“Will not be going back. . .”

Caribe Club Princess Beach Resort & Spa
Ranked #55 of 111 Hotels in Punta Cana
GreenLeadersGold level
Woodstock, Canada
“Will not be going back. . .”
Reviewed February 22, 2014

My husband and I stayed at this resort for the first time this past week and bought the VIP package. My advise is NOT to buy the VIP package as it really makes a very small difference in your stay. It came with 20 min massages and dinner to one of the restaurants that you would usually have to pay for (we could not use this free dinner so it was useless). Massages were the best part of our week. This is our second time in the Dominican and we loved our first trip to Porta Plata but heard the beaches in Punta Cana were nicer. The beach here is absolutely beautiful and we were always able to find a chair. The waves are pretty strong, I ended up in a dominican hospital for two days of this trip because of an accident caused by a strong wave. The rooms are awful - I couldn't even be comfortable putting my things down as the beds were not made properly (Sheets not even tucked in and showing the stained, very old mattresses beneath). very outdated and not clean rooms. Also the shower shuts off if another room is using water - it would take forever to shower. Usually we don't care too much about our room, but it did rain for most of the week and we could not feel comfortable spending an afternoon in out own room.

My biggest complaint about this resort is the service. Alot of the staff seemed quite rude and we spent multiple mornings spending half an hour in a line up just to book our restaurant for the evening. One day they made my husband wait three times in line - he spent most of the morning just to book our VIP dinner and the restaurant we wanted was not open that night, so we couldn't use it anyway. When we called the front desk to ask how to book the restaurants, they told us to walk to the restaurant and knock on the door, or to call another number. After wandering around the resort and knocking on restaurant doors and calling extensions that didn't get answered we finally figured out that we had to go wait in a line up at a desk to book the restaurants but the desk was now closed. I would suggest sticking to the average buffet that they have.

****Biggest Disappointment - Entertainment
Each evening there was some kind of entertainment such as dancing and getting guests involved. My husband and I do not have kids, but this is a family resort (not adults only). We have been to a few adult only resorts and found the entertainment tasteful. The entertainment at this "family" resort is NOT for children. Lots of sexual humping on stage and inappropriate behaviour. They even had a competition by the pool mid afternoon one day for the sexiest female, where male judges rate what girl dances/looks sexier in their bikini. The contestant that won, flashed the whole crowd by taking off her bikini top, and proceeded to moon the judges followed by the entertainment staff pouring four cups of alcohol all down her body. We are not even parents, and I found this very distasteful.

Overall, we will NOT ever be going back to this resort. I can't even believe it has four stars. Very, Very disappointed.

Room Tip: There are no good rooms. We had a beautiful view from our VIP room, but the room itself was terrible...
5 Thank Katherine B

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (612)
  • Czech first
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
Lake Placid, New York
Reviewed February 20, 2014

I had the pleasure of staying at the Caribe Princess for 10 days starting on New Years Eve. I want to preface my comments by saying that I live in Lake Placid, NY a world class destination resort and two time Winter Olympics host. My family and friends experience was simply amazing. The property is absolutely beautiful and meticulously maintained. The three pools can accommodate different lifestyles and the beach and ocean are great, The food at the buffet and around the resort is very good, plentiful, and meets a wide array of tastes.
Most importantly the customer service is highly professional and as good as I have ever encountered. The willingness of the staff to help and their easy going demeanor makes the entire experience world class. A sincere thanks to Jeffery and Winston in the main lobby, Ricardo and Juan at Royal Holiday, all the great bartenders, the restaurant staff, and the entire resort staff. Cannot wait to return! Thanks again-Larry

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
7 Thank Adirondacks2014
Management-BavaroP, Community Manager at Caribe Club Princess Beach Resort & Spa, responded to this review, March 1, 2014
Dear Adirondacks2014,

Thank you very much for staying at Caribe Club Princess and for publishing your kind review. We very much appreciate your compliments and are happy to forward them to our team specially Jeffery and Winston.

It would be a great pleasure to be your host again.

Warm regards from Punta Cana,

Patricia Aguirre,
New York City, New York
Reviewed February 18, 2014

I've read the negative reviews and I'm baffled. This is a great vacation spot! The rooms could be better but they're not horrible. The service was excellent, they were very attentive but not to the point of harassment. I just got back and already missing it. My girlfriend is delighted as well. Noemi, Deibi, Olga, Francisco, Ignacio, Kennedy made our stay a delightful one. We we there for Valentines Day and my birthday weekend and they went out of their way to make it a special birthday.

4 Thank IvY215
Dear IvY215,

Thank you so much for your review and we are thrilled to hear you enjoyed your stay!!! It is also nice to hear that you were pleased with the service provided with a special mention to Noemi, Deibi, Olga, Francisco, Ignacio, Kennedy and please be assured that your kind words will be shared with them and the team accordingly.

Thank you once again for posting your review and we look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Warm regards,

Ontario
Reviewed February 18, 2014 via mobile

We went VIP which included a 20 min massage (best I've ever had). The resort staff were very helpful most spoke english or french and there was always someone available if you needed something. The resort grounds are very well kept and picturesque. The main lobby is approx 8 min walk from the lodging area but they offer a shuttle for those who don't like the walk. The rooms are very clean n well kept however they are older and not modern but very large and comfortable. I didnt use the pool but it looked clean, you did have to wake up around 7am to reserve a cabana on the beach. There were always chairs available. The food was average, the buffet was the best as it had the best variety. The wait service and bartenders at the beach bar were great. All staff regardless of their job were always happy, smiling and very friendly. The entertainment team was ok, not too pushy and very friendly. The shows at night were well done. This was my third time in Punta Cana (all different resorts) I would return here, we were 14 people and everyone had a fantastic time.

Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
6 Thank DJFrenchVanilla
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed February 16, 2014

This was my first time in the Dominican Republic and i absolutely loved it. I read a lot of reviews on here before booking my trip and I do NOT understand the negative comments from some people. My girlfriend and I spent 1500 for VIP at Caribe Club and the service was fantastic for what you're paying. First of all, the resort itself is very clean and well kept. Not overly big but spacious enough you don't see the same people everywhere you go. Our room was a decent size (Queen size bed with another massive pullout couch) and had a smaller television but lots of channels (Spanish and English). The lobby was nice and comfortable with lots of seating and free WIFI, although somedays you will find it very slow depending on how many people are using it. The food was great! Buffet had a different selection of foods every night. Typical foods you would find are pizza, different rices, soups, salads, seafood along with many meats (chicken, beef, pork) sandwiches, pastas etc. Did not get an upset stomach once from the food. We also went to three a la carte restaurants (Italian, Mexican and Brazilian) and the service was great. Wine was always refilled and the servers were friendly. There are also bars everywhere! One in the main lobby, swim up bar, in the buffet restaurant and you will find two on the beach on opposite sides. There was always food in the beach bars (hot-dogs, hamburgers, fries and chicken wings mostly) look for Lunar or Antonio… These two guys were so helpful and their service is next to none. Made sure we always got our VIP services (different selections of beer and liquor) and were very knowledgable when we had questions. The beach at Caribe Club was probably the biggest out of all the resorts around us.. lots of room! Never felt crowded or had a problem finding beach chairs. Be cautious of the vendors on the beach, they will try and sell you anything, just be firm and tell them "No thank you". Beach was honestly picture perfect! The only problem one might face while at this paticular resort was finding english speaking people to interact with. There were large numbers of Russian and French tourists, so I'm guessing this is a top resort for Europeans (or maybe we just picked a bad week). I met probably 5 people from Canada in my week there, but this was merely a problem as I was with my girlfriend anyways. So heads up if you're traveling alone! Other then that, my stay was great. One last thing i would recommend is doing a few exursions if you have the extra cash, the Dune Buggy experience through the backcountry of Punta Cana was amazing. Also try the speed boating to the remote island for seafood and swimming. All in all, going to this resort was money well spent and definitely met my expectations!

Room Tip: VIP rooms are nice and spacious, sleeping area along with a small staircase leading to the televisio...
4 Thank Steve P
Dear Steve P,

On behalf of the entire team here at Caribe Club Princess, I would like to thank you for your very kind review and for choosing Caribe Club Princess Beach Resort & Spa. It gives us great pleasure to read such a wonderful feedback and to learn that you had a nice stay with us.

Warm regards,

Toronto, Canada
Reviewed February 13, 2014

My boyfriend and I stayed at the Caribe Feb 2-9th and had a great time.

Food - Buffet was good, always had lots to chose from at breakfast, lunch and dinner (and we're both picky eaters). A la cartes were decent, good food but slower service, although Brazilian was awesome and very filling; beach bars have hot dogs, burgers, chicken, fries

Beach - beautiful long stretch to walk along, white soft sand, waves were fun to play in; we had no problems finding chairs

Room - VIP room was big with a nice view, always clean although the washroom could use some updating - small leak under the sink, rusty mirror, but we just ignored it; A/C worked fine

Resort - good size, everything is easily accessible - lobby/theatre was a 5 minute walk from the rooms/restaurants but it was a very nice trail (no mosquitos when we went), you could always catch the shuttle that's constantly running if you didn't feel like walking; Wi fi was very slow, but we got used to not having it after a day or two

Entertainment - pretty good, best shows were the ones with the cultural themes; didn't get to the disco or casino, but they are available a few min away on the shuttle

Service - we got the VIP so we could get all the international drinks - MGD, absolut, baileys; Lunar and Antonio at the beach bars were excellent, they let us know we could get whatever we wanted and were always friendly; VIP check in took about 2 minutes and we received everything that was expected - towels in the room, bottle of rum, all of the a la cartes, spa certificates, etc

Overall we really enjoyed this resort. The only thing to mention is that we were probably 1 of 3 couples that were Canadian/spoke english, the rest of the guests were French or Russian. So if you're planning to go meet lots of people, be aware of that. Also, when the vendors come onto the resort (I believe weekends) they don't take 'no thank you' for an answer, and their stuff is way overpriced. Barter or run away haha.

I would recommend this resort for people looking for a relaxing vacation (rather than a big party) and people that want good value for their money.

6 Thank Brittney S
Toronto
Reviewed January 29, 2014

Just came back from Caribe yesterday and it was fantastic. I have read many reviews on here about this hotel and some pretty nasty ones as well. I have no idea what these people expect when you are spending anywhere from 1000 to 1500 per week. I have stayed and went to many different places and to hear these people complain is beyond me. They should go and stay at the resorts that they are paying 2500 to 3000 a week then since they are so "high class".

I went with my boyfriend and we had an awesome time. The food was fantastic for what we paid for and the service was amazing. The hotel staff were friendly and very accommodating. I am sure the people here who say that the maids and staff ignored them or were rude to them was because of their own manners. Stay in your own country and complain. Do not be a visitor in a country like the DR and treat people poorly because you will deserve what you get and by the sounds of it ...nothing, and clearly, I do not blame them.

Everyone I met down there had a great time and no complaints. I would recommend this hotel to anyone who likes to travel on a budget, and those that expect fine dining go spend your money on a 3000 plus a week hotel.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
17 Thank Bonnie L
Management-BavaroP, Community Manager at Caribe Club Princess Beach Resort & Spa, responded to this review, February 3, 2014
Dear CubaGurl70,

Thank you so much for your kind feedback! We highly appreciate that you took your precious time to publish your comments and we are delighted that you and your boyfriend enjoyed your stay at our hotel.

Your compliments about the food and the service provided by our staff are a great reward for our efforts and have already been shared with our team.

It would be a great pleasure for us to welcome you again.

Best regards,

Grand Bahia Principe La Romana
Emotions by Hodelpa
Emotions by Hodelpa
#1 of 12 in Juan Dolio

Been to Caribe Club Princess Beach Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!