“The princess lost it's Crown”

Caribe Club Princess Beach Resort & Spa
Ranked #54 of 112 Hotels in Punta Cana
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed May 31, 2013

I have been going south for many years but settle into the Dominican Republic for many reason. First and more important was the people. They are a Family oriented people. That is why when we decided to try the Caribe Club Princess we left with clear memory of Jose and laughing at the hotel issues that they covered with paint assuming we would not notice. He called himself Obama and had a smile that made you smile. You would arrive and most of the time were told that you would have to wait for 2 or 3 hours for your room. After having a drink after a drink at the bar in the main reception and meeting Obama he made you forget about the whole experience you had getting there We liked it so much we bought a condo there. He was a great representative for the hotel who's building where getting old and the service slowly going downhill. Many of the staff members in the restaurant did not quite know how to do there job and some did not care. Unfortunately the one staff member who made going there worth the drop in hotel quality has left. The hotel with one most singular most memorable part of the caribe is gone. Lucky i have become a close friend. The Caribe Club is now off our list of destinations to go. Best of luck in his future.

Room Tip: Now days it is pretty easy to get a room because the hotel quallity has dropped and less and less pe...
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank michel c
There are newer reviews for Caribe Club Princess Beach Resort & Spa

Reviewed May 30, 2013

First we arrived and had to wait 1 hour before our room would be ready.
The food was not superb but you can book for a few night at theirs thematic restaurants ( avoid the Mexicans the food we got was not warm and smelly.) the Brezilian is very fine.
The beach is very nice but with tons of peoples.
The A/C need to be reworked in a few rooms.
The staffs and animators are one of the best you can meet!

Room Tip: Try to take a room upstair to avoid big insect and lizard in your room...
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed May 28, 2013

my partner and I stayed here last year and loved it.The welcome from the Thomson rep at the airport was the start of a great holiday,big smile as if we'd known him years :)
The reception staff at the hotel were very helpful and we checked in quickly.the rooms were lovely,clean.the hotel is spotless,they are always cleaning.the grounds are beautiful.
food choice was great,plenty for all.every night was a different theme and the waiters and waitresses were brill.always trying to get you to try mama Juana (a must) its great.my partner doesn't drink alcohol much but he loved it!we tried the Brazilian a le carte restaurant and it was wonderful.
the beach was gorgeous!yes you do get a few locals trying to sell you things but a polite no and they were gone.the staff at the beach bar were fantastic!
once a week the hotel has a market come into the hotel grounds and you can buy souvineers.handy if you don't leave the resort.we walked on the beach towards the left and came across a little flea market and yes they want to obviously make a sale but again a polite no thank you and they leave you to just look around.great place to grab a bargain.
we only done one trip and that was the swimming with sharks and sting rays trip,a must!!its great and perfectly safe.take a water proof camera!!
we went here the end of oct and don't worry about weather charts on the net..it rained every day for all of 2 minutes!we sunbathed in it as it was quite refreshing!boiling hot sun every day!!take repellent as the mosquitos do like to bite!
overall a fantastic,relaxing holiday!we would definitely return!

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank vict0ny
Management-BavaroP, Community Manager at Caribe Club Princess Beach Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded June 3, 2013

Dear Guest,

We really appreciate your comment about your stay at Caribe Club Princess. It´s a pleasure to have covered your expectations and hope that we will soon have the possibility to welcome you again.

Kind Regards,

Community Manager

Reviewed May 26, 2013

This is a nice resort, plenty going on. The only reason for the 3 Star is due to a few cosmetic issues such as the pool needed a little care and attention. People are great and very happy to help. We found tipping your poolside guys went a long way, they kind of became your best buddies after the first tip but did not expect any tips after that.

Rooms were large and air conditioned, the linen was clean and the maids were always happy to stock up the fridge in whatever fashion you preferred.

If you are reading this and are from the UK, nothing will prepare you for the waft of hot humid air that greets you on arriving. We got off the plane and could hardly breathe for a second but that passes and its not an issue just great weather even when it rains its warm.

The little Golf cart styled buggies that take you around the resort are fun and in plentiful supply but walking around is ok as it is not really a big resort. We loved going to the lobby each night for a last pint or two and the atmosphere was lively.

Food was interesting and I mean that without being critical, it was very varied and I guess that what it should be. The buffets were the best but only one downside was that on one night they set aside half of the buffet restaurant for the Russians, must have been some kind of occasion and by god there were loads of them..

All in all decent place and would go again but we are looking at resorts just around the corner to see how they compare.

Room Tip: We felt ground floor rooms were better particularly the ones near the quieter pool.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Taff G

Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing your feedback about your stay. Despite the concerns you mentioned, we are pleased that you had a good experience at Caribe Club Princess and that our staff provided an excellent service.

We look forward to your next stay with us and extend a warm welcome back when you next visit Punta Cana.

Warmest regards,
Community Manager

Reviewed May 21, 2013

This was my first trip down to the Caribbean (April 28 - May 5 2013). I went with my mom, and needless to say we will not be going back. We arrived Sunday afternoon and was not informed that our room would not be ready, so we ended up waiting in the lobby of our building for 45 minutes until the maid finished cleaning our room. Our shower head had no pressure at all, so we couldn't shower, and we had no hot water. The air conditioner did not work in our room, and we asked the front desk to check it out. We were informed that it was another country and to expect the heat in our room. They ended up coming to check the air conditioner after my mom called three times. They fixed it for the night, however, the next morning it broke completely. We informed the front desk of this the next morning and by 4 o'clock that afternoon, nothing had been done. We called again and they finally decided to give us another room. We were told our new room was ready and that someone would be by shortly to pick up our bags. An hour later we got a call from the bellman who said our room was not ready and that he was not coming to get us. Then the front desk called us back, COMPLETELY forgetting that they were switching our rooms, and asked us if our shower head had been fixed (which it hadn't) We informed them that they were moving us to another room. "Oh ya" they said they didn't recognize our voice. We explained about the bellman and they were confused as to why we had not switched rooms yet. Overall, the first day and a half we spent waiting and waiting for things to be fixed.

Finally we moved to our new VIP room. It was a very nice room, the beds were more comfortable, we had hot water and shower pressure, and to top it all off.. our air conditioner was actually working! The next morning, however, our toilet would not flush. We called around 6:30 in the morning, and they said they would send someone right away. 3 hours later, nobody had come, so I decided to go to the front desk - Which worked. Don't bother calling for help... it's better to go and see them yourself.. things get done faster that way. They fixed our toilet, and ended up giving us a free hour of internet for all our trouble (though, we had to ask.. they did not offer it).

The rest of the week was great. We ate at the Italian, Shanghai, and Mexican. All three meals were terrific! We booked the Brazilian, however, due to their severe lack of organization.. they called and cancelled it on us, which was too bad because I only heard great things. The buffet had a different theme each night, some nights were better than others but overall good food. The snack bars were great! I was disappointed that the pools closed by 7, and if you wanted a snack at midnight you were out of luck. We did not make it to the disco, as it was off the resort, however, there was a bus to take you there.. but you had to pay for drinks past midnight. Also, there was a huge lack of information on the shows at night, so we did not go to those either.

As for our rep (Sunwing - Ana)... Useless. We were told only about the things you had to pay for... nothing of what was free and came with our package. Also, we were told that you could go shopping for free at any time. We booked for Wednesday at 10 in the morning. When we got to the lobby, we were informed that the only time the bus would come to get us was at 11:30 - so again we had to wait. The bus ended up coming late, and took us to the actual retail mall, where the prices were ridiculous. We wanted authentic, native shops, and we got a shopping mall with brand names. Thankfully, one of the couples we went with got the bus driver to take us to the authentic shops and pick us up. I think they were better help then our rep.

With regards to the beach on the resort - it was beautiful. However, if you wanted a peaceful time you do not get it as there are people walking up and down the beach that are in your face trying to sell you things.

Unfortunately, the last day of our trip was the most disturbing. With all the troubles we had at the beginning of our week, we thought the worst was over. I was packing my suitcase and realized I was missing a dress. I knew that I had brought it, I wore it two nights prior, had a picture of me wearing it, and I also knew I did not leave it at the beach as I only wore it out for dinner. I informed my mom, and she checked her suitcase only to find one of her dress tops was missing. I called the front desk, frantic, and they told me to come see them. I had to fill out a report, and then security had to come to my room and go through EVERYTHING. They did not find the dress, but they made me feel like it was my fault - saying.. well maybe you only thought you brought it (when I showed them the picture of me wearing it.. they changed their attitude). Then I was told.. well maybe you left it on the beach. I said not possible as I don't wear my dresses to the beach, and I am very careful with my items. They proceeded to tell me that maybe it accidentally got sent to the laundry and that when I came to the front lobby in the morning it would be there. Can you say BULLS***T. I went to the lobby in the morning, had to explain my story to another person, who again told me that maybe I left it at home or on the beach. At this point I had had it. I was tired of getting the run-around. I knew that one of the maids (mostly likely ours) had stolen our clothes, and they would not take any responsibility for it, nor would they own up to the fact that they might have a problem with theft. An investigation had to be performed before they would let me know anything. They also told me it was strange to hear of clothes being stolen, however, I looked at reviews later on and found that there were many complaints of theft. I asked if I would be compensated and they said they didn't know, and to e-mail them when I got home - Needless to say..it has been two weeks now and nothing has been done.

So here are my conclusions. The resort is nice..If you are going to stay here, definitely stay in the VIP room. Make sure you lock as much of your valuables up in the safe as possible. As for your suitcase, I advise you lock that up too. The closer it gets to you leaving, the better the chances that something will be stolen from your suitcase, as most people don't realize something is missing until they get home. My advice would just be to lock EVERYTHING.. and do a thorough check of your things at least a day before you leave. It was an unfortunate situation, as this was my first time to the Caribbean. It ruined my experience tremendously, and I will never return to Punta Cana again. I know everyone's experience is different, and my mom and I were probably just those people that it was going to happen to. But I just want to warn everyone - because you never know, and it could happen to you. So if you plan on staying at the Caribe Club Princess - BEWARE

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
9  Thank A D
Reviewed May 20, 2013

It could be a nice place to vacation. But the owners and managers have to do a lot of work in order to make that happen. Not that long ago I spend my vacation in Punta Cana Princess, a sister hotel few hundred feet away. It’s not perfect, but overall it’s a very nice hotel and the things are under control. Even though the owners are the same, this hotel has all sorts of problems: bad room maintenance, poor air conditioning system, very so-so service. (Air conditioner feels inadequate and it took 15 phone calls and a hunt for a repairman to figure out that I have to use a fan in order to make the room feel a bit cooler.) Front desk was initially terrible (unhelpful, once forgot to do a wakeup call, but during the stay they improved.) But the major issue was the face that I and at least another 5 guests that I know got stomach problems. I am not sure exactly why. When I went to a local doctor, she said she wasn’t aware of the mass stomach problems. That was another sign of guest service that could use an improvement. (The doctor visit cost me about $330 after some bargaining and yes, it is very much for profit medical office even though I am not sure if the hotel gets a cut.) Not sure why stomach problems were so wide spread, but if the management is bad that would apply to probably to kitchen and bar management. For example, one mistake with handling water for cooking (tap water can’t be used since its undrinkable) and stomach problems are likely. I know that they try to address management problems by bring on board new capable managers such as Rukenia. But they have a long way to go. And another sister hotel nearby, Tropical Princess, I heard had rooms in condition that was even worse. So that made me feel a bit better. The hotel grounds are beautiful, nicer that at Punta Cana Princess. But there is a nice swamp with all kinds of exotic species. But I think that swamp is a reason for nasty mosquitos. That’s another problem this hotel can’t really control.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled solo
4  Thank Anton K
Reviewed May 20, 2013

My husband and I stayed here from may 10, 2013 to may 17, 2013 and is was by far the worst place we have ever stayed at.

I understand we're in a different country but on a resort I think it should be mandatory for all staff to speak English. And barely anyone did. It was completely frustrating. We had issues with our lock on our door two different times and the people that came to fix it didnt speak emglish at all... They had no idea what we were saying and we had no clue what came out of their mouth.

FOOD: Absolutely disgusting... No variety at all, it looked like the same things were served day in and day out.

The pushy people trying to sell you things to do (like activities) was very irritating. Everyday we must have been approach at least 10 times a day by the same people... No thank you means, no thank you... But no they consistently tried.

Word of advice if anyone from "Royal Holiday" approaches you (and they will be they stand right in front of the buffet) say NO... It's a time share thing and they waste your time completely... It took us am hour to explain to them that we are not interested and do not want to commit to this and then they call their manager and is will keep trying to talk and ignore what your saying. Very annoyed and a completely waste of time.

Room: The AC in our room did not work at all. We called and they said they'd send someone and they might of but it still didnt work... Which sucks because their is no where on the resort with AC to get away from the heat.

I can go on and on but I will stop here... Do not go here... Worst place we have ever ever stayed at.

This place has turned us off from Dominican all together and we will not be returning.

• Stayed: May 2013
Alsol Luxury Village
#85 of 112 in Punta Cana
Grand Bahia Principe La Romana
Luxury Bahia Principe Ambar Green Don Pablo Collection

Been to Caribe Club Princess Beach Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!