“Awesome Vacation! But watch out for the beach sellers...or the guys in blue shirts selling jewellery.”

Grand Palladium Punta Cana Resort & Spa
Ranked #42 of 111 Hotels in Punta Cana
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed October 21, 2012 via mobile

My boyfriend and I went to this resort at the end of June for a week. It was an AMAZING vacation and We had the best time! The people from the Dominican are very the friendly and will get to know you by your first name and will ALWAYS remember you and greet you when they see you.

The food at this resort is incredible! Just limit yourself to the rich fruits. Try the Brazilian a la carte! It's delicious! And the drinks are very tasty. They pour the right amount of rum everytime.

The beach is the best part of the whole vacation! Spend as much time there as you can. It's beautiful!

The only downside is the beach sellers interrupting your relaxation at the beach and the guys in the blue shirts trying to sell you jewellery around the main pool/lobby. They are very nice but they also will say a necklace is 60 USD when they're really 7 USD for 3 at the Cigar Shops off resort. Don't fall for it like We did! Even if they are beautiful!

Don't forget to go ziplinging with Canopy Zipline Tours. That was a blast! Best thing We did there and the group such as Hector and his gang, put on a great show and give you as much information you need about the country! Also go on a safari and take the tour to Higuey, it gives you insight to the life of the Dominican. You also get to go to Macao Beach. That beach is the jewel to the island!

• Stayed June 2012
9 Thank caribbeannnn

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (606)
  • Greek first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
Durham, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 10, 2012

Went to this resort on 25th September 2012 and this review is very truthful, we arrived on the 25th September 2012 and where given purple bands with bavaro on then taken to the room whch was a standard room it was clean and tidy a little old fashioned but ok. We where there for 3 days until we noticed one of the main drains outside our room was blocked and smelt of sewage and was over flowing and heading towards our room, so we decided to see if i could up grade to the royal suites we spoke to the rep who told us that the people who wore blue shirt are managers so bear this in mind, we upgraded for a price to the royal suites which have four poster beds, and ours had a swim up pool, little things like having to get the safe fixed coffee but no kettle a iron but no iron board, little things . I was ill with the food from day 3 i watched as staff used hands to mix things spoons left out for hours then put back into fresh food, i dont think the pool gets cleaned either it stinks dont not take children god for bid if they are ill.

Room Tip: Pay the extra pay for Royal suites with swim up pool.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
9 Thank dawnt1962
New York City, New York
Reviewed October 4, 2012

First of all, i'll start by telling all of you that, if we have to go back we'll go back in heart bit.
Checking in wasn't so bad, had a little issue with having assign double beds when i requested a king. I went back to the lobby and Juan Jose took the matter as if it was his own.. Great Great customer service. It was me my wife and son and what i me and my wife loved the most was that, they treated my son like a king and that to us was the most important thing.
Food: delicious, great variety and many restaurant to choose from. No reservation required was great.
Lots of activities in the beach and pools area that, rarely anyone can get bored.
I read a lot of bad review before deciding, I'm glad i did not go by what they put. The only thing we did not like was that in the morning the lobbies were filled with hungry pushy salespeople that all you have to do is keep walking and ignore them and they'll leave you alone.
For you heading to this amazing complex make sure that at check in you ask for Juan Jose. When dinning ask for Bienbo, Miguel or Tomas, at lunch ask for Ramon and if you went to the buffet at the Bavaro side ask for Milvio and at last but not least, at the pool bar at punta cana ask for Gina.
have a great stay everyone...

3 Thank Drnegro23
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed October 1, 2012

Room: Aweful, Molding, Stained Beds, Could feel the wire of the bed and not a comfortable rest. Fridge don't work, TVs don't work, My mom's shower head didn't work, our toilet flush didn't work. We were group of 21 vacationing here for my sister's wedding. had over 10 rooms and they all had different issues. They gave most guests FLATS (2 level rooms), But, only a single floor with 2 sad double beds was provided to my family of 4 (couple and 2 kids: 5 & 12). When i asked them to fix it, they said "you get what you paid for." well, we paid the most ($3200 for our family). We arrived on Saturday when the hotel is filled with their own local people (very laud and rude) and they had given all the good rooms to them. Also, they kept insisting that we are Spanish just because of our skin color and didn't like it when we said that we are NOT and do not speak Spanish so they really stick to us. Also, we tipped like crazy and the service staff loved us but management and sales people gave us lots of attitude.

Food: OK, but stick to a few (Boiled Chicken, fruits, bread, coffee). Brizillian and Japanese restaurants were good. Carlos in Japanese restaurants is fantastic. I read that this place has air-conditioned restaurants. But, get this: they close it for lunch for 5 out of 7 days. So we stewed in our sweat eating lunch at the Beach Restaurant.

Beach: was good and water was perfect. The green and the view is very good. So we stuck to OCEAN and Pool Area (pool area was only bearable when locals didn't take over with their boobs and Make out sessions). These people have NO boundaries: Kids or no kids, they go at it like animals. My 12 year old son saw many boobs and humping couples. We've been to 5 star hotels and were happy to see NO TOP LESS sign in some areas and took our kids there. But here there was NO Limits: boobs everywhere.

Also: THEY CHARGE YOU $10 per person at airport to get in and $20 PER PERSON to get out and we paid $120 just to visit this sad sad place. We are Never again going to Dominican. That's a sure things.

Room Tip: FLATS (2 level rooms) are more bearable. Over all: Dirty Rooms.
6 Thank DORA123456
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed September 30, 2012

I just came back from this resort on Sat Sept 29. I couldn't have been happier to be back home. This was a bad exp from the start to finish. We (21 ppl) went to this resort from all over Canada from BC, Alberta to T.O. for my sister in law's wedding. Once we got to the resort it was a hassel to check in. My wife and 2 kid: 5 year old and 12 checked in and asked if they can at least put my mother in law beside us in the same area. Guy was nice and polite but stuck it up our :) at the end by giving us a room with 2 beds, a fridge that doesn’t work (NOT the FLAT that we asked for and most of our group got), Mattresses are trashed and squeek as you sleep. He than gave my mother in law a room that has a 2nd floor because she is all by herself. As we went to the rooms and found out that the 4 of us are in a single level room, we went back and tried to talk to the reception for a FLAT like my mother in law. Their explanation was that she paid more. Funny cause last I checked a single person in our package paid less than 4. Later on in the night as we all gathered to talk at dinner we found out that they put a single guy in the group in a 2 level room with 3 beds, 2 girls that were with us as well got a single bed :) that was funny we made fun of them. The groom's mom got a room that had no water or electricity. And all of us got fridges and TVs that don't work.

Moving on from the room disasters, we figured we have each other's company and the wedding to look forward too and that's all that mattered. But as you start going through the time in this resorts things really start to fall apart and get on ur nerve. This resort opens up to the locals and they come by the bus loads. They take over the pool, bar and restaurant. The food is extremely salty for ppl that care about their health, meat is filled with fat. Every thing is just soaked in fat and is served up to you. I found myself sticking to the fruits that were really the best.

We all waited for "the stake night" to have a nice BBQ that is done right but to make it perfect for us the restaurant was closed and when we asked they stated "we ran out of stake" YES :) Perfect.

You will also get harassed at every corner from the beach were ppl are trying to sell you boat rides, copter ride, dolphin, scuba it just keeps on coming. When you want to relax near the lobby there are ppl there wanting to sign you up for time share programs. I uploaded a picture of a guy that a girl in the group called him MR CREEPY :) cause he harassed all of us every day to sign up for a 40 min orientation. I was so pissed at one point I told him cause he came stood right beside me as I was drinking coffee in the afternoon after he tried to get me in the morning. I told him "I’m not happy in this resort, and will not come again, stop trying to sign me up" only to get a different approach from him stating that he is only after the commission to feed his family. JUST TOOOOO MUCH.

To make matters worse the lobbies are not air conditioned, at lunch time the buffet you go to is not air conditioned they only open the AC Buffet for the Locals when they are there at least 5 days in the week. It was just bad.

Now a tip for ppl that are going anyway be careful about ur towel paper cards that they give you. It looks SAD and it's made of paper but if you lose one of those at the check out they will charge you. Very very SAD. I was talking to the guy and he is saying its ok to lose your room card (which is programmed) but NOT the towel card (that is faded and made out of paper) they will charge you for that. The bad thing about that is after check out some ppl in the group said he did not request towel-Cards to be returned from them. So I don't know I think they make their own rules and target different ppl. Maybe because I had 2 kids so he figured its an easy grab to just ask for money...... I'm not really sure.

The shows that are held at night are SUPER SAD, don't even bother. We went to ONLY one that was called divas and it was supposed to have ppl that are look alike of singers but we laughed our "behinds" off, it looked like children came up with the show. I will upload a picture of Britney spears make sure to see how much she looks like her :)

There is no free internet in this joint. Well there is but only in the big lobby and its the worst Internet connection ever. I took my ipad to chill and let the chicks do all the talking in the lobby but man I was shocked at how bad the internet connection was. If you want internet in your room u need to pay 50 for a week, and I can't tell you if its fast or not cause I aint paying that.

Now that we got all the bad out of the way. Beach is clean, workers are polite. and the wedding was great from a guest's perspective. But the bride said they stuck it to them for the photos they ripped them off on that and few other things, I didn't want to get into details.

Room Tip: Hard to say which rooms are better cause the one we ended up in had very very very old mattresses th...
6 Thank Yasherif V
Kearney
Reviewed September 28, 2012

I was very nervous about going to the Grand Palladium Palace Resort & Spa in Punta Cana because the reviews were either horrible or wonderful. However, we had the best time. The resort is beyond beautiful-the grounds are immaculate.

The staff: The staff was so friendly, we joked with them and had conversations and they seemed to really appreciate that. Ransy at the pool bar was the best, he took such good care of us, was friendly and a lot of fun. Our trip had tipping included but we tipped extra anyway and that went a long way. They remembered us, because the staff all works at the different restaurants, and when we walked in, they treated us like rockstars. We never had an empty glass. Not everyone speaks great English, but they try. If you speak any Spanish at all, or attempt it, they really appreciate it.

Rooms: Very nice and ver clean. The bed was hard, but we were so tired from our daily activities that we had no problem sleeping. There were a few small ants in the bathroom, but we have ants in the states, it was really minor but I'm trying to give an honest review.

Food & Drinks: The drinks were great, the food was really good. At the lunch buffets they will make you a fresh hamburger, there's pizza, rice & beans, paella, nachos, lots of selection. Of the ala cart dinners, the Japanese was the best, followed by the Mexican. We had mixed results at the steakhouse, my meal wasn't fantastic but it must have been what I ordered because my friend's was great. The Brazillian place, the pork was the best, some of the other meats weren't great.

Beach/Pool/Activities: The sand on the beach was the best I've ever seen. The water is beautiful and the pool is amazing. We went on the zip line adventure and it was so fun, and I'm afraid of heights. We also parasailed, which was really cool and went scuba diving. The water was really rough that day and it was the coral spawn, so we didn't see as much as we would have liked, but those things are out of our control.

All in all, our group of 6 had a great time and would definitely go back.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
7 Thank Erica K
ottawa
Reviewed September 22, 2012

This property beats them all - the only reason it is not given a higher score is that people do not take time to write the reviews because they are happy and are returning guests like me
I have been going there for 5 winters - my next trip is December 2012 with friend
Check our the number of restaurants - cant beat this - the menues are posted on palladium addicts
Not because you are staying in the bavaro section does not mean you cannot walk over to the other buffets even to make a change in the morning and for taking the time to walk the grounds and admire the grounds. People who are negative are just trying to get something in return for free.

This property has lots to offer - people write your reviews
Gracias

Room Tip: check the map of the resort on palladium addicts
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled with friends