“Great for the money”

GreenLeadersPlatinum level
toronto
“Great for the money”
Reviewed January 26, 2011

We've traveled to many all inclusives over the years. We are a 40 year old couple, and this time brought my husband's mother with us (76 years old).

I can't understand anyone who says the people are not friendly. The people were wonderful and always saying 'hola' if they walked by you. They always smiled when serving us.

Arrival:
30 minutes by bus from airport. Checked in at 2pm room not ready so went for lunch and came back. Check in is at 3pm usually.

Room
Had the loft suite. Was just like in the pictures. Nice, but a little worn. Musty smell in room (not too bad). Occasionally had a sulfur smell through the room from time to time seemed to come after someone had a shower (although in the shower smelt fine).
The loft room was nice with the two levels (upper level had 2 double beds, although you can get just a king size). Upper level also had a table, TV, luggage rack, bedside table, and iPod dock. Wall plugs are recessed so you may want to bring an extension cord (standard North American voltage and plugs). Minibar restocked with water, coke, coke light, fanta orange, sprite, and presidente beer.

Pools
One for every section. Palace section was a little more active (aerobics in
afternoon). Music playing most of the day. Not too bad though..we just tried to sit away from the speakers and it wasn't too loud. Pool was nice, and there was a small swim-up bar (we felt it needed more seating for the number of guests). Occasionally waiters would come by the lounge chairs around the pool to take drink orders. This was not as frequent as at some other resorts we've been to. There was also guys coming around to sell tours (they have a hut near the towel bar). The pools seemed to be busier in the afternoon (seemed everyone went to the beach during the morning, early afternoon, then to the pool area which was hotter in the late afternoon).

Beach
Nice large beach, good for walking along. Sand was soft and nice under the feet in the water also. No waiters coming by to take drink orders (although you are never very far from the bar huts). Beach bar drinks are limited (no mohitos!!). You are frequently chatted up by vendors (tours, jewelry etc). Not enough washrooms nearby (2 stalls for the whole beach/pool area)

Was better than average (although not the best we've had). Only went to one a la carte (Brazilian) and it was not that great (very salty). The buffets were better, nice selection of foods (I loved the veggie pizza). For lunch go to the Punta Cana side buffet restaurant (El Behique), much better selection than the beach bar buffet at the palace side. Also, no wait for a table (the beach buffet was always overcrowded and the selection was not as good). The El Behique is less than a 5 minute walk. The buffet breakfast and dinner at the palace was good (Karina our waitress was really nice and funny!).

Sports bar...went once..philly cheesesteak was good...little salty...but if you need a snack, it had better selection than most places had for 24 hour service.

Drinks
Average for all inclusives. Lobby bar was better for most things. Mohitos were only available there. Had a whiskey sour which was on the menu (was nothing like I've had), very sweet and not very sour! At dinner could only have soft drinks, beer or wine. Surprisingly the house wines were not bad (had the red and the rose).

Casino
This is a joke really. But if you just want to pass some time it is a distraction. I played the 5 cent slots just for fun. We spoke to a couple who lost $20,000 on eight ball roulette. Don't do it!...they suck you in and then take your money!!

Shows
Went to two. The Micheal Jackson was quite good (for a resort show) as well as the Celebrity Impersonation show. (although a black Brittany Spears was strange!)

Train
Resort train was cramped and they need to have two of them! We would rather walk. Going from the Bavaro lobby to the palace area was only a 10 minute walk along one of the side roads.

Overall it was a good resort for the money.

2 Thank eyecancun

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (550)
  • Czech first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed January 25, 2011

Awesome Resort. Went to a wedding held on the beach which was stunning. Service everywhere was great. I would access internet in the main lobby and servers would bring a coffee to me every morning. Beach was awesome but not much aquatic life for snorkeling.

The only complaint would be the wait for the specialty restaurants. Sports bar was great and open 24 hours and disco was rocking every night

• Stayed January 2011
3 Thank DCARDS
Connecticut
Reviewed January 24, 2011

We just got back from an impromptu 5 day "get out of the snow" vacation. I read about this place on trip advisor and saw just one bad review, and my daughter stayed at a Grand Galladium in Aruba. The great things were the variety of restaurants, (the Italian one was the best), the outdoor facilities, (tennis, pingpong, mini golf, lots of room for going for a run, three pools, etc). The room was clean, but the bed was TERRIBLE!!. A thin mattress, you could feel the springs, the sheets were thready thin and an awful spread. It reminded me of a divy super 8 bed. I think, the condition and quality of the linens should be really important to a large corporation like this!
The staff was hot and cold, some were really nice, and others seemed like they just tolerate the guests. The beach was small and soooo crowded!!
The weather was great, and it was a short stay, so not too bad, but this place for us is a "One and Done"

2 Thank HoytieToytie
New York City, New York
Reviewed January 24, 2011

Let me first say that I have never written a review for anything on the internet, but after my stay here, I felt compelled to write one to help others avoid this place.

Since I have never written a review before I will try my best to make it clear and to the point.

Service: The service was poor overall. There were many occasions where we would go to the buffet only to sit and eat an entire meal without a waiter approaching us asking for a drink, or even giving us water. One thing we noticed were the male employees (I'm also a male) were much more cordial and polite than the females, who would roll their eyes at you or make a rude comment as they walked away quite frequently. No clue why, but after awhile it was really starting to strike a nerve with me.

There was also an insect issue in our room near the bathroom sink area. Our second night we noticed hundreds of ants crawling all over the sink when we had returned from the beach. We had killed about 200 of them and called the front desk who said they would send maintenance right away. 45 minutes later the maintenance people had arrived, looked and then said he would send housekeeping over the clean the area again. Two hours later we were still waiting for housekeeping and no one showed up. We killed more ants and decided to just go to dinner. This issue continued for 4 days and the hotel didnt do anything, and each time we called but tell us that housekeeping would use bug spray in the area next time. Eventually, I was fed up and called the front desk demanding to speak to the manager, the person who answered the phone said in Spanish to the manager, "Some f*ggot wants to speak to you." I guess they should teach their staff to use the hold button.

Food: Ok, the food was horrible and I am actually stunned after reading other Tripadvisor reviews stating that the food was good. Seriously? We had went to 4 a la carte restaurants and they were all pretty bad with the Brazilian being the absolute worst, El Quijote's food was also inedible, and the Hibachi being the best (but still pretty bad).

Eventually, we had enough of the a la carte restaurants and decided to just stick with the buffets for the rest of the trip. The food at the buffets were also pretty bad with extremely dry chicken being the norm. One night we had went to bed hungry because the only edible items were green beans and french fries. Hooray.

Beach: The beach was absolutely beautiful, but unfortunately it was nearly impossible to relax with all the natives combing the beach hassling the tourists trying to sell excursions and other crap. Yea, I understand it's a very poor country but when you are disturbing people who are sleeping, relaxing, or reading a book on the beach you are crossing the line. Beware, 90% of these people are all hucksters who demand cash upfront and dont deliver. Luckily we had a great travel agent (Juan Carlos from Hotel Beds) who went to great lengths to make sure everything he could possibly control went flawlessly).

Pools: The pools were nice. We had stayed at the Palace part of the hotel but hated going to our pool we would be annoyed by people (who the hotel permitted on premises) from Rancho Treme trying to sell us ATV rides and other crap who could not take "no" for an answer. They eventually started making comments to my girlfriend which made her uncomfortable like "Americans are liars" "Americans are rich and dont care about anything but themselves" because we wouldnt buy anything from them.

Casino: What casino? It is a shoddy room with about 30 slot machines, but only about 15-20 actually work. There are some tables, but there is only one game going on if any at a time. It was a sad excuse for a casino compared to an actual casino.

Spa: The spa was nice if you could find a seat around the pool. The jacuzzi tubs were cold and the staff was rude. My girlfriend was inquiring about a massage for the two of us and the girl kept rolling her eyes and when we were walking away she had said in Spanish "she asks too many questions."

Pros: the grounds were always impeccable and the beach was beautiful

Cons: everything else

1 Thank jerseyjohn17
Rsegarra, Manager at Grand Palladium Palace Resort Spa & Casino, responded to this review, January 31, 2011
We want to thanks for time in to write This review. We will take all this comments very seriously. This is our best tool to improve our services, and help us to do our job better.Thanks for this comments ¡¡¡.

By this way, I want to apologize for the fact that reviewer did not enjoyed their stay in our hotel, however, there is some comments in this review that i want to mention and analize .

I can understand that there is some issues in this review that should never happen, and maybe someone can have a bad general impression of our resort for this. This is not the standards that we are triyng to offer to all our guests.

Despite i apologize for some of this complaints there are some ones that i would like to comment.

For exemple, I think that the fact that a guest did not enjoyed our meals, does not mean that in this resort the food is not good. Is difficult for us to understand why a guest did not enjoyed any meal of our 6 restaurants buffet style , 7 restaurants "a la carte", sports bar, beach paellas etc... I respect 100% this opinion but i think that this is a personal question.......

Is also very hard to read that dominican staff did not treated someone properly. As every body knows, dominican people is always smailyng, fiendly and happy. We will take this in to consideration and we will check with our staff what happened. I apollogize for the call regarding the room issue, I can assure that we will investigate the concern and we will take the appropiate measures.

Please, do not take this as dissent of this review, but rather with the intention of knowing more of guests experiences and improving day by day using our guests comments.

I would like that in the future, guest will give us a new opportunity to show that this hotel is a good product.

Thanks
Chambersburg, Pennsylvania
Reviewed January 17, 2011

We stayed at the Royal Suites, the adults only portion of the resort. The facilities were very clean! Lounge chairs were plentiful on the beach, and drinks were served on the beach too! The food was excellent and the service was friendly. We were each in Punta Cana before and stayed at other resorts; we definitlely reccommend the Royal Suites!

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank aeglobetrotter
Ontario, Canada
Reviewed January 16, 2011

My wife and I just got back from the Grand Palladium Palace and we both agreed that out of every resort we have been to (63 trips down south so far, including 16 to Dominican Republic), this is the most beautiful. It is also one of the largest, which is why we chose it. We have been to the Grand Palladium in Mayan which is very similar, but this one has Punta Cana beach which is the best. We always choose the biggest resort that we can find because it allows so many options. People who like everything in one small hotel - this place is definitely not for you! There is a lot of walking to do here!

The most incredible thing is the amazing gardens. These are the best so far out of all our trips. There is such attention to detail.

ROOM: We have had better rooms, but this one was also very nice. The bathroom area is a little small, but that is because of the big jacuzzi tub in the middle of the room (which nobody ever uses, including us).

FOOD: Like every other good all inclusive that we have been to, the food is "OK". It is really hard to get 5 star food when you pay the prices that we expect to pay. There is a really great selection and always something that we liked to eat. The a-la-carte restaurants were pretty good, particularly the Mexican, which we thought was the best. We liked the a-la-carte system where you don't make reservations. You put your name in and they give you a flashing disk that lights up when your table is ready. This can take up to an hour, but we sat in the closest bar and had a drink or two while waiting. Twice we actually walked right in without waiting for a table. The chicken wings in the Sports bar were really tasty, just like at home.

POOLS: There are 4 pools to chose from and all of them are really great. We liked the Palace pool the best.

BARS: We found that we never waited for more than a few seconds before we got served. Unlike almost everyone else we noticed, we tip a US dollar for our drinks (we bring $100 in ones for a week of tipping). It is such a shame that other people don't tip - the staff really work hard and are the friendliest people on the planet!

BEACH: Punta Cana beach is one of the three best beaches we have ever been to. Aruba and Varadero are the other two. Aruba has American style hotels (I can see this by staying home) and Varadero has unedible food (they should send people there that want to lose weight). So in our opinion, this is the NUMBER 1 location to be.

STAFF: We always find that the staff in Dominican go out of there way to make you feel welcome. The bar staff, restaurants, reception, maids, etc. were all super friendly.

Normally we try a different hotel on every trip, just for the adventure, but we absolutely loved this hotel and will probably go back again.

2 Thank canadatraveladdict
Toronto, Ontario
Reviewed January 14, 2011

I was hired to photograph a wedding and stayed at this resort for one week with the wedding party.

Overall, my experience here was very good. This is a VERY large resort - it's really a combination of three resorts and depending on where you stay, you can have access to all three, including restaurants, bars, etc.

On the first night I was put in one of the older rooms in the 68 block, some of the furthest from the beach. These rooms are much older than the ones closer to the beach and have a musty smell. Our light fixture was broken, but when one of the staff noticed upon delivering our suitcases (since we didn't notice), he called it in to maintenance and it was fixed within the hour. We were promptly moved to a different room once the bride complained about the smell of ours. I would avoid the 68 block of rooms altogether if you can.

I was then moved to some newer rooms which were much nicer and closer to the beach.

PROS
- Good service
- Well kept facilities, rooms, grounds, etc.
- Beautiful lush vegetation
- Friendly housekeeping and maintenance staff
- Nice bathrooms, whirl pool tubs, etc.
- Beautiful stretch of beach
- Nice pool
- Great food, even at the buffets! I loved eating at the buffets because there was so much variety. Staff were always friendly and pleasant.

CONS
- Breakfast is from 7-10am, lunch from 12-4pm and dinner from 6:30pm into the evening...this left a lot of gaps where if you had not managed to eat, you would go hungry! There were always little snacks at the bars (bread rolls, cheese, sliced meat, cookies) which would sate you until the next meal, but still, we found this frustrating
- Busy beach... get there early to get a lounger!
- Drinks weren't mixed enough...all the rum would be at the top or bottom. Still good though! Banana mamas are a fave.
- LOUD "animacion" activities on the beach featuring lots of annoying repetitive music. If you're hoping to listen to the waves, don't bother between 11am and 1pm when this is going on.
- The "shark tank" -- a series of souvenir shops - line one end of the beach. You will be HOUNDED by the sellers when you walk by. I always felt mean ignoring them, but really if you don't want to get sucked into their store, it's your best bet to pretend you don't hear them calling after you.
- WIFI is only in the lobby

And that's all I can think of!
I would definitely recommend this hotel to friends.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled on business