“Second visit to this resort”

Caribe Club Princess Beach Resort & Spa
Ranked #55 of 111 Hotels in Punta Cana
GreenLeadersGold level
Toronto, Canada
“Second visit to this resort”
Reviewed May 25, 2012

After a lot of searching, we decided to make a return visit to the Caribe Club, this time with our 20 month old baby in tow.

Much as our first visit, we found the staff to be extremely friendly and helpful. Our room was cleaned every morning and a second trip was made early evening to see if we needed fresh towels and water. In fact, we were provided with more water than we could drink.

We only ate at the buffet and I think the food quality has improved since our last visit. Yes, it's not North American 4 star quality, but it's certainly good enough for an all inclusive.

The beach was amazing, as expected.

I would go back to this resort.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank zwer

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (612)
  • Czech first
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
Reviewed May 21, 2012

I went with a group of girls for a bachelorette party and booked the VIP package. Definitely was not the VIP package I expected having been to DR before. The room smelled like mildew, the hot water didn't work, the tv wouldn't turn on and the phone didnt work unless you pulled on the cord. We did get moved a different room, which was better, but far from VIP.

The staff was friendly and entertaining. We had fun with them.

The ala carte restaurants were actually very good. I was surprised because everyone knows you don't do all inclusives for the food. We also got the upgraded alcohol since we were VIP - no complaints with that. The buffet is just a buffet as we expected.

Overall the resort is older and it defintiely shows. The pool needs some work, the rooms need some work and the lobby is a little far from all of the rooms. Need to take a trolley back and forth with your luggage.

The club at night was fun from 11pm until midnight - then you have to pay for drinks. I think if the resort is going to have a club on location guests should not be charged for drinks. Got a little too crowded since locals are allowed to come in.

Overall the beach is beautiful, but i expected more. I would go back to DR - I just wouldn't stay here again.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
3 Thank Sara D
California
Reviewed May 20, 2012

My husband and I stayed at the Caribe Club Princess from 5/8-5/16. The standard rooms were in nice enough condition, but showing their age. Small issues like shower draining slow, the small sheet issue and no wash cloths.Maid service and service at all restaurants and bars was excellent throughout entire trip.
The food at buffet and ala cartes is just average, but you can always find something worth eating.
The good being said, we will never return to this resort as on Sat. around 11:00am to Sun. 3:00pm basically the entire weekend of our stay the resort opened to the locals by the bus loads. The pools were over-run by children and adults.The kids climbing all over the swim up bar and never leaving the pool for a break, enough said. The poor employees were worked tirelessly trying to keep up with the influx of people, but could not.
In summation it's a shame that a Princess resort would let this happen. We talked to several other guests who also said they wouldn't return , solely because of this issue.
Sorry Princess but this is an accurate and honest review.We have been to the Grand Sunset Princess in Mexico twice and have always found it outstanding , and have recommended it to numerous friends who have all had the same great experiences.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
4 Thank SANDYBEECHCalifornia
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed May 19, 2012

My partner and I, along with 23 others stayed here for a close family friends wedding. After reviewing many different resorts, this is the one the bride had chosen. I am sure that if she had have read a review like this one, she may have chosen differently. All of us from our group wrote separate complaint letters which were sent to the travel agent and she submitted on behalf of us. These letters were sent at the beginning of February and we still have not heard anything and it is the middle of May. It is unacceptable that a resort like this can continue to rent these suites out and take our money in this state! They said it would take up to 8 weeks for an answer back and we have still heard nothing.

At the bottom of this review I will post the URL's for my YouTube video's that i uploaded as proof of having no water or hot water.

Here is a copy of the letter that we wrote:

"To Whom This May Concern,

We are writing this letter to make sure that there is awareness brought to the amenity and customer service issues that there are at The Club Caribe Princess Resort in Punta Cana.

My partner and I committed to a group vacation that was planned by a close family friend for her daughters wedding through the recommendation of Julie from Julie's Travel in Delhi, Ontario. From my understanding, Julie has stayed at this resort in the past.

Upon arrival to the resort we were greeted by a very friendly front desk staff. Everyone was very helpful and made us feel welcome. We were taken to the VIP Building with our luggage arriving separately with hotel staff. I do feel that this is a very strange process as most people do not feel comfortable leaving their personal belongings unattended with strangers. We wanted to take our own luggage but we were not given the option, which is something i strongly disagree with.

We entered our "Royal Suite" which we upgraded to. The room was nice, but not at all what the pictures on the website showed. The room was very dimly lit and out of date. Our real issue with this room was that we had NO hot water or at sometimes, water pressure at all. The washroom and the jacuzzi tub on the second floor did not have hot water at all, OR water pressure, for the entire week. What is the point of paying extra for a room that has a second washroom and jacuzzi tub if you cannot use them? We had to shower in my mother's room, when she had hot water for us.

I addressed our concerns with Francisco at the front desk and he said that someone would look into it. We never heard again from anyone. The next day we had to meet for our mandatory meeting with our Sunwing representative, Richard, for our meeting to find out about our departing details. This meeting was nothing more then a sales presentation for day excursions. At the end of the meeting, some of us waited to express our concerns to Richard. He listened to what we had to say but was not at all empathetic to our concerns. I found that everyone we addressed the water issue with, as well as Richard, acted surprised when we brought up the water temperature and pressure issue. I'm sure this issue did not just arise the day we arrived and last throughout the time we were there. Richard said to let him look into the issue and he asked if we wanted a different room. I informed him that we just would like hot water. From my understanding, there are only 6 Royal Suites in the resort and that it was fully booked so how would you be able to offer another room? We again addressed the water issue with Miguel at the front desk. He too acted surprised and picked up the phone to call someone regarding the issue. What really made us feel uneasy and distrusting was the instant answer from whomever he was "calling". We had the feeling that it was a pretend call and that it was just an act.

To expand on the experience that we had with Richard. I feel that a representative for a vacation company, working for a specific resort, should be more empathetic to their customers concerns and issues. Richard was more concerned with defending himself and the resort rather then sorting out our issue. I find this to be very poor customer service and it leaved a bad impression with customers. Even the day that we returned the internet modem we discussed our stay with him and that the issue was never resolved. Again, this turned into a debate and Richard was more concerned about hearing from us that he did what he was supposed to, rather then genuinely addressing the issue and our concerns.

After 2 days of not having our water issue resolved. I decided to video our water pressure to have video documentation to confirm our problem. I do have these videos for your review if you would like to see them. From my understanding, it seemed that the water issues were all in the VIP building, where all of the more expensive and upgraded rooms are.

Overall, we had a nice visit with good friends and family as well as a beautiful wedding. The resort itself was nice and well maintained. We had great experiences with most of the resort staff like Angelina and Christina in the restaurant and our housekeeper was very kind as well. When it comes down to the basics of assuming that you will have hot water and water pressure in your room and you do not have this option, that is a problem. One thing that I look forward to in my day is being able to have a nice hot shower or a bath, whether it is to wake me up or make me feel relaxed and refreshed. We were not given this basic necessity for our stay, which in return did not make it the full enjoyable and relaxing time that we anticipated.

I hope you understand our concerns and can address them, especially for future guests at this resort. Being someone who is an Area Manager in the Customer Service field I feel that it is very important concerns like these to be brought to someone's attention to better your business. I am upset that we paid extra for this suite and did not even have the same amenities of a basic room and that we did not have our issue resolved. This was also supposed to be our first relaxing vacation after a stressful home renovation.

Thank you for taking the time to read about our concerns. We look forward to hearing from you."

Link's to the video's that I recorded and uploaded to YouTube of our "Royal Suite" and our water isses:

Day 1: http://youtu.be/uPW7hMOPafo

Day 2: http://youtu.be/hgaE5utpilo

Day 3: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xto2qLgFwwI&feature=youtu.be

Day 4: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xMZkd2d3hT8&feature=youtu.be

Day 5: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4aipNfrOuvU&feature=youtu.be

I stopped at this point, I think you get the point by this time.

Room Tip: If you have decided on this as your resort, do not waste your money on upgrading your room!
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled with family
9 Thank Bryan H
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed May 7, 2012

First of all, I read numerous reviews before heading out on this trip and I felt like I needed to be positive and have my own experience. I went in completely open minded.

The Beaches are Beautiful, the water is gorgeous although very choppy of this side of the island. I wouldn't allow my child to swim there. There were plenty of huts and chairs available on the beach and at the pool as well. I can't say that the staff did a great job cleaning their area of the beach or the chairs around the pool, but the beach was amazing anyways.

I think the rooms vary. Our first room "upgraded" was disgusting. It was a suite. Large enough but dirty, smelly, and outdated. So after a complaint to the front desk, they moved us to a larger, cleaner room. Great view of the pool. I don't think this hotel has a bad location, But it is a party hotel. The pool near our room was loud at times. Other rooms were very close to the beach bar too which is open very late for the party scene so I would try to avoid those. We constantly had to get new room keys because one key would work and another wouldn't. That was obnoxious. Although our room was decent, housekeeping was horrible. We tipped them to bring extra towels which we never saw. Used glasses were never cleaned nor removed from the room. The last couple of nights the shower from the room above us was leaking into our shower when they showered. At that point, I was not interested in complaining further. We had hot water in our room, but other guests did not.

The food, in a word, horrible. I was on vacation for the beach, not the food. But it was the worst. Everyone in our party, and other groups that we met along the way, had gotten sick either the whole week or part of the week. I lost weight on an all included vacation!! We had a very small diet of "Safe Food" & champagne or vodka & tonic. Obviously you can't drink the water unless it is bottled. Not even to brush your teeth, use bottled. Needless to say, the airport restaurant on my way home way my favorite meal of the week. Lots of food and drink consumed there to make up for the week.

The staff is very friendly. No complaints. Most were happy to help. There was a language barrier, but going into another country I think it's our responsibility to try and communicate with the staff in their language as well so everyone tried their best.

The nightclub was okay. I was a little upset that there were prostitutes on the hotel grounds. The staff would attend the nightclubs and have a good time which was fine. But I think that the prostitutes shouldn't be allowed into the resort for those specific purposes. That changes the atmosphere of the resort.

The vendors are very pushy at this resort compared to others that I have stayed at. Make sure you haggle at least down to 1/5 of the price when you purchase something from them. So overpriced.

The grounds were nice. Not as tropical and lush as other places, but pretty in it's own way.

Overall, the beach made the vacation. I would not return to this resort & because of this I don't know if I would be willing to try another resort on this island. I think I would go elsewhere in the caribbean next time for a different experience. I most certainly would not bring my children here. I kept saying we got what we paid for knowing that we did not stay at a five star hotel, but I question that. Disappointed to say the least.

Room Tip: away from beach bar, any other room seems to be nice regardless.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends
10 Thank kds1025
New Castle, Pennsylvania
Reviewed May 4, 2012

We stayed from April 25 till May 2nd. We had a great time. Chicken was great all week. The red meat we didnt like. We went to all the specialty restaurants. They were ok but not great. The La Cava had real good lobster. The room was clean, needed some work but clean. Great location room 2215. The pools were great. Beach was beautiful. All the workers were very kind. The only negative was it needs updated. When that happens we will surely go back. For the price it was a wonderful vacation. It was a much needed rest from the world we all live in. Oh ya one other negative, on Tues. and Sat. they let the vendors come into the resort and set up. All you have to do is say no, but it was just the principle you had to deal with them.

Room Tip: Get VIP it is well worth it. Better room and when they see your bracelet they tend to serve you bett...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Rick F
Knoxville
Reviewed April 27, 2012

Terrible, never will be back. We been in Melia Caribe, loved. Front desk rude, Service bad. Got bit by bed bugs. Old furniture ( we stayed as VIP) Food OK, but no salmon or blue cheese.

Room Tip: Don't book VIP, it's waist of money
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
Grand Bahia Principe La Romana
Emotions by Hodelpa
Emotions by Hodelpa
#1 of 12 in Juan Dolio

Been to Caribe Club Princess Beach Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!