“Great vacation”

GreenLeadersPlatinum level
montreal
“Great vacation”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 21, 2013

What a great week, went to the Grand Palladium Palace from Aug 11 to the 18th, and had a wonderful time. Beautiful beaches, great food and our rooms (Block 93) were right around the corner from the beach and pool. We booked 2 rooms as we were a family of 4 ( 3adt and 1 teen) and our rooms were across from eachother which was great.
The rooms are spacious and clean. Really nothing to complain about. The only comment is that the WIFI in the lobby even though it was free; did not work really well, it was difficult to connect. The nightly shows were Ok, nothing to write home about.
The staff is not fully bilingual and unless you speak some spanish, you will have a hard time communicating, a translation dictionary will be very handy. All in all a wonderful vacation. Will recommend this one.

Room Tip: Ask for block 93 to 96 closest rooms to the pool and beach. The hotel only has 2 floors so either fl...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank love2travelMontreal
ltajes, Manager at Grand Palladium Palace Resort Spa & Casino, responded to this review, August 29, 2013
Dear love2travelMontreal,

We are really thankful for you’re the precious time you dedicate to share your good experiences in the hotel with us.

It is a satisfaction to know that you enjoyed your stay at our resort and that we have totally satisfied your needs.

We look forward for your return.

Greetings.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (499)
  • Czech first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 19, 2013

This is the second time me and my bf came here , why? CAUSE ITS AMAZING! First, the service is outrageous, they treat u like your a king & queen ! The best part of this resort is that it feels like your really on vacation! There's villas here , not those hotels u get fed up of! Special thanks to JORGE enc. public relation ! He helped us so much and acted like a brother !!! Waiters/waitresses/ bartenders were great ! Made amazing drinks. You would wanna come back , trust me !!

• Stayed August 2013
1 Thank AnamAmato
ltajes, Manager at Grand Palladium Palace Resort Spa & Casino, responded to this review, August 20, 2013
Dear AnamAmato,

We are really thankful for the precious time you dedicate to share your good experiences in the hotel with us.

We look forward for your return.

Thank you very much.
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 14, 2013

When you request an e-mail for the General Manager or CEO of the company and you are told no three different times - you begin to understand they do not care what people think. My partner and I spent 5 days there recently. The property was nice but not anything fabulous. We stayed in their exclusive section.
During the week - room service in the morning took an hour - just to get coffee. Why not OPEN the pool bars or hotel lobby and have good coffee.
The buffets began to all taste the same. There exclusive restaurants were mostly buffets (ugh). Their Asian Bamboo restaurant was not and it was very nice. There french restaurant was also a la carte and pretty good. In each restaurant I was willing to try South American Red wines. No one in any of the restaurants spoke enough English or understood the wine list except to state the name of the wine.....
Do not order the red wine in the room - $ 50.00 a bottle for a $ 10. bottle of wine.
Their brand new 5 star spa---- $ 90. for a manicure and pedicure. They had IKEA chairs for the customer to set in, the soaking bowls for your feet were inexpensive vanity sinks, the hair stations were relocated from elsewhere and were rusted. The windows were dirty.
The Men's and Women's locker rooms are only marked from the entrance side. We entered the pool area from the reception area. When my partner went to take a shower he did not know which was which. He took a shower in the Women's locker room.

While in the Dominican Republic we visited Club Melia - a real 5 star resort. Look them up before you make a reservation at Palladium. If you are going to spend $ 2,600 for 5 days with airfare you might as well get the best for your money.
By the way ..do not use Southwest Vacations
I had a $ 600. gift card on Southwest after making all the arrangements I was told I could not use it. That Southwest Vacations is not part of Southwest...(??) rip off. Secondly, we paid for car service to and from the airport (paid in advance). They never showed up to take us back to the airport. When we were initially dropped off the driver stated - you need to be here 2 hours before your flight to get the ride back to the airport. When we finally found someone to help us. They stated the car was there an hour before. Our response. we were in our room the entire time why would someone not pick up a house phone?? We had to take a cab back to the airport. It was $ 20. less than what we were charged for a one way trip....I called Southwest Vacations upon our return. Of course had to leave a voice mail. Still waiting for a returned call...

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Tom B
Dear Tom B,

Received a warm greeting from the staff of Grand Palladium Punta Cana Resort, Spa y Casino, we want to thank you for dedicating your time to share your experiences concerning your stay.

We apologize for our services and that we do not full fill you expectations as well. All comments are very important for us, which is a valuable tool for us to continue improving.

Thanks you very much,

Best Regards.
Montreal, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 13, 2013

We stayed at Grand Palladium Palace for 2 weeks. In general we were happy - the rooms are ok - we asked and got rooms in villa 81 and had amazing ocean view. Eduard and Miguel at the front desk were very helpful and we had no problems communicating with them in English.

The resort was clean and nice, you can do a lot of walking but at night not enough lights. Our villa was very well located, close to the beach, pools, buffets, restaurants. There is free transportation all over the resorts and we liked that we could go anywhere from Palace to Bavaro.

AC worked well but set to stop when balcony door was open, minibar was stocked daily with water, soft drinks and beer, rooms were clean.

It was extremely hot and the fans in the lobby were not blowing enough air. The free WiFi worked ok in the lobby and if you want to buy daily passes it works also

The beach was nice and very clean, we're not the ones to sit under the umbrellas but we saw that people came at 6 am to put their towels on those lounge chairs and then disappear for hours.

We found drinks ok but not crazy about food/ french fries were made from frozen, beef was very hard anywhere we tried it. But there is a lot of variety so for sure everything is about taste. If you re used to have coffee with cream, forget about it - they never heard about it. They can offer you milk but that's it.

The only real complaint we have is about the restaurants - the way you can do a reservation is something that we never saw - at the steakhouse or Italian you have to go and be ready to eat starting 6PM whenever they will get you in. If you want a specific time there is no way and they are not nice.
So we gave up on those 2. We tried Japanese rest, Brazilian & Mediterranean - all very good.
Everywhere we went before we could make reservations at the front desk in the morning or by phone, but not this resort. Everybody was complaining about this system and they were right.

Shows were something to laugh about, in 2 weeks we liked about 4 nights, and the guy that presented the shows tried to speak English, French, German but all sounded the same, more like anything else for anybody in the audience, people were laughing as nobody understood a word.

We did one trip - the Dolphin Experience and we liked it.

We liked the staff, the resort, the beach - definitely would go back. But unfortunately won't try again to go to any a la carte restaurants, something like that shouldn't happen in any resort.

Room Tip: Rooms in Villas 81, 82, 91 or 92 . We had room # 8103 amazing ocean views
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Alexa42_10
Dear Alexa42_10,

From the staff Grand Palladium Punta Cana Resort, Spa y Casino we want to thank you for dedicating your time to share your experiences concerning your stay.

Thank you for choosing our Resort and thanks for highlighting these details; we are working to improve everyday.

Once again thank you very much,

Dyer, Indiana, United States
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 4, 2013

My husband and I along with another couple decided to stay at this resort for our 10 year anniversary. The first day we arrived everything seemed great. The rooms were nice, but nothing to brag about. The resort itself was beautiful and was constitantly being cleaned. We were told on arrival that the Japanese restaurant was the only one that you needed a reservation for. We decided to go to the Italian restaurant and waited over 2 hours for a table. The hostess was beyond rude. She told us 10 tables were before us, but people kept on getting seated. Several people actually walked out because they were also waiting so long. There must have been 20 tables that were seated before us. By the time we were seated and the waitress decided to greet us with her presence we were all in a bad mood. The waitress was beyond rude. She wouldnt even let us ask questions about the menu. Needless to say I thought I orderd steak when it came out it was fish. I didn't eat dinner that evening. While we waiting we asked to make a reservation for the steakhouse for the next evening. We were informed that we could come back the next evening at 5:30 to do that. Well we did and we were then informed they didn't take reservations. Either we were lied to or it was because we were Americans. We had the best service at the buffets. All of the waiters were extremely nice. We tipped everyone that waited on us or gave us a ride within the resort. We ate at the Mexican buffet on our 2nd to last night since we got back from our buggy adventure late since the time was changed on us. Everyone in my party ate the chicken except for me. The next day they were all deathly sick. This day was also our last full day there and my anniversary. This was a huge upset since we were suppose to be celebrating. My husband was able to mark it out in spirts, but we never saw the other couple til the next day when we had to leave.

The couple we went with found a giant cockroach in their room. The caught it under a glass. They went to the front desk to complain and they really didn't seem to care. They didn't apologize. They only went to their room to remove it and sprayed bug spray. They could have offered something for the inconvenience, but didn't. Our friends weren't even being rude about the situation. They were actually were calm and polite about it.

They also give you different colored bracelets based on how many times you have stayed their. I feel that they should have treated us first timers better to make us want to come back. I also felt the stereotype that they don't like Americans. I feel that we were treated differently because we were.

Remember to bring enough of all of your ammentities. The prices in the shops are completely over priced. $31 for sunscreen that you can by at home for $10. A small bag of chips was $5. I had to pay $3 for a 2 pepto. I had to by 3 packs since my whole party was sick. I could have bought to full packs at home for that price.

Don't buy anything from locals that sell things by the lobby. They are completely over priced as well. You can actually by what ever they are selling cheaper in the shops if you can believe that. They constantly annoy you ever time you walk by so you don't even want to check everything out that they have to offer. They all annoy you when you are trying to relax on the beach. I understand they are trying to make money, but if I want something I will come to you.

All of the bartenders at the bars were extremely friendly. They made you feel welcome. We had no problem giving them extra tips. You weren't even finished with your drink yet and they were giving you another one. Fabio and the bartender at the pool in the Palace gave the best service we received the whole time. They need to hire more people like these two.

My husband and I aren't world travelers. We had only been to Cancun before we were married and a cruise for our honeymoon. We hadn't been on vacation since then. So we decided to save for our 10 year anniversary. Needless to say it was a disappointment for our first vacation in 10 years. I will not be staying at any of their other resorts either.

Room Tip: Spend the extra money to stay at the Royal Suites at the Grand Pallidium so you get treated better.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Becky F
Dear Becky F,

Received a warm greeting from the staff of Grand Palladium Palace Resort, Spa y Casino, we want to thank you for dedicating your time to share your experiences concerning your stay.

We would like to apologize for the inconvenience you had during your holidays, I assure you we will consider your suggestions, we are working to improve our services.

Once again thank you very much,

Millville, Massachusetts
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 4, 2013 via mobile

Let's start by saying the resort is beautiful, the beach is beautiful and staff were nice (a tip here and there seemed to do the trick) even though it was impossible to communicate with a lot of them. We booked through Funjet and they were awesome...an agent by the name of Modesto took care of everything...he gets an A+...we were a group of 14 and he had us covered and got us in the building/villa we requested...
The maids did a great job of keeping our room nice...
Between the AC and the fan (which was blowing the wrong way until I fixed it) the room stayed comfortable...
Now here is where the property owners fall down...the food is gross/horrible. You figure out early what is safe to eat and won't go right through you...that is the sad truth. We did Jamaica last year and the food was way better so I know it can be done.
In July/August Punta Cana is a blast furnace...and the hotel provides no relief... The only relief is the beach if you can find shade (you need to be up before the sun to claim umbrellas) or stay in the water all day. I'm a beach guy but 14 hours a day gets old. If you don't do well in the heat stay home...trust me. The lobby is the only place that had Wifi...but it was a sauna...in 5 minutes you were drenched in sweat...they have fans but they are all blowing up and pushing all the hot air down. Note to staff, there are switches on those fans to have them blow down...if I had access to a ladder I would have fixed them... I agree with a previous reviewer, get fans like they have at the airport...they appear to have it figured out.
We were given the heads up not to drink the water. The hotel did provide bottled water...but I'm guessing they didn't use bottled water to make the ice...which doesn't last long in the heat...and the drinks do suck...and you see the bartenders pour a little coconut water in your drinks so the creepy food or melted ice cubes don't stay in you long (TMI...sorry) Bedding needs to be upgraded...we've all been mattress shopping...these are the $100 card board mattresses and pillows you see and wonder who buys them...apparently this ownership..
Back in good old New England where's its 80 degrees with barely any humidity...we have some of the best beaches in the world...why I leave is a mystery...I've learned my lesson...already looking at houses on Cape Cod next year...

Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank FH14B
Dear FH14B,

On behalf of Grand Palladium Palace Resort Spa y Casino we want to thank you for the dedicated time you spent to share your suggestions.

Politely we would like to apologize for the inconvenience, thanks to you and other customers suggestions we are working to improve our services.

One more time thank you very much,

Regards.
Farmingdale, New York
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 2, 2013

Let's start by saying, we were a group of 22 people which they can not accommodate or even know how to handle large groups! Before going, I sent numerous emails and made many phone calls which no one answered the phone, or the emails. But upon arrival they knew about my family request for rooms being together. which never really happened. some got together and others were in other villas. A day from hell was my check in day. They rate this hotel a 5 star hotel to me it would be 2-3 stars. Let's start by saying the food is HORRIBLE!!! and all over the Island too. Our cousins stayed at the Barceló all 23 of them, and hated their food too. In the Palladium Lobby it was so warm that you couldnt stay there it was too warm HOT! more like it .dripping w/sweat. needed a/c or at least the Big A **ss Fans like in the airport .As for the main pool is was run down tiles missing cracks everywhere, Our drinks tasted like watered down, couldn't even catch a buzz if we wanted to.We had older people w/us and possible needed a wheelchair but to put $350 for deposit and $100 a day for the chair. Was ridiculous.But for the Pros of this place is the grounds of the hotel are beautiful the Beach was GORGEOUS! AND THE PEOPLE WERE very friendly. At this point none of us would go back to PUNTA CANA at least not for the next 25 yrs.

Room Tip: If you want beachfront ask for Villa 81 and 82 but they are the furthest walk to all restaurants and...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank Jeanine S
Dear Jeanine S,

Received a warm greeting from the staff of The Royal Suites Turquesa by Palladium, we want to thank you for dedicating your time to share your experiences concerning your stay.

Thanks for highlighting these details;

Best Regards.