“Good time at Punta Cana Princess”

Punta Cana Princess All Suites Resort & Spa
Ranked #31 of 111 Hotels in Punta Cana
GreenLeadersBronze level
A TripAdvisor Member
“Good time at Punta Cana Princess”
Reviewed January 16, 2006

After writing a rather scathing report 2 years ago about a Puerto Plata 3 1/2 star hotel I am pleased to be able to say positives about my Punta Cana Princess experience.

My wife, two kids (boy of 8 and girl of 4) and I spent 2 wonderful weeks at the Punta Cana Princess from Dec 24/2005 until Jan 7/2006. Highlights? The beach was very clean with nice white sand. Rooms - we moved once to get closer to the beach and swimming pool - very clean and well kept. Housekeeping staff was first rate, albeit a little slow responding to out of ordinary requests.

By far the best group of folks were the animation staff. They work well as a group. Night and day they tirelessly prodded and cajoled us to participate in tons of activities including beach volleyball, waterpolo, darts, archery, dance lessons and aerobics by the pool. Not to be overlooked were the 2 fabulous mini-club directors who took exemplary care of our 4 year old daughter introducing her to new dances and encouraging her to improve her Spanish. They were gentle and co-operative and deserve accolades.

Improvements should be made to the water system. It broke down two or three times during the 2 weeks, but was promptly returned to service so the inconvenience was minor to us. More night life on the property might make the 20-somethings happy, but us parents were pleased to be able to fall asleep at night without the thumping bass we experience at other resorts.

Finally, the food at the speciality restaurants were almost laughable. Our preference was for the main restaurant since the pretention was ratchetted down and the meal selection was far greater, especially on New Year's eve. We got most of what we came for from the Princess and wholeheartedly recommend others taking a path to their doors. We wish them every success in the future.

24 Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (994)
  • Czech first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
Hamilton
Reviewed January 15, 2006

Just returned from this resort...if you are thinking about traveling there, think again, DO NOT WAIST YOUR TIME AND MONEY AT THIS RESORT...

I will admitt that the beaches in Punta Cana are beautiful, and the rooms in this resort are quite spacious and nice. In addition, the resort does seem to be fairly clean, and maintained...now on to the negatives..

1) Food = ABSOLUTELY DISGUSTING...now i know for a fact that this is not only my opinion, but also the opinion of just about everyone else that we talked to. These people screw up the easiest of items, rice is undercooked and crunchy at times, french fries and pizza is often cold, alot of the meat has some greasy mysterious sauce that looks awful. In the morning the eggs taste horrible, and depending on the day they are barely cooked. If you want to get a decent meal you must walk 10 minutes to the other princess resort next door to get anything half decent. In addition, I was scared to eat many of the meats because of the poor food handling at this resort. The guys by the grill have huge tubs filled with chicken and meat, yet they don't keep it cold with ice or cooler packs. Who knows how long that food has been left out, and exposed to the warm humid air.

I will say that the El Rancho steak house is decent on the resort, don't waist your time at the italian ala carte it is complete garbage. Again, if you want decent meals for dinner you must walk to the other resorts...pay the 30 bucks and get the lobster dinner at La Pasquedor Restaurant (sp), and try the Mamma Mia restaurant it is good too.

2) Nightlife...this resort turns into a virtual ghost town after 11 pm. I don't know how anyone could find these clowns in the lobby entertaining. If you want nightlife, again you must walk to the other resorts or go into town to a nightclub.

3) Drinks...if you are a serious drinker, and will be boozing heavily than pay the money for the vip deal and get the international liquor. I was very disappointed with the dominican rum, and the El Presidente well get very old very fast.

Finally, I cannot express in words how bad the food is in this place...if you are prepared to eat 1 or 2 meals a day, and go on a heavy bread and butter diet, than good luck, have fun! This resort caters to older couples, if you are young and looking for an exciting upbeat resort than THIS IS NOT THE PLACE FOR YOU!!!! I paid over 1200 for this resort and that is too much. I wouldn't even classify it as a 4.5* that is an absolute joke, this place is more like a 3.5*...if people have never been to a real 5* all inclusive they may actually think this place is great, but those who have really seen a resort know that the Punta Cana Princess is pitiful.

spend your money elsewhere this resort is garbage

-bob

• Stayed January 2006
13 Thank pankel
Vancouver
Reviewed January 12, 2006

After spending Christmas and Newyear (2 weeks) at the PCP I have to say that we had a great time, the staff were friendly the weather wonderful and great company (traveled from Canada with my Husband and two teenage kids, to meet my sister and her family from the UK) The kids had the best holiday ever and met with lots of other kids and played volleyball all day everyday! So we were really happy. I have travelled a lot and didnt really have high expectations since I realise that I could spend at least another $6,000 for true 4 or 5 star hotel/resort, especially at this time of year. So we were prepared that not all will be upto a standard that we are used to and that was fine, we were prepared mentally. All we really wanted was to get away at that time of year and to relax in the sun and meet with our family. After visiting DR before (stayed at the Flamingo) also Mexico and Cuba Tunisia, and Turkey (all places are similar in the standards of hotel ) I think I have a lot of experience in knowing how to stay well with regard to the water and what NOT to eat. My family of four were all well and I think it may have something to do with my rules..... NO fruit or salad (usually it gets washed in the tap water) Never eat anything that has been left out at the Buffet, we always eat FRESHLY cooked food and if non available I would grab the chef and insist on it in a friendly way that is. The reason I'm telling you this is that my brother -in- law didnt stick to these rules and was very very ill just two days before the end of his holiday. He got home and he was rushed to hospital and it was realised that he had contracted the dreaded Salmonella poisoning, he was in hospital for 8 days and now is recovering at home. Since he is the chef at his own Bed and Breakfast this has serious implications for his business and life. His son was very sick for 6 days of his holiday, sick, runs and fever. I have never writen a review in my entire life since I really think that you will always find something you dont like, and it's only your OPINION anyways so why bother.I think if I'd paid top dollar then I would expect top everthing ! On the food..... Christmas and Newyears was really good, Lobster, dressed crab etc etc...fresh and good! I found because of my rules on eating I pretty much had a crappy diet for 2 weeks but it only took me a week to shed it when I got home. I ate french fries (insisted that I got fresh ones) for lunch at the beach and always found something at night, something fresh off the grill is the best way to go! Fresh eggs cooked by the chef and toast for breakfast. The Ice is fine as they use bottled water. Keep away from milky desserts too. My normal diet is salads and veggies so this is hard for me! The main reason for this review is to just warn people of this serious danger and if your going be careful.... If anyone wants to ask anything you can email me. The same rules would apply for me at any resort and I have found that I'm never sick when a high percentage of people are. At the flamingo two years ago people were being sick too.

18 Thank cathydee
Reviewed January 9, 2006

Beautiful grounds and facilities. <however staff was incapable of running this place well. DO NOT RECOMMEND.!!!!!!!!!!

ALBERTO ANTONIO FOWLER
ROOM #2038
225-362-2905

Stayed January 2006
6 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed January 8, 2006

Just returned from a week at the Punta Cana Princess. The hotel was very very clean, and satisfying. Although we met some people that stayed on the main floor and complained about centipedes being in there room often. We were on the 2nd floor and saw none. **If you are staying on the bottom floor, always, always lock your patio sliding door, 14 rooms were robbed during the night while visitors slept because they left it open. Your in a 3rd world country, yes people are desperate and will take what they can get. The animation staff were so much fun, they made our trip more exciting at night for sure, since we did not enjoy the disco. I went with my fiance` and he was approached many times by locals asking if he wanted a prostitute for the evening, I was disgusted, young "caucausians" were robbed leaving the disco as well. I didnt find it very safe for teenagers. and drinks at the disco are not free, a bottle of water is $4.00, but be careful that it was sealed when you bought it, cause they tried to sell me one that was re-used and was tap water. The food kinda s-----, that was the biggest damper on our trip. But I heard no matter where you stay in DR, it is all the same. Chicken always has some greasy sauce, cheese and milk are gross, eggs, ewww! oh and if you don't make your reservations for the "restaurants" you will be eating the buffet 3 times a day. I stuck to bread and salad, and fruit, or I got bathroom sick for the whole day.
oh and the restaurants, 1 called the Pilon, was the only one that was good, the rest are foods taken from the buffet and called "italian". it's a little ridiculas. Oh and Guys must wear long dress pants and nice shirts to even eat in them, ya we had to buy some there, lol. Drinks are not bad, except I reccomend paying the extra money and getting "VIP ALL-INCLUSIVE" So you can have "international alcohol" as well. local stuff gets boring. You will get massages, internet and water-toys for free if you have VIP. Definently doing that next time. The staff are so amazing and fun. Everyone is so friendly. a gardner climbed up a palm tree with bare feet just to get us a coconut, but ya they expect a tip. lol!
tip your bartenders and you will have non-stop service all night.
Isabelle at the beach bar was our favourite and Nelson at the pool bar makes great "Coco loco's" aww see now I miss everyone!!! The beach and water are breath taking, so if you bring some pepto-bismol and misquito spray, you will have a wonderful time!!

24 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
canada
Reviewed December 22, 2005

Just returned from a week at the Punta Cana Princess. This was a clean, quiet resort with a beautiful beach. As other travellers have remarked on before the food was not all that great. We could usually find something to eat for breakfast and lunch at the buffets. At least the soup was hot! The Italian restaurant was the best. Everything was very hot. Even with a scalding hot plate the Tex Mex could not deliver hot food. Amazing!
Beach was wonderful you could walk for hours. The service was hit and miss and it didn't matter if you tipped them so we stopped after 3 days. We had to chase the maid for clean towels every day that we were there. We paid about 1/2 price for this vacation so won't complain too much. Went for some R&R and that's what we got. If you go don't set your standards too high and you will be fine. Unfortunately if you din't get the VIP package the drinks were local brands and not very good. The solution is to buy a bottle of good booze duty free. There is Coke and Sprite in the room and ask the bartender for ice.

13 Thank suemel
SouthShore
Reviewed December 18, 2005

My wife and I were there from Nov 24 to Dec 8.
Beautiful site
Room was very clean, even inside desk's drawers.
Always had enough towels and bath stuff, bottled purified water, soft drinks…
Air conditioning works perfectly
TV… only if you like CNN
Presence of local security people makes you feel safe anywhere on the site.
Pools were nice and clean. There were always free chairs at the pools and at the beach.
At the buffet and at the various restaurants, Food was very lousy, very ordinary, nothing to talk about. I have to say I got sick after 11 days and could not try the Mama Mia nor La Cava restaurants. I needed antibiotics as I could not get rid of my diarrhea after 7 days.
Service was excellent! Speaking some Spanish does help a lot!

Stayed December 2005