“Just returned”

GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Fairfield, Ohio, United States
“Just returned”
Reviewed November 17, 2012

Just returned yesterday (11/16/2013) from this resort. Both my spouse and I were pleased with our 7 night vacation.

The only really negatives we observed were that the rooms are dated and could use an upgrade. However, we weren't in our rooms for any amount of time. Additionally the resort closed the buffet we were using for lunch without any notice (that we could tell) and opened an outdoor buffet near the pool. We are not real fans of outdoor dining, and it took some time to finally find someone to tell us where the nearest indoor buffet was.

However, the pools were great!. The bartenders at any of the pools of regular bars always greeted you with a friendly "hola" and hustled to get the drink you ordered. I read some comments that the staff was not friendly and we did not experience this at all. From the wait staff to the guy picking up palm fronds on the well manicured lawns always greated us with what appeared to me to be genuine pleasure and curiosity.

The food is typical buffet (we did not visit any of the al carte eateries) but it was well prepared. While not gourmet, both my wife and I could always find something we wanted to eat and different stuff we wanted to try.

There are several people trying to sell trips and goods at the pools and beach, but a simple "no gracias" was all it took to get them to leave.

Both our checkin and checkout went quickly. I would guess less than 5 minutes for each. We did purchase private transportation, so we didn't arrive with a group of people all trying to checkin at once.

A word of advice for those who havent been to the Puntsa Cana airport. Terminal 1 is not air conditioned. The humidity for the 3 hours we were there is staggering, and since there were several departures going on at 15 minute intervals, finding a seat to wait could be hard. We were dressed for our return to 32 degree weather so it was quite uncomfortable. Terminal 2 is air conditioned and had we found out sooner, we might have waited a bit there.

Both my wife and I agreed that this would be a resort we would return to without hesitation when retuning to the Dominica.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank david13e
Rsegarra, General Manager at Grand Palladium Punta Cana Resort & Spa, responded to this review, November 20, 2012
Dear writer,

Thank you very much for sharing your comments and experiences of your recent stay at the Grand palladium Punta Cana Resort & Spa.
We value very positively your feedback which will only benefit us in order to improve the service that we deliver.
We are happy to hear that you have experience the friendliness of our staff, one of keys to our success.

Please do not hesitate to contact us for a next visit.

Kind regards,

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (609)
  • Czech first
  • Greek first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
Thorold, Canada
Reviewed November 16, 2012

This was our first trip to Jamiaca after having been to Mexico (mayan), Punta Cana, Cuba and Bahamas. It was a great experience the first time so we took our young adult kids with us the second time. We had heard to beaches are beatiful in Punta Cana and they are but were told the food is not good. Well they were wrong here. The food was very good here. Everywhere we ate we had a great meal whether buffets (we tried all 3 of them) or the a la cartes. The Brazilian was a unique dining experience that was new to me. You have to like your meat though, not for vegetarians.

The entertainment was so so, have seen much better but the beautiful grounds, beach, food and rooms all made for a great location. The disco was too hot and actually smelled so we didn't stay but we just went to the Casino right in the middle of the resort if we wanted some later night entertainment.

All in all it was a great Punta Cana experience. I do recommend it as it is also reasonably priced for the superb quality.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank cdickson
Rsegarra, General Manager at Grand Palladium Punta Cana Resort & Spa, responded to this review, November 22, 2012
Seasons greetings

Thank you so much for having chosen Grand Palladium Punta Cana for your last vacation and thank you for sharing your experience with us.

We are happy you enjoyed our facilities, such as the beach and the Brazilian Restaurant. We here at Grand Palladium Punta Cana work hard to ensure that this is to your liking and we hope we will be your vacation hotel of choice again and again.

Happy thanksgiving day!
Mississauga, Canada
Reviewed November 10, 2012

Went to this resort in May with 4 other girlfriends. The front desk upgraded our room upon arrival and everyone was very friendly and helpful. The rooms were tidy and the fridge was stalked every morning with water and pop. The food was also excellent-highly recommend the Japanese and Steakhouse. Beautiful pools and beaches. The disco was also a lot of fun!! I would go back here 100%!!!

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
3 Thank rachelle d
ltajes, Manager at Grand Palladium Punta Cana Resort & Spa, responded to this review, November 8, 2013
Dear.Mrs. Mr.Rachelle.D.

On behalf of Our staff and the Grand Palladium Royal Suites Turquesa and who subscribe let me extend you, warm greetings; and add we are tremendously grateful, for taking your valuable time to comment your experience with us.

Also, we would like to invite once Again, to Our Complex, to keep with these good memories Lived.

We have noted, That Your Experience with us was Wonderful, and filled out all your expectations, through this response; we let you know that, your Words Encourage and motivate us to maintain and improve our Level of service.

at the Grand Palladium Royal Suites Turquesa: we strive with Devotion to ensure to Our Guest Wonderful memories back home.

Best Regards.
New York
Reviewed November 10, 2012

10/13 – 10/21
Check in: Was quick and easy with Daniela.

Room (loft): Was very nice, big and comfortable. The bathroom was small but the shower was roomy. The mini fridge felt as if it was warm but the drinks were always very cold. I would always grab a few extra bottles of water from the front desk. There was barley any service with the small tube box TV. We don’t go on vacation to watch TV but at night it would have been nice to see anything. We had an issue with the AC one night. It was blowing hot air for hours. It took a few more hours (about 8 hours total), phone calls and one trip to the first desk, but we were moved to another room for the night as they were having an issue with a whole section of the resort. By 7am it was back up and running.

Food: Was very good compared to all the resort food I’ve ever had. Molina and Emilia gave the best service in the buffet and Brazilian restaurant. They treated us like family. Also do not miss Dominican night at the buffet. The food was beyond amazing that night. I had my fill of all my favorites…..Sancocho, rice pudding, habichuela dulce, and coco dulce.

Drinks: All good and strong. I got hooked on the coco loco especial. Also look for William by the pool and ask for the William special. Look for Fabio at the lobby. The Mama Juana from the lobby bar was the best.

Excursions: Look and ask for Mr. Solution by the pool. He is great. We did two excursions with his company: the dune buggies. Wild Tiger Company for the dune buggies was great. The guide, Alex was very polite. I felt safe and secured with them. This trip takes you through mud and sand to a beautiful beach called Macao. You send a few minutes there. From there you are taken to learn about the cacao bean and how coffee and chocolate are made. If you want you can buy chocolate powder, coffee, vanilla, cigars, etc from them. Afterwards you are taken to a cave. I did not jump into the natural spring water but I heard it was very cold and about 25 ft deep. We also did an excursion to Saona beach. I highly recommend this excursion. It is an experience. Please make sure to put a lot of sunblock and take it with you. It is a long ride but you take a speed boat to a natural pool in the middle of the ocean. There they provide you with rum and coke. After taking in the beauty of the area you are taken to the beach where you are provided with food and drinks. Please be advised that there are a lot of bees trying to get to the soda. My sister ended up being stung. After an hour at the beach you take a catamaran back. Please be aware that no matter where you go people will try to hustle for you to buy something from there. If you are not interested just tell them thank you but no.
Weather: Great. Around the 90s. It rained twice in the day and about twice at night. The rain only lasts about 10-15 mins.

Bugs: Mosquitos tend to attack at night around the lobby. Make sure to spray yourself with OFF.

Overall this has been one of my best vacations. The staff are great. Some of them were very sad to see us go. Can’t wait to return. If you have any questions…ask away.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank Ana Q
Calgary, Canada
Reviewed November 6, 2012

We booked our stay at the Grand Palladium Resort & Spa. My boyfriend's sister chose this resort to host her wedding. By first impressions of online reviews, I would not have chosen this resort myself. However, we kept an open mind and were pleasantly surprised...for the most part.

ARRIVAL

Upon arrival, the front desk was chaotic. They had 3-4 staff members trying to help at least 10 people at the same time. This made for long wait times and unneccesary stress. Since we were travelling as a family, we requested to be put in rooms close to each other. This request was handled without issue which we greatly appreciated it.

ACCOMODATIONS / ROOMS

Once we were checked in, we found our way to our room. If you can, request a room in the 8000 building section. This is prime location as you are close to the beach, pool, main lobby and the breakfast/dinner buffet. We opted for the loft room. The room is a bit out dated and could use some sprucing up. In order for the lights and air conditioning to work you have to insert one of your room keys into a designated slot. Therefore, if you need to leave the room, you only have 1 room key to get back in. The air conditioning worked well but was quite noisy when you wanted to sleep. We would have to turn it off at night and suffer being hot in order to get some sleep.

I was certain we requested an oceanview room but the only view we had of the ocean was if we stood at the edge of our balcony and looked around the corner. Not a huge deal to us, as we were barely in the room, but it would have been nice to see the ocean while relaxing on the balcony, especially since that's what we paid for.

The cleaning staff was excellent. Each room is assigned a designated room attendant. Francesica was always friendly and did her best to accomodate our specific needs. The room was cleaned daily and there was always fresh flowers displayed. We tipped our room attendant because we felt she deserved it for going the extra mile for us.

FOOD

Since we were a large group of about 24 people, we typically ate at the buffet for breakfast, lunch and dinner. I have nothing bad to say about the buffets. All the food was fresh and there was always something you could find that suited your taste. Lots of fresh fruits, vegetables, smoothies made daily, etc. If you couldn't find something you liked, then you are too picky.

The wait-staff were absolutely wonderful. They were able to remember our "usual" drink orders and were quite friendly and playful.

BEACH / POOL

Beach was AMAZING.We spent every single day at there. We always managed to get a hut for shade. Beach was never crowded and there was plenty of chairs to use. The water was crystal clear blue and always warm. We dipped into the pool once. It was nice but we preferred the beach as you'd get a nice sea breeze. Downside of the beach was that you were constantly bombarded with sales people trying to sell various tours/excusions or selling homemade items or cigars. After about the 4th day they begin to recognize you and wouldn't appraoch you but it was quite annoying for the first little while.

GROUNDS / LOCATION / ENTERTAINMENT

This resort is HUGE. Be prepared for alot of walking. They do have a train/trolly system that operates until 2:00AM. It can take about 20-30 minutes for it to make a round through the resort. We were lucky to be near everything we needed so we didn't have a need for the train. They have a great entertainment section that offers tons of sports such as mini-golf, archary, soccer, tennis, volleyball, etc. We were surprised to see that no one really took advantage of these free activities. There is also a casino on site, which is a joke. They try to lure you in by giving you coupons that will match your bet (ex. you put up $10 and the casino will give you $10 to play with). No one I knew won a dime there. Not a REAL casino in my opinion.

EXCURSIONS

We chose to go on a dunebuggie/ATV excursion that takes you to Macao Beach, a Cocoa/Tobacco/Coffee plantation, and to an underground cave with a natural spring you can jump in and swim. Overall we spent about $60/pp and it was well worth it. Be prepared to have everyone and anyone trying to sell you anything they can pass off as a souvenir.

WEDDING

The wedding was absolutely perfect. We had our doubts about the resort's ability to pull it off on time and by schedule. We were used to everything running on "Dominican" time there. However, the resort staff was well organized and everything ran smoothly.

OVERALL EXPERIENCE

My experience at this resort was pleasant. My criteria for a good vacation is sun, drinks, good food and RELAXING! I was able to do all. The resort and the staff did their best to accomdate us during our entire stay, and despite the language barrier (which at times was difficult), we felt like royalty. Especially since we were a large group, it was great to see everyone having a great time and able to relax.

Tipping certainly does go a long way at this resort. I only tipped when I felt it was deserved.

I don't think I would return to this resort based on the fact that it way too large and didn't feel I got the most I could out of the resort. I felt we got the value for what we paid for.

Room Tip: Building 8000
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
6 Thank dasilva88
Reviewed October 21, 2012 via mobile

My boyfriend and I went to this resort at the end of June for a week. It was an AMAZING vacation and We had the best time! The people from the Dominican are very the friendly and will get to know you by your first name and will ALWAYS remember you and greet you when they see you.

The food at this resort is incredible! Just limit yourself to the rich fruits. Try the Brazilian a la carte! It's delicious! And the drinks are very tasty. They pour the right amount of rum everytime.

The beach is the best part of the whole vacation! Spend as much time there as you can. It's beautiful!

The only downside is the beach sellers interrupting your relaxation at the beach and the guys in the blue shirts trying to sell you jewellery around the main pool/lobby. They are very nice but they also will say a necklace is 60 USD when they're really 7 USD for 3 at the Cigar Shops off resort. Don't fall for it like We did! Even if they are beautiful!

Don't forget to go ziplinging with Canopy Zipline Tours. That was a blast! Best thing We did there and the group such as Hector and his gang, put on a great show and give you as much information you need about the country! Also go on a safari and take the tour to Higuey, it gives you insight to the life of the Dominican. You also get to go to Macao Beach. That beach is the jewel to the island!

• Stayed June 2012
9 Thank caribbeannnn
Durham, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 10, 2012

Went to this resort on 25th September 2012 and this review is very truthful, we arrived on the 25th September 2012 and where given purple bands with bavaro on then taken to the room whch was a standard room it was clean and tidy a little old fashioned but ok. We where there for 3 days until we noticed one of the main drains outside our room was blocked and smelt of sewage and was over flowing and heading towards our room, so we decided to see if i could up grade to the royal suites we spoke to the rep who told us that the people who wore blue shirt are managers so bear this in mind, we upgraded for a price to the royal suites which have four poster beds, and ours had a swim up pool, little things like having to get the safe fixed coffee but no kettle a iron but no iron board, little things . I was ill with the food from day 3 i watched as staff used hands to mix things spoons left out for hours then put back into fresh food, i dont think the pool gets cleaned either it stinks dont not take children god for bid if they are ill.

Room Tip: Pay the extra pay for Royal suites with swim up pool.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple