“Totally disappointed!”

Ranked #74 of 111 Hotels in Punta Cana
Atlanta, Georgia
“Totally disappointed!”
Reviewed July 30, 2014

I just stayed at this hotel from July 25th through the 28th with two of my friends. This was the one of the worst hotel experiences I have ever had. The resort was all inclusive however the food was absolutely horrible. Every single restaurant at the resort served terrible food, even the alacart American food was nasty. The Italian restaurant was by far the worst, it took us well over an hour to get pre-prepared food which was horrible. To make things worse, all dining was outside, and there were stray cats running around beneath your feet or staring up at you as you ate. This hotel needs some serious upgrades. The room I stayed in did not even have electronic key card entry, I had a regular dead bolt lock on my door like the one you have at home. The lobby had absolutely no air conditioning so the temperature was dependent on the breeze. The WiFi, which is not free, can only be used in the lobby and was out for hours at a time. The only saving grace was the fact that the beach was beautiful and I enjoyed hanging with my girls. I will never stay here again, and I will never suggest that anyone else stay here. Spend your money elsewhere.

• Stayed July 2014
3 Thank Stephmc1908

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (465)
  • Czech first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
Halifax
Reviewed July 28, 2014

I spent a week here with some girlfriends. We had an absolutely amazing time - however our standards were quite low (first timers at an all inclusive resort). We were simply happy to have someone else cook and clean for us! The staff throughout this resort are absolutely wonderful. I can not not say enough good things about them! Beach was lovely.
We "browsed" through other resorts in the area (mainly looking for a clean washroom to use - as our resort public washrooms were very poorly managed/cleaned). The gardens, food options and availability of wine/spirits was MUCH better in neighboring resorts.
Absolutely no regrets - but will likely try somewhere else next time.
Staying in a newly renovated room - is a MUST! We saw the difference first hand, and would have been very disappointed if not in the newer area (building 4).

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
2 Thank Christine P
Badsey
Reviewed July 28, 2014 via mobile

Having just returned from a 2 week trip here firstly l think some of the reviews are very unfair. This hotel is basic but the location is what you go for and that is far from basic. So I will try to keep this brief and true ...
Rooms.. Very tired and the AC not brilliant, always hot water my only moan is the cleaners sometimes don't get there until 5pm so there was a number of days we sent her away. But the rooms are comfortable and perfect for the small amount of time you will spend in them.
Food.. Buffet restaurant is ok and you should find something. The Italian is fantastic and you don't need a reservation plus it's unlimited for your stay..but it gets busy so be there by 7.30!
Bars.. Always good but slow as only staffed by one person.
Staff.. Always polite but not English friendly.
Grounds.. Perfect
Pool.. Spotless and never a shortage of beds
Beach.. Beautiful loads of beds, but if you want a hut get there early!
Sales.. A polite no thank you and they don't hassle.
Shows.. Standard dom rep shows they entertain so it does what it says on the tin but don't expect "west end"
Safety.. No issues

Summary.. Don't judge a book by its cover and make up your own mind. This is a tiny resort so everything is within 5 mins of any room. The resort needs a face lift and some staffing organisation, however, it had wall to wall sunshine, good food, good drinks and perfect white sand and blue sea. In the long run this is what you will be going for so give it a chance an remember......

Enjoyxx

Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
6 Thank Nicola S
Val Morin, Canada
Reviewed July 27, 2014

I was not sure but booked 2 weeks in september 2014, had room 4019, nice room, air consditionner fair. Beach was fantastic and could walk few miles.
People working were friendly and the menu at the buffet was very good, changing every day and even after 2 weelks didn't get fet up.
You had to serve yourselpf with the drinks in the restaurant, but it was OK for me.
Refered a lot of my friends to go and they were very pleased.
Going back this end of september for another 2 weeks.
I wrote to the hotel last month to see if they have a repeat custumer advantage but they never answered me, maybe will write again.
If you are looking for a great beach, great location, very clean rooms, this is the price, but if you are looking for people taking charge of you, and offer fancy drinks you should look elsewere.

Room Tip: Section 4 units were renovated, AC fair but not cool, variety food andvery weel kept hotel.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank puma1621
Benfleet, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 27, 2014

We normally like to hire a car and get out and about exploring the country and its people. Here, in Dom. Rep. we spent the whole week in the hotel grounds sipping various cocktails, enjoying the international choice of meals from the extensive menu, and sitting by the pool. Very relaxing. We did go for a few walks along the beach and took a sneak look at some of the other 5* hotels and again a pleasant and relaxing way to enjoy a stroll. We didn't miss the car and its association with foreign rules of the road and general traffic conditions. I did however have a trial on a "Segway" machine which was great fun. Wish we had booked 2 weeks here.

Room Tip: The hotel and grounds overall were quiet and peaceful. They indicated ALL rooms having a sea view...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
4 Thank RAH1975_21
Summerfield, Florida
Reviewed July 20, 2014

My wife and I just came back last week from Punta Cana, where we stayed at this hotel. This was our fourth trip to Punta Cana and this would have to be the lowest quality hotel to stay of the four. First let me note, the good parts of the hotel stay, the beach, the pool, and our compliments to the person making the breads and the desserts. This hotel, I believe to be one of the first hotels built on the island (over 15 years ago), but so far have only renovated a few of the rooms. Being a very hot climate, the air conditioning works harder and units should be replaced on a regular schedule,not when they are broken. In talking with a large group of people who came in on our flight, who had 5 rooms, 3 of the rooms air conditioning didn't work at all. My question why would you put people in rooms where you know the air conditioning doesn't work. We were fortunate to have a great desk clerk, Junior, who found us a room in Bldg 5 (not renovated, but air worked) that had both a garden view and a view of the ocean. To me this was the best location you could be on the resort, since it was near the pool and the beach. It also was close to the bar and the lunch restaurant (great french fries), a nice place to sit, have lunch, nice breeze with a view of the ocean. The rooms were well cleaned each day, but the odor left behind is either bleach or ammonia, which is not pleasant. The rooms have a small fridge stocked with water and soda. Another problem with this resort, you can't get ice or have iced tea. The buffets are ok and sometimes you can find things that are to your liking, but it can be hard some nights. The beef they serve here and other resorts on the island is usually pretty tough. We found the pork, the chicken, some fish were your best bets for dinner. We only went to one of the specialty restaurants, the Italian, where the service is terrible, one hour fo get our meals and they brought my wife the wrong food, but no apology. The problem here it seems, not enough staff to take orders and to make the food. I didn't try their other ala carte restaurant (international), since I heard from other people to stay out of there also. By the way, none of these speciality restaurants are air conditioned. The only place you will find air conditioning is your room and that isn't very cool. If you want beach towels, go first thing in morning, otherwise you may have to go back 2 or 3 times to see if they have towels. My wife and I knew when I booked this package through Apple that this wasn't a 5 star hotel, but expected a little better quality than what is offered here, food and accomodations wise. Fortunately, we didn't pay a lot for this vacation, since we just wanted a week getaway. Next time, though I will pay the difference and stay with Melia or Iberostar for an overall better experience. This property is on Cayena Beach where there seems to be a lot of seaweed in the water. Stay on the BAvaro Beach side, with the cleaner water. Another unusual thing about this resort, on one ever comes over to you in the restaurant, pool, or beach area and offers to bring you a drink, which is a common thing for a resort in the Carribean. Also, please note, if you go to specialty restaurants, dress code only applies to men wearing long pants and collared shirt, but women can go in shorts or whatever they want.

Room Tip: Try and get a renovated room. Try to get buildings 3, 4, or 5, best location
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
10 Thank snagelberg
Chalmette, Louisiana
Reviewed July 17, 2014

Just got back from seven days at Arena Blanca. Over all the trip was ok.The hotel was average can't find a lot to brag about except the beach which was very pretty.
The room was nothing to brag about. We had two double beds no lamps so lighting was poor,very small bathroom only one person at a time could fit.It was ok because we don't spend much time in room anyway.
The property was pretty a lot of flora and palm trees landscape the area. The property is not huge so you can walk and cover the property without problem,which we like don't need to cath a tram to get around. The pool is very nice big enough so you don't feel over crowded and the staff would play different water games which was nice.
The food was ok at best.For the first time in our travels we had a hard time finding something we like at the buffet .We are not picky eaters and can always find something good but this time we found it difficult. There is an Italian and Mexican restaurant which both are very good which we ate at instead of buffet.
The drinks where good. They serve them in small plastic cups but to save many trips to the bar we bought souvenir cups which they would fill. We drank rum and cola and instead of getting bottom shelf rum ask for Ron Bordealo in the square bottle that is the island top rum.Tip the bartenders a couple of dollars and they will take care of you.
The night life was lacking.They would put on a show each night usually a dance routine that would last about an hour or so then after that not much else to do. No bands or anything.If you like to stay out late and listen to music and meet people which we like to do then this might not be the place for you.The resort is more laid back and relaxing which is not a bad thing but is not a party place.
Save the best for last the beach. Very pretty white soft sand with pretty water.There was a lot of huts on the beach to get out of the sun but where always taken.If you wanted to get one you would have to go out the night before or get up very very early to put your stuff out which we tought kinda sucks.
We are from the USA and found very few americans there It is mostly Europeans which is not bad for we meet and made friends with some.My point is if you are American don't expect to see a lot of other americans which at times can be a good thing.
overall we had a good time would I go back to this resort? probably not. woul I go back to the island yes but would stay on the Caribbean side because I think the water is a lot prettier

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple