“A relaxing holiday”

GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Solihull
“A relaxing holiday”
Reviewed April 6, 2013

This is a huge complex comprising 4 hotels, one of them a Royal Service which is only available for Royal Service guests. It is a well kept resort. It can be difficult to find your way about the complex until you get your bearings. The resort guests come from all over the world and the resort staff speak many languages. There are shuttle buses that travel round the resort but they are a bit irregular at peak (meal) times.

The room that my wife and I stayed in was quite large, it had 2 queen beds and a sofa bed. It was in good condition with decent decor.The air conditioning was quiet and effective. The bathroom was also large and had a spa bath and separate shower with his and her sinks. There was a good supply of toiletries and towels.

The food is generally good, in addition to the buffet restaurants there are 8 speciality restaurants which guests can use as many times as they wish during their stay, the bonus is that you don't have to book but you may have to wait for a table a the popular steak and japanese restaurants. I said that the food was ok but you have to realise that the restaurants prepare food well in advance of it being served to guests, similar to how it would be prepared for a large function, so don't expect gourmet quality.

The staff are generally friendly and helpful, there are some that can't be bothered to listen to your order. my wife is a diabetic and can only drink sugar free drinks and sometimes she would get sugared soda which can play havoc with her sugar levels. In general if you have a complaint or issue the staff will try and deal with it.

The beach has fine soft white sand, there are no rocks and little in the way of seaweed. The beach slopes gently into the sea. There is a strong tide and boogie boarding is popular. Even with the tide swimming is easy, even for swimmers who don't have a strong stroke.

The pools on the complex are a decent size and depth for swimming and are well maintained.

There is free WiFi and PC's for guest use the lobby areas.

There is entertainment during the day and evening, his is not great as the entertainment team have to present in many different languages, but it is OK for what it is.

Now the bad bit, there are lots of sun loungers round the many pools and on the beach. There appears to be an adequate number of umbrellas but they get reserved very early in the morning and don't get used until much later in the day. If you arrive on the beach at 8 am all of the shaded sun loungers will be reserved. One lady came to a reserved umbrella at 11 am, she had reserved it at 6 am. I complained to the hotel rep about this as there is a 'no reserve' sun lounger policy. The next day the staff tried to enforce the policy but the problem is too endemic to resolve properly. I certainly don't expect or want to get up at 6 am to guarantee a shaded sun lounger when on holiday. The staff advised to move any towels and guest possessions off any sun lounger which had been left unattended for long periods.

The source of the problem appears to be that some guests bring their own towels on holiday with the express purpose of being able to reserve shaded sun loungers on both the beach and by the pool areas. The issue could be resolved at a stroke if the resort banned guests from using their own towels. Having said this, during the second week of our holiday the sun lounger issue was not as bad.

My wristwatch was stolen from my bag whilst at the pool. As my bag was not left unattended at any time I was at a loss to think how this could have happened. I then remembered that it could only have occurred as a result of distraction. Someone, I think it was one of the many traders on the complex, came up to me talking in a highly animated manner engaging me for 30 seconds or so then leaned close to me and said sorry, he was talking to a friend who was behind me and then they both disappeared. So guests need to be vigilant and alert to this type of crime.

The resort caters well for guests who want good value for money and are not expecting ultra luxury. I had a good relaxing holiday. People can always find something to complain about but is a good resort, I would be happy to return.

Room Tip: I can't offer any advice, I stayed in block 44 which was good, but was a 2-3 minute walk to the...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
4 Thank WJCSolihull
Daphne K, Manager at Grand Palladium Punta Cana Resort & Spa, responded to this review, May 1, 2013
Dear WJCSolihull,

From the staff of Grand Palladium Punta Cana Resort, Spa & Casino we want to thank you for dedicating your time to share your experiences concerning your stay.

We are proud that once again you chose Grand Palladium Punta Cana Resort, Spa & Casino, trusting that we will give you your well deserved vacations.

Thanks for highlighting these details; we work to satisfy your needs.

Once again thank you very much,

Greetings,

Daphne Krausch
Resident Manager / Gerente Residente
Grand Palladium Punta Cana Resort, Spa & Casino

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (607)
  • Czech first
  • Greek first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
Jersey City, New Jersey, United States
Reviewed April 3, 2013

I thought the people that worked here were very friendly and accommodating. They were readily available to bring you drinks when you were at the buffet or relaxing by the pool. Also, they are very interactive with the guests all day long. Although I didn't participate in the "Bingo" games I thought it was nice that they kept people entertained. They got a little annoying though for those who just wanted to listen to music and chill. There's a nightclub on the resort that a lot of the workers went to at the end of the night and got everyone to dance together. That was a lot of fun.

The buffets have such a great variety of food that you are bound to wobble out after each dining experience. The pools and beach are beautiful too. The resort is HUGE so be prepared to walk a lot. There's a little train you can catch that travels around the resort. It's helpful on those days its super hot and you're ready to pass out.

The first time I stayed here was in 2006 and the last time was in 2012. The one thing I wish they didn't change was the ability to make reservations for the restaurants. We had to wait about 2 hours to eat at the Brazilian place because it's "first come first serve." There was a bar there but some of the people in the waiting area had kids and you could tell the kids were getting restless and falling asleep.

So that's my only gripe about the hotel. Other than that it's lots of fun with yummy food.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
5 Thank Aimes1128
Daphne K, Manager at Grand Palladium Punta Cana Resort & Spa, responded to this review, April 4, 2013
Dear Aimes1128,

We greatly appreciate your dedicating a precious time to share your good experiences in the hotel with us.

It is a pleasure to know that you enjoyed your stay and that we have totally satisfied your needs.

Thanks for highlighting these details; we work to improve every day.

Grand Palladium Punta Cana Resort , Spa & Casino
Grand Palladium Bavaro Resort , Spa & Casino
Surrey
Reviewed April 2, 2013

We are so happy we chose the Grand Palladium Punta Cana to get married at! We had a group of 40 people go down for 1 week in November 2011. The wedding co-coordinator we dealt with was amazing, her name is Carolina. She always answered all my emails in a timely manner and was very helpful through the whole process. We met with her after we arrived to choose the final details such as the cake, the color of the chair sashes, etc. We chose the gazebo for the ceremony which looked beautiful and was private. We brought our own photographer (who was also a wedding guest) which I would highly recommend, pictures are what you remember the whole day by. We had a private dinner at the restaurant by the beach, It was amazing. We also booked a private beach party after dinner with DJ and open bar which I would definitely recommend.
All our guests had a blast and we are still all talking about our amazing week at this resort. We booked through air transit and this included unlimited a-la-cart restaurants. This is always my preference instead of waiting in a line every morning to get a reservation. We were aloud to reserve but also we could just show up and get a buzzer and they would buzz us when our table was ready. This was great and aloud for large groups of us to eat together at 1 restaurant. We did a a-la-cart every night. The Hemmingway bar is amazing. It opens up in the early evening and serves all premium liquor (you can order Baileys or a Cesar with motts clamato). We were also told this was for Transat guests only and this was an amazing perk. We always went here for pre-dinner cocktails. We also enjoyed the lobby bar.
This resort is actually 3 separate resorts side by side. We stuck mostly to our hotel’s area but ventured to a few a la carts in different sections. The beach was beautiful. Rooms were good, we booked into junior suits which had a little sitting area and nice big bathrooms. The staff were friendly.
We most definitely plan to return to this resort.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank kbheart
Dear kbheart,

We want to thank you for dedicating your time to share your experiences concerning your stay at Grand Palladium Punta Cana Resort, Spa & Casino.

Comments like yours are the best motivation for us; we try to provide a good team and service to our guests.

We also wants to congratulate you for your marriage.

Thank you for choosing the Grand Palladium Punta Cana Resort, Spa & Casino for you and your relatives and for trusting that we will give you your well deserved vacations.

Best Regards,

Toronto
Reviewed March 25, 2013

We are a family of 4, with a 2 and a 4 year old. All in all, we had a great vacation and it was great for our purposes... No regrets going there but I there are some things (good and bad) that I'd like to put out there...

The Good:
- Kids Club and Kids Pool were amazing! Lots of supervised and unsupervised activities for them and the pool was the perfect depth and size with fun slides and the pirate ship. Highly recommend if you have kids.
- Good food selection. We went to the resort without super high expectations and were satisfied with the food. Lots of a la cartes. Japanese tepanyaki was fun and good! Chinese was also good and the Sports Bar was very convenient. The Italian was not very good (taste wise) but the decor was nice.
- Nice grounds.
- No problems with the english.
- Great beach with plenty of chairs and palapas.
- Great pools and lots to do, including the sports complex.
- Not too crowded even though it was March Break.

The Bad:
- Service: The restuarant staff did not seem very happy with their jobs and always looked annoyed when you asked them for something. I don't think it is a cultural thing, as we have been to Iberostar Bavaro, and they were also so happy and over the moon to serve you or find out what you need and I generally found all Dominicans we met to be very friendly and with a smile.
- Took 6 hours to get a crib for my 2 year old. We checked in at 3pm, and no crib. Went for lunch, dinner and nothing until 9pm (and multiple calls later). The front desk said that there was nothing they could do to escalate the issue as the Housekeeping management was not the same as theirs. I don't blame the employees, but it seems like it is a top down approach, where the employees are not marching to the same beat or happy to be working there (throughout the resort).
- The rooms were very dated, and we only got one king bed and an old pull out couch for the second bed. Kind of nasty. The showers, as mentioned in other posts, were awkward where the water would leak onto the floor. Also the button to turn the shower would cut out from time to time so you would always have to have someone hold it down. The TV didn't work, and there is no screen door for the balcony (which was very small and had two plastic lawn chairs).

Summary:
This would be the perfect place if they had nicer, larger and more modern/comfortable rooms, with functionable bathrooms/showers and new beds. The service needs to be upgraded as many other resorts in Punta Cana have far superior service than Palladium. A few smiles and topping up of coffee or extra napkins goes a long way.

feel free to send me a note if you have any questions!

Room Tip: Try the bavaro or palace section. I hear the rooms are nicer there.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
8 Thank travelpat88
Dear travelpat88,

I really appreciate the valuable time you spend to share your experiences at the hotel.

All comments are very important for us, as well as other travelers, which is a valuable tool for us to continue improving.

Thanks for highlighting these details, we try to provide a good team and a good service to our guests. Comments like this are important for us to keep improving every day; we definitely will take then into consideration.

Once again thank you for your comments,

Best Regards,

Llanberis, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 24, 2013

Last visited 4 years ago, returned January , this makes our 4th visit. The only downside we noticed was very few staff spoke or could understand English especially reception staff. Thomson have changed accommodation blocks & are now opposite the football & sports centre, which are not so close to the beach as the other blocks were. The cleanliness of the whole place is second to none & the food is better & more choice. Many new places for children built. much more transport available for visitors around the resort. One finds it difficult to see any reason to complain, but no dought some will always nit-pick.
All I can say is go & enjoy.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear welshnames,

We work to satisfy your needs.

Once again thank you very much, you are part of our Palladium family.

Greetings,

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 23, 2013

Really can't fault this hotel. We have stayed there 14 times in total and plan to go at least another 14 times! The beach, food and drink choices, the cleanliness are all tops. Every time we return we can see that the hotel has reinvested, adding more facilities, refurbishing etc etc

The staff are great, happy to help and make us feel like family to them. They all work very hard and it is easy to get a rapport with them. The animation teams work incredibly hard from early morning to very late at night, they have such energy and a whole range of entertainment is on offer from darts to beach parties. We had an extra party on the beach on this trip to celebrate St Patricks day and the animators were dressed as leprechauns - great fun!

I have only one complaint - the smoking. I don't think people should be allowed to smoke at the bars. The lobbies - ok because they are semi open but at the pool bars and the other bars, it is not fair to the staff who have to breathe that smoke in all the time and potentially seriously damaging their health when they don't smoke themselves.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
6 Thank Susie H
Daphne K, Manager at Grand Palladium Punta Cana Resort & Spa, responded to this review, May 6, 2013
Dear Susie H,

We are really thankful for the precious time you dedicate to share your good experiences in the hotel with us.

It is a satisfaction to know that you enjoyed your stay at our resort and that we have totally satisfied your needs.

We invite you to come back.

Thank you very much.
Canada
Reviewed March 21, 2013

This was our second visit to the Grand Palladium in Punta Cana. The first time, my husband and I stayed at the Royal Suites Turquesa, which was absolutely fantastic. This time, we brought along our two older boys, aged 10 and nearly 4.
Check in was quick and easy. Service all round was prompt and courteous. Staff are especially friendly if you attempt to speak to them in Spanish (as they say, when in Rome...)
The room was in a fantastic location, steps from the beach. No real beach view from our first floor room because of the shrubbery, but a beautiful view of the gardens nonetheless.

The room itself was quite tired looking... decor was dated, there was no screen door to let in fresh air (it's a garden door, and not a patio door)... the TV was an old CRT model, no flat screen... the doors to the closet stuck and were very difficult to open and close. Otherwise, it was fine. The room was cleaned daily and fresh towels were provided upon request, although there was no towel art or floral decoration of the room, even though we left generous gifts and tips. Aside from lack of glamour, the room was fine. Clean, well kept. Honestly we just slept and changed there, so it didn't matter all that much to us.

The restaurant selection is fantastic, even better than last time. The Teppanyaki is still our favorite, the Brazilian a close second. We very much enjoyed the food at the new Italian restaurant, however service was a bit slow, and not quite as friendly as in the other restaurants. It did however boast the best salad bar. The Chinese restaurant was very good, as was the steakhouse. We really aren't fans of the Mexican restaurant, but since there are 9 restaurants (11 if you're staying at the Royal Suites) to choose from, there is never a shortage of great food, and you never have to go to a restaurant that you don't enjoy. We never even ate dinner at the buffet.

A few great additions since our last visit are the kids club, kids pool, and snack bar at the beach. The kids had lots to keep them busy, and hubby and I were able to have a little alone time to walk the beach or do watersports. The snack bar has delicious chicken nuggets! We had lunch there once or twice. Great spot to grab a quick bite.

We found (during both trips) that the best place for breakfast is Las Torres, the buffet at Palladium Palace. There are generally two omelette stations where they can also make your choice of scrambled, over easy or over hard eggs. There is a crepe station, and a newly added waffle station as well. They also provide REAL maple syrup next to the pancakes/french toast. It's the only buffet with real maple syrup.
The best place for lunch is El Bohio, a beachfront buffet at Palladium Palace. Lots of food selection, and a section of tables with a beach view.

The beach is beautiful, tuquoise waters, white sand... loungers are taken early in the day so it's a good idea to go before breakfast to reserve your chair. Unfortunately, some greedy guests will stack a handful of chairs under a hut and "reserve" them with one towel, and then never show up to claim them. In which case, we pretend the "wind must have caught the towel and blown it away", and put the chairs to good use. Haha.

Vendors, vendors everywhere: On the beach, at the pool, some nights they even have tables outside the lobbies and restaurants. UGH. It's quite exhausting, saying "no gracias" five hundred times a day. And they don't take no for an answer the first time round. They push and push... really that's the biggest downer about Punta Cana. And don't think you can tell them "tomorrow" and they will forget you- they won't. They're like elephants. They'll recognize you all week and keep asking... each time lowering their price by a few bucks.

Entertainment is great. Hemingway's is a fantastic piano lounge near the pool at Palladium Bavaro. Also at Bavaro is the sports bar, where you can shoot some pool, watch some sports, drink some booze, and eat some great bar food, and it's 24 hours! There are two theaters, kids night shows are at 8 and 8:30, main shows at 9 and 10. The Michael Jackson show is our favorite, although all the shows are great. We are not fans of the beach party BUT there are other things to see as well... there's the casino, and most lobby bars have a band performing in the evenings. There are activities all day long (download the app to stay current, we found this very handy, although the activities are rarely on time... but you're on vacation, you're there to get away from schedules)
All in all, a great resort, whether you're there for a romantic getaway, or a fun filled family vacation. This large 4-in-1 resort complex has everything you want and need for a fantastic getaway.

Room Tip: Second floor is better, 3000 and 4000 buildings are centrally located and steps from the beach.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
5 Thank my_3_sons_canada_JAN
Daphne K, Manager at Grand Palladium Punta Cana Resort & Spa, responded to this review, May 11, 2013
Dear My_3_sons_canada_JAN,

We are really thankful for you’re the precious time you dedicate to share your good experiences in the hotel with us.

We look forward for your return.

Thank you very much.