostrum for breakfast and lunch - Serapio. He was absolutely incredible. On our second day there he already knew what we liked and brought our pineapple and orange juice without even asking and remembered who liked which one. He also made our toast for us in the morning and brought it over so by the time our omelette was finished our toast was there. We could not believe the level of service and were extremely impressed.
*Room service was included and there was a menu in the room but we never used it.
Grounds: Beautiful. Extremely well kept with different coloured hibiscus and bougainvillea, a lovely turtle pond, and there were ducks (one was swimming in the pool in the morning when we looked out) as well as martin fishers. The grounds really had a nice tropical feel to them and the villas are in different colours to keep with this theme.
Beach: Incredible! Best stretch we have ever stayed on in any of our visits. It wasn't busy at all and there were chairs available at any time of day. There was a ton of beach that wasn't being used and people would take a chair over or lie on their towels and there was no one around - I have never seen anything like it. You could totally have your own personal space (see my pics).
Pool: Really nice. It had 2 gradual entries on either end and we found it to be very clean. It was a little colder than what we are used to but once you were in it was very nice and refreshing. There is a swimup bar and Nelson is awesome. The bali beds and loungers are very nicely spread out as well and there was always a chair available. The palapas went first but we did not witness any "towel wars" going on. Note: if you leave a towel or any belongings on bali beds, loungers or under a palapa prior to 6am, they will be removed by security.
Internet: We rec'd free internet with our Sunwing package which allowed for 20mins per person per day. They didn't strictly enforce this and we basically went on it whenever we wanted to. It was not very busy and there are 4 laptop computers which had a pretty quick connection.
Service: Excellent, fabulous, incredible, what else can I say??? The employees are friendly, smiling, were always singing and could not do enough for you. They anticipated your needs before you even said anything. We have stayed at higher rated resorts and the service does not even begin to compare. If you do ask for something they answer "with pleasure" and never appeared grumpy or put out by it. They truly seemed to enjoy talking with us and sharing information about their families and learning a bit more about us. Honestly, I cannot express in words how fabulous we thought the service was from the second we stepped foot on the property to the second we left and will really miss the great people we met.
Overall impression: This was our favourite resort to date. We loved the true tropical vibe and while it does not have all the "bells and whistles' that some of the higher rate resorts have we did not miss this at all. The beach was incredible and it was the perfect resort for true R&R. If you are looking for any kind of nightlife you will not find it here other than a few nightly activities in the lobby such as karaoke. We have never been so sad to leave a place and will definitely be back next year for 2 weeks.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled with family