“Great family getaway. Would've been great if some issues were addressed”

Grand Palladium Punta Cana Resort & Spa
Ranked #42 of 112 Hotels in Punta Cana
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed May 25, 2013

This was my family getaway. We (my daughter 16 and son 11, my friend and I ) stayed at the grand palladium Punta Cana from may 14-may 21. Weather was great other than two mornings raining but it stopped by 8 in the morning. The place is beautiful nicely kept. The rooms were great. No musky smell like other people complained. Our second day there the cealing was leaking so they had us moved to another room. The reception staff were nice to accommodate our needs. Very friendly. The entertainers ( Patricia, angel, victor and el calvo ) were amazing they kept us entertained. The children loved them. The entertainers made such a difference in our stay. We went on two excursions. The best ones I think. The Marinequarium where they take you out on a boat, have party, dance to music, swing with stingrays and sharks ( totally safe) and at the end they take out to shallow waters and have a big party in the water with drinks and sandwiches all around) and the country express where they take u to the country side and visit "mama's house", a local school and coffee/ cocoa/ coconut/ vanilla/ and pineapple plantation. The people there were so amazing we had Suharto a great time and to top it all off at the end they took us to this amazing beach call the " Macao" beach beautiful like paradise amazing simply amazing (shout out to Kenny and Dr. Julio who made it so exciting and informative at the same time ) also our travel representatives of sunwing who made it so comfortable in our stay and were they're for all our needs. We were never alone. We thank our sunwing representatives. Amazing guys. If u are planning to book a trip I strongly advise you to book it with them just look for the sunwing reps they seem so genuine and always looking out for you best interest. Ok enough with that. The beaches amazing. They're we're not a lot of venders out bothering you like other people complained. You get some but never book a trip with them it's best you book it with your travel representative. The price for their trips may seem cheaper and appealing but again you don't know how your getting there no who's taking u there so your taking this trip at your own risk. Whereas if u book it with sunwing and/or your travel agent u know your safe all the way not to mention the comfort of transportation to/and from. The food at the resort. Not the greatest in the world but ok. The kids loved the snack bar by the beach all fatty food but when your out and about on the beach u get hungry so the food comes handy. The resort has about 6/7 a'la carte restaurants. the best one u need to go to is the Japanese. The cooks ( I think the one we had was Freddy) was amazing and the food was great. The worst by far and the resort needs to know this is the Italian restaurant " awful" I mean how could the cook not know what he is making. Awful do not go there I mean even the water they served us tasted awful. The dessert was awful over frozen with no taste awful. The rest are okay. The buffet is good. Shout out to the cooks who make the eggs. Great guys. The waiters all look unhappy and it seems they don't like serving us. Like we're a bother so most of the time we got out drinks ourselves. We tipped so that was not the problem. I think they are over worked. But other tan that the buffet food was okay. Would have appreciated the authentic Dominican food which we failed to have there. They had one night of authentic Dominican food but we missed it. They should have a place at the buffet where people have a choice to try Dominican food every time they go to the buffet, that would have been nice.
Ok here are the issue....

1- THE SMOKING. !!!!! Awful!!!!!! These people who smoke should have their own designated area where they can kill their lungs and not the rest of us. The lobby would've been nice if no smoking was permitted. My children suffered because of this. So if your bringing children be ware of this. The resort really needs to do something about this. The place is huge and often u will need t catch a train shuttle where it says no smoking allowed but rude people do it anyways and the driver doesn't say anything about it.

2- naked topless women on the beach if u have children like I did. It wasn't too appealing watching these young/old women tanning and walking up and down the beach. If u and your family are okay with this, than its not a problem. Had I gone by myself with friends it wouldn't have bother mr but I had children and other families with younger children seemed to feel the same way I did. The resort should have a designated area for nude. The beach is long ( since there's three resorts together, the vavaro , the royal suites and ours which I believe is for adults only) so I don't see why it cannot be done. By the way you will have access to all the other resort pools and restaurants.

Room Tip: Book your room close to the reception lobby. you dont always want go be waiting for the shuttle trai...
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank los_angeles_2
Daphne K, Manager at Grand Palladium Punta Cana Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded June 12, 2013

Dear los_angeles_2,

From the staff of Grand Palladium Punta Cana Resort, Spa y Casino we want to thank you for dedicating your time to share your experiences concerning your stay.

We greatly appreciate that we have totally satisfied your well deserved vacations.

Best Regards.

There are newer reviews for Grand Palladium Punta Cana Resort & Spa

Reviewed May 21, 2013

We have stayed at the grand Palladium Punta Cana, the resort is huge and very pretty, the service is good , the guys at the reception are fantastic, they speak english very well, they are always willing. Thanks Faustin ad Mr. Osiris for your help, you are the best. the animation team is fun, the food at the restaurant is delicious. The room was always clean ( they clean it every day). The beach is cute with white sand , there are two pools and the people that work there is always happy. I loved it.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear Amauris97,

We want to thank you for dedicating your time to share your experiences concerning your stay at Grand Palladium Punta Cana Resort, Spa y Casino.

Thank you for choosing our Resort for you and your relatives and for trusting that we will give you your well deserved vacations.

We will be waiting for you next year.

Best Regards.

Reviewed May 19, 2013

Very disappointing stay. To begin and to give credit, the resort was very pretty and the grounds were very well maintained. Now for the rest:
1. Service - very bad and staff generally could not speak English and have not been trained very well.
2. Maintenance was not run very well after reporting to the desk and the "management" hair dryer never fixed or checked in the week stayed. Many outside lights on the room patios were out and never fixed or changed for the week, Pools are deteriating and not being patched.
3. Only had bacon 2 days for breakfast. The ham they put out for breakfast was cut in chunks and was processed. Missing hashbrowns 2 days but had boiled and mashed potatoes out for breakfast. Lack of heating lamps which made the waffles cold. Have never seen croissants on the steam table (as a filler) and getting hard.
4, Bar menus are incorrect: out of the many bars only one had rye whiskey. The staff is taught that scotch whiskey is just whiskey so when you ask for a manhatten you really get a rob roy! Most of the times all the bars, except the piano bar, never had limes for gin and tonics or mint for mohitos. In my opinion the Domincan rum is very sweet and is no comparison for Jamaican and here again, only the piano bar had Bacardi.
5. The ala carte restaurants were mediocre and their menus were nothing special and generally rehash of what the buffets served. The steak house was good, but be prepared to get your own drinks from the bar. There is no ala carte lunch everything is entirely buffet.
6. The rooms do not come with face cloths and they don't even have them. Bath mats are also a problem, you have to use a hand towel!

We were very unhappy with this property: we thought we should try somewhere else. We have gone to the Grand Palladium/Lady Hamilton for the past 4 years and expected the Grand Palladium Punta Cana would be the same. Probably back to Jamaica.

Ed Gaul

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Edward G

Dear Edward G,

Received a warm greeting from the staff of Grand Palladium Punta Cana Resort, Spa y Casino, we want to thank you for dedicating your time to share your experiences concerning your stay.

We would like to apologize for the inconvenience you had during your holidays, during the high season sometimes is difficult to satisfy all our customers, but I assure you we will consider your suggestions, we are working to improve our services.

Once again thank you very much.

Reviewed May 15, 2013

We have stayed at the Grand Palladium in Riviera Maya, so this year (for our 3rd visit to Punta Cana) decided to try the Palladium property in PC. We stayed at the Punta Cana section as we were travelling with Westjet vacations and this section is the one offered by Westjet.
The property overall is beautiful with huge manicured grounds and lots of trees and flowers. Our room was in Villa 75; a great location only steps away from the lobby, beach and two pools. And I can't say enough about the beach just two minutes from our room. We have stayed in the El Cortecito area before and really love the beautiful beach, it is just gorgeous.
The room was as others have reported, really clean with a large jacuzzi tub near the bed, but a bit tired looking. There is no doubt that the shower and sink areas need a redo and the whole room a bit of refreshing, but it was plenty big for two people with enough closet and drawer space.
The Palladium complex is a “stay at one, play at three” feature so there are many buffets, a la cartes and bars available for guests. We only tried the Punta Cana buffet for breakfast and lunch, preferring to eat in the a la cartes available to us for our evening meal. We tried the Italian, Bamboo (Oriental), Tex-Mex, Spanish and Brazilian, and the food was very tasty in each one. Our overall favourite was the Italian; the pizza is really nice, and I really liked the chicken dish that I had for my main course. We found the beef and pork to be very overcooked at Rodizio (Brazilian) but I just loved the Chocolate Truffles I ordered for dessert there.
There are lots of bars on the property with the lobby bars having a live band each night of our stay. Our favourite was the Punta Cana lobby as the bar with its own seating is set off to one side with a stage and courtyard. We also liked Hemingways at the Bavaro side of the resort.
Our issues: the trams need to run more frequently for a resort of this size. One afternoon we waited for 35 minutes for a tram to take us from our area to the Bavaro lobby. Evenings also had long waits even though there were two trams running at that time.
The bigger concern was water. The day after our arrival, we returned to our room after a walk on the beach to find no running water – not in our villa, or in most others in this section, not even water in the taps by the beach to wash sand off your feet. There was no water for about 5 hours, and outside a number of villas there were pools of foul smelling water gathered in flower beds and low-lying grassy areas. OK, water is back and there were no serious concerns until the morning we were leaving. We were finishing our packing and there was a gurgling noise from the toilet. When we looked, the sink, toilet and even shower had backed up. This did not last long, but when we went outside, there was more foul smelling water in the area, same as before.
We left the resort at 10:30 so don't know if there were any further problems, but it is somewhat off-putting for us. We really enjoyed the resort and all its amenities, but probably would not return to this section.

Room Tip: Villas 72-75 are near both pools and lobby. They are smaller villas instead of the hotel-style build...
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank janidd

Dear janidd,

With all or affection we want to thank you for your commentaries, we are glad to know that you had a great vacations.

Thank you for choosing Grand Palladium Punta Cana Resort, Spa y Casino as your special gateway.

Reviewed May 14, 2013

First of all, I'd like to compliment Sunwing Vacations on flawless organization, a great flight and great service.

ARRIVAL - We arrived at this resort in a group of over 40 people all under 25. Considering it was the middle of the night, and we were all very rambunctions and anxious, the staff were pretty quick to get us all checked in and extremely patient. The receptionist did an excellent job welcoming us and explaining everything we needed to know. However - there was no bell hop available to bring our bags, and most of us ended up dragging them across the resort and up all the stairs. It would have been nice if they had allowed for more workers, as they knew we were arriving.

ROOM - Our room was top floor(as requested) with kind bed (as requested) in a very central location near the pool. We could not have asked for a better location. The cleaning staff did a good job cleaning up our room every day. Even tidying our belongings every evening. We spent most of our time exploring and on outtings and left the room in mayhem every morning, and came home to find it in perfect order every day. The only comment I have about the room is that bugs were coming inside the room from the vents under the jetted tub, and the room was not mopped for the whole week we were there, which meant there was sand and dirt on the floors from our shoes etc.

BEACH - The beach was absolutely the best beach I have set foot on - ever. There were little areas where there was seaweed which bothered some people in other reviews about Punta Cana, but it's the ocean! It didn't bother me in the least and made for beautifully natural looking pictures. The weather was gorgous every day and the ocean was a pleasure to swim in. Very calm and warm.

GROUNDS - I walked onto this resort expecting it to be "pretty". What I got was breathtaking and manicured to perfection. The gardiners definitely deserve their pay plus more. There are so many beautiful gardens and flowers and trees to look at and enjoy. All the blooming vegetation creats a sweet floral scent all over the resort that I really did appreciate. There wasn't a leaf out of place. Constant mowing, pruning, and raking.

FOOD - The food was above my expectations. Everything was served hot and fresh. The buffet was not exhausting and crowded as I have experienced at other resorts. The large variety of places to eat was refreshing. We ate at the Italian, Brazillian and Japanese reataurants and the food at both was very tasty, but slow showing up to our table at the Italian. Since we had a "pay for 1 play at 3" package, we ventured to other parts of the resort to eat sometimes and experienced great meals there too.

SERVICE - The service was excellent. The staff on the resort were very pleasent, always making conversation and were more than willing to go out of their way to help with anything. The bartenders really listen to what you want instead of just filling up your cup with thatever and moving on to the next person. Jerry at the pool bar was extremely accomidating to my picky taste in alcohol and went out of his way to make me something beautiful to drink every day. There were many vendors that came onto the resort to sell excursions. warning : If you book an excursion such as parasailing with the guys on the beach, ask for a reciept. Our reservation was mysteriously "lost" and they did not believe us when we told them that we had paid previously. After a long argument, it was settled. They approached us every morning to try to get us to book excursions, a polite "no thank you" usually did the trick. One of them tried to sell us drugs and a firm "no" gave him the message that we were not interested. Unfortunately this happens on all caribean beaches and can not be avoided despite the effort by the resorts to protect their guests.

POOLS - good. There could have been more seating, though. As long as we were up early we were able to get chairs but otherwise we were stuck lying on the pool deck. The pools were very spacious and well maintained. treated every night and netted every morning.

Over all, this was my best experience with all inclusives. Perhaps I have been spoiled and have high standards now because this was my first, but I have yet to go to a resort that was on par with the quality of this one. I highly recommend it and can't wait to go back!

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank michellemeehan
Daphne K, Manager at Grand Palladium Punta Cana Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded May 15, 2013

Dear Michellemeehan,

From the staff of Grand Palladium Palace Resort, Spa y Casino we want to thank you for dedicating your time to share your experiences concerning your stay.

It is a satisfaction to know that you enjoyed your stay at our resort and that we have totally satisfied your needs.

We will be waiting your next vacations.

Thank you very much.

Reviewed May 14, 2013 via mobile

I am a little late in doing my review however my fond memories of this holiday are still as clear! I am from london, I have experienced very high quality and expensive stays in the UK however GP was my first experience of 5* and AI!

On arrival after a very long journey we were greated with a warm welcome, a glass of fresh fruit juice and ice cold flannel.. Perfect!

Our room was a standard room with a jacuzzi. Cannot fault the room, maids came every morning and replenished the fridge and tidied up. The fridge is filled with beer, fizzy drinks and water.

The resort itself is huge however my bf and I enjoyed walking around it. The spa was amazing, so nice to relax here after a hard day in the sunshine ;).

The pools were well kept, busy at times however we always managed to get a sun lounger no matter what time in the day. There are various activities in the afternoon but by no means are you pushed into participating.

Unfortunately we didnt experience the ampitheatre or disco we were usually relaxing after dinner in a bar for a little while.

Reception staff will allow you to have as many water bottles as you need, they were a little less friendly than say the resturant staff but polite.

Most importantly.. The food was beautiful. My least favourite was probably the Brasilian one. Our fav was the japanese, if you get to book on the table service where the chef cooked in front of you you're in for a treat! Food was outstanding.

The buffet during breakfast lunch and dinner had an array of different foods, salad, hot meals, breads, fruit, desserts etc..

The beach is soo beautiful, we also managed to get a sun lounger at any time. Do try the Dr Ocean spa and cruise trip, it was well worth it!

Overall- Id return again in a heartbeat!

• Stayed: July 2012

Dear Katyfitzy,

With all or affection we want to thank you for your commentaries, we are pleased because you had a great time in our hotel,

Reviewed May 11, 2013

I have to laugh at the few bad reviews here. This is a gorgeous place that is highly manicured, well maintained and with all the amenities you could ask for. There are 8 different restaurants, all excellent. The best was the buffet with incredible diverse selections, fresh tropical fruits, fresh everything and just about anything you could want. Each night they did a different international cuisine. The abundant staff are all friendly. The alcoholic drinks are everywhere and they just keep filling them up even if your glass is only half full. The beach and pools are excellent and there is onshore and offshore excursions and entertainment everywhere. There are regular shuttle rides that get you from one place to another if you don't feel like walking. There is cable tv, wi-fi access etc.

This is a poor spanish-speaking country and the Spa employs a large staff of very polite and friendly people who know little english. I know zero spanish. There are occasional merchants that sell trinkets. The bathroom shower head drips a little. If that bothers you to the point of giving a place 1 star then I'm sorry you don't know how to enjoy life.

Stayed: May 2013, traveled solo
7  Thank joshua m
Daphne K, Manager at Grand Palladium Punta Cana Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded May 12, 2013

Dear Xmen2012,

We are really thankful for you’re the precious time you dedicate to share your good experiences in the hotel with us.

Thank you very much.