“Fantastic in every way”

Punta Cana Princess All Suites Resort & Spa
Ranked #29 of 112 Hotels in Punta Cana
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed October 17, 2011

Having read every review since booking this holiday a few months ago I can honestly say I'm glad the bad ones didn't put me off.

My partner and I stayed here for 2 weeks from 1st Oct. We are both in our twenties and wanted a quieter holiday.

On arrival we were greeted with cocktails as we checked in and also got allocated a room in Building 5 which we had requested prior to arriving. Building 5 is the closest to the beach and the pool.

The room had 2 double beds, very spacious and absolutely spotless. The maid cleaned the rooms every day and refilled our mini bar. A lot of reviews state that the hotel needs updated, personally the decor made it feel more authentic. Your not paying to stay in the Ritz or the Waldorf so don't expect it.

The grounds to the hotel are VERY well kept and the staff definitely work for their money. The sea weed is swept off the beach everyday,and if you want a coconut they don't think twice about climbing a palm tree to grab you one! the beach is the most stunning beach I've ever been on- White sands and a view that goes on forever - paradise.

I was slightly nervous about the food before arrival however after our 1st breakfast I knew there was no need to worry. The selection of breakfast foods is fantastic. They have everything from cereals to cooked meets, pancakes, muffins, fruit etc. The Tex Mex restaurant is also fab, very tasty. Fondue was also a great experience and Jose made it all the better with his strong alcohol coffee! The Itallian for me wasn't that great but you can't suit everyone. Each night the buffet restaurant has different themes I can highly recommend the Oriental and the Mexican Night. We also tried the Brazillian restaurant at the Caribe Hotel (sister resort) it was a bit disappointing so think twice if you want to book that one. I felt it was too slow and we got our meal in dribs and drabs.

The animation team at the resort are very friendly and loads of fun. Joel the animation manager was an absolute gem and again worked very very hard. They play beach sports during the day and then pool games in the afternoon. Most nights in the lobby the animation team have different shows and again try to get everyone involved. This is a very quiet resort and after 11pm you can either carry on drinking cocktails in the beach bar or try the disco at the Caribe resort where a shuttle will pick you up and drop you off. We went twice, the 1st time on a sat which was busy and the 2nd was a Wednesday and it was very quiet. It plays mostly Spanish music which was okay but some Rhianna or Usher etc would have been appreciated! Drinks before 12 are free after 12 they are $5.

Drinks which unless you are VIP are all local. During the day the spirits seem weak until approx 4pm and then get stronger. Obviously they don't want drunks falling about the beach or the pool so this is their reason. We loved Coco loco cocktails and the margaritas were amazing. We tipped the staff quite a bit during our stay but seeing how hard the people work you don't grudge it. Make sure you take $1 bills they really appreciate it.

Being an adult only hotel all we expected were no kids. We then realised this attracted many swinger couples to the resort. "whatever floats your boat" but it most definitely isn't for us. They don't broadcast it by any means but if your easily offended then just beware.

Overall we had a ball will definitely return in a couple of years.

• Stayed: October 2011
10  Thank shiv2010
Write a ReviewReviews (6,033)

Reviewed October 16, 2011

We just returned from our first trip to the Dominican Republic with another couple who've been there 4 times but stayed at a different resort. I read all the reviews, messaged several loyal fans and was very confident this was the type of resort we would be completely happy with...I emailed Hector with a request for the 5th building in a room near our friends and he put us in adjoining rooms in building 5. Our view was spectacular, we loved watching the sunrise every morning and the activity at the pool in the late afternoon. Nelson at the pool bar is amazing, he seems to truly love his job and as soon as he found out my husband's drink (jim beam) he always had a bottle available for him. Be careful though because if you sit at the pool bar your glass will never be empty...lol. Luisa who relieved Nelson in the afternoon was equally good. The grounds are beautiful and it's interesting to watch the men climb the trees to trim them. The food is adequate, kind of hit and miss and the breakfast buffet gets tiresome after a day or two but there is always something to eat. I enjoyed the Italian the best and others in my party enjoyed the Tex Mex. The beach bbq is the same each time and most of it is overcooked but there are other alternatives. We went to the Caribe one day for lunch and it was a much better buffet. The wait staff at the Caribe was much more attentive. At the pcp breakfast buffet I asked for diet coke instead of coffee and the server walked away and poured coffee for every other table, my husband had to ask again and about 10 min later and he finally brought it, the next day the same problem but he brought me regular coke instead so when I went to the bar to get it myself the manager Augustin attempted to get it for me. There was no diet coke available at the buffet bar so he went somewhere else and got it for me, it seems the server (Adrian) couldn't be bothered to look for what I wanted. From then on Augustin made sure I had diet coke for breakfast every day and the last couple of days Juana Iris (sp) was our server and she was fantastic. It seems the staff needs a lot more supervision than they receive, I saw a lot of staff doing bare minimum work. The guys who clean the pool spend a lot of time socializing, hiding in the water under the swim up bar and very little time actually cleaning the pool. I never saw either of them clean the whole pool, just the same spots every day and they took a lot of breaks while doing it. One afternoon we went back to our room at 4pm and our rooms were still not cleaned, when we found the housekeeper she came and did the rooms but never cleaned the toilet all week in either room and left the used coffee filter in our friend's coffee pot. I had to ask for coffee cups on one occasion because they didn't leave any. Be careful about your patio doors, ours was always unlocked after housekeeping was there and I watched them from the pool in other rooms and they do not lock the patio doors. The entertainment staff leaves a lot to be desired, they don't come to the pool area until around 3pm and they are finished by 4pm. We saw a couple of their shows in the lobby but they don't really advertise them and they weren't that good. After lunch we like to nap by the pool but they are constantly driving vehicles around the grounds. The bali beds are comfortable but desperately need to be updated and maintained. It rained a couple of times while we were there but they provide umbrellas in the closet (we didn't realize it until midway through the week though), which is a nice touch. When we were leaving our friends left some things in the room and the housekeeper yelled down to ask about it, they said they didn't want it (bathing suit and something else) but the bag handler ran back up to the room and brought down her cell phone and charger that she forgot, that was very nice. We left things out all week, (inexpensive digital cameras, change on the desk, ect) and nothing was stolen. All in all the resort is nice but the service is not what we expected, we felt most of the staff does not go out of their way to make you feel special or attempt to make this resort a home. We met several other couples with the same sentiments. Unfortunately, the good does not outweigh the bad and we would not return to this resort nor recommend it to anyone.

Room Tip: Building 5 is the best in our opinion, email Hector and request it.
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple
3  Thank luv2travel1
Reviewed October 11, 2011

my partner took me here on vacation, and from all the mixed reviews we were a little scared that this might end up being our own personal hell, thankfully, luckily magically this was not, it was actually quite the opposite, we had an AMAZING time. i did as everyone advised and emailed Hector, for a room in the 5th building on the 3rd floor, and my word were we impressed! the ceiling are a cathedral style and the room is just huge. the food was good, not great, but far from bad, and ALWAYS available. room service was also amazing. the grounds as everyone also says are immaculate! they work around the clock to maintain them.

a short list of pros and cons.

CONS
-people will try to sell you everything and they are pushy. it gets annoying if you aren't in the mood.
-we caught a bit of a bug and were crampy and poopy for a bit after we got home, not the resorts fault though
-its a Caribbean take on north american food. don't expect gourmet.
-people do NOT leave their beach/pool chairs for the life of them, the building could be on fire and there towels would STILL be there. be warned. 630am they start!
-top shelf is smirnoff. just sayin.
- a bag of chips was 12 CDN.

PROS

-BEAUTIFUL beach. just beautiful.
-food 24/7
-amazing staff/ amazing cleaning ladies.
-the boogie excursion
- amazing pool, that "closes" at 9, but no one cares if you swim after hours.
-drinks EVERY WHERE
-the amount of people you will meet from around the world.
-the older/mature crown that still party.
-everything is so clean
-3rd floor rooms are amazing
-sitting around doing nothing but eating and drinking even in hell would probably still be a delight.

Room Tip: email Hector, ask for the 3rd floor in any building.
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple
8  Thank Taradactyll
Reviewed October 2, 2011

My husband and I returned to this location after visiting here last year for our honeymoon. We enjoyed the experience so much that it wasn't much of a discussion as to where we wanted to go for our anniversary - we loved the PCP! And we were not disappointed.

Once again we were greeted by friendly staff, this time with a special coconut drink as we were returning visitors. We had our room on the third floor of building 5, and it was great. Cleaning staff was helpful and did a great job. We have no complaints about the cleanliness of the rooms.

The a la carte restaurants were also superb, and Jose at La Petite Fondue went above and beyond to make our anniversary special by setting up special tables for us. This has been our favourite restaurant, and we recommend the shrimp fondue (something that we didn't try until our last day and wished we'd tried it sooner). If you like coffee, ask Jose for his special, Coffee Romantico - it's very strong, but very delicious, and the presentation is really awesome. The Italian Restaurant was also great.

The staff are very friendly and appreciate dialogue (even if you don't know Spanish). Most speak English, and the ones that don't can pretty much understand what you say to them, so communication is *rarely* an issue. I would recommend looking at Web sites, before you go, to try to learn some common phrases in Spanish if you don't speak the language.

The pool was kept clean and had routine entertainment and game options as well as offering lots of relaxation. The beach is absolutely wonderful!!! In July, when we visited both times, we never had issues in finding a beach bed or chair. There is a vendor by the pool, but once you let him give his speech and tell him politely that you will think about it but aren't currently interested, he will leave you alone (talk to him early so he won't pester you later).

Helpful hints:
-drink lots of bottled water, especially while in the sun
-don't go crazy with coconut drinks - ease into them slowly.. ;)
-be friendly with the staff and leave tips, not just money (which is great for servers and bartenders), but toiletries and school supplies are also greatly appreciated with the maids
-know when the rainy season is!! We went both times in July - the beginning of the rainy season, but we didn't encounter a lot of rain. But it's important to be aware. Most rain comes at night, too.

Hope you've found this review helpful! We highly recommend this resort to all of our family and friends, and look forward to visiting again someday. :)

Room Tip: Request building 4 or 5 - best views and close to the beach.
  • Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple
11  Thank Jessica B
Reviewed September 26, 2011

This is my second all inclusive in two months. First - I will commend the hotel on the front desk personal. Jeffrey was pleasant and helpful . The rooms are typical but beds are old and it has a smell that linger. The pillows were absurd. No cushion. There are small bugs but this is the tropics. Now for 90.00 a night - it is a fair value but be warned. The spa is expensive and the gift shop.sells suntan.oil for 42.00
Bring all essentials. Cabs are reasonable but venture out with a local. I.recommend Sofian at the adventure sports section. He is great and will show you the safe areas and provides excellent water sport. For what you, it isn't bad, especially if you don't compare it to the service at higher end resorts outside DR.

• Stayed: September 2011
3  Thank Yazen
Reviewed September 26, 2011

We travelled here in Oct 2009. We were supposed to stay at the Caribe Club Princess but they closed for a refurb the week before we travelled. Not totally sure who cocked that up (the agent or the hotels) but we were transfered to the Bavaro which we didn't like and then had the choice of this hotel. I was just flicking through the reviews on here and felt i needed to leave one as it seems to get some unfair reviews.
I think the thing to remember looking through people's reviews is that we're all from different cultures and expect different things. You always get what you pay for. This is probably a medium priced place so that's what you're going to get.

I think this hotel is reasonably priced for what you get. The AI is great. It's available 24/7 which isn't the case in some places you go. LOVED the tex mex; great steak available every evening if you want it. Buffet was good and varied but we preferred the other restaurants for table service. We rarely had a problem getting a table but just book in advance then it will never be an issue.
Drinks were fine - but i'm not bothered about brands. Champagne is included in AI which is nice.
We only took advantage of the late night snacks on our last night but it was great. No one else was there but they accomodated us - set up a huge table (as we'd met a few people and were having a farewell night out). Cooked us fresh burgers etc (drinking snacks!!) and made us a few cocktails.
Only negative was in the buffet it can take a while to get your drinks and staff speak little english (just in the buffet)

Pool/Grounds
Beautiful, clean. That's about it. Beach right there which is amazing. Entertainment there if you want it.

Rooms
Aircon worked great for us. Rooms were kept clean. Probably could do with a little update but who spends their holiday in a room? We ended up with a room the joins to the room next door so you could hear a lot of things you really didn't want to! But we didn't complain or asked to be moved so guess that's our fault.

Entertainment
Daytime was ok and fun, evening was pretty mundane but I don't really bother with that. You can get the shuttle to neighbouring hotels (they're all part of the same company), and to the casino which varied it a bit.

All in all a great holiday - the best bit - no kids!!!

Would definitely go again but we now have a baby!!

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled as a couple
5  Thank LindsEth
Reviewed September 24, 2011

First off let me start by saying I'm a trip advisor addict and i only based my stay here on the popularity ratings, reviews and forum comments

Now we stayed here September 9th to 17th for 2 of our birthdays so most of you reading this review will know who I am and we are right away.

Location,
15minute max drive from the airport 25minutes with stopping to drop off ppl for the other resorts so it was a good short bus ride. Location 5 minute scooter or half hour walk to plaza bavaro. Situated Beside Ocean Sand Blue,Vik arena, Cayenna Beach Club, PuntaCanaPrincess, Tropical Princess, Caribe Princess, Punta cana Paridisus, Bavaro Princess, Occidental grand punta cana, Grand Palladium. This was the beach front location if standing on the beach from our left walking to the right.

Staff,
Check is was super fast and friendly. Front desk was not very helpful but got the job done. We were a party of 3 and needed more space so assumed we could upgrade to an adjoined room or pay extra for separate rooms, declined as he said it was a small resort and it was sold out. HA, definitely not the case but whatever. Bell hop wheeled our bags to our rooms promptly. Also arrived quickly to life our bags up 2 flights of stairs into our second room. All Bartenders served us drinks as fast if not faster than service we'd receive at any bar/club/pub in Canada so that was good. Food staff in buffet were not too attentive but seeing that I don't need someone to hold my hand to get myself fed. A la carte staff was more personable and attentive seeing that they only serviced 1/5 of the staff it wasn't too shocking based on that criteria

Rooms,
As mentioned before rooms were dated. Only thing nice in the room was the flat screen tv. Furniture and bedding wasn't dingy nor was it unpleasant. There just wasn't anything special. But since I was only there to sleep it didn't matter much and thus was acceptable. A/C worked well in building 1. We went in hurricane season and got hot with 3 days of good rain but we booked 8 days so that was fine. Issue was ground floor room building 1 flooded on the 1st day still not sure where the point of entry was but it was all over our floor. We then spoke to the front desk, didn't complain just made a request and before we walked away he gave us room cards to building 2 top level. This was impressive, raised ceilings, air con, better view of the tropical princess resorts as our room faced the other resort and not the beach again I didn't care as I planned on spending only sleep time in my room! Also the room had an unlocked adjoined room which not sure if they did this on purpose because we never received the keys to the adjoined room just stayed in there I guess they would have charged for both but didn't pay anything extra for it which made up for us having to move after being flooded out.

Only went to 2 a la carte's on the premises. Did the tex mex twice, had the steak first time and it was ok and had the fajitas on a sizzling skillet the second time both were good. Went to Italian once, it was ok but they tried to add extras to simple dishes which made them not taste quite right. Buffet was ok but small, preferred the buffet at the Caribe Princess much more selection and always fresh food. Night time beach bar food was great, fried chicken and french fries absorbed the liquor quite nicely.

If you are single and you try to bring someone back to the hotel being it day time or evening you will have no luck getting past security this place is like a vault so single ppl don't waste your time unless you enjoy channel 96, a box of Kleenex and some of the complimentary lotion.

You stay at PCP and you have access to Caribe Princess, Tropical Princess and Bavaro Princess. Never had a problem with fresh towels as maids came daily and switched bathroom towels and asked if u needed beach towels. Umbreallas 1 per room if it rained we asked and were provided with umbrealls per individual. Never went in the pool and why would I when I could do that at home. spent most of my days in the Ocean on the beach. Lovely atmosphere but still unsure how this resort got such high raitings could it be that it was adults only and mostly couples looking for peace and quiet? Secrets CapCana is only rated 5 resorts higher and its like comparing a fast fry steak to New York Sirloin. Theres no comparison. Its a nice atmosphere but I wouldn't stay here again until I maybe turned 50 was married and had been to every other resort in PC

Room Tip: Make sure you stay on the top floor, the raised ceilings are a gem, eg,building 1 would read 1(2)34...
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled with friends