“Very Very SAD: We looked like Dollar signs to Salespeople, Dirty Rooms”

Grand Palladium Punta Cana Resort & Spa
Ranked #42 of 112 Hotels in Punta Cana
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Toronto, Canada
“Very Very SAD: We looked like Dollar signs to Salespeople, Dirty Rooms”
Reviewed October 1, 2012

Room: Aweful, Molding, Stained Beds, Could feel the wire of the bed and not a comfortable rest. Fridge don't work, TVs don't work, My mom's shower head didn't work, our toilet flush didn't work. We were group of 21 vacationing here for my sister's wedding. had over 10 rooms and they all had different issues. They gave most guests FLATS (2 level rooms), But, only a single floor with 2 sad double beds was provided to my family of 4 (couple and 2 kids: 5 & 12). When i asked them to fix it, they said "you get what you paid for." well, we paid the most ($3200 for our family). We arrived on Saturday when the hotel is filled with their own local people (very laud and rude) and they had given all the good rooms to them. Also, they kept insisting that we are Spanish just because of our skin color and didn't like it when we said that we are NOT and do not speak Spanish so they really stick to us. Also, we tipped like crazy and the service staff loved us but management and sales people gave us lots of attitude.

Food: OK, but stick to a few (Boiled Chicken, fruits, bread, coffee). Brizillian and Japanese restaurants were good. Carlos in Japanese restaurants is fantastic. I read that this place has air-conditioned restaurants. But, get this: they close it for lunch for 5 out of 7 days. So we stewed in our sweat eating lunch at the Beach Restaurant.

Beach: was good and water was perfect. The green and the view is very good. So we stuck to OCEAN and Pool Area (pool area was only bearable when locals didn't take over with their boobs and Make out sessions). These people have NO boundaries: Kids or no kids, they go at it like animals. My 12 year old son saw many boobs and humping couples. We've been to 5 star hotels and were happy to see NO TOP LESS sign in some areas and took our kids there. But here there was NO Limits: boobs everywhere.

Also: THEY CHARGE YOU $10 per person at airport to get in and $20 PER PERSON to get out and we paid $120 just to visit this sad sad place. We are Never again going to Dominican. That's a sure things.

Room Tip: FLATS (2 level rooms) are more bearable. Over all: Dirty Rooms.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
6 Thank DORA123456

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (609)
  • Czech first
  • Greek first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed September 30, 2012

I just came back from this resort on Sat Sept 29. I couldn't have been happier to be back home. This was a bad exp from the start to finish. We (21 ppl) went to this resort from all over Canada from BC, Alberta to T.O. for my sister in law's wedding. Once we got to the resort it was a hassel to check in. My wife and 2 kid: 5 year old and 12 checked in and asked if they can at least put my mother in law beside us in the same area. Guy was nice and polite but stuck it up our :) at the end by giving us a room with 2 beds, a fridge that doesn’t work (NOT the FLAT that we asked for and most of our group got), Mattresses are trashed and squeek as you sleep. He than gave my mother in law a room that has a 2nd floor because she is all by herself. As we went to the rooms and found out that the 4 of us are in a single level room, we went back and tried to talk to the reception for a FLAT like my mother in law. Their explanation was that she paid more. Funny cause last I checked a single person in our package paid less than 4. Later on in the night as we all gathered to talk at dinner we found out that they put a single guy in the group in a 2 level room with 3 beds, 2 girls that were with us as well got a single bed :) that was funny we made fun of them. The groom's mom got a room that had no water or electricity. And all of us got fridges and TVs that don't work.

Moving on from the room disasters, we figured we have each other's company and the wedding to look forward too and that's all that mattered. But as you start going through the time in this resorts things really start to fall apart and get on ur nerve. This resort opens up to the locals and they come by the bus loads. They take over the pool, bar and restaurant. The food is extremely salty for ppl that care about their health, meat is filled with fat. Every thing is just soaked in fat and is served up to you. I found myself sticking to the fruits that were really the best.

We all waited for "the stake night" to have a nice BBQ that is done right but to make it perfect for us the restaurant was closed and when we asked they stated "we ran out of stake" YES :) Perfect.

You will also get harassed at every corner from the beach were ppl are trying to sell you boat rides, copter ride, dolphin, scuba it just keeps on coming. When you want to relax near the lobby there are ppl there wanting to sign you up for time share programs. I uploaded a picture of a guy that a girl in the group called him MR CREEPY :) cause he harassed all of us every day to sign up for a 40 min orientation. I was so pissed at one point I told him cause he came stood right beside me as I was drinking coffee in the afternoon after he tried to get me in the morning. I told him "I’m not happy in this resort, and will not come again, stop trying to sign me up" only to get a different approach from him stating that he is only after the commission to feed his family. JUST TOOOOO MUCH.

To make matters worse the lobbies are not air conditioned, at lunch time the buffet you go to is not air conditioned they only open the AC Buffet for the Locals when they are there at least 5 days in the week. It was just bad.

Now a tip for ppl that are going anyway be careful about ur towel paper cards that they give you. It looks SAD and it's made of paper but if you lose one of those at the check out they will charge you. Very very SAD. I was talking to the guy and he is saying its ok to lose your room card (which is programmed) but NOT the towel card (that is faded and made out of paper) they will charge you for that. The bad thing about that is after check out some ppl in the group said he did not request towel-Cards to be returned from them. So I don't know I think they make their own rules and target different ppl. Maybe because I had 2 kids so he figured its an easy grab to just ask for money...... I'm not really sure.

The shows that are held at night are SUPER SAD, don't even bother. We went to ONLY one that was called divas and it was supposed to have ppl that are look alike of singers but we laughed our "behinds" off, it looked like children came up with the show. I will upload a picture of Britney spears make sure to see how much she looks like her :)

There is no free internet in this joint. Well there is but only in the big lobby and its the worst Internet connection ever. I took my ipad to chill and let the chicks do all the talking in the lobby but man I was shocked at how bad the internet connection was. If you want internet in your room u need to pay 50 for a week, and I can't tell you if its fast or not cause I aint paying that.

Now that we got all the bad out of the way. Beach is clean, workers are polite. and the wedding was great from a guest's perspective. But the bride said they stuck it to them for the photos they ripped them off on that and few other things, I didn't want to get into details.

Room Tip: Hard to say which rooms are better cause the one we ended up in had very very very old mattresses th...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
6 Thank Yasherif V
Kearney
Reviewed September 28, 2012

I was very nervous about going to the Grand Palladium Palace Resort & Spa in Punta Cana because the reviews were either horrible or wonderful. However, we had the best time. The resort is beyond beautiful-the grounds are immaculate.

The staff: The staff was so friendly, we joked with them and had conversations and they seemed to really appreciate that. Ransy at the pool bar was the best, he took such good care of us, was friendly and a lot of fun. Our trip had tipping included but we tipped extra anyway and that went a long way. They remembered us, because the staff all works at the different restaurants, and when we walked in, they treated us like rockstars. We never had an empty glass. Not everyone speaks great English, but they try. If you speak any Spanish at all, or attempt it, they really appreciate it.

Rooms: Very nice and ver clean. The bed was hard, but we were so tired from our daily activities that we had no problem sleeping. There were a few small ants in the bathroom, but we have ants in the states, it was really minor but I'm trying to give an honest review.

Food & Drinks: The drinks were great, the food was really good. At the lunch buffets they will make you a fresh hamburger, there's pizza, rice & beans, paella, nachos, lots of selection. Of the ala cart dinners, the Japanese was the best, followed by the Mexican. We had mixed results at the steakhouse, my meal wasn't fantastic but it must have been what I ordered because my friend's was great. The Brazillian place, the pork was the best, some of the other meats weren't great.

Beach/Pool/Activities: The sand on the beach was the best I've ever seen. The water is beautiful and the pool is amazing. We went on the zip line adventure and it was so fun, and I'm afraid of heights. We also parasailed, which was really cool and went scuba diving. The water was really rough that day and it was the coral spawn, so we didn't see as much as we would have liked, but those things are out of our control.

All in all, our group of 6 had a great time and would definitely go back.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
7 Thank Erica K
ottawa
Reviewed September 22, 2012

This property beats them all - the only reason it is not given a higher score is that people do not take time to write the reviews because they are happy and are returning guests like me
I have been going there for 5 winters - my next trip is December 2012 with friend
Check our the number of restaurants - cant beat this - the menues are posted on palladium addicts
Not because you are staying in the bavaro section does not mean you cannot walk over to the other buffets even to make a change in the morning and for taking the time to walk the grounds and admire the grounds. People who are negative are just trying to get something in return for free.

This property has lots to offer - people write your reviews
Gracias

Room Tip: check the map of the resort on palladium addicts
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled with friends
2 Thank speedy255
uk
Reviewed September 19, 2012

My husband and I have just returned from the most fantastic holiday ever. The Palladium Bavaro was faultless. The booking in was fast, with a bell boy to take the cases into your room !, the room was of an excellent standard with double jacuzzi bath, double sinks, shower and seperate toilet, the mini bar was fully stocked daily and the beds and towels changed daily also. The staff extremely friendly and couldnt be more helpfull, especially Fransisco, Isadora and Luis in the lobby bar who helped to make the most enjoyable evenings we have ever had on a holiday, so a massive Thank You to them. The food was second to none especially the Al La Carte restaurants which were out of this world with a fantastic standard of food,(men remember to take long trousers with you to get into them) the buffet restaurants also had everything you could think of, and the beach restaurant also with its stunning views over the beach. The grounds were manicured beyond belief and everywhere spotless, even the beach was raked daily to clear the seaweed which was washed up on shore over night. The pools were lovely, plenty of seats around the pool in both shade and sun. Although this is a large resort getting around was made easy with a train constantly running and the golf buggies driven by the bell boys who were always happy to drop us off where ever we needed. The lookey lookey men on the beach were not at all offensive infact we had some fun conversations with some of them, especially Roberto Blanco!!. We will definately be returning, we cannot comment highly enough.

Room Tip: Standard rooms are slightly smaller than other rooms, and only have a single jacuzzi so may be worth...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank UkSueP
Toronto, Ontario
Reviewed September 17, 2012

check in
We booked the punta cana section but that lobby is under construction so it was handled by the palace lobby. Not that it mattered much but never were we served drinks upon check in. However the check in was really quick as we were the only group getting off our airport shuttle. Arriving on saturday there was a huge flux of locals who i assume must get great discounts to stay here. We booked (3) 30yr old males in 1 room. All the had available was a jacuzzi room in 4000 block with a single king sized bed? Atleast i would expect two doubles or a king or queen and pull out with a closed concept bathroom....Couldnt upgrade to a loft until monday after locals checked out....fail
Rooms/sleep
The room itself was ok, nothing fancy 27" tube tv with the colour bleeding and calibration out of whack. jacuzzi worked well.... pillows were comfy, got a "temp" bed with a proper mattress on a metal bed frame. Mattress was comfy aswell. Only negative was the balcony door did not seal on the top and we didnt figure out how the vicious mosquitos were getting in and eating us alive constantly. Remedied by a towel wedged between on the last night.
Property/grounds
From the lobby to the streets to the walkways and pools. This resort was a pleasure to experience. It was always clean grass and flowers always manicured. All the flowers were labbeled with names and the country they come from. Punta cana lobby aswell as some rooms in the bavaro section. It didnt in the slightest ruin my experience as it was not noisy and not in places that you would be near daily
Pool
For what its worth, palace pool was the only pool with a pulse, punta cana, bavaro and royal suites were dead or "quiet" for those that wanted to sleep on vacation. But again who wants to be at a pool when the beach is a minute walk...
Beach
This resort had a huge beach front 4 resorts wide across the beach as opposed to the gran bahia which was 1/3 of:-)our beach front. No sea weed residue on the sand. No matter what time of day i went to the beach there were always chairs available and plenty of areas with shade to choose from. We walked from grand palladium palace past, occidental, princess hotels, vik, ocean blue, iberostar, riu and grand bahia. By far i think the best beach of all would be between the vik and punta cana princess resorts. iberostar was filthy from the reefs the must have infront of their resort. I didnt even wanna walk on the wash up let alone touch the water there. Palladiums beach was excellent.
Buffets were good nothing to complain about, only ever did breakfast once an used them solely for lunch. Al la carte were great. No reservations was a big bonus. Brazilian was alot of meat but good 8/10, Japanese cooked before your eyes 9/10, steakhouse attended twice 10/10, italian 6/10 didnt think it was great. Other a la cartes didnt really care to try after the italian...
Location
This is right outside of plaza bavaro, close to mangu, close to arieto, close to shop and drink, close to greek sports bar. Its a huge:-)resort in what i think is the best location

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
4 Thank GTA_G20
Virginia Beach, Virginia
Reviewed September 1, 2012

My family & I just returned from the best vacation of our lives. The people at the resort were very friendly. There were a variety of very good restaurants to choose a really good meal and so many fun activities to participate in. The resort consist of four resorts in one. But don't worry there's a train that runs through every 20 minutes. So you walk only by choice. There was even a bus that took us to the mall. I took the advice of another trip advisor who suggested to book a room in building 4000 and they were right. This put us in the middle of everything. We raved about the great time we had to our family members back in the states and now they want to plan a family trip for next year. So Grand Palladium Here we Come!
C. D. Jackson USA

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
6 Thank Carolyn J
Rsegarra, General Manager at Grand Palladium Punta Cana Resort & Spa, responded to this review, September 7, 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your possitive comments and feedback regarding your last stay at the Grand Palladium Punta Cana, at the same time I would also like to thank for having chosen Palladium hotels & Resorts for your vacation.

We are extremelly happy to hear that your experience among us has been a very good one. It is our aim to provide the best service at all times, creating memorable experiences that will last long after our guest’s stay at our resort.

Please do not hesitate to contact us for any information you could require.

We are loking forward to host you again in the near future.

Kind regards,