“Great Experience”

GreenLeadersBronze level
Towson, Maryland, United States
“Great Experience”
Reviewed February 10, 2013

The best part of this resort is the small and quaint property size. We met several people who have returned to this resort 3-4 times; definately speaks highly of this resort. I really enjoyed the diverse ethnicity of the guests; Canadians, Germans, French, and Russians; as Americans, we were in the minority, but I enjoyed hearing all the languages.

Beautiful grounds, friendly staff, no reservations required at any of the 4 restaurants on the property. I've been to a few all-inclusives and this resort has some nice perks; robes in the room; small fridge stocked with water and sodas daily, nice room size with a small balcony to relax. And since this is adults only, guests have access to the other 2 sister properties, which the other property guests do not have the same benefit.

We stayed 5 days, and spent time at the pool and the beach. Never had trouble finding a chair, and with under 300 rooms, you don't wait in lines for anything; very relaxed atmosphere.

I was celebrating a birthday, and the maid decorated our room with balloons and flowers.

There is a disco at the sister property, and we went there one night. Open to locals, but mostly guests and the event staff attends. Great local music with some American mixed in.

Downside; and I think it was the time of year we went (Feb. 5 - 9) the age population was a little older than we were expecting, based on a friend's experience. Therefore, some of the activities were not as active as we would have liked, some of the activities, they could not find enough participation, but the animation crew adapted some activities for those who wanted to participate.

Room Tip: I recommend building 5, which is closest to the pool and beach. Ground floor was a little musty, but...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank Kelly J

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,005)
  • Czech first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed February 8, 2013

Travelled to the Punta Cana Princess on Jan 22nd to for a one week stay. We were a party of 8 travelling together. For 3 of us it was the 4th visit and the rest our 3rd visit to this resort. Once again I have to give a huge thanks to Hector. You and your staff went above and beyond to make our stay fantastic. We requested rooms (4 in total) in building 5 and once again we were accommodated (Thanks Hector). From Judy at check in to the bell boy who carried our luggage out on the way home the staff were great.
One of our party has food allergies and Ramon and Francis (as well as the chefs) were always looking out for us at meal times to ensure that she had something to eat. Thanks guys!!
The property is smaller than most resorts and is kept very clean. Yes it is showing its age in some places but it is very well maintained. The ground crew out do themselves on keeping the property pristine. The room are also in need of an upgrade but very clean, no problems with hot water or power. The maids did a fantastic job of cleaning up after us everyday. Mini bar always stocked with lots of water, soft drinks and beer. Having turn down service and beach towels delivered to your room every night is a plus...no waiting at towel exchanges in the morning!
The food is good to great. The buffet does get a bit repetitive at times but the ala carte restaurants are all very good and no reservations required. The wait staff are great (thanks Nancy) as are most other staff you will encounter. I have to thank Nelson (pool bar), Jose & Oscar (at beach bar) Kenia (who seems to everywhere) and Felix who was a great help everyday on the beach.
Had a great time and will be back for sure.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
8 Thank James L
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed February 7, 2013

I travelled to Punta Cana for the very first time in December of 2012. The resort made it very hard for me to go back to the Dominican.

I am not a picky person nor the one to write reviews, however, my time there for the amount of money I spent on the trip was definitely not worth it. I travel and vacation a lot so I have a good idea of what you will get out of what you pay for. And this resort was a complete waste of my money!

First of all, if you are going to this resort, make sure you bring a suitcase lock because the safe that they provide for you can be hacked! I had $300 US taken from our safe. Our bedroom door does not close properly unless you close it a certain way. We figure this out shortly after arriving and we assume the maid had figured it out as well because it was the same maid who did the cleaning and every time she had closed the door properly. When I found out my money was taken after coming back for dinner, we went to front desk to report it right away.They did a internal computer history print out of the access cards being used in our room and internal access history of our safety box as well. It showed that the maid had enter our room for our nightly cleaning while we were out for dinner BUT THE DOOR WAS NEVER CLOSED after she did the cleaning on the 4th day we were there. And in the internal safe reading it showed that someone had access our safe shortly after the maid had entered. We knew it was not us because we had a la carte reservation at the other resort around that time.
When we went through the reporting process with the guest service and management, they DID NOTHING ABOUT IT! All they said was "I'm sorry for your lost and we will see further into it"
I had asked to speak to someone further up in the ladder but they told me I would have to call Princess Resorts, which I did and no response thus far and its February.
Please lock your valuables in your suitcase, I do not want this to happen to someone else. Also, check your balcony doors because they never locked the balcony doors after cleaning!

Secondly, the food at this resort was horrible. Ive been to Cuba countless amount of times, and everyone says Cuban food is the worst, well not after you have been to this resort. The variety was very minimum and it was obvious that a lot of the items were not fresh with flies on the food and I caught a server mixing the old crusty top layer of the food in which the flies were sitting on into the bottom part so it always looked "fresh". We had to eat at the affiliated resort beside us in order to eat a decent meal.

The drinks were great though! They had a lot of the American brands we are used to like Baileys and Johnny Walker.

Lastly, The water was amazing! However, the beach itself was small. There were only certain amount of beach chairs and little huts available, so my friends and I would have to take turns waking up at 6:30 am in order to save us all a spot!!! I find this to be ridiculous. If I am paying over $1200 for an all-inclusive trip, there should be enough chairs for everyone there!

All in all, Ive been to over 8 resorts in the last 5yrs and this one has got to be the worst in terms of service and quality. It was a small resort so the theater and all the entertainment were at the affiliated resort beside us. However, the 18+ part of it was great. No screaming kids on the beach when you are trying to relax and sleep.

I regret going to this resort. At the price point we paid, we could have definitely gotten a way better resort. I do not understand how its rated so high on this site.
We are definitely not coming back nor are we going to any Princess resorts.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
8 Thank TravelBug Y
Marion
Reviewed February 6, 2013

had the pleasure of staying there from Jan 18-25, 2013. Had a great time. Shout out for Raisa and Ronaldo. Raisa as a waiter/greeter and Ronaldo at front desk. Actually just about all the staff was very friendly and it was their intent that your vacation be as good as possible. Was wondering if we had made a mistake picking Punta Cana. On the way from the airport to the resort was not pretty at all, kinda third world looking, but when we got close to the resort it was absolutely beautiful!

Room Tip: Building 4 or 5 is my pick. Both are close to pool and beach,
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
8 Thank Sarah T
Sharon Hill, Pennsylvania
Reviewed February 6, 2013

I traveled to this resort September 18, 2012 for a girlfriend get away. The resort wasn't a super WOW, but it wasn't that bad. So, here's the deal:

Things I liked:
The gardens were well-kept
Plenty of chairs for the beach and pool
Check in was quick as well as check out
Close to the airport, only a half-hour ride
Somewhat a smaller resort, not that much walking
Boutiques/Shops at the resort

Things I wished were different:
Not enough variety with the daily lunch buffet
No top shelf liquor
Room requests for face cloths not honored
One swim-up bar
Specialty Restaurants just ok, except La Petite Fondue ( really enjoyed that one!)
Jacuzzi located in the Spa which is outside of the resort, a good walking distance
Men selling cigars at the resort, a tad bit aggressive-but I understand it's business

So...would I recommend this resort-Yes knowing all the above. I couldn't really complain because the cost was not so bad.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
3 Thank pljones
Windsor
Reviewed February 5, 2013

We stayed at this resort in October 2012 and were disappointed in the overall experience. We have travelled extensively over the past number of years and are familiar with what we should expect in each country. This resort was lacking in friendly staff, Also in professional courtesy. We were in need of calling our travel representative for information of our return to the airport and home and the resort was of no help until I found a good employee to make a telephone call on our behalf. The others wanted $50US to make that call.

The rooms were fine after we changed to the correct one we paid for. The food was OK but not great. The italian was the best by far. Kudos to Francis, he was awesome and went well above and beyond for us with a birthday set up for my girlfriend. Franciso was realy friendly and a few of the ladies were very good too in the buffet and ala cartes. The resort was nicely laid out and the beach was beautiful. If the front desk staff were more courtious and friendly, and the entertainment and enjoying activities were not on the resort next door, it would have been a much nicer holiday.

Think twice before going here. The Dreams properties in Punta Cana are very good. Dreams Palm Beach a bit better than Dreams Punta Cana. Beach here at The princess is better than both though.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
5 Thank BigDaddy77
London, Canada
Reviewed February 2, 2013

My wife and I just returned from a 10 day stay at the Princess Suites. I have been to a lot of all inclusive resorts but this was my wife's first experience and we were very pleased with how well this resort is run. Reynaldo greeted us on arrival with a big smile, checked us in and remembered our name throughout stay. I must say I thought all staff were extremely pleasant to deal with and made our stay relaxing and worry free. The buffet food was ok and the restaurants were quite good for the price of the resort. A lot has to do with expectations and this resort exceeded mine. I don't expect my meals to be like what I get in Michelin star rated establishment, but they would be on par with a Kelseys other mid range establishment. Neither of us got sick or anything like that, but we cautious on not eating washed vegetables. I noticed a lot of others were and they were fine so maybe I was over cautious.

I really like the fact that it is a smaller resort and you get to know people there and everything is close. We were in the farthest building from the beach, but it was still only a two minute walk.

Dislikes: The guy selling art by the pool got annoying after saying "no" every time I walked by.
The animation team at night though I didn't watch much of it the one show "Mr. Princess" was lame and consisted of watching guys do push ups at which point I left for the casino. The animation by the pool was loud, but resolved this by going to the beach. Some enjoyed it, so lesson is you can't please everyone.

We did have some Russians, Germans, Americans but I think 50% was Canadian when we were there. Great to meet people from all over the world.

Conclusion: I would definitely return. Overall Excellent.

One thing I would like to note is that people (guests) complain about the dumbest things and let little things ruin their holiday. Does it really matter that they ran out of bacon and were cooking more and you might have to wait 10 minutes? No place, nor anyone is perfect, so relax and enjoy what an awesome place it is.

Room Tip: We stayed in building 2 which is farthest from the beach, but it was clean and quiet. It didn't...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple