“in one word: AMAZING!!!!!”

VIK Hotel Arena Blanca
Ranked #76 of 112 Hotels in Punta Cana
Reviewed March 26, 2011

had a great vacation. we had a renovated room in bloc 4 with pool- and seaview. the room was very clean, even the bathroom was very nice!
the beach was the most beautiful beach i have ever been! white sand, blue sea, just perfect! and also very clean!
if you like snorkeling: its ok but if you ever been to egypt than you will be dissapointed... not much fish and only dead coral.
the food was good, every day something else.
nice cocktails and very good service!
we had a fantastic vacation and i recommend.
keep up the good work staff!

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Brien_Belgium
VHAB, Public Relations Manager at VIK Hotel Arena Blanca, responded to this reviewResponded April 3, 2011

Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing your experience and pictures with others through Trip Advisor.

We are glad that you enjoyed your stay and appreciate the feedback. We hope to have the pleasure to welcome you on a future vacation to our property.

We will make sure that the staff members you recognized in your letter receive a copy of it to let them know how their performance affected positively your stay.

Best Regards,

There are newer reviews for VIK Hotel Arena Blanca

Reviewed March 23, 2011

We arrived at the Hotel and my wife went to go and register us. She tripped over the step, which was not clearly marked and blended right in, and fell on both of her knees bruising them badly. I honestly thought she broke a kneecap because of the noise it made. She was ok, thankfully and she proceeded to check us in. When we got to our room it wasn’t a renovated room as I had called and requested and it didn’t have a king size bed (2 doubles) but the view was spectacular so we decided to keep our room. How much time do you spend in your room was our thinking. The beach was also spectacular....or at least that’s what we thought.
Our first couple of days was ok…except the vendors of course…as I said the view was AMAZING from our room….every morning the sun would rise right outside our balcony door across the water. On the third day we noticed these blister like things on my wife’s arms and back. She thought it was a heat rash however by the fourth day it was clear to us that it wasn’t a heat rash…that it was something else. By then she had them all over her body except parts that were covered. We asked around and one of the resort people told us it was sand fleas. She literally had thousands of bites from the four days she spent on the beach, all over her body. So, even though the beach was absolutely beautiful it definitely had its drawbacks. I had a few bites but nothing to write home about. We spent the rest of our sun time by the pool…..away from the sand.
There are plenty of excursions to choose from….we went on the Segway tour. There is a guy that rides around to the different resorts on a Segway and books the tours but try and bargain to get the price down….especially if you have a few people that are going to go. It was an awesome experience. Segways are the coolest. If you have never tried it…you have to go. The Segway tour also takes you to the other side of Punta Cana….the Caribbean side. The beaches are nicer and the water is much calmer than where we were. The resorts in the tour that we saw had golf courses attached to them….the tour guide said that they would easily be $6-7000 per person per week. NICE PROPERTIES!
As for the hotel, there were people from the hotel next door promoting a vacation club. Ya Right….its a time share….and the same gimmick and high pressure sales pitches we have all heard before. But….if you brave it out for an hour ….and you can say NO….you get 2 tee shirts and a hat each with the resorts name on them….not a bad haul for putting up with an hour of their pitch. We did it when it was raining anyways and they gave us drinks and cigars as well. They also allow vendors on the grounds of the hotel. I am not a fan of this myself as they had vendors right down the beach.
The food, well, I am a chef by trade and it wasn’t that the cooks didn’t know what they were doing or how to flavor meat….I think that the beef was NOT up to par. So it didn’t matter what they did or how much flavor they used it wasn’t going to be good. The pork was the same way. Anyone can cook chicken as it is the same in most parts of the world. Breakfast was always good but if you like jam you had better bring some. The Orange Juice was like Tang, you would think that you are in a Tropical place they would at least serve you fresh orange juice, I would have settled for frozen concentrate OJ instead of tang.
The resort itself is very nicely kept. Grounds people were always around cleaning something or straightening something up or out. There were plenty of bars and they were well placed around the resort. The resort is small so it took mins to get from one side to the other. The people were awesome but there was a definite language barrier there so it was hard to relay what you were trying to say sometimes.

It was a nice peaceful vacation with its drawbacks until the Friday of our trip when about 250 High School and College kids came in all at once. This turned our peaceful vacation into a not so peaceful vacation. It wasn’t that they were rude, it wasn’t that they were rowdy, I was a kid too and can appreciate that they want to have fun. It was the fact that when they went anywhere as a group in the hotel…. They were disruptive to the other guests. They would walk around during the day and drop “F” bombs in front of little kids. They monopolized the disco and the music, 15 and 16 year old kids were getting fed drinks by their older counterparts, getting drunk and then getting sick. The disco was NOT supervised by the hotel or by a chaperone and therefore you can imagine what went on.

All in all I wouldn’t give this hotel a 4 star rating. I got sick on the last day with a stomach ailment that I had for a week after I got home also this is because of the students and my wife’s flea bites. Something HAS to be done to get rid of the sand flea problem as other guests also had allot of bites. These parasites carry diseases such as malaria. I have posted a few pics please have a look and you will see what I mean.

We are not rookies to the travel scene. We have been travelling now for the last 8 years. We have seen our share of nice and not so nice resorts. This resort has the potential to be a 5 star resort but it falls short in a few major areas. I would rate this resort a 2.5 but I would give it a 3.5 if it weren’t for the sand flea problem.

I think its back to Jamaica for us next year.

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Reaper_11

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking time to write a review of our hotel in Tripadvisor.com which will help us to improve our quality and service in our hotel and we have taken your comments into account. We truly appreciate your positive comments.

Please take notice that renovated rooms are not subject to availability, this are the Deluxe rooms that are sold with different pricing, we can offer to our guest if they wish to change the posibility of doing so by purchasing the upgrade.

We are sorry that your wife had to experience some rash, please let us know if she was seen by the local doctor and diagnosed as flea sand bite, since this the first time we hear this, it truly surprises us. We follow a very strict fumigation program that covers all hotel rooms and area every fiftheen days.

On the other hand we are sorry you were not impressed with our Food and Beverage options.
We cater to people from all over the world and we normally receive good comments about our food variety and taste. We are sorry if you were not similarly impressed this time around.

Again thank you for sharing your comments and we are very sorry to read about the different problems you encountered in your last visit. We will really welcome if you could send us your contact information so we can discuss this further. Please contact us at c.socias@vikhotelarenablanca.net

Even though we saw your comment about not planning to return, we really hope you reconsider allowing us another opportunity in providing you a great vacation experience in the Dominican Republic. We look forward to the possibility of welcoming you back as part of our valued returning guests.

Public Relations and
Quality Assurance
c.socias@vikhotelarenablanca.net

Reviewed March 22, 2011

This was my third all inclusive trip and by far the worst. I had previously stayed at a 3.5 star in Punta Cana, called the Ifa Villa Bavaro (very nice resort) so considering this was a 4 star I thought it would be better. All the travel magazines and online sites indicated this was a 4 star resort, however that was not the case. I would compare it to a Motel 8, if your from Canada. We were at least hoping for a Howard Johnson! We booked for 14 nights, but got out of this place after 7....not without a fight!

When we arrived we were placed in an extremely foul smelling mouldy dirty room, with 2 dbl beds instead of a King which is what we requested. There was an old razor blade on the bathroom floor, stained bedspread, and the Resort had just finished renovating some rooms. We actually had a renovated room on the first floor, however they did not properly clean up as there was still plaster dust coating all the furniture. As I have allergies to mould, we looked into requesting a different room. The front desk was not at all helpful, and advised that the resort was over booked so there was no way we could get another room. The following morning we went to see our Tour Rep who looked into a new room right away and we were able to move up to a third floor room with a King bed on our third night there. The room was cleaner, did not smell quite as bad although was still musty, but it had rubber pillows! Like the ones from a hospital! So we called room service for new pillows (like a bunch of old cotton balls thrown into a pillow case, all lumpy) which weren't any more comfortable than the rubber ones but at least they didn't squeak when we rolled over. The door/locking mechanism on our new third floor room did not work properly, and wouldn't latch fully so whenever it was windy, which was every night, the door would bang loudly every 2 seconds. We fixed this problem by stuffing the door with kleenex around the lock, this stopped the banging.

The food was bad.... Half of the buffet food wasn't even labeled and you couldn't tell what it was...everything kind of resembled goulash.

The grounds, beach and pool were nice, however there was never any clean beach towels. We just ended up taking our room towels to the beach, hoping they would be replaced in our room..which they weren't so we had to call down for more towels.

The service was what really got me. I could live with the food, and the lumpy pillows and a musty room, however the service was terrible! At the a la carte restaurants you could wait in line forever, while a dozen servers walked by, looked at you, and kept on walking. No one to seat you at a table, no one to serve you once you got to that table, and it took forever for someone to take your order and then to get your food. We had to get up and get our own drinks at all the a la cartes. And its not as if the staff were really busy and just forgot...they would look right at you and then walk the other direction. I used to be a server so I'm generally a very forgiving customer, and a good tipper, however this service was just horrendously bad.

So after three days of this, I talked to the Nolitours rep about moving hotels. They advised that every hotel was all booked, and even over booked in some cases ( they were shipping ppl out on golf carts to tiny dirty condos that weren't even part of the resort, 1km up the road!) because it was Dominican Independence week. I don't think even 2% of guests were there because of Dominican Independence day...or even knew when/what it was, so you cant try and say that all 53 resorts along that strip of beach are full because of that. Our phone in our room didn't work when we tried to call the rep, and front desk would not let us use their phone to call, even though in our Nolitours book it says to go to the front desk if you need to talk to a tour rep after 7pm. So we went the next day and they still refused to let us use the phone. We went back to our tour rep who said she was trying to find us another resort for our second week but that she still hadn't found anything, and didn't think she would. She advised to come back the following day...and then the following day. So this goes on and on....no one is willing to help us, so finally I email a family member who is a travel agent in Toronto...she looks into it and sends us the name of 4 other resorts who have space. So I get into an argument with guest services who finally agrees to let me use the phone, by now its our 6th day there and our rep is on days off, so I know there is no way she is looking into moving us resorts, or that she cares at all since she said she would get in touch with us for the last three days and we hadn't heard anything from her. I called Nolitours headquarters in Montreal...who again tries to tell me there is no room anywhere else, until I tell her I already had another travel agent look into it and I have 4 resorts willing to take us. I told her I would stay on the line while she called each resort to book us a better room. After calling the first resort she came back on the line and had found us a room at a 5 star. The tour company refused to pay for a ride to the new hotel, so we paid 30 bucks for a cab and I had to pay an extra 400$ for the upgrade for the both of us, but it was well worth it. So we moved to the Catalonia Bavaro resort on the other end of the beach (near the airport) and it was fantastic! Like night and day! And as we called for a cab to the new resort, guest services finally decided to take the time and asked us why were leaving etc...I told them all of the above and they offered to upgrade us. Even if they had offered to upgrade us on day two I would have said screw it, this resort is not worth it. Talk about a stressful first week of vacation! Good thing we booked for 2 weeks!

So in conclusion, Don't waste your time or money on this resort. Thanks for reading all the way to the end! I apologize for the length of this review, but I needed to vent!

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank MacMorris

Dear Guest,

We are very sorry to read about the different problems you encountered in your last visit. We will really welcome if you could send us a more detailed information about your case. Please contact us at c.socias@vikhotelarenablanca.net

Reviewed March 21, 2011

stayed here 2 weeks had a great holiday food plenty and freshly cooked pools great and judi and all entertainment staff were superb mus do aerobics with judi its a scream would go back had a great time and weather superb been to north 3 times before this was a lovley holl .

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled with family
1  Thank shirl98

Dear Guest,

We were very happy to hear you enjoyed your stay with us and thank you for taking some of your precious time to let us know about it and post in on the internet for others to read.

Your comments and suggestions always help us measure our performance and also to find the areas with opportunities of improvement. We aim to always improve our product and services and contributions as yours help us in this never ending task.

We hope you allow us the chance of hosting you once again when and we hope to provide you with a great vacation experience in the Dominican Republic. Looking forward to welcoming you back as part of our valued returning guests.

Reviewed March 17, 2011

My trip was overnight, everything was good, we arrived at the hotel at 4am .Next day we asked to change the room and they were very friendly, yes it took us all day to change the room but by 10 pm we had the new key.Next day we were on the beach and a guy approached and said that he works for the hotel Cayena which was a lie his name was Julio , he started to talk about horse riding and a trip to saona isla, we bargained with him and at the end we bought these two excursions from him knowing that my travel agent told me not to buy excursion from people on the beach cause they take u and maybe they don't return you back to the hotel.We went next day for horse riding and it was awsome. The day after we were at the reception at 6:50 am without having our breakfast as they told there they will support food for breakfast and lunch. Our tour guids name was Miguel and please memorize his name cause he is so mean, we went with him to the island , everything was perfect untill he left the island with everybody except us, i was swimming with the kids and my husband relaxing , yes i saw people leaving the island but i never thought that they will leave without us, imagine nobody speaks English or french from the people who works on the Island , i was really affraid me and my husband with the kids, fortunatly my husband remembered the name of the stupid Miguel, thank god they put us on a boat and took us to the katamaran and this stupid guy didn't even apologize he just said that he waited 20 minutes after he left then he asked us just to stop talking and he said that there were no problem, they brought us to him, after i tried to take a picture for him to make evrybody aware from him but he was always hiding his face with a book but i finally could take one when i was in the bus. evrything else in the hotel was perfect.

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled with family

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking time to write a review of our hotel in Tripadvisor.

Please take notice that this Julio, worked for Pat Ranch, a company inside our hotel that is allowed to sell only allowed horse or buggy excursion. No excursions to any islands.I personaly found out about this, because of other guest who came to me commenting that they had an excuscursion to Saona. I inmediatly went to them and took Julio out of our property and he can't step one foot in our hotel.

On the other hand, its is very important that all guest go to their reps briefing information that your touroperator provides. This way guest understand that all excursions are recommend to only reserve thru your reps, this way you are 100% safe and protected.

We are very sorry to hear you had to experience this and still had the chance and manage to have a good time.

Best Regard,

Public Relations and
Quality Assurance
c.socias@vikhotelarenablanca.net

Reviewed March 16, 2011

We are from Canada,PEI. We had a great time. The hotel gave us the wrong room when we got there. It was at the back and no view. We stayed in building 4 which is the renovated rooms. If you want a great view, request #4215. It faces the pool and ocean.
The food was good always something to eat. The breakfast was the best. Lots to drink and everyone was great on the resort.

There are no big walks only on the beach so this is great everything is really close. The shows were great . If you have young kids they are a bit late after a long day at the beach. We went on 2 excurtions and booked them through our travel advisor.
They have lots of people in the resort trying to sell excurtions buy off your travel guide when you get there. I think it is safer.

We went on the glass bottom boat if you get sea sick dont do it. We went when we thought it was not windy and it was very rough..

We had a late flight so The room they gave us to shower in our last day was ok and did the job!!!

The pool seemed old but we spent the whole time on the beach. Lots of chairs on the beach. the sunrise is beautiful you need to get up and check it out.

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled as a couple

Dear Guest,

Thank your for posting your comment on Tripadvisor. It makes us very happy that above all troubles you had on your arrival, our team was able to flip it around for you to be able to enjoy your vacations as VACATIONS and as you deserve them.

Thank your for giving us the opportunity of hosting you here is our beautiful Dominican Republic, we look forward to welcoming you back as part of our valued returning guests at VIK Hotel Arena Blanca.

Please feel free to contact us at any time.

Warm Regards,

Reviewed March 15, 2011

As repeat guests, we were somewhat disappointed this time around. The food was decidedly inferior compared to our first time. The grounds are lush and well kept and the rooms are clean enough, but the pool was dirty with mold and flaking paint. The entire place has become somewhat shabby and could certainly use a good overhaul. The staff were friendly and helpful for the most part. This resort was rated a 4, but we would be hard pressed to award it even a 3 - very unfortunate, as we had good memories of it and this has been tarnished now. The worst was the arrival (on Friday, March 11th) of about 200 high school students on a "chaperoned" school trip.............they are most certainly NOT chaperoned, and very quickly ran rampant about the resort, pounding on our door after midnight, creating quite a ruckus until almost 6:00 am., and just being generally rude, drunk and obnoxious. We were young once as well, but this behaviour was over the top and not addressed by staff despite many complaints. We will not return.

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled as a couple

Dear Guest,

Thank your for taking the time to post your comments at Trip Advisor.

As our repeating guest we are very sorry to hear we have fell below your expectations this time around. We have been a part of the management team that took over the hotel three and a year ago and we do think, as most of the repetitive clients that have kept visiting us over the years that we have noticible improved and we are striving in keeping improving. We know that there are some areas of the hotel that would benefit significantly with some remodeling, and although we have started remodeling and/or updating some areas and services we hope we can cover the whole hotel in the next couple of years.

On the other hand, we apologize for the bad taste left caused by the kids who were staying here at that same time. Our partner from Canada “surprised” us with a large group of students, even though we are known as one of the resorts, that does not accept this kind of groups at all, but we did not had any chance but to go through with that, trying very hard to reduce any damage, by deploying more staff, more security and so on, but of course the kids our days are not easy to control, especially when on Spring Break. We have already taken precautions, so that such groups in the future will not be reserved in our resort.

Best Regards,