“You will love this beach!!”

VIK Hotel Arena Blanca
Ranked #76 of 112 Hotels in Punta Cana
Reviewed August 1, 2014

We had a wonderful vacation! I loved not having to make reservations for the restaurants. The food was very good,lots of variety. We were given an ocean front room,which was great. The beach was so beautiful with lots of sand & shallow water to walk out pretty far. We loved the patio bar for pre-dinner drinks. Ask Pedro for for a mango cocktails,yumm!
We would visit again. PPZOhio

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple
5  Thank PPZOhio
There are newer reviews for VIK Hotel Arena Blanca

Reviewed August 1, 2014

I recently stayed at Vik Hotel Arena Blanca June 19-26.

Staff:

Staff at Vik hotel were rude and very unhelpful. The first time I complained to the staff regarding my remote control for the TV being broken. I waited over and hour with no one coming to fix the problem and had to complain two more times until finally someone came after three hours. The next time I complained that my AC unit was not functioning and was informed that they would send technicians to fix our problem.I left with my girlfriend and we promptly returned to find a maid outside our room singing a song louder the closer we came to the room as if she was trying to warn the people inside our room that we were close. In our room I found two guys just standing there not doing anything and it looked like they were snooping around our stuff, so lock all your belongings or get the safe daily. Please bring A LOT of $1 bills for tipping. I thought I brought plenty, but ran out. NO ONE will give you change at this resort. The wifi woman who clearly had change to spare simply told the guy we asked "NO CHANGE" in a bossy tone. No one will give you change, you must buy stuff to get any type of change. Finally, the people who sell you vacations are the most annoying people you will meet there. They camp out in front of the restaurant area trying to sell you their goods and if you say no they will talk and say something in their language right after and you know its about you. I don't understand how these are allowed inside the restaurant, not only that, right by the towel area at the pool you will find them too. Although I thought our maid was very nice it took a very long time for our room to be cleaned and some days it wouldn't be done until close to 5:30 PM.

Rooms:

Rooms are not very good. Some were renovated and others were not. We had a room Building three on the ground floor. There were a ton of ants and we even got a notice that our room was going to be fumigated one day and we had to be out of the room between 9:30 AM to 1:00 PM. The AC unit did not work well and stayed at 24 degrees and would not go any lower to our set point. The bathroom did not look in the best of shape either and looked very old and rundown. No wifi in rooms, wifi is only available in the lobby and maybe if you were in building one close to the lobby you will get a connection. Rates are $3 /hr and $7 /day. If you get an hour it will most likely expire after 45 minutes as my usage did and I was not even done my hour.

Pools:

Pools were really clean. There were enough lounge chairs available throughout the day and the pool was very big. No swim up pool bar, but the pool bar was close to the pool/beach and they made pizza, burgers, and fries daily. These hot dogs and patties were left for all in a metal bin full of water out in the open by the pool bar. Beware of the pool guys trying to sell you stuff!

Beach:

Beach was also very clean and beautiful. However, I went swimming one morning and there was a ton of green seaweed. Everywhere you moved your feet in the water you would be touching green seaweed. The water is also not clear and you cannot see to the bottom like in Cuba. They had people trying to dance on the beach to get tips and also people trying to peddle cigars and other goods up and down the beach.

Food:

Food was below average. I really enjoyed breakfast and also the a la carte Italian restaurant. At this resort you get as many a la carte's as you wish and your choices are Italian and Mexican. Both offer decent food and I would recommend the Mozzarella Sticks for Italian and the Chicken for the Mexican restaurant. The buffet dinner was also your run of the mill Caribbean, same like Cuba and other places. Be prepared Gents to wear long pants and a dressy long sleeve shirts to get into the a la cartes. They were more strict about the dress code at the Mexican place and they didn't seem to care too much about what the ladies were wearing.

Entertainment/locals:

I highly recommend the Monkeyland Safari excursion. You get to interact with Squirrel Monkeys (20 of them) and feed them. They will jump on you and eat from your hands. The excursion comes at $75 a person, cheapest you will find for an excursion per person. The drive there is a bumpy one as you will hike up a huge mountain to get there on an unpaved road and then you will meet some locals on the way down and see Cocoa being made and a typical Dominican house. There are no towns nearby in a walking distance unless you want to try it will be an hour walk there and an hour back in sweltering heat. Beware the locals will try to take advantage of you and try to give you a "good deal" at a ridiculous price (some guy tried to charge me $220 American for goods worth maximum $80). I eventually got the guy to give me all the stuff for $85 American after constantly haggling saying I am not a rich guy just because I am on vacation and that I don't have that much money. Be careful though! Once they see that you bought something from somewhere, other locals will swarm you to come to their shop and see their goods at "good prices". People expect tips everywhere!

I would definitely not recommend staying here to anyone! Put a little extra more cash in and do not stay at this "4 star" hotel. It is at best 3 stars. Stay at Occidental or Hard Rock (most people from the bus got off there so there must be a buzz about them or Riu).

Room Tip: Don't stay here!
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Alex S
Reviewed July 30, 2014

I just stayed at this hotel from July 25th through the 28th with two of my friends. This was the one of the worst hotel experiences I have ever had. The resort was all inclusive however the food was absolutely horrible. Every single restaurant at the resort served terrible food, even the alacart American food was nasty. The Italian restaurant was by far the worst, it took us well over an hour to get pre-prepared food which was horrible. To make things worse, all dining was outside, and there were stray cats running around beneath your feet or staring up at you as you ate. This hotel needs some serious upgrades. The room I stayed in did not even have electronic key card entry, I had a regular dead bolt lock on my door like the one you have at home. The lobby had absolutely no air conditioning so the temperature was dependent on the breeze. The WiFi, which is not free, can only be used in the lobby and was out for hours at a time. The only saving grace was the fact that the beach was beautiful and I enjoyed hanging with my girls. I will never stay here again, and I will never suggest that anyone else stay here. Spend your money elsewhere.

• Stayed: July 2014
3  Thank Stephmc1908
Reviewed July 28, 2014

I spent a week here with some girlfriends. We had an absolutely amazing time - however our standards were quite low (first timers at an all inclusive resort). We were simply happy to have someone else cook and clean for us! The staff throughout this resort are absolutely wonderful. I can not not say enough good things about them! Beach was lovely.
We "browsed" through other resorts in the area (mainly looking for a clean washroom to use - as our resort public washrooms were very poorly managed/cleaned). The gardens, food options and availability of wine/spirits was MUCH better in neighboring resorts.
Absolutely no regrets - but will likely try somewhere else next time.
Staying in a newly renovated room - is a MUST! We saw the difference first hand, and would have been very disappointed if not in the newer area (building 4).

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled with friends
2  Thank Christine P
Reviewed July 28, 2014

Having just returned from a 2 week trip here firstly l think some of the reviews are very unfair. This hotel is basic but the location is what you go for and that is far from basic. So I will try to keep this brief and true ...
Rooms.. Very tired and the AC not brilliant, always hot water my only moan is the cleaners sometimes don't get there until 5pm so there was a number of days we sent her away. But the rooms are comfortable and perfect for the small amount of time you will spend in them.
Food.. Buffet restaurant is ok and you should find something. The Italian is fantastic and you don't need a reservation plus it's unlimited for your stay..but it gets busy so be there by 7.30!
Bars.. Always good but slow as only staffed by one person.
Staff.. Always polite but not English friendly.
Grounds.. Perfect
Pool.. Spotless and never a shortage of beds
Beach.. Beautiful loads of beds, but if you want a hut get there early!
Sales.. A polite no thank you and they don't hassle.
Shows.. Standard dom rep shows they entertain so it does what it says on the tin but don't expect "west end"
Safety.. No issues

Summary.. Don't judge a book by its cover and make up your own mind. This is a tiny resort so everything is within 5 mins of any room. The resort needs a face lift and some staffing organisation, however, it had wall to wall sunshine, good food, good drinks and perfect white sand and blue sea. In the long run this is what you will be going for so give it a chance an remember......

Enjoyxx

Stayed: July 2014, traveled with family
6  Thank Nicola S
Reviewed July 27, 2014

I was not sure but booked 2 weeks in september 2014, had room 4019, nice room, air consditionner fair. Beach was fantastic and could walk few miles.
People working were friendly and the menu at the buffet was very good, changing every day and even after 2 weelks didn't get fet up.
You had to serve yourselpf with the drinks in the restaurant, but it was OK for me.
Refered a lot of my friends to go and they were very pleased.
Going back this end of september for another 2 weeks.
I wrote to the hotel last month to see if they have a repeat custumer advantage but they never answered me, maybe will write again.
If you are looking for a great beach, great location, very clean rooms, this is the price, but if you are looking for people taking charge of you, and offer fancy drinks you should look elsewere.

Room Tip: Section 4 units were renovated, AC fair but not cool, variety food andvery weel kept hotel.
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank puma1621
Reviewed July 27, 2014

We normally like to hire a car and get out and about exploring the country and its people. Here, in Dom. Rep. we spent the whole week in the hotel grounds sipping various cocktails, enjoying the international choice of meals from the extensive menu, and sitting by the pool. Very relaxing. We did go for a few walks along the beach and took a sneak look at some of the other 5* hotels and again a pleasant and relaxing way to enjoy a stroll. We didn't miss the car and its association with foreign rules of the road and general traffic conditions. I did however have a trial on a "Segway" machine which was great fun. Wish we had booked 2 weeks here.

Room Tip: The hotel and grounds overall were quiet and peaceful. They indicated ALL rooms having a sea view...
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple