3,675 results
All reviewshot dogsseafoodsmall resortother resortsocean viewfrench friesa la carte restaurantsgreat beachanimation teambeach barpasta stationfamily suitestayed in buildingnightly entertainmenthamburgerbavaro beachdance lessons
Reviewed January 23, 2013

We just returned from a week at the Vik Hotel Arena Blanca. Despite the fact it rained 5 of the 7 days we were there, we had an amazing time. The staff at the resort were friendly and the service was top quality. The resort offered 3 a la carte restaurants, however we ate at the buffet every day. The food (particularly the noodle soup) was good and there was always lots of choose. We didn't attend the shows or the disco, so have no comment, other than when we passed by the show, there always seemed to be a lot of people watching. WIFI in the main lobby is a little slow, although I suspect that this is the case in most places in the DR. The hotel is older that others we saw, but for the money it is well worth it. It is clean and in good repair. We will definitely go back.

Room Tip: If available, try for block 4, the renovated rooms. All of the rooms we saw were very clean, but the renovated rooms provide newer beds.
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank TouringDuo
VHAB, Public Relations Manager at VIK Hotel Arena Blanca, responded to this reviewResponded February 7, 2013

Dear client,

We are so grateful for your preference in our VIK Hotel Arena Blanca and for your positive comments about our hotel!

It delighted us to know that you enjoy your stay with us; we love to do our best to satisfy all our clients’ needs, this is our main target. We are looking forward to see you here soon for one more time!

Guest service Manager
VIK hotel Arena Blanca

Reviewed January 21, 2013

Overall really enjoyed our stay at Punta Cana. The local staff were always friendly, the beach is out of this world and the food was good. The grounds are immaculate, thumbs up to the garden staff. For the price we paid we were happy. A few comments below.

We checked in at 3pm, the official check-in time, but our room wasn't ready until after 4:30. By the time we got to our room & changed clothes it was already a bit late to really enjoy the beach. Pity, not a good first impression.

Room (2004) was good and clean but lacked maintenance in the bathroom. Every accessory was either broken or needed a few turns of a screwdriver. TV worked well with plenty of channels and the shower was hot. As everybody else has remarked, there is no hair conditioner provided so bring your own. What they provide is shower gel/shampoo that is the same as the hand soap for the wash basin. Of course the soap holders were both broken (!).

As some other reviewers have pointed out, the bed sheets are too small and in the morning you find the sheets in a small pile in the middle of the bed wondering what happened !

The hotel has some very strange towel policies.

They make you sign a sheet of paper when you take your beach towels and sign again when returning them. This sometimes led to long queues at the towel desk. If you keep your towel and bring it back it back the following day then you don't need to sign because they throw away the sheets at the end of the day ! The guy at the towel desk just laughed when we talked to him about this, saying this was just the hotel policy. He thought it was very strange too.

With the bathroom towels another strange policy. The room maid comes early in the morning (8-9am) to pick up your bath towels but you don't get new ones until late in the afternoon (3-4pm). What happens then is that when you come back after a swim and want to have a shower and change clothes to go and have lunch you don't have a towel anymore !!

The buffet restaurant was good. Really enjoyed the breakfast, lunch and dinner there. Staff very friendly & polite. The a la carte restaurants were a bit of a disappointment as the service is very slow and the food is not much better than the buffet. We tried both a la carte restaurants then went back to eating dinner at the buffet restaurant. As some other reviewers have mentioned, the wine offered at the Italian a-la-carte is horrible. We sent the white wine back and drank beer instead.

One very good aspect of this hotel is that there are always enough sunbeds/deck chairs and beach umbrellas ("palapas"). The palapas are large and in good condition so you get plenty of respite from the sun when you need it. There is also no problem of people reserving sunbeds at this hotel that you see at other beachside hotels.

The pool is good, but also needs a little more maintenance. At the restaurant end of the pool a below water light is completely loose and hanging from wires (I guess the power was turned off to this light) and along one side of the pool it is dirty and green needing a good scrub on the walls just above the water line.

The group that provides the animation at this hotel, "Lookea", seem to only cater to French speaking guests. One of them said "bonjour" to me once when she walked past me but that was the limit of their interaction until the last day when another asked me to fill out a review at the front-desk and make sure we gave them a good score (!) and mention his name. I have been to a number of all-inclusive hotels in Mexico and the animation in this hotel is a joke compared to those in Mexico. Announcements for activities are only made in French & Spanish (and not always in Spanish either) , the animation staff do not come over and say hello, and are only interested in French speaking guests. They need to interact with all the guests not just the French/French Canadians.

The only internet is in the lobby and it can be a little difficult to get a connection with everybody else trying to do the same thing in the evening.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
7  Thank Peter F
VHAB, Public Relations Manager at VIK Hotel Arena Blanca, responded to this reviewResponded January 26, 2013

Dear client,

We would like to thank you for your preference in selecting our Vik hotel Arena Blanca for your vacations, as well for letting us know about your recent visit; in our effort to continuously improve the quality of our services and facilities, we put our greatest interest and value in our guest’s opinion.
We feel very regretful that products and services did not meet your expectations.

Cordially,

Reviewed January 19, 2013

Stay was 9 days, just me & my college daughter. Stayed in block 3, and if we didn't just sleep, change & shower there I would've absolutely upgraded. They said the block 4 & 5 were fully booked (I hear they are nicer rooms).
ROOM - no clock, no radio, TV had few English shows. Fridge was useless, it didn't keep the water any colder than if it was sitting out all night. Musty smelling (packed some sprays & candles, that helped).
HOUSEKEEPING- did the minimum. No clean sheets, didn't give us new glasses, the ice bucket was pointless since there was no ice machines to use. They kept forgetting to lock our patio door & we were on the 1st floor so IMPORTANT! I had locked everything up except a few disposable water cameras were were going to use the next day on excursion & 1 went missing...hmmm. They didn't seem to 'wash' the shower or glass in the shower either. Pretty much made the beds, gave new towels & water & swept.
STAFF- we found a few great staff that helped us but then there were others that were TERRIBLE. Made the departure unpleasant since the guest service lady was rude - refused to call into our travel rep, then said couldn't reach anyone & didn't know what else to do ...then she left for her break so we were stuck figuring it out ourselves.
HOTEL/RESORT - they do try & make daily activities which is great for the kids but it's the same thing day after day. Just like their evening show....good attempts but for a 9 day stay it got boring really quick. The disco was a joke, brought be back to the 80s & no American music. They really need to try & do events on the beach at night for the adults.
FOOD/BARS- I was told this has a swim up bar...NO. The beach bar is there but had a trainee that screwed up 1/2 the time. (Maybe it was language barrier too?) No where did anyone offer to get us refills when we sat on the beach or near the pool ...which is what I expected when I booked this. They had plenty of bars & very good bartenders most of the time. FOOD...the buffet was OK. Nothing spectacular. The 2 open restaurants, nicer dress code, no reservations were quite good but for 9 days we got tired of those too. The snack bar near the beach had hamburgers/hots/pizza & french fries daily until about 4pm but being American I didn't think it was all that great. Only really enjoyed the FF daily. DOWNFALL... no snacks or open food places from about 4pm to 6:30pm (when dinner opened). Bars didn't open til 10am & if you got up at 6:30 for sunrise & were on the hot beach til 9am, you were ready sooner!
The Cayena Beach club /VIP place next door was pushy...and had the 'good' restaurant with lobster, better seafood but I wasn't willing to pay their prices so we passed.
The staff pushing the excursions was bad. We had a few booked but daily they would still bug us.
WATER/BEACH/POOL - great! Beautiful water & beach, nice pool, grounds were beautiful & they did keep up on keeping the grounds & beach clean.
OTHER DOWNFALLS: being American there was big language barrier & not being use to smoking openly, that was irritating, all the smokers freely smoking...and not just tobacco!
Overall I give this a 3 out of 5. Sounds like I didn't enjoy it but I did. Again, on a Mom/Daughter trip where all we wanted was hot sunny beach it suited our needs. BUT if I were going as a family or romantic getaway with hubby then I'd do the 5 star resorts, step it up. Excursions...DON"T book with reservations, wait til you get there & see what the weather is like. Our Bavara Splash was cancelled & couldn't do it because of rough waters over all 9 days. The Carribean Festival was great but that was cancelled 1 day too...so had to rebook.
SHOPS/ NEGOTIATE!!!! They don't give you price til you are ready to check out & it seems they double everything so it was frustrating that we felt like we were being ripped off for items...Tshirts, cigars, beach wraps, even the fridge magnets were almost $7!! Crazy on the prices.

Room Tip: Block 1 & 2 closest to the lobby, furthest from the beach. Block 3 in the middle..but garden view only & basic rooms. Block 4 close to pool, block 5 closest to beach with ocean view. BRING A BOOK, bring a deck of cards, bring a good travel mug for the cold drinks to keep sand out while on the beach.
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
6  Thank Kimberly C

Dear customer,

We want to thank you for your preference in selecting our Vik hotel Arena Blanca for your vacations, as well for letting us know about your recent visit; in our effort to continuously improve the quality of our services and facilities, we put our greatest interest and value in our guest’s opinion, as a company committed to get the total satisfaction of our guests.

Reviewed January 16, 2013 via mobile

My favorite part of vacations is laying out on the beach, and this resort definitely had a beautiful beach! But prepared to be hassled by people trying to sell you things. 20 times worse than in Mexico! Too many hustlers on the beach. The resort contracts the people and gets a cut of the profits, so the nicer resorts you won't have the same problem. My parents stayed at Iberostar and had no one bothering them! Drinks are horrible. You have to go to 3 different bars to get enough alcohol for one drink. Just sugary stuff with a dash of alcohol. Had to bring my own bottle of vodka to get any type of effect from their drinks. No one speaks English. Food is AWFUL! I threw up in the bathroom after eating because it made me sick. Spend the extra couple hundred dollars to stay somewhere nicer. Casino is a ripoff. Airport is a joke. Some jerk grabbed my bags and took off and then demanded a tip. Next time I will be going back to mexico

• Stayed: January 2013
5  Thank eastwood8300

Dear guest,

We would like to thank you for your preference in selecting our Vik hotel Arena Blanca for your vacations, as well for letting us know about your recent visit; In our effort to continuously improve the quality of our services and facilities, we put our greatest interest and value in our guests’ opinion.
We regret that our hotel didn’t meet your expectations.

Reviewed January 16, 2013

I booked this hotel based upon my last stay here 8 years ago. I am writing this sitting in the lobby waiting for my flight out. Here goes.
The good. - upgraded rooms in building 4, the beach is still very nice, the coffee machines still work great and the maids still do a good job. The kids club mini disco is fun.
The bad - well we booked a superior ocean view room and ended up with a partial view of the ocean on the second floor mostly of the pool view. This resort now caters mostly to French guests from Paris. They have a club called lookie or something like that that is always blasting music from the pool side so you cannot nap in the afternoon. We had a toddler with us and this was a needed thing. The Italian restaurant was a hit and miss. The first time we went it was good, second the forgot our appies, didn't get our drinks and got no real service. The first week the staff around was quite rude but by the second week the got better. The front lobby staff is extremely rude especially the checkout girl. And don't bother to try and talk to the manager about any issues that may arise as he is also completely useless.
The offered my mother a complimentary diner to a restaurant because her husband has previously stayed with the Vik hotel group before, they didn't bother to offer me the same and I was the one that had stayed here when it was LTI 8 years ago and got our family to come. When we asked if they could add us they "the manager" said sorry its all full. Give me a break.
This place was so much better 8 years ago. We will not be returning ever again.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family