I wrote most of this review while I was still there - in the evenings on my Blackberry while my fiance was doing her makeup! So excuse some of the typo's and bad grammar :)
Over the past 10 years, I've stayed at 4-5 star resorts in Cancun, Mayan Riviera, Cuba, Puerta Plata.
- Building 5 is the best building to be in. Its closest to beach, to pool, to spa and has good view of beach. I think most of it is honeymoon suites and "pay extra" suites though. We tried to move there upon checkin and on our 2nd day but the said they were all taken buy honeymooners and extra payers ($50 more/night).
- We stayed in building 1 and I would say it is second best as its probably 2nd closest to beach, has partial view of beach, and has best privacy.
- Get 3rd floor whichever building you are in. It increases your chance of getting view to beach and the 3rd floor room have huge vaulted wood ceilings which are great and make the rooms look so much bigger. We asked for a 3rd floor beachview near the beach when we booked.
- Our room had a 30" widescreen lcd tv. King bed, pull out bed thing (good for your young adult kids maybe?), 2 beer, 2 big waters, 2 coke, 2 sprite that were re-stocked daily. Tip and they may give you a couple extra ;)
FOOD & DRINKS:
- Could do a la cartes every night if you want! No reservations required. Usually only 3 of the 4 restaurants are open every night tho, so find out their schedule at guest services ahead of time.
- You can make reservations thru Guest Services for the a la carte restaurants at the sister resorts (Bavero Princess and Tropical Princess). We went to the Bavero Princess' Japanese restaurant (the chef cooks in front of you at a grill). Its just a short free shuttle from our resort to the other one. It was great! Probably our favourite dinner of the week. Very similar to Benihana!
- Nostrum seafood restaurant dinner was great! Warm shrimp intro dish was great, seafood cassarole warm appetizer was great, lobster entre awesome. White wine fruity and so-so.
- Caribe Buffet was very good:
> Breakfast was great: scrambled eggs, hard boiled eggs, fresh omlette bar, pancakes, waffles, and yes lots of bacon! Also REAL fresh fruit juice: pear, mango, orange, watermelon.
> Lunch was pretty good. Varied daily, decent choice.
- Tex Mex steakhouse restaurant was good, but not fantastic. We had filet mignon and beef filet. Beef filet was the lunch buffet beef drowned in thin gravy like sauce (very tough) and the filet mignon was not filet mignon at all. It seemed to be identicle to the beef filet but extremely fatty and also very hard to cut. However, we went the following night and the table beside us got it and it actually looked like filet mignon.
- Snack bar at Nostrum beach bar for lunch AND at midnight is poor. Lunch is self serve. At night, you must order and wait for burgers, fries, sandwich (not much choice).
- Self serve coffee machine at Nostrum with 10 diff kinds of coffee - great!
- Juice/mix: I am always dissappointed that all inclusives never seem to have real juice to drink or to include in your mixed alchohol drinks. This place is no different. They do have bananas that they use, but other than that the orange juice is more like sunny delight and the same sugar and water "juice" substitutes goes for lime juice, pinapple juice, etc. Only exception is at breakfast.
- There is a Beach BBq on Tuesday for dinner. You get attacked by vendors that they allow setup shop at the beach entrance for this event only. It started to rain when we went, so we left. Looked like a good event though for food and entertainment.
- Beach was pretty good. Not as calm, clear and gradually shallow as Cuba, but not as rough and full of undertoe like mexico. Sand was white and soft.
- The hotel urges that guests do not reserve lounge chairs with their towels (Indicated on your welcome form and on the welcome sign upon entering beach).
- Lounge chair availability is a problem at this resort probably more than most because the width of their beach is relatively small. They can't provide enough loungers for all guests without overcrowding the beach. So on your hotel welcome letter and posted upon entering the beach it tells you that reserving loungers with towel is NOT permitted at the resort. This would cure the problem if everyone abidded by it. However it seems pretty much everyone ignores the rule and claims their lounger for the day with a towel even though they are off eating, swimming, sleeping most of the time it is reserved. Pretty frustrating. I have pictures showing how bad it is. This was by far our biggest frustration of this resort.
- There are beds on the beach beds that are great! They are for vip only. We were Sunwing VIP so we were able to enjoy them.
- pool was great, big, clean, swim up bar always with few pretty drunk people at it. The pool loungers suffered from the same 'towel reserving' that the beach did. Very hard to get a lounger at any time of day unless you reserve it with a towel before breakfast.
- 1 tennis/basketball court, another tenis court. Ping pong table, archery, and shuffleboard beside caribe buffet, another ping pong table on beach. Really good volleyball court on beach.
- Lots of day excursions available: mini speed boats, snorkling, para-sailing, jeep tours, 4 wheel buggies, horseback riding, deep sea fishing, tours on islands, etc. Can be pricey though. Approx $40 to $150 for each USD. Most of them around $70. You can often bargain with them to get it cheaper.
- Great furniture for seating/lounging in lobby (good for hanging out in evenings or when it rains)
- Beach deck attached to nostrum is great. Big, modern, lots of comfy furniture, private booths, etc.
- GUESTS were mostly European. Then Canadians (like us), a few Americans.
- TIPPING appeared to be uncommon and not expected by the staff (I.e. They weren't waiting for the cash to come out like we've experienced in Mexico and a little more in cuba. We tipped anyway, a dollar or few here and there for meals, drinks, maid, etc.
- SERVICE was amazing. They have a card in the rooms that they ask you to fill out to highlight anything that you would like improved in the room with a diagram of the room (GREAT idea!). We filled ours out for 2 burnt out lights and a slow draining drain and handed it to front desk one day at 10pm. We got back to our room at around midnight and all were fixed! Amazing.
- They also leave a card in your room asking you to fill in the names of workers that have provided you with excellent service. Great idea! This helps incent the workers to do better and the hotel pays for their extra efforts (instead of customers having to pay for it thru tips). I would still reco tipping but this is a great system that i think all resorts should implement.
- If you book this resort through Sunwing, you get VIP status. This gets you most premium drinks for free. They have a drinks menu at the lobby bar that tells you which drinks are free for all, and which drinks are Premium with a price beside them. A few premium ones have stars beside them which cost money for all guests. All the other premium ones are free for VIP!
Examples of free for VIP drinks are: baileys, kahlua, Stoli, Smirnoff, Tanguray, many more..
- Vip also gets you fruit basket in room, cigars in room, bottle of rum in room, slippers, house coat, free internet in lobby, beach beds (well worth it)
OVERALL, we were very impressed and really enjoyed our stay. We would recommend this place to friends/family.
And thanks to all the reviewers that helped us choose this place!!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Punta Cana Princess All Suites Resort & Spa in an Adults Resort (18 years old and over) where the fascination of an unforgettable holiday is readily available to our clients. Caribbean style and art of living combine in each of the corners and rooms of this pleasant, high-category holiday resort in Bavaro Beach. Five-Star All Inclusive Hotel, quiet and relaxing, on a heavenly beach; that offers all the services and facilities of our sister hotels Caribe Club and Tropical Princess.The charm of the 263 beautiful Platinum Suites, the seduction of the 7 Honeymoon Suites equipped with a thousand and one details and including a full range of services are completed with the careful and selected menu of our 5 restaurants (main buffet, Italian, Tex-Mex, Mediterranean and Swiss), and a functional snack. Wedding packages available. A full range of daytime leisure activities, extensive gym and spa area, a beautiful bright environment, with a large number of evening activities, next to the famous Princess Tower Casino (located at Bávaro Princess Hotel), and Areito Disco (one of the best in Punta Cana); that add the pleasure of some days of rest and an unforgettable holiday at the famous Bavaro Beach. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, BookIt.com, Hotwire, Travelocity, Orbitz, Hotels.com, TripOnline SA, Hotel.de, Cheap Tickets, Cancelon, Evoline ltd, getaroom.com and HotelQuickly so you can book your Punta Cana Princess All Suites Resort & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Punta Cana Princess Resort
- Princess Punta Cana
- Bavaro Princess All Suites Resort Punta Cana
- Bavaro Princess All Suites Resort Spa & Casino
- Punta Cana Princess Hotel