“Not up to expectations”

GreenLeadersBronze level
Canada
“Not up to expectations”
Reviewed April 30, 2014

Just returned from the Punta Cana Princess - our 5th time to Punta Cana. We stayed there april 21 - 28. We are seasoned travellers going to the Caribbean on average twice a year for the past 15 years. The following are our experiences at the Punta Cana Princess. While signing in at reception, my wife had one of her bags stolen right in the lobby. We did not get the room we requested several months before. Upon arrival at our room, maintenance was working on the door lock to our room. When they finished we were admitted and checked out the room. The safe combination lock was defective so we tried to call guest services but the phone did not work. We therefore went back to the desk and they sent a maintenance man. He could not get it to work and ended up changing the whole combination mechanism taking him about an hour. The phone he said would be fixed the next day. It was fixed 5 days later. My wife went to take a shower and the whole bathroom flooded. When they supposedly remodeled they installed the shower drains above floor level. Our friends room was the same. There was no easy repair so we took to rolling up towels to wedge under the door to keep the water in the bathroom at least. The bed was like a hammock. It sagged so much that when you stood by the patio door and looked at it, it was the shape of a U. Not comfortable at all.
Beach: You had to be an early riser to get a lounger on the beach with any hope of some shade. Everything was reserved using the towel game by 7am. Of course, the players reserved chairs by the pool also while they were at it. Very irritating to say the least. Management slipped notices under everybodies door advising people not to do it but the guest ignored it. Management did not enforce it so it made for some interesting people watching some mornings to see the arguments between guests on the beach. A lot of people were pissed. I personally just sat wherever I wanted if it was not occupied and gave the towels or books to the Security guard. Some people tried to complain but I carried the management notice with me and told them to learn to read.
Since I love to swim in the ocean, I noticed that the water was never clear, quite murky in fact even a couple of hundred feet out. Lots of weeds.
Staff: All the staff with the exception of the front desk and guest service manager, were quite accomodating and tried to please you. The 3 times that I had to change my defective key card at the front desk, the girl looked at me as if I was disturbing her and did not speak English or wouldn't. Who knows.!
Food: The best place to eat by far was the beach bar. Barbeques were good as well as the buffet. The main buffet cooks should go down there and learn a few things.
All in all would I return there? No, definitely not. For a supposed 4-1/2 star, it was a big disappointment for the money I paid.

Room Tip: Music is loud from the other resorts. There is no escaping it before 11:30PM. 5000 block is closest...
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank hosemanCanada
PrincessHotelsRD, Manager at Punta Cana Princess All Suites Resort & Spa, responded to this review, May 4, 2014
Dear Guest,

We would like to thank you for taking the time to bring your observations to our attention since, it is through communications of this nature that we are given an opportunity to assess and evaluate our performance, as well as to ensure that we maintain and deliver the level of service expected from us

As you may understand, we would have welcomed being informed of your loss during your stay which would have allowed us to investigate and timely solution.

On behalf of all our team, we would to extend our most sincere apologies for any difficulties you may have experience during your stay. For us it is very important the experience our guest have about their stay with us. We accept your feedback for continuous improvement in a future stay.

We hope you will be willing to give us the opportunity to welcome you once again to demonstrate you the commitment and quality of service we have exhibited through the years, and that way be able to change any negative perception you may have.

Kind regards,

Resident Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (995)
  • Czech first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
Belleville, Canada
Reviewed April 30, 2014

My husband and I just returned from our 13th stay from April 17th to April 26th. We truly feel that this resort is just like "coming home" every time that we return. I can't say enough about the customer service and friendly "welcome home" hugs we receive from everyone at this resort. Even the gardners come up to give us hugs! It was also amazing to meet up with multiple other "friends" who have been to the resort multiple times with us again. We couldn't have had a better time because of them.......(You East Coasters know who you are...lol)

The weather was amazing (even though weather reports called for rain every single day of our 10 day trip)! There were no real changes/renovations since at the PCP from our last trip in October of 2013. They did take into consideration some of our requests for the NEW renovations as others have stated (shelves in the showers, moved the toilet paper holder so your leg doesn't hinder getting at the paper). I think that we still ALL need to campaign the resort management to invest in a drawer unit to hold clothing though. There is a space along the wall right beside the TV before you go down the stairs that could easily accomodate a small dresser. It drives me nuts to have to put everything on shelves that are very open. The top shelves are too tall for a short women to reach! The room safe is still NOT bolted down which was a concern for us back in October of 2013, and still is today. Anyone can lift if off of the shelf, put it in a suitcase, and take it out of the room without anyone noticing. Our room didn't have any shower troubles with leaking on the floor as others have mentioned in other reviews. My only other "wish list" item would be to have better/more lighting in the bathroom, and a magnifying mirror like they had prior to renovations.

The resort was at capacity, but it really didn't seem full. No line-ups, or any difficulty getting into any of the restaurants......ever! Food was great, with lots of variety. In the 10 days we were there, we had 3 beach BBQ's for lunch. The Beach party was on Saturday night from 9-11pm.

There is NO more Sunwing VIP laptops in the lobby for you to use (free to VIP for 20 minutes at a time). They have free wifi in the lobby which eveyone was taking good use of. If you have been there before, and are used to them, you must remember to bring your own forms of communication with you.

The towel game was very much in play (still). You had to be at the beach by 6:00 AM to get your "preferred" spot. If you like to sleep in.....you will be out of luck finding something. The management did slip a paper under the door to our room about mid week reminding everyone that there was a 30 minute "grace" period for towels to NOT be used to "save" beach beds and loungers. They would be removed by security, but that was NEVER enforced from what we saw. One nice thing to note.........we saw at least 50+ new beach and pool loungers to replace broken ones. This was badly needed. There also seemed to be more of them.

The beach vendors seemed not to be as bad as they were in Sept/Oct when we were there last year. I am starting to think that because the Spring is just after their "busy" season, they are all still happy with the business they got from the masses of folks down there over the XMas and March break periods. They are quite a bit more agressive in the Fall with lots less folks coming to their stalls etc. This went the same for the vendor that is permanently set up at the pool. They didn't seem as pushy as last Fall. Now one more thing that is different that I saw this trip from our our 12 previous stays.............Instead of the vendors being allowed to set up in the resort once a week near the buffet, they were allowed to come in every other night. This drove me crazy. I just want to go and get diner without the harrassment. Everyone that we spoke to complained about this. They are strategically placed towards the buffet, therefore, you had no choice but to try and dodge them every other day.

We have already decided to return back to the PCP for Thanksgiving in October for the "annual girls week" away! Seems so far away, but well worth the wait........

Room Tip: The resort is fairly small, therefore any room location is quick to get anywhere. If you are lookin...
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
7 Thank Vicki_Gordon
PrincessHotelsRD, Manager at Punta Cana Princess All Suites Resort & Spa, responded to this review, May 1, 2014
Dear guest,

Thank you for giving us the absolute privilege of being your hosts for the 9th time in Punta Cana Princess.

It is fully satisfying to understand from your kind remarks that you had a wonderful experience at our resort again, and that you actually felt like home during your stay with us.

We appreciate you have taken the time to highlight the most memorable aspects of our resort and your suggestions to get better.We appreciate your nice words to our great and friendly staff. This will certainly motivate our team to continue delivering the best service to all our guests!

We hope that you will continue to come back again and again to this your second home Punta Cana Princess as it is always a great pleasure to serve you. We sincerely appreciate your loyalty.

Sunny regards from Punta Cana

Calgary, Canada
Reviewed April 28, 2014

Just returned from the Punta Cana Princess – we stayed from April 17-24. This was my fifth time staying at this resort. The past four I was with my husband, but this was a girl’s trip with a friend. As always, we found the staff to be amazing – very friendly and accommodating, always smiling, singing and making us feel very welcome.

We stayed in building 4, the rooms have been renovated and although would have been perfect for a couple, I found the bathroom area to be a bit lacking in privacy for travelling with a friend, but we made do and this did not take away from our vacation. The room was clean, housekeeping was great, fridge was well stocked and we always had lots of towels and hot water for showers.

We found the food to be pretty good, especially enjoyed the fondue restaurant and Mare Nostrum. As usual, the beach area and pool were fabulous – sucks having to get up so early to scramble for the beach huts but on the other hand, it’s nice to watch the sunrise.

The only negative experience we had was on our first day when we just couldn’t seem to get our room safe to work; I have never had a problem in the past. The maintenance man who assisted us was extremely rude, we actually heard him refer to us as “imbeciles” on the phone; he would do well to remember that some Spanish and English words are the same.

All in all it was a wonderful vacation and I’m looking forward to our next visit.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
Dear Guest,

Thanks for having chosen again Punta Cana Princess and for taken the time to write us on this page we are so lucky to have the opportunity to receive comments such a repeater guest, we really appreciate your positive feedback.

It is a pleasure to know that you could enjoy our facilities and services, gastronomy were of your liking. All our hard working staff does his best effort to offer our valued guests the most beautiful experience.

We really sorry the incident with the safe and the bad behavior from one of our staff. We are working continuously with our team and on a frequent basis our Human Resources coordinates seminars to all our staff members in order to reinforce the culture of service our guests deserve and expect.

We sincerely hope to welcome you once you decide to return to the Dominican Republic to offer you the most memorable vacations.

Northern Virginia
Reviewed April 27, 2014

We booked our return trip to the Princess a month ago, we are counting the days to our arrival. Our previous stay at the Princess was so wonderful, we just have to go back again. The staff were so fabulous, and we loved learning about their lives. They kept us entertained and very happy! They are amazing.
We love Punta Cana, and have visited many resorts along Bavaro. I wish now I had upgraded us to a honeymoon suite (oh well-maybe next time?) since the two of us are looking forward to a romantic vacation. My only issue is that we can't make dinner reservations until the day after arrival at the resort, I am wondering if I call the Princess, if I can make my dinner reservations in advance of our arrival.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Kvarrati
PrincessHotelsRD, Manager at Punta Cana Princess All Suites Resort & Spa, responded to this review, April 29, 2014
Dear Guest,

We thank you for choosing Punta Cana Princess once again for your holidays and for sharing your experience with the online community and give us your feedback.

Thank you very much for all your comments regarding to our resort. We are very pleased to know you enjoyed all services in our resort.

For the a la Carte Restaurants reservartios are nor required.

Thank you for your feedback about our employees, it makes us feel very proud to do this job for you. Thanks for choosing us as a destination for you stay.

Cordially

Alberto Gomez
Reviewed April 27, 2014

Being an easy to please, relaxed Atlantic Canadian my review may not be beneficial to the fussy traveller. I found this resort very , very good. Pros- proximity of everything. Beach was amazing, grounds were very well kept, rooms were very comfortable, bars were well stocked, and lots of selection available any time of day or night. A la cartes were very good, no reservations needed and no wait was nice. Staff were very friendly and helpful Juan in security, Israel , Elvis and Jose Luis provide a high level of service those are just a few of the names I remember but they were all great. Other guests were also for the most part very friendly. We met lots of great people. Cons- the aggressive vendors. On the beach was tolerable but when trying to go to supper on the resort was very annoying. Lack of entertainment, although this was not a huge negative as we were a large crowd of 18 and made our own entertainment. There was a Michael Jackson show and a beach party which were good but a little more music wouldn't hurt. In closing I would say that we had a very enjoyable week and would definitely return.

• Stayed April 2014
3 Thank Martycanada
PrincessHotelsRD, Manager at Punta Cana Princess All Suites Resort & Spa, responded to this review, April 28, 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for let us know your positive impressions in regards to your last visit in our Punta Cana Princess hotel. We really appreciated your positive feedback and we are glad to know that you had a delightful stay and that you could enjoy our services, food and facilities.

Thanks for your nice comments from our friendly staff especially Juan, Israel, Elvis and Jose Luis, we will be pass your kind comments to our coworker, and they will be happy to know your nice comments.We know that is because of their effort that we are able to provide memorable stay to our valued guest.

We hope that when returning to the Dominican Republic, you will give us the opportunity to welcome you again at our resort.

Reviewed April 26, 2014

What a beautiful spot! It is beautifully maintained and the staff is great. Now the particulars: We stayed for a week in the Honeymoon Suite to celebrate our anniversary. The room is spotless and spacious. As others have said, the bathroom situation with the frosted glass door requires some cooperation if you want privacy during your shower or while changing but very clean and nice. The king sized bed was comfortable and the view of the pool and gardens (with a glimpse of the ocean if you look carefully) was gorgeous. Importantly, the air conditioning was great. After a long day, it was great to come back to the cool, comfortable room.
Before you stop reading, I will offer some advice: First, bring lots of sunscreen. You will need it and it is ridiculously expensive in the resort and even in a shop that we went to. Also, pack yourself a nice big bar of your favorite soaps because the little hotel soaps won't cut it.
Another piece of advice: As others have mentioned, the hotel occasionally lets local vendors on the property. I only saw them once but my advice is two-fold: First, do not buy from them and secondly, don't try to be friendly because they will not let you go until you are rude. I love the Dominican people and I understand that they are trying to make a living but their merchandise is not good quality and they will harass you. If I could have the resort do one thing differently, it would be to not have the vendors on the property at all.
Now, back to the good stuff. We were always able to find a lounge chair both at the pool and the beach. Despite the request of the resort that people not stake their claim with their towel and then leave for hours, people still do. The good news is that there are lots of lounge chairs and the security people will make sure you have a place to lie and relax. For example, my husband went down to the beach after lunch and were looking for chairs. We found a couple in the sun. A bartender noticed us looking and asked if we needed chairs. I said, "We're looking for something in the shade". He left his post, grabbed two lounge chairs and dragged them over to a shady area. Very helpful.
If you are going to get up early, the little thatched huts are the best place, in my opinion. The beds that are on the beach for VIP's (which we were because of the Honeymoon Suite) look great but I found the lounge chairs under the huts more comfortable.
We had two great massages courtesy of our honeymoon package. Also, you get a wider choice of free drinks if you're a VIP. The food is plentiful and there are tons of options, including restaurants at a neighboring resort. My advice is to not try to duplicate your at-home diet. The hamburgers and steak will be different. Embrace the local food and enjoy the fresh fruits and veggies. Try some new things. I have dreams about the mashed plantains!
There is an omelet bar every morning and about 8 different kinds of fresh juice.
There are activities organized by the hotel, lots of available excursions and a couple of kayaks to use. We went snorkeling, zip lines, swimming with dolphins and a "safari" to see the Dominican, all for an extra fee. I recommend them all!
Finally, please be generous with your tips. These people work long shifts doing hard work with a positive attitude for very little money. They will be nice to you even if you're a cheapskate but if you show your appreciation with a couple of bucks, they will work even harder to make your stay the perfect experience you want it to be.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
5 Thank Gimmeappkes
Dear Guest,

In the name of General Manager Mr. Rafael Telichoski & all the staff, we thank you for choosing Punta Cana Princess for your holidays and for sharing with the Tripadvisor community your experience at our premises.

We are much honored to acknowledge that your visit to our hotel has exceeded your expectations based on your review. In Punta Cana Princess we are committed to provide to our guests the best experience during your holiday vacations through a friendly staff.

We will be glad to welcome you back again. Please feel free to contact us before your next visit.
With kindest regards.

Toronto, Canada
Reviewed April 25, 2014

Pros:
*Beach is AMAZING
*Grounds are beautiful
*Renovated rooms are clean and nicely done
*A La Cartes are fantastic
*Small resort so everything is nice and close

Cons:
*Pushy annoying vendors
*Inappropriate working staff (Always hitting on you, and making you feel very uncomfortable, as a 20something girl)
*No beach/pool chairs unless you wake up at 6am
*No beach drink service (as advertised)
*Disgusting cold, bland buffet (I'm not even a picky eater!)
*Pool bathrooms smell like urine, and not once did I see them get cleaned

I would give this hotel 3 stars.

I've stayed at Barceló Bavaro Beach Adults Only in the past, and the difference is HUGE (Lobster and Crab on the buffet everyday). Barceló is amazing, and I 100% recommend booking them over this hotel.

Will not return to Punta Cana Princess.

Room Tip: There all good locations.
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
4 Thank Ashley416
PrincessHotelsRD, Manager at Punta Cana Princess All Suites Resort & Spa, responded to this review, April 26, 2014
Dear Guest,

We really appreciated your feedback which is received with gratitude since our guests’ opinion in regards to their experience is very important and assistance to us. Thank you so much for your kind comments about our grounds, beach, room, and a la cartes restaurantes.

We regret not having met your expectations; this is very disconcerting because we strive for consistency and excellence with regards to our service levels. Please be assured that we will never cease in our efforts to achieve the total satisfaction of our guest. We sincerely apologize for the unprofessional behavior from some of our staff.

We regret if we did not fulfill your expectations regarding the food at the buffet. We cater people from all over the world and generally get very good comments on our food. We are sorry if they were not similarly impressed. We make menu changes throughout the year and their comments would be passed onto our Executive chef to improve on any shortcomings.

We would be glad, if you give us another chance in the future to convince you of our qualities and to demonstrate you that we are really improving daily.