“Don't have your wedding here”

Punta Cana Princess All Suites Resort & Spa
Ranked #29 of 114 Hotels in Punta Cana
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed June 14, 2013

We had planned on getting married here until the wedding coordinator was very rude. She was nasty with our travel agent. The sad thing is we had not official booked anything yet at this resort. She confirmed date and time in which she would marry us and then emailed our travel agent that she would not do it at the 4:00 Friday that we requested and confirmed it was available. So needless to say we booked ourselves and our 45 quests at another resort. I really thought getting married here would be memorable. I guess I was wrong and realized if you are not treated the way you should before you book it. Really think twice about it and follow your instinct. If I'm treated like this now, how will I be treated when I am there for my wedding.

• Stayed: January 2013
2  Thank tiffanie33
Management-BavaroP, Community Manager at Punta Cana Princess All Suites Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded July 1, 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking your time to write this review. We are investigating this unfortunate issue directly with the hotel management.

We apologize for the inconvenience.

King regards,

Community Manager

Write a ReviewReviews (6,160)

Reviewed June 10, 2013

This was my first trip to the Dominican Republic. I picked PCP because of all the reviews of returning guests-I figured they must be doing something right. Also, because it is a smaller resort, yet we could go to the larger resort next door when we wanted to.

TRANSPORTATION
At the airport, on a side note, I wanted to take a taxi. I kept telling the people hounding us for a ride that I was going to a taxi and we ended up getting suckered in for a private transfer that told us it would be $35, then the guy told us when we go to our resort we owed him $40.
We had a similar experience on the way home. We told the hotel that we wanted a taxi to the airport, they sent a private transfer. We had two people share it with us and they said they'd split the taxi cost. It ended up being $20/person (so the private transfer made $80 that day). Not a huge deal I guess taxi service to PCP is $38 one way but still we never did get just a plain taxi. Just FYI to help other travelers.

But back to the PCP. I was so confident in my choice, but then as we drove towards the resort and I saw the huge amazing looking resorts, I started to get a little nervous. We checked in with no wait time, and were greeted with a welcome drink. We walked around and I felt like I made the wrong decision. The resort was small, and it was not all gleaming and shiny. It was clean, but you could tell it was a little worn.

ROOMS
Our room had a welcome fruit plate, bottle of rum, and box of cigars. It was very clean. We had a view of palm trees along the outer wall. None of the rooms really have a great view. Most have a pool view. Some face other buildings. Only the honeymoon suites have ocean views. This didn't bother us as we were never in our room long. They had flat screen tvs and had a lot of english channels. Our housekeeper kept our room in great shape, and even gave us more pillows when I requested (they give you 3 on a king bed, weird). They stock your fridge with 2 coke bottles, 2 sprite bottles, 2 large bottles of water, and 2 cans of presidente. I stuck a few ones in a day and it was refilled. I think they refill the fridges every day. I always saw the supplies on the maids cart (I know some resorts don't do this everyday). The room had a ceiling fan and the air worked great (we had it on full blast every night-I got cold!). The safe worked great the whole time. The only weird thing is that they brought new pool towels every day at 9:30 pm. We were always gone except one night, so it was a not a big deal, just weird.

I have a memory foam adjustable bed so usually I hate hotel beds. We usually stay at hampton inns or hilton garden inns in the states and these beds always kill my back! The bed at the PCP was just a normal spring mattress and it felt just fine. I never had any back problems. The pillows are thin, if you need extra support ask for more.

EMPLOYEES
All of the employees are very very friendly. They all work very hard. You will always get an hola as you walk by. We never had bad service anywhere. We loved all of the employees. The staff is really intuitive as well. All of the animation staff was able to tell people they could bother and ruse at the pool to play games or chat. They also could tell who not to bother because they did not like to get bothered. They leave a card in your room to list your favorite employees. Make sure to fill this out and put it in the box in the lobby!

FOOD
You can go to one of the alacartes at the resort: Fondue, Mexican, Italian, or Sea Food. There is the Mare Nostrum snack center or the buffet. You can also make a reservation at one of the 6 restaurants at the next door resort. You can make reservations 9-12 for either the next day, or a few days out. I didn't notice until the last day, but they have all the menus to all the restaurants on the wall in the lobby.

All the food was good, but you have to go in with an open mind. The food is not going to taste like at home. It is hard to get used to different food in such a short amount of time. You can tell that they take a great amount of pride in their cooking. Everything is very well prepared and very well presented. They never just slopped anything together. After seeing how skinny their cows are, it makes me really grateful to have the food sources we have in the US. I was craving a big US cheeseburger at the end though :). We always found enough to eat, but were glad to get home to our food. I talked to a girl from Secrets and someone at Hard Rock and they both said the same thing.

The buffet has different nationality foods every night (they have a chart outside). They had a lot of seafood most nights (which I don't like). They had a whole pig-head and all roasted one night too! It was all pretty good. We loved the white rice and mini tacos on hispanic night. We ate breakfast, lunch, and dinner here a few times and it was always very good drink service.

Mare Nostrum has a lot of the buffets main foods available for quick eating by the pool and beach. They have paper plates and forks, etc available. Breakfast at the buffet ends at 10 and lunch starts at 1. We always ended up waking up and eating at mare nostrum since it worked in those hours where the buffet was closed.

Mare nostrum had omelettes, french toast, pancakes, etc for breakfast. They had a different meat they made each day at lunch fresh, changed daily, like chicken, pork chops, burgers. We didn't really like the burgers. But we normally grabbed some fries, nachos, or some other unhealthy delicious treat!

The ala cartes are awesome, 3 course meal places. These meals will take 1.5-2 hours. They restaurants only have one person to take all orders, one water person, one person to bring out the food, etc. It takes a little bit longer, but is inspiring to see how hard they work even though they are short handed. Honestly, it was kind of nice to take a break and sit and enjoy dinner. I am always so rushed and out of time when I go out to eat, so it was nice for once to take my time. We liked the fajitas at the tex mex and ravioli at the italian.

We went to the sister resort and do not go early! be there at the scheduled time or you won't get in. The mexican was better than ours, but the italian was not. Take the tram right up to the restaurant or you can walk if you are adventurous (it is outside past the spa-keep walking).

MASSAGES
We got a couples massage. It was okay, we got the deep tissue and honestly I thought it was a little too rough. We met a couple there who got the romantic package and loved it. We got 15% off for some reason. It was decent.

POOL
Pool was a little worn, but awesome swim up bar. You could really get a chair any time of the day. People played the towel game at the beach, but not so much the pool. We spent most of our time here and had a great time. Lots of games with the animation team: volleyball, water polo, dancing, aerobics, etc. There is a list of all the events by the pool and in the lobby. They kept the pool very clean. They had guys inside it cleaning the sides every day. Beach beds by the pool were open to any.

BEACH
Beach was a good length, you could walk from our resort down either way quite a distance. Very clean, had lots of chairs and room. Had beach beds for the sunwing vip members. Water was very pretty. There wasn't much sea weed, they really took care of it here. Even the empty lot between the pcp and caribe princess they were cleaning up the sea weed daily.

EXCURSIONS
We bought two excursions from Pedro with Tours Point (yellow shirt) that he was selling around the pool. We took the polaris tour-drove a polaris side by side from a place they make coffee to a cave to swim in and then to macao beach. It was really an awesome tour, but we did not get more than 15 minutes at each place we stopped. That was the only downfall. It was so fun driving though! We also did the Pirate ship booze cruise and that was a blast. Lots of drinking, dancing, and swimming. The entertaining staff on this one did awesome and really got everyone to party. Pedro got us really good prices on the tours. Drivers were timely, but we still had to wait for the people at other resorts.

MISC
All in all, we had a great time. We didnt get premium booze, but everything was very good. I saw with my own eyes them open new bottles of alcohol so there is no way they water them down. We tipped quite a bit and they started giving us premium stuff. Honestly, we barely saw anyone tipping. I am not sure why, but we seemed to be about the only ones. The staff really appreciated, and as hard as they worked, they deserved it.

By the end of the trip, I was so happy to be at the PCP. It really grew on me. It was so nice to walk so quickly to where we needed to be. I fell in love with the staff that we kept seeing. And being so small, you get to see the same people places at the resort and you can't help but make friends. It is also really neat because just about everyone at the resort met at night in the lobby for the shows. Were they great? They were decent, but being with friends and drinking made it much better.

The only negative is the little shop stand by the pool. They put it right in front of the bathrooms. So every time you walk by they hassle you. We learned the best thing was to say was maybe tomorrow. Then they left you alone. I also think they got worn out a bit towards the end of the day :). I am not sure why the hotel allows this! It wasn't horrible and you can laugh it off with the other guests. Their prices were pretty high.

I would definitely return to the PCP and recommend this resort to friends. You will be captured by its charm and feel like it is your home away from home. It has that awesome cozy feeling that you belong there. We met people there who were return guests and I can see why. All the guest s were very polite and down to earth. We only met one snobby couple and we can't imagine how they chose to stay there, but they did. I can't wait to see what the renovations will do, and I am sure that it will make it phenomenal.

We stayed 6 nights, 7 days. I have taken a 4 night, 5 day trip before and if you get delays, it really cuts down your trip. I wouldn't recommend such a short trip, so that is why we stayed longer. If that is all you can do, go for it! If not, go at least 7 days.

Room Tip: We were in 1009. First floor room in building one. No view but great room.
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
15  Thank Winelovers917

Dear Guest,

We are delighted to learn that you enjoyed your recent stay at Punta Cana Princess All Suites Resort & Spa and would like to thank you for taking the time to write about your experience here on Tripadvisor.

Guest satisfaction is our main goal at Punta Cana Princess, and it is rewarding to learn that it has been achieved on this occasion.

We would like to thank you for the recommendations you have made and hope that we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back to Punta Cana Princess soon!

With Kindest Regards,

Reviewed June 9, 2013

We spent a great week at the punta Cana princess.everyone was very friendly and the resort was beautiful.the beach was amazing and the grounds immaculate.The only negative thing I can say is the food was not that good.We never went hungry because the buffet always had something we could eat but it was nothing to rave about.one piece of advice I would give is if you are used to a premium brand of toilet paper such as charmin you might consider taking a roll in case you come down with a case of travelers tummy because we really wished we had taken our own toilet paper when we both got upset stomachs .if you do any excursions I would highly recommend the country adventure safari .The guide Alex and the driver Charlie were extremely informative and we got to see the real Dominican Republic

• Stayed: June 2013
2  Thank Sharon H
Management-BavaroP, Community Manager at Punta Cana Princess All Suites Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded June 11, 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write to us and for sharing your kind feedback following your recent visit to Punta Cana Princess. Please accept our apologies regarding the food service that did not meet your expectations. Our team is taking actions to assure the quality of this service as well as the other comments provided.

Thank you very much for your remarks and very kind words regarding our associates.

We hope that we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back soon!

Kind Regards

Reviewed June 8, 2013

My wife and I stayed for 12 nights and it was our first time vacationing in the Caribbean. After return and reading some of the reviews I now understand that the resort will be undergoing renovations starting July. This was certainly one thing I did notice was that although the resort was clean and appeared to be well cared for, much like a lot of resorts in developing countries it showed signs of some much needed maintenance/upgrading. I chose this resort because we are older and although we love kids/grandkids, we wanted to have a 'break' from them during our vacation.

Took the Platinum VIP package and used Dominican Airport Transfer

The biggest asset I believe at this resort are their staff. From the groundskeepers to mgmt we were always greeted with a Hola. Milton who checked us in on a Sunday night remembered my name from just a 5 minute greeting at the counter. Oliver at the buffet knew what we wanted to drink with our dinner and even when we were almost finished our desserts and would ask if were ready for our coffee with milk for my wife and cappuccino for me. The pool was wonderful and unfortunately the wind at the beach was a little stronger than our preference (sand in our eyes) we still managed to spend a few days tanning by the ocean!

I agree, if one is expecting Westernized 5-star cuisine either at the buffets or on-site restaurants, they are not going to get them here. But that doesn't mean you will go hungry. If you are prepared to be somewhat adventurous and open minded a bit, you should be able to find something to your liking everyday. The cook on the grille at the Nare Nostrum made a great omelet for our breakfast and of course greeted all the time with a cheerful Hola!

Kudo to the groundkeeper who opened a freshly picked coconut to give me a taste of fresh coconut water! Great local experience.

I agree, the internet service needs improving. I know we are suppose to be on vacation but these days many of use like to keep in touch with family/friends via social media and I found the internet service to be very frustrating. Not only was it slow but every minute or so, my FB page would jump back to the top so I would have to scroll back down to where I was again which for a 20 min time limit can be very frustrating. Now....one can get another 20 mins but definitely needs improvement....20 mins at a time is fine if speed is there.

As for the Animations....entertainment team....like the rest of the staff, they work long hours. I see them around the beaches around 10 AM (when we got up --- we were on vacation!) and also was the entertainment that typically ended well after 11 PM. The entertainment was certainly not going to win any Tony Awards but it was fun, lots of energy and kept people engaged. What more should one expect?...Well done!

Would we go back....absolutely once renovations are completed as this was really the only negative, if one needed to give one, of the resort.

Oh....I agree, although didn't mind the gift tables and booth trying to sell these types of items at the resort, I was not that impressed with the Royal Holidays approach.....but, I guess they have a business to run.

Good value, good times....just don't raise your rates significantly after the renovations and I'll most likely be back to see Milton, Alberto and the entire staff at the PC Princess All Suites Resort

Room Tip: we were in building 1, second floor. Think with the size of this resort any building should be fine...
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
4  Thank chanclan_bc

Dear Guest,

We are pleased to hear that you have had a wonderful stay at Punta Cana Princess and would like to thank you for taking out the time and sharing your feedback on tripadvisor.

Your observations and opinions are appreciated, as they enable us to assess the standard of our facilities and services and monitor our success in meeting guests needs and expectations.

We know the importance of internet service to our guests. That´s why we´re doing everything possible to enhance the wifi service.

We are pleased you had a delightful stay and the service given by our staff was up to your satisfaction. Your feedback has been shared with all our associates especially Milton and Alberto whose efforts were much appreciated.

We are looking forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Kind regards,

Reviewed June 8, 2013

April 22 to May 7th 20013 (Sunwing Vacation)

This was our first trip to the Dominican, our first stay at an all adult resort and our first stay at a smaller resort.

At first we didn't know if we liked the smaller resort but found it very relaxing, not too busy everything was very convenient and the staff was very friendly. We went one night to one of the other Princess hotels to the buffet and found it quite different there.

We were a little disappointed in the resort as some of it was a little tired looking and the gardens needed some revamping. You could see during our stay that they were working on improvements.

We had booked and paid extra for a deluxe ocean view room - when we arrived there it was very late and when we got up the next morning we discovered that you could see the ocean from our balcony between some of the fronds of a palm tree which was almost completely blocking our view. We went to the front desk and talked to them and they arranged for us to change rooms - no problem but it did cut into our time on the first day.

The room was very comfortable - and clean . The food was very good. We ate most of our meals at the buffet .They had a very good variety and we could always find something we liked. We did like that you didn't have to make reservations for the a la carte restaurants which were also quite good.

The beach was beautiful you could walk for miles and go into the water anywhere and not encounter any rocks or coral. The one complaint we had about the beach was the fact that if you didn't get down there sometime before 7:30 am (people started at 5:30) you had a hard time finding lounges especially if you wanted under an umbrella. We also found that at the pool there weren't enough lounges and yet there was a lot of spaces lounges could have been put.

This resorts biggest asset is its staff. They were all very friendly, very attentive and pleasant. This was our 6th resort experience and would say that the staff here was the best we have encountered. They were always smiling and very often singing and really gave the impression that they enjoyed their jobs. This made for a very comfortable environment.

All and all we did enjoy our stay. The improvements they are doing will certainly add to the experience. We would recommend this place to anyone wanting a relaxing, quiet vacation

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
6  Thank RHeans

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking your time to share your comments following your stay with us here at the Punta Cana Princess.

Please accept our apologies regarding the room. We appreciate your feedback as we continuously strive to improve our service and only through comments provided by our valued guests we will be able to do so.

As you mentioned we are in the process of improving our facilities and renovating rooms to make a Punta Cana Princess a better place for you to stay in the future.

I will surely share your review with our staff, as your feedback is our motivation.

We are looking forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Kind regards,

Reviewed June 7, 2013

We stayed at the resort May 30-June 4. This is a boring resort with probably the worst entertainment staff we have experienced in over ten years. The food was terrible, we had to go to a sister resort to get decent food. There was zero nightlife or activities. To top of the experience, bed bugs. I have over 60 bites on my legs from room 4008. This supposed to be a five-star resort. Not even close, i would rate this resort a one star for having the basic ammenities. Other than that the service, the entertainment and the bed bugs made this one of the worst travel exeperiences I have had second to a cruise with hurricane Katrina 1 day bedhind us in the Gulf of Mexico. I will never return to this bug infested hotel and i will make sure all my friends if in DR never make it to this hotel.

Room Tip: Not room 4008. Building 5 has too much noise from the neighbor hotel.
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank T O

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking your time to write this review. We are investigating this unfortunate issues directly with the hotel management.

We apologize for the inconveniences.

King regards,

Reviewed June 7, 2013

My friend and I come here twice a year. Why, because it's our home away from home! We are always welcomed back with warm hugs and smiles. If your focus is beautiful beach, clean facilities and f riendly service, this is the perfect, very affordable place. Down to earth, relaxed, quiet ( except for the pool area) and peaceful- we always come home refreshed, spiritually renewed and anxious to return. If you are easily pleased.and flexible, go to the PC Princess with respect and appreciation for all the hard working staff .

Room Tip: Building 4 or 5, second or third floor affords a good view and is closest the beach/pool. If you wan...
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends
4  Thank Lenox05

Dear Guest ,

Thank you very much for taking the time to review Punta Cana Princess, and indeed for choosing to stay with us for the fourth time!!

It was an absolute delight to read through your review. Thank you also for your kind praise of our staff. It is absolutely wonderful to hear such great feedback from our guests, and I am sure our whole team will be as thrilled as I am with your wonderful comments.

It would be a pleasure to welcome you back again, hopefully in the not too distant future.

Warmest regards,