“Lovely Intimate Resort”

GreenLeadersBronze level
Rexton, Canada
“Lovely Intimate Resort”
Reviewed May 9, 2013

We made our first visit to this resort on Apr 27 for a one week stay. As the title suggests this is a smaller type resort and that in itself can supply it's own kind of charm. From the main lobby to the beach is probably a five minute walk, ten max. My husband has troubles with his knees and I was worried about the walking but it never was a problem. The rooms were nicely sized with a "step down" living area and I have to say that there were more drawers and closet space than in any other room I have ever stayed in. And our room was kept exceptionally clean and the fridge well stocked thanks to our maid service and we never had the chance to meet her. The only thing they could have improved upon in this regard is there could be more hangers in the closet, other than that the rooms were more than adequate. They ARE getting a bit tired and worn but we were told that the whole resort is getting a facelift as of July so I'm sure everything will have a much newer appearance. The food we found to be more than satisfactory, there was never a time that we couldn't find something that we liked and many times we found awesome choices. I can't comment on the "a la cartes" as we favor the buffet simply because of it's convenience in the time we like to eat. We had our main meals at the main buffet (suppers) and had our breakfast and lunch at Mare Norstrum right on the beach. Smaller selection but the view and location make up for that. The omelets were amazing and loved, loved, loved the pizza selection. Sitting on their patio, having a lovely drink while the ocean breezes blow through your hair, mini paradise. The beach is on the smaller side but adequate. We spent our days at the pool once again due to hubby's knees, much easier to get around on cement than on uneven sand and big waves. The pool is a good size and although the resort seemed to be pretty full I'm thinking most people spent their time at the beach since there would never be more than 20 people in the pool at a time. Water was lovely, clean and the pool bar made awesome drinks. We met numerous people who return time and time again to this resort. One of the charms of a smaller resort is that you get to know the people who take care of you a bit better. Santa and Serapio at Mare Norstrum, Persio and Quelvin who made the best drinks at the beach bar and Luigi (our new adopted son) from the Animation Team were our very favorites and we hated to say "goodbye". If this sounds a bit too relaxed for you and you are looking for more entertainment and excitement, you have access to two other sister resorts. Didn't try them out since everything we wanted was right where we were. For me, the degree of success achieved by a resort is answered by this question " would you go back?" ABSOLUTELY!

5 Thank jigtime

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,006)
  • Czech first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
Raleigh, North Carolina, United States
Reviewed May 6, 2013

Enforced diet camp of doom

My fiancé and I traveled to the Punta Cana Princess for the dates of 12/16/2012 through 12/23/2012 for my 30th birthday. I have waited this long to write this review because it is a very sore subject and I would just as soon forget the entire trip. I have tried to let some time pass so this does not seem like a rant (but….it may still come out that way because the experience was pretty much ALL negative). We chose this resort because it was mid-grade; not the most expensive, but not the cheapest either. Also, because it was adults only, which was awesome! And, the bookit/internet reviews were good---it has an 8 now. I would also venture to say that “star” ratings are not universal after this trip.

We arrived Sunday evening, about 6 pm & checked out a honeymoon suite—which DO NOT have ocean views—not the one we saw at least, there might be one or two that are at the very end of the buildings, but they FALSELY advertise their property as having 7 ocean view honey moon suites. The only difference was the ½ loft with a Jacuzzi. We decided to get the regular room. After walking to and from the lobby twice because our key didn’t work, we finally got in. Nice enough. Typical hotel room, nothing special but we did get the king bed. We stayed in building 4 and I think there was a club somewhere near by….I heard it, but never actually saw it. We went straight to the beach and skipped dinner that night. Woke up the next morning and went to the buffet (Casabe) to get breakfast. TERRIBLE FOOD. The eggs were like soup. The bread/muffins were all rock hard. Milk was sitting out getting warm. Lunch and dinner were both the same story so we decided that we would eat dinner at the a la carte restaurants for the rest of our stay. The Tex Mex & Fondue place were the only places we tried on our resort. The baked potatoes were not even warm and the “nacho cheese” was literally like cheez-whiz out of a jar; not even so much as warmed up. Fondue...to be continued later.

Tuesday morning we walked over to the other resort to check out their breakfast buffet. It was a little better. During our 5-7 minute walk, we were accosted by someone at the sister resort’s “Visitor station” who informed us that if we got married at the resort, TODAY, he could offer us a special deal. After explaining to him that we were NOT willing to get married without our friends and family but may be interested in having a destination wedding with their resort, he spent another 15 minutes trying to persuade us to get married TODAY. I eventually just walked off. While we were relaxing by the pool, we had 2 separate employees approach us and ask if we wanted to book a massage. We told them both that we had already booked one for tomorrow. THIS IS A CONSTANT PROBLEM AT THIS RESORT. THEY WILL NOT LEAVE YOU ALONE NO MATTER HOW MANY TIMES YOU SAY NO. I had read the reviews that said as much and thought that having a 6’3” 250+ lb. male would encourage people to leave us alone after we said no once….not the case. It didn’t matter how many times you passed the same people, they tried to stop you EVERY TIME. We didn’t want to be rude, but at the end of our vacation when they started shouting to us when we were 15-20 feet away, that was just too much. Neither of us can recall an instance when an employee approached us and asked us if there was anything we needed that wasn’t extra (drink? Towel?)

Wednesday was my birthday. Thankfully my fiancé had shelled out an additional $400 to make it an awesome day! He had them decorate the room with balloons and flowers (which they actually did on Tuesday night………so, surprise a day early!) We had room service breakfast delivered and it was great so we decided we would just shell out the extra money every day to have room service for breakfast. While we were waiting by the spa for our massages the same 2 employees from the above paragraph both approached us AGAIN and asked if we wanted to book a massage. We told them we already booked in about 10 minutes. Unfortunately, they were changing the water in the “jacuzzi” so we were not able to use it. FALSE ADVERTISING: This is NOT a Jacuzzi! This is a kiddy pool. There is not a single jet in the entire thing. We had a romantic dinner on the beach, which was nice and a local band of 3 gentlemen came around & sang to us! It really was very nice! The food was good because we paid for it separately, so it was actually worth eating.

By Thursday afternoon, we were locked in our room, eating stale Cheetos and Snickers from the gift shop because it wasn’t even worth the effort to fend off the vultures outside to get around the resort.

Other crappy things:
We paid the upgrade charge so we could have premium drinks. Let me ask you though, HOW IN THE HECK DOES A RESORT LIKE THIS RUN OUT OF A LIQUOR? We finished off the bottle of Jack Daniels that they had and were told there was no more. Why did we pay extra for premium drinks then? When we got drinks at the pool bar, they filled up the cup with their drink ice mix and floated not even a shot on top. You could not even stir it in to the drink. We also never received our fruit basket, slippers, robe or anything else that was supposed to be included with the VIP package.

The casino that you are allowed access to…..you have to fend off a timeshare sales man for that property every time you walk to the beach. We were literally sitting in the lobby with our bags, waiting for our taxi to the airport to go home and he had the nerve to come over and ask us if we wanted to go see the other resort! My fiancé had told him ‘maybe’ the first day (trying not to be rude) but had told him we weren’t interested at least 3 times later in the week.

BOOK IT EXCURSIONS: I booked a dune buggy ride for our trip through the excursions section of bookit. We were told that we had to meet the VIP travel representative (Armando? Armande? Never got a straight answer) in the lobby to set up pick up times and what not. When we asked the staff when he would be there, they told us and we came back at that time. He never showed up. He never showed up the next day either….so we were never actually able to do our excursion. Luckily, they refunded my money, but I still bought snorkel gear specifically for that that we didn’t get to use.

Fondue restaurant: The fondue restaurant was closed for the first 5 days that we were there. There was no explanation why, not even so much as a sign on the door! You just had to figure out that they weren’t open when you walked up to the door and it was dark, then figure out where else you were going to eat. Once we did get in, it was.....edible with very sloppy staff. One of the tables actually caught on fire because they just slop the fondue pots around.

Ocean waiter Service: We saw the waiter on the beach one time the entire 7 days that we were there. Again, I call that false advertising.

DOMINICAN NIGHT: They closed every other restaurant on the property and forced you to eat at the buffet if you didn’t make reservations elsewhere. Then they let in vendors to set up at the entrance to the buffet so you had to fend off the local vendors just going to dinner. There were about 7-10 of them.

They need to pay their cable bill. Normally that wouldn’t matter while on vacation, but once you get sick of fending off the salespeople and don’t want to leave your room, it starts to matter. There was constantly a black box popping up, blocking out the screen saying “call us to discuss your bill” (we have a pic.) We watched Philadelphia on this vacation….that’s how tired we were of being accosted by the employees/salespeople at this resort.

By Friday, we had to track down the housekeeping staff because they just quit putting drinks in our room refrigerator. Not that it really mattered as we came back from the beach on Tuesday and realized that she had stocked it in such a way that it wouldn’t close and wasn’t making anything cold anyway. The last straw for eating anything at this resort was when my fiancé spent the day on Thursday in the fetal position with stomach cramps. He didn’t drink any of the water….we didn’t even brush our teeth with it.

The archery “range” has exactly one target.

The mini golf course (at the sister resort) is unplayable. The green is coming up and if it has rained, it’s a swamp.

Good things:
Mamma Mia at the sister resort was VERY GOOD. As soon as we were able to get over there after we realized how bad everything else was we decided we’d go there every night for dinner if we could. The problem that arose with this is that you have to make a reservation the day before, before noon. If you go there on Wednesday & like it, the soonest you can reserve again is for Friday dinner.

The beach is beautiful. The property is also well maintained, but again, what is the point of raking the seaweed off the beachfront when you don’t bother to clean the cigarette butts up at the entrance from the beach to the resort?

The sales people leave at 6 so you are allowed to roam about freely after that.

Jean Marie Guerin (pronounced Gene—at least that’s what he said). He works for the photo place inside the Princess resort and was AWESOME!!! His amazing photos literally made me cry. I was so happy how great they turned out. The trip was so bad by that point we were considering paying $300 to change our flight and eating the cost of the lost days at the resort.

Manuel—he is the hardest working person I’ve ever seen. I think he spent more time at the resort than we did the whole time we were there!!!! He works at the Mare Nostrum bar by the beach and was our favorite person (along with Jean) when we left. PLEASE TIP THIS MAN!!!! All the staff overall was very nice. Housekeepers and maintenance crew were all very friendly and smiley.

I could go on and on….but I will stop as this is long enough. I literally shed a tear when we took off and again we landed back on my home soil. The reason for the subtitle is because my fiancé and I both lost 10 pounds this week and I can assure you it WAS NOT from physical activity. I don’t want any person to feel as ripped off as I do so if this review stops even one person from booking here, it will have been worth my time to do it.

A few notes about the Punta Cana Airport (PUJ):
It was basically a mad dash once we got off the plane. The airport workers do not try to give you any direction and barely speak to you when you present your passport. We weren’t even sure what we were doing or where we were going….we just followed the other people on our plane and hoped it would be ok!
NOTE: If you do book this resort even after reading this review, go ahead and set up the Hard Rock Casino visit with the salesperson that ropes you in when you are going to the taxi line. We were wishing desperately that we would have by Wednesday….just in the hopes of getting an edible meal.
Give yourself plenty of time for your departure. We gave ourselves 2 hours (typical for all flights that I have ever taken). This was almost not enough. When we got to the airport, the computer system was down and it took about ½ hour for the airline employees to open their counter for check in. Then, we were FORCED into a line to get a photo taken with females dressed in “native garb”. There was NO OPTION to leave this line.
This forced a lot of people to be running a bit behind as they didn’t plan on spending ½ hour in line for this. Security was…….annoying. The line that we were in had a broken scanning machine (or whatever) and they didn’t bother to close the line so once we got to the front, we had to cut in line of the line next door.
Their flight schedule clocks were about 15 minutes slow for the actual time.
Our gate showed the wrong flight destination until we were running down the runway to catch it because we didn’t know which gate we were supposed to be at due to the misinformation of the airport.

We are so adamant about this being a terrible place to go, we would attach a phone number or email so you could call us and we could talk you out of staying here if we could!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
11 Thank Angel F
New Oxford, Pennsylvania
Reviewed May 5, 2013

My group (6 of us) stayed 4 nights at this all-inclusive, adults only resort and we had a fabulous time! The staff worked continuously to keep everything clean, everyone was very friendly, and the food was delicious. We tried two of the restaurants. The Tex Mex Steakhouse was excellent. The Swiss Fondue restaurant experience was not very good. The buffet has amazing choices and was my personal favorite due to the variety of foods. The snack bar is open all day long and is convenient to the beach and has hot and cold food choices. We were in Building 5 and had top floor rooms. We could see the ocean and the pool from our balconies. It is a quiet resort, but that is what we wanted. I would return to this beautiful location!

Room Tip: If you can handle the steps, request a top floor room in Building 5 for a great view!
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
3 Thank LMM1956
Moncton, New Brunswick, Canada
Reviewed May 3, 2013

We were a group of 9 travelling from April 20th to April 27Th, 2013. It was my first time in Dominican Republic and this resort was recommended by several of my coworkers...I was not disappointed! The resort is very clean and well kept! The rooms could use some updating but it was not a bid deal to us. The beach was amazing...it was a bit windy the first 2 days we were there but we loved to play in the big waves! The beach bar was the best: Coco loco and banana mama..Oh! .how I miss my favorite drinks...The food was good...not extraordinary but there was always something to please everybody in our group. I loved the buffet myself...the pasta bar was my favorite. You just had to choose your pasta, the sauce and veggies and they would cook it right in front of you. The entertainement team was awesome..always coming to talk to us and if your willing to participate in their games, it's a lot of fun. We went to the disco one night and we had a good time...I loved that you could just get on that shuttle and go to the resort next door for something different to do. The fact that it is an adults only resort was important to us...having 3 kids at home, we wanted to relax kids-free! We had a great time and would love to go back someday!
Cindy (Canada)

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
3 Thank Cindy B
Moncton, Canada
Reviewed May 3, 2013

I’m struggling with my review of this resort because, though it had all the elements of a fantastic resort, there just seemed to be something “missing” – though we spent 15 days here that went by in a blink, so the “missing” element must be fairly insignificant. I feel the reason it has so many repeat visitors is the attention from the staff. I’ve noticed a lot of “shout outs” in previous reviews from people claiming to have gone for their “12th time” and I’ve concluded that, for many, personal service is the deciding factor for a great resort. This may sound harsh but, staff who call me their “family” and remember me because I was nice to them (and tipped well) do not make a resort seem perfect to me. If that’s important to you, this is your resort. Besides that, this resort doesn’t have anything that really sets it apart from others, in my opinion. We stayed at resorts rated much lower on the tripadvisor scale and found that the food, rooms, and drinks are just as good – and they’re all on the same incredible beach. Would I go back? In a heartbeat - but I wouldn’t pay more to return here if similar resorts were up for grabs, and it wouldn’t be to “return to my Dominican family for hugs and kisses”.

That being said, here’s my “cold hearted” analysis: It’s a very small adult-only resort directly on the beach with nice waves and quite a few huts (though the huts are too close to one another for my liking). There’s a bar right on the beach near the huts complete with blender drinks and a great bartender, who provides waiter service for drinks when he’s not too busy. In addition, there’s separate buffet on the beach, open 24 hrs and serves breakfast as early as 6am, complete with an omelet dude. There are also volleyball nets, and the SeaPro stand is just to the left (selling water sports). For the pool people, there’s one large pool complete with walk-up bar, swim-up bar and stools, volleyball and water polo nets. Everything is very close to one another, so you’re never far away from anything. There are lots of friendly security guards. Onsite there are 4 free a la cartes for unlimited use and no reservations required (and never a line up). The reasons I can’t gush about this resort: buffet food was “hit and miss”, the desserts were disappointing, the coffee was reminiscent of “office coffee” and most of the nightly entertainment was held at the sister resort, which wasn’t easily accessible by trail as I’d envisioned, but by walking along the road in front of the resort or by beach. This is probably all you need to know but, I’m a detail-oriented person, and we were there for 2 weeks (April 13 – 26) so I have lots to expand on if you’ve already booked and want to know about everything before you leave. Rest assured: you’ll have a wonderful vacation.

The rooms are decent enough, no complaints. If you get a top floor room, the roof is peaked and makes the room seem much larger. We flew with Sunwing and had the following amenities: beach towels are in your closet, changed each night for you during turn-down service; the mini-bar is stocked each day with 2 Presidente beer (requests for extra cost $3 each), 4 pop and 2 large water; the safe is FREE (huge bonus, in my opinion). We always had lots of room towels and a basket of toiletries (soap, shampoo & conditioner, etc) is provided as well, if you’re trying to cut down on your packing. There’s also a standard wall hair dryer. We did have problems getting hot water at “peak” time around 5pm. There’s a flatscreen with satellite tv (my fiancé exclaimed that he “found the reason the PCP was rated a 4.5 star” when he found treasure on channel 96…..).

We weren’t really sure what “the big deal” was about the PCP until we were there a few days and realized that the staff wasn’t just exceptional at certain times or certain places – but all the time. We never waited for a drink at any bar, my glass was impossible to empty during dinner – even at the buffet. The grounds were immaculate and, no matter who you passed on a walkway, they always greeted you with a smile and “hola” if they worked for the PCP. There was a room available for us as soon as we got there, despite the fact that we arrived in the morning. We asked to move rooms (nothing wrong with our room but we really wanted top floor, not bottom) and Milton said “no problem” and got it for us by the following day. Bring lots of tipping money because, though I was never left with the impression that they expected it, they sure did deserve it, and it was always appreciated.

I’d read reviews complaining about “unfriendly service” at the fondue restaurant so we’d braced ourselves for the worst – and were shocked to be treated like celebrities. Maybe they thought we were Brad & Angelina? All I know is that from the moment we walked in the door we had the best time! They repeatedly offered “more to drink? More to eat? Want some shrimp? Cheese? More mamajuana?”. I think many times tourists misinterpret a language barrier as “rudeness”. Remember, English is their second (sometimes 3rd) language. They’re very good at what they do and shouldn’t be judged as “rude” if they haven’t perfected the knack of kissing your butt in your own language yet. Yes, it’s warm in there because there are hot vats of fondue everywhere. Dress lightly.

We ate at the fondue place twice, at the Rio Grande (Tex Mex) twice and, regrettably, only once at the Italian restaurant. All a la cartes were very good but I would like to have seen more Mexican options at the Rio Grande (the only appetizer was a burrito, and the only entrée was fajitas – and it was only available for 2 people, not 1; which makes it difficult when you’re there as one couple and your spouse doesn’t love fajitas the way you do). We tried the Italian late in the trip which was too bad because the food was wonderful and there was a huge selection on the menu. The buffets were hit and miss. We really enjoyed the Mexican, the Dominican and the Asian nights, but found it hard to find something we liked at the seafood and Spanish nights. Both buffets are “open” to the outside and there’s a designated smoking section in the larger one. Most breakfasts and lunches were spent down at the beach buffet, which was peaceful early in the morning. During the day there are always sandwich fixings and a Panini press. Hotdogs, pizza and nachos with hot cheese sauce are always there as well. Every few days there’s a barbeque on the beach with steak, chicken, ribs and skewers.

So, even reading this review, it’s hard to pinpoint why we didn’t love this place the way others do. For me, I think, it may be one silly thing: the desserts. I’m one of those girls who diet for months to get down there and all I want is a big piece of heavy chocolate cake – but there is none. There’s a lot of “flon-based” pies and squares, as well as hard ice cream. Every single day was the same “rolled log” cakes with more cream than cake in them. Brownies weren’t very sweet, and were more “gunky” than spongy. There was one cake at the Dominican buffet that was heavy, moist and soaked in coconut cream. We each had 3 pieces. It was amazing. Other than that, maybe the PCP could do well with hiring a good dessert chef. Many will argue that desserts in the DR are never great – but I still dream about the ones at the Occidental Grand. Second, most resorts have some sort of signature snack offered in the afternoon for those that have been drinking all day, like “churros” or “chimichangas” – but there’s nothing like that here. People talked about fried chicken in their reviews – but I couldn’t find it. There are fruit skewers by the pool – but fruit isn’t a “drinking snack” (spoken like a true Canadian, aye?). Third, the coffee wasn’t very good (think they may have been using powdered milk in it). Fourth, you had to go to the sister resort to see the shows. We just felt there was something missing, but I’ll concede that it’s possible that travelling for the last few years has just made us spoiled. Seeing my complaints in writing, they look as trite as those who complain about no Heinz ketchup and no hot chocolate available on 35C days (both of which are available at the PCP, by the way).

Sunwing: Flights were great, no problems. The Rep at the resort, however, and his knowledge of the Relax package was not stellar. His priority was selling excursions (which you could buy cheaper from Figaro on the beach). My best advice: bring a printout of your Sunwing inclusions. The Relax package, for example, includes a bottle of rum and 3 cigars (which we received). It also includes “late checkout up to 4pm if available”. When I went to the front desk to request the late checkout, I was told it would be $49. When I told them it was free in my package, they said it wasn’t. So I spoke to the Rep and he, too, said it wasn’t. So I brought up the package online (you get 20min free internet per day in the “Sunwing VIP area” in the lobby, which is equipped with 3 laptops) and showed him as proof, then he sighed and made arrangements with the front desk for us. Though this was a hassle, it was well worth it for us to have a place to shower at the end of the day before leaving for our flight!

Excursions: You can buy the same excursions offered by Sunwing from Figaro on the beach. Nice guy. We bought the Boogie Adventures from him and had no problems. We didn’t really enjoy it, however: whether you choose the dune buggy or ATV, you all go in the same line down a very bad dirt road TO the beach (not ON the beach as advertised) and there are many poor children at each stop trying to get money. It’s heart-wrenching. The stops at the coffee mills and the cave are neat, though. Next time we’ll buy an excursion from the Sea Pro guys, who sell trips where you drive individual speedboats to snorkeling areas, and you can bug them to give you better prices on banana boat rides and parasailing in combination.

If you’ve never travelled to the DR before, please feel free to email me. I have lots of tips for newbies!

Room Tip: Top floor has peaked roof, which makes the room seem bigger
9 Thank Christa T
montreal
Reviewed May 1, 2013

food good ,the room at 3 floor are very good ask for 1200 ,but the restaurant fondue is too hot too eat there ,bar are good buffet o.k,you got too get up urly too get get a chair under a umbrella very quiet all the light close about 11p,m and the disco are in the other hotel ,

Room Tip: no spa at that time
1 Thank decus
Ottawa, Canada
Reviewed April 30, 2013

We travelled from April 20 to the 27 in Punta Cana at the Princess hotel with Sunwing from Ottawa. This resort is for + 18 yrs old. There is no intertaiment at this resorl, you have to go to the Caribe Princess next door. This was great for us very quiet and only 270 rooms.
The beach is gorgeus and the food very good. There are 3 restaurants a la carte, Italien, Tex Mex and La petite Fondue. La petite Fondue is swiss but was disapointed, cause not enough food, if you choose the fondue bourguignon (brooth). The buffet restaurant was great, every night a different theme, the mexican night excellent. The stores on the resort not the best, need to go to the other resort. There is a store called Nicole, and she is canadian, but her price is too expensive. As a Sunwing passenger, we are VIP, that means 20 mn free/day for the internet. Free bailys, sambuca ect. The only thing we are not happy, is t hat every night , we needed to go to the front desk to aske for differnt things, face cloth, soap, bottle of water, beer ect.

Room Tip: The rooms will be renovated next year, if you want to be close t o the beach , building 4, 5 and clo...
2 Thank Lucie L