“Good but customer service needs to be far better” 4 of 5 stars

Grand Palladium Palace Resort Spa & Casino
Ranked #23 of 108 Hotels in Punta Cana
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Durham, United Kingdom
“Good but customer service needs to be far better”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2013

This is our third trip to the island and overall its a good resort, the weather is amazing, the beach is fantastic, water sports are good.

Pros: stunning beach with nice cooling breeze, good pool area and bar, plenty of sun loungers, choice of restaurants, drinks good especially the cocktails, gardens are immaculate, rooms spacious and maid service good, fresh towels and toiletries provided, beach towels provided, lovely setting close to beach.

Cons: our experience of customer service throughout resort was generally very, very poor, there is little English spoken by staff and we tried to get by with a few words of spanish but despite our efforts the majority of staff ignored us in both the lunch and buffet restaurants. It's unacceptable and frustrating having to ask 4 different waiters for drinks and being kept waiting 1/2 hr for them to arrive. This is not the experience we are used to receiving in hotels across the world. Waiting staff were disorganised, did the minimum they could and there needs to be much better management and direction within most of the resturants so that all guests receive equal treatment. Paying guests should be treated well, with respect and in a much more pleasant way, this would have made all the difference to our experience. For this reason we would not return to this hotel, it caters far better towards Spanish speaking guests, but if you don't speak the language many of the staff just refuse to communicate with you or don't acknowledge you exist.
The main exception was the Japanese where the staff were happy, vibrant and more focused on good customer service with a smile. Table service in lobby bar was good, we tipped which seemed to help attract attention.
The friendliest person we came across was a lovely, elderly gardener on our last day who went out of his way to chat to us and made us feel welcome - the hotel should make that man head of customer relations he could teach the waiting staff how to be friendly and nice - he's an absolute delight!

Restaurants: Food is good in Japanese, al a carte is great and the show cooking is fun! Italian was awful food, our waiters were drunk as they would bring extra drinks from the bar and would take them into the side room to drink down themselves, not what we want to see. Steak house was good first time round, steak well cooked, nice outdoor terrace. Mare Nostrum was air conditioned and food was ok there too. Beach restaurant food was generally good, waiting staff ignore you here though, especially if you are english speaking so don't go there thirsty. Breakfast buffet is quite good, fresh eggs cooked to order, fruit, pancakes etc but take your own tea bags on a morning if you like a good cuppa :) There are no reservations as all restaurants are on a first come first served basis. Tip: get there early or the wait can be up to 2 hrs if you arrive after 7.30pm, especially at weekends.

• 3 of 5 stars
    • 3 of 5 stars
    • 1 of 5 stars
1 Thank Majesticmoo
ltajes, Manager at Grand Palladium Palace Resort Spa & Casino, responded to this review, August 29, 2013
Dear Majesticmoo,

On behalf of Grand Palladium Palace Resort, Spa y Casino we want to thank you for the dedicated time you spent to share your suggestions.

Politely we would like to apologize for the inconvenience, thanks to you and other customers suggestions we are working to improve our services.

One more time thank you very much,

Regards.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (358)
  • Czech first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
Little Egg HaRBOR
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2013 via mobile

If you are not staying in the Suites or booked through their own "club" you are screwed got dinners. I am there know cmd waiting over a hour or more for sit down restaurants ?? I can not even get in some because they are booked by their " privileged " guests . Went through Apple vacations and had no warming of this . A 2 their society and would stay away till corrected. Restaurant lines can get a little unruly when waiting outside in the heat for that long and see people just walk up and get in ????

• Stayed July 2013
    • 1 of 5 stars
4 Thank kenyaz
Dear kenyaz,

Received a warm greeting from the staff of Grand Palladium Palace Resort, Spa y Casino, we want to thank you for dedicating your time to share your experiences concerning your stay.

We would like to apologize for the inconvenience you had during your holidays, I assure you we will consider your suggestions, we are working to improve our services.

Once again thank you very much,

Greetings.
Urbach, Germany
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2013

We spent one week in this very nice resort. We always come back to this hotel. We say thank you very much to Mr.Franklin Watley ( Room Division Manager ) in the reception and all the other staff .
All restaurants have good food and the kitchen-chief always tried to give something extra for the guests. At the breakfast you could trink fresh juice from many tropical plants.
The room service was excellent and the room-staff very friendly .
We recommend this hotel for all our friends and we will sure return soon .

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Jan Erik O
Dear Jan Erik O,

We are really thankful for the precious time you dedicate to share your good experiences in the hotel with us.

It is a satisfaction to know that you enjoyed your stay at our resort and that we have totally satisfied your needs.

We will be waiting for your return.

Thank you very much.
Toronto, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2013

I have been to 7 different resorts in the Dominican and the rooms here were outdated and in some real bad need of upgrading. The food in the buffet made you dream of Mac Donald's..There is no room service which sucks late night.The English language is unheard of so makes it hard to ask for help. The folks that do like and enjoy are the ones lucky enough to upgrade to the new room and are costly. I was disappointed here and was there for 2 weeks. I have alot more unkindly things to say but if this does not sway you then enjoy and bring lots of money for the upgraded rooms. Also sleeping at night is hard due to kids screaming in the halls why they are up don't know and the door slamming and couples fighting in the hallways also makes it hard. And the AC sucks.

Room Tip: Upgrade and spend double you are only getting a good deal due to the outdated rooms they give you. Y...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
3 Thank storm1764
Dear storm1764,

Received a warm greeting from the staff of Grand Palladium Palace Resort Spa y Casino, we want to thank you for dedicating your time to share your experiences concerning your stay.

We apologize for our services and that we do not full fill you expectations as well. All comments are very important for us, which is a valuable tool for us to continue improving.

Once again thank you very much; we hope to see you soon at our resort.

Best Regards.
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2013

My girlfriend and I had a 10 night stay at the Grand Palladium (9th July to 19th July). I cannot fault the hotel and staff n any way. When we arrived, the usual welcome drinks were offered and we were upgraded to the beach side suites. Wow is all I can say. All right the fixtures and fittings may be slightly dated for a 5 star, nevertheless fully functional. We had very minor problems with the room (noisy air con, flush problems with loo) - all these were taken care of almost immediately - the problems did not recur once tended to. Brilliant.

Food is out of this world and the choice plentiful. I would take this opportunily to prsonally thank ''MELKY'' (the butler). This woman is all about customer service and customer satisfaction. A professional in every sense of the word and an ever smiling face. The Mangement there should consider promoting her!, she's that good. A big thank you for all that you did for us, from the ''Indian guy'' and his Spanish girlfriend MELKY. I must state that AL the staff there are brilliant. I have been to many ''all-Inc's''.......this was my 3rd time in the Dominican......the Palladium was/is by far the best stay ever....

The only downside is that the hotel gets very busy (not surprising seeing how good it is) - that all the good sun bathing spots get taken up/reserved (the ones with a bit of shade), so if you're not an early riser you will struggle to find a good spot to perch on the either beach or swimming pool area. Not a problem for us as we're both early risers (6:30 am!!).

Thank you to all the staff and management at this hotel. I will definitely return.

Room Tip: If you're an avid tea drinker like myself.....take your own tea bags. I found the local tea slig...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Atboy,

We want to thank you for dedicating your time to share your experiences concerning your stay at Grand Palladium Palace Resort, Spa y Casino.

Comments like yours are the best motivation for us and our team, thank you for choosing our Resort, we will be waiting for your next vacations.

Best Regards.
Cambridge, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2013

I had the pleasure of spending the week of July 13-20 at the Grand Palladium Palace Resort, Spa and Casino. I travelled with my daughter, her husband and 8yr old son as well as my friend.

None of us could find one single thing to complain about!

The staff was very friendly and helpful. Sure, some had very limited English but that's what I would expect in a country where Spanish is the mother tongue but our questions would get answered.

The Dominicans have 2 speeds, slow and stop. Once you experience the heat there you will only have 2 speeds as well so be patient. Remember, you are on vacation, don't be in such a hurry!

The wait staff was more than willing to give us Spanish lessons and were very patient as we practiced. We found the servers in LAS TORRES, the restaurant directly across from the Palladium Palace lobby to be more friendly and entertaining. When you go look for Isreal, Hector, Jose Louis or Franklin. Sit in any of their sections and you will be well taken care of!
Please remember to tip though. The Dominicans need their tips. I was surprised by the number of guests who would leave without even leaving a $1US bill on their table.

Food was plentiful and tasty. We chose to dine at the buffets having tried the Steakhouse and not being overly impressed. Actually, the steak and ribs at the buffet were better than what we had at the Steakhouse. The Japanese restaurant was very entertaining and food was OK. Can't speak for any of the other a la cartes though, sorry.

The pool areas were kept clean, there were lots of shaded areas for lounge chairs. The same goes for the beach. The pools were a good size and never did you feel crowded. I was totally impressed by how clean the poolside washrooms were kept!

The television may not have been a modern flat screen but it worked well and had a good selection of American English channels.

Air conditioning it the room worked very well.

The safe worked fine. There would be no chance of a staff member getting in to it since you create your own 6 digit code to open and close it. The secret is to remember to enter your code to lock it.

The bar fridge was kept stocked with pop, beer and 2 large bottles of Dosani water for drinking and brushing teeth. Do NOT drink the tap water!

There was a wide variety of toiletries provided including toothbrush, toothpaste, razor, shaving cream and comb. It was a pleasant surprise!

My daughter, son-in-law and grandson had a loft room in which the air conditioning was not working on the lower level. They were moved to an upgraded room as soon as one became available which was our second full day there.

My friend and I did have a down day due to our own carelessness. We spent our first 2 days in the water forgetting about the kind of burn you get doing that.

My grandson spent a couple of days at the Kids Club and really enjoyed himself there. It is one incredible facility and the staff is terrific with the kids! I was wishing I was a kid and could spend some time there after I took a tour of their building.

The resort is expansive but there is a train that takes you from one end to the other with many stops in between. If you are staying at the Palladium Palace and want to go to the Sports Bar you will need to take the train.

As I said at the start, we could find absolutely nothing to complain about the resort or staff. Our main complaints were about the ignorance and rudeness of the guests. I am now planning a winter getaway to the Grand Palladium Palace Resort, Spa and Casino!

1 Thank flossie2081
ltajes, Manager at Grand Palladium Palace Resort Spa & Casino, responded to this review, July 23, 2013
Dear flossie2081:

Received a warm greeting from the staff of Grand Palladium Palace in Dominican Republic. We thank you for sharing your experience. It is a pleasure for us to know that you and your family spent a very pleasant vacation in our hotel, that is our main goal and we are very pleased.

We'll be waiting for you in the winter with open arms and a very warm weather.

Best regards.
Mableton, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2013

Grand Palladium Palace Resort and Spa is a fantastic resort!!!! From check in to check out the experience was awesome!!!! I stayed in a loft suite garden view room and it was spacious and very clean!!! I had a group of 15 with me and everyone only had great things to say about their rooms. One of my group members had a loft suite ocean view room and the view was perfect as they was getting at the resort. The maid came and cleaned the room every day, on time and made sure she asked if we didn't put our signage on the door to make sure we didn't forget. She deserved the tip I left for her!!!! The grounds was so beautiful!!!! They were always kept clean and the workers was always seen cleaning making sure it was kept very nicely. The pool area was also kept very clean. The beach was so serene!!!! I just loved the atmosphere!!! Although the resort was a family resort, the kids had their own activities in which made the adults very happy!!! The food was outstanding!!! All of the restaurants that I visited was great!!! The Chinese, Japanese, Buffet (all three), and Mexican restaurants were all great!!! Now of course I have to speak about the wonderful staff!!! The entertainment staff, even the bell boy (men) were great and kind.

I can say that this resort is more than 5 stars in my book and I will definitely visit again!!!!

2 Thank SBethea
ltajes, Manager at Grand Palladium Palace Resort Spa & Casino, responded to this review, July 16, 2013
Dear SBethea,

We will be waiting for your next vacations.

Thank you very much.