“Good 3-start hotel”

GreenLeadersGold level
New York, New York, United States
“Good 3-start hotel”
Reviewed March 6, 2013

We were at the Caribe Club Princess from 2/23/13 to 3/1/13 and we had a very good time. The hotel is definitely not a 4-star property but its a solid 3-star. We were basically doing a fly-and-flop and got exactly what were expecting for the price.

ROOM: We upgraded to the VIP package so I dont know what the standard rooms were like but ours was fine. The room and bathroom were clean but the bathroom was showing some wear. We never had the problem of not having hot water but it did take a few minutes to adjust it so that it wasnt either cold or scalding. The mattress and pillows are legitimately the worst Ive ever experienced. If you have back or neck issues either bring something to help or stay elsewhere. We are both in our mid-twenties and had discomfort from it. The fridge is restocked daily with 2 beers and 2 sodas. You only get 2 beers a day in your fridge and they will not bring more. Literally we were told it was a 2 beer per day limit. Not a big deal but was annoying.

BEACH: Was absolutely beautiful!! White soft sand and blue water. Definitely get out to the beach before 11am to claim one of the umbrella spots if desired. The earlier the better. Same for beach towels. We never had a problem getting them but others mentioned it in their reviews. We preferred the end of the beach away from the entertainment area(less kids and obnoxious activities like beach zumba). The beach bars were right off the beach and the bartenders there were very friendly. There are people walking around selling excursions and souvenirs but just say no thanks and they walk away.

ENTERTAINMENT: We had no interest in participating in any of the activities or watching the performances but other people seemed to enjoy it. We went to the casino at the sister hotel which was fun for a night but the all you can drink doesnt carry over to that property for some reason. One day we did the dune-buggy excursion. We were the first picked up so we had to ride around to other resorts for 45 minutes before getting to the destination. The first hour of the buggies was fun but got old kinda fast. The first stop was a very pretty beach but lots of vendors there. The 2nd and 3rd stops were not enjoyable. They were advertised as a farm and then exploring some caves. Both were basically tourist traps. If we had to do it again we would have spent that day laying on the beach.

FOOD: Isnt great isnt bad. The "a la carte" restaurants can totally be skipped. Not worth the time at all. Basically a buffet in courses with maybe one option. The Dominican a la carte restaurant is the worst. Skip it, take my word for it. The Chinese and Italian were edible but we pretty much just sampled the food and then went to the buffet after. Really just go to the buffet the others arent worth your time. The buffet is fine. The pasta bar at night is quite good and the omelettes were good in the morning. This resort isnt somewhere you go for fine dining.

SERVICE: Was great! Hilda at guest services was very helpful and friendly. Everyone at the restaurants and bars were as well. Tip a few dollars here and there and it goes a long way.

All-in-all we had a very good time. Our plan for this trip was to lay on a beautiful beach, drink and relax which we totally did. Would we go back to the DR or the Caribe Club Princess?
DR - maybe eventually but there are other Caribbean destinations I would go to first. Caribe Club Princee- probably not as we would most likely look for something more high end but for the price it was a great deal!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Nathan P

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (621)
  • Czech first
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
Grand Falls
Reviewed March 5, 2013

I was worried about staying at this resort after reading some of the comments. It sounded like it was going to be a hit or miss. Let's just say we could not have "hit" it any better than we did. Upon check-in, our 2 rooms had King beds on the ground floor outside the park area. When I went back to speak to the front desk to explain that we needed 2 rooms with 2 double beds, Elias and Jeffrey worked hard to accomodate us. Within a half hour, we had the best that we could have asked for. I was travelling with 2 people that had never travelled in their life and my 12 year old daughter so I needed to keep everyone as close as possible so that I could help them out. Elias kept this in mind when he made his phone call to a maid. We ended up on the second floor right in the center of everything (pool, beach and restaurants) and to top it all off, we were put in adjoining rooms! The maid unlocked the doors that separated us, so that we could travel in between the rooms. For those of you who are interested in something like this, we were in rooms 1267 and 1268.
Our room was well looked after by Lidia. She made sure that we had everything that we needed and our room was always cleaned in a timely fashion. We did leave her items and/or $ on the bed with her sign beside it, so that she knew it was for her to take.
The buffet always had something for everyone to eat. I noticed that there was always a pizza spot or pasta spot at supper if you did not care for the "theme" they were serving that night for supper. We ate at the buffet for breakfast, the snackbar (on the beach) for lunch, and the buffet or an a la carte for supper. The only 2 a la carte's that we tried were the Mexican and the Italian. Of the 2, I think everyone preferred the Mexican more.
The beach and pool area was always great. I always went out as early as I could (7:15-8am) to save 4 chairs only because some of my travellers needed to be in the shade. Both the beach and pool area had the animation team doing something. Just like any other beach, small children need to be closely supervised. The pool area has a children's pool---this meaning that as you walk out into the pool it gradually gets deeper. This same pool also has swim up bar for the supervising adults! There is plenty of shade and sun to be found.
The animation team works very hard. Some of the people that stood out were Spaghetti (yes this is his name and yes he is as skinny as the pasta itself), Diyango, Elizabeth...I wish I could remember them all as they all did a wonderful job. (These were the people entertaining you during the day around the pool and beach). At night at the shows, the team is much bigger. They must work hard during the day to put together all of this entertainment.
The lobby is about a 5 minute walk from the rooms. It is a nice form of exercise and the path is well lit at night. If you do not want to walk, there are a few trolly's that run constantly that you can catch. The only time that I noticed it was really busy was at night after the show. Everyone was looking for a quick trip back to their room, so not too many people were walking and the trolly filled up fast.
The night of the beach party (this was Sunday for us), they played a few games and there were a few fireworks to enjoy. Most people were wearing white this particular night. So if you want to fit in with the animation team and most of the rest, then white is the color to wear.
If you plan to go on an excursion while you are there, I would recommend the Outback Safari Adventure. If you speak English, then ask for Kenny when you are booking. (I booked with our Sunwing Representative).
As far as the hot water in the room goes, we never had an issue with it. Infact, a few times I remember thinking the water was a little too hot and I love hot showers. The water pressure was always great as well. We did not have a tub in our rooms---showers only.
The fridge is always stocked with water (4), coke (2) and sprite (2). I did hear people mention that they had the maid take out their coke and sprite and replace it with presidente (beer). Make sure you use the water to brush your teeth with. There is a sign clearly stating not to use the tap water. I know one person from another group that used the tap water and he had the runs for a day.
No one was sick in our group. However, we all used common sense when getting our food and drinks. Whether you are at home or out of the country, too much pineapple or coconut will cause your bowels to work overtime. The food was all good.
If you are looking for a little secret hiding spot, then you must try out the Creperie. They have salty and sugary crepes. You can also get milkshakes, banana splits, and ice cream here. It only opens at 1:30pm though.

Room Tip: Room 1267 and 1268 are in the middle of everything and you do not have far to walk. They also join...
5 Thank LynnP6
Ottawa
Reviewed March 4, 2013

We were dumped here at 5:30 PM along with a busload of people for the night when our Sunwing flight was cancelled. The airport back home was open and other airlines flew out but not Sunwing. At Club Caribe reception our passports were photocopied and we were given grey wristbands on which was written “Tropical Princess”. Who knows? Anyway, we ended up in ground floor room 3201 near a swimming pool and close to the dinner buffet building. It was actually two rooms with three beds, two bathrooms and dim lighting. A flashlight would have been useful. A notice stuck to the mirror above the bathroom sinks said “water not potable” but there was bottled water on the dresser with which to brush our teeth. The grounds are not well maintained and, in spite of buildings being painted bright colors of orange, blue and yellow, the whole place has a depressing, run-down feeling about it. We walked to the beach which is much narrower than at the Bavaro Princess and had a couple of watery mixed drinks at the bar. The water sports huts were closed and locked. Buffet dinner was surprising. There was a lot of choice including a BBQ where you could have a small steak grilled to order while you waited. Desserts were not appealing and seemed to be all made from the same cake mixture then topped with assorted colored creams. We passed. Had more red table wine. Twice during dinner, staff members dressed in colorful costumes sang and danced in the center of the room for our entertainment. Pass the wine, please. That night in our room I got a large red insect (spider?) bite on my elbow and four smaller bites (sand flies/mosquitos?) on my hands and forehead. They were not bedbugs because I had no bites on my back and legs just the areas of exposed skin outside the covers. This entire area is a reclaimed mangrove swamp so maybe the DDT spraying was overdue. Anyway, I was glad to leave at 3:00 AM in the pre-dawn darkness and climb onto the airport bus for our 6:00 AM flight which did not arrive until 7:00 AM. I would never book the Club Caribe Princess and it seems to be at the low end of the Princess chain of hotels. There are other Punta Cana choices; take them.

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from the pool.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank xygb7dklt
Thunder Bay, Ontario, Canada
Reviewed March 3, 2013

This was our second trip to the DR and also the second time at the Caribe Club Princess. We checked in without a hitch. Luis was a great help, quick and had both of our groups of four checked in fast. Our room was clean, and the housekeeping staff was wonderful. We hit the buffet for dinner and it was excellent. The staff there is really friendly, getting your drinks and making sure you are taken care of. Edward Jimene and Felix the omlette chef are two guys that really take care of you there. Down at the beach bar ( La Matica, which had been completly updated since our last visit ) Josue, Anerury, and Glennys are top notch. During our stay we really connected with them. We met Josue on our first trip and it was good to see him again. The beach is probably the best stretch of beach in the Carribean, the water was refreshing and the beach itself was kept clean ( more so this time than last ). The pool is also very clean and the Animation crew was excellent. "Spagetti" ( that's his name ) was really good with all of our kids. They were always getting them/us involved in different activities ( and if you just wanted to veg out, there was no pressure ). The other pluses with this resort are the "crepery", the al a cartes are all acceptable and the grounds are kept up very well. This is not a five star super resort by any means, but we had two great trips without any major complaint. We are not hard to please and the people at this resort are what makes it such a great place to stay. We will be back, without a doubt. Counting down the days again!! I just wish I could remember more names to give them their proper dues!

Room Tip: All rooms are less than a one minute walk to the beach.
7 Thank Murray S
Bournemouth
Reviewed March 3, 2013

To be honest, I was quite worried about going to this hotel after reading all the negative comments and I wish I had never paid any attention to them.

We came back last week and I can honestly say we have nothing to really complain about. Yes, sometimes some of food was cold, yes we were approached by guys trying to sell us time-share and yes, some of staff didn't offer the best service. But it didn't in any way ruin our holiday!!!

We had upgraded to a suite which was on the 1st floor of the Corallilo building overlooking the main pool. Beautiful room, no mould or broken items, comfy beds, good water pressure and hot water!!!! Yes sometimes during the day there was no hot water, but if you pick your time in the evening, between 5.30-7pm, there is plenty of hot water. During our 2 week stay we never had a problem. Our maid (Mi kidy) was fab, clean sheets, thoroughly clean room & plenty of drinks stocked up in the fridge everyday.

Pools and the beach are lovely, always plenty of sunbeds and we never had a problem getting towels. The main pool is a bit more lively than the others, so if you want peace and quiet, I'd suggest one of the other two.

There's plenty of variety in the buffet restaurant for breakfast, lunch & dinner. Every evening is themed and we always found something different to eat. The staff who served us throughout the 2 weeks were lovely- Francisca, Maximo & Paulino in particular!
The a la carte restaurants were good, Mexican & Italian very nice. Also the lunchtime snack bars were always stocked with food that was hot.
The staff at the pool bar (Obama & Jorge) and the beach bar were lovely, always chatty and ready to refill your glass.

The animation team always put 100% effort in and bearing in mind they work 15 hour days and normally 10 in a row, I'd say that's pretty good going! If you don't want to join in, just say no and they won't bother you! Some of the evening shows were interesting but at least they're trying to keep everyone entertained.

We took a trip to Saona Island which was complete paradise!! We would strongly recommend a trip there!!!

Overall we had a fantastic time and would definitely go back! I don't think it's fair that people spend their hard earned money on a holiday and the reviews here make them worry about going!

8 Thank LoveTheSun501
Stratham, New Hampshire
Reviewed February 24, 2013

We were staying at Iberostar Dominicana and when we left our flight home got cancelled due to snow back home. We couldn't get a flight home for 5 days and the only resort we could get into was this one. It was adequate and a nice facility covering a large area. You definitely get what you pay for. It was noisy at night. Place was at bit un down, not enough beach towels, many broken beach towels, grounds not very well maintained, and you were constantly approach by sales people when when went to the buffet trying to talk you into listening to a sales pitch. For us it was a place to stay while we waited for a flight home. not a resort I would knowingly choose to stay at.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank rtnason
Vaughan, Canada
Reviewed February 24, 2013

Just returned from Punta Cana Feb 21 2013. My wife and I have been to the DR 4 times ,THIS WAS THE WORST HOTEL WE STAYED AT. We were a group of 24 there for a family reunion and we all had issues with the hotel . LUCKY US we had a good room (#1231) compared to some of the other rooms that had no shower door, no toilet paper holder, no hot water, no A/C, old worn out bathroom towels, a dripping pipe over head in the washroom and a bad smell of mold. Our parents had a room on the ground floor and some one had tried to get in through the patio door, giving some credit the lock was quickly replaced.

THE FOOD, what can we say , no bacon???? what hotel has no bacon, we were told that they only had bacon ever other day and there was always a shortage of food and not a big selection. It seemed that the hotel could not keep up with the guests. There was a restaurant called La Cava that had a $35.00 per person surcharge , we had made reservation for 16 of us one night. When we arrived they had only set up our table for 11 people and it only went down hill from there. Even though the servers took down the food orders, that never ment that you would get the correct meal. Save yourself the $35.00/person and eat at the other included restaurants (big waste of money). The best service we had was at the Mexican restaurant. If you ordered a drink at the start of your meal and asked for it a few more times, you may have gotten it by the end of your meal if you were lucky.

Beach towels were very hard to come by, if you didn't get there first thing in the morning, you would be waiting for a very long time and this scenario played out every day. We have been to many hotels that allow you to exchange your towels at the end of the day for the next morning. To be on the safe side we kept our towels from the day before. The chairs on the beach must have been the hand me downs of all the other local hotels . They were old and comeing apart.

We were told by one of the front desk managers that the hotel was only 7-8 years old, by the looks of it we would say at least 15-20 years old. It NEEDS alot of TLC. We have never been so disappointed with a hotel like we were with the Caribe Club Princess. We expected more from the Princess Hotel chain. This was our first time staying at a Princess hotel and the last.

TO UPPER/HEAD OFFICE MANAGMENT it is the small things that count and it is what people remember about their vacation, so do something about these issues instead of making promises to your guests that you can't keep.

3 Thank 938JohnF938
Alsol Luxury Village
#87 of 112 in Punta Cana
Luxury Bahia Principe Ambar Green Don Pablo Collection
Grand Bahia Principe La Romana

Been to Caribe Club Princess Beach Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!