“Nice course”

$165.00*
and up
The Lakes Golf Club at Barcelo Hotel in Punta Cana
Reviewed January 4, 2013

Very pretty course. Nice layout, pretty landscaping. Could use a ranger to keep pace of play up to par, but worth playing.

2  Thank Larry G

Reviewed January 3, 2013

I just wrote a glowing review for the resort I stayed with. While leaving the resort I told a few newcomers that the only unpleasant experience I had while I was in the DR was this place.

The course was designed by PB Dye. PB's designs are usually uninspiring immitations of his father's work, but still better than the norm. As such, I couldn't complain about the layout. There were a few interesting and visually appealing holes; particularly the Par 3 9th and 12th holes and the Par 4 18th hole. The conditioning was poor. The fairways were saturated despite little rain prior to the round, and the greens were grainy. Although I will admit that the roll on the greens was relatively true despite the fact that they looked terrible. In my hometown (southeastern VA) you'd expect to pay about $35 off season and $65 during peak seasons.

Now allow me to start in on the pro-shop and cart barn staff. There was one pro-shop attendee. He wouldn't look me in the eye. He only glared at me and barely acknowledged my existence. I arrived prior to two other groups which he helped before me. I asked for a yardage guide and he acted like I was asking a stupid question. He spoke decent English to the early 30's European lady he helped before me (who entered the pro shop AFTER me), but when I was asking questions his English suddenly escaped him. He also tried to charge me for two rounds of golf because my wife was going to accompany me in the cart. The date I played was December 30th and it was a morning tee time. Having worked in pro-shops before, I found his behavior incomprehensible and I seriously hope he isn't a registered member of the PGA.

The cart barn staff didn't redeem the service aspect of my experience. First, we were supposed to be given drinks and a cooler. I received neither. After asking for range balls I was informed of their policy that prohibited hitting balls on the range any more than 10 minutes prior to the player's tee time. The reason I was given was that you should only need 10 minutes to hit the 10-15 balls they give you. Of course, none of this information was relayed politely. Furthermore, I wasn't permitted to ride the cart over to pick up my pregnant wife. Instead, she had to walk from the clubhouse to the cart barn. I showed one of the cart barn attendants my receipt and gave it to him. I was asked to see my receipt three separate times, as though they didn't trust that I had paid. The one inkling of positive service I recall from that day took place on the 10th tee. When we made the turn a gentlemen asked us if we wanted anything to drink. He then walked over to my cart and saw that I had no cooler. He asked why there wasn't one and then just rolled his eyes (I'm assuming he wasn't surprised that the barn staff sucks) and offered me his. He also complemented my wife, which goes a long way in my book. Unfortunately this one gentlemen's service doesn't redeem an overall awful experience.

I travel to play golf often. I'm not picky and I'm not bias. I wrote this review simply to help steer people from having the same experience I did. Stay away from this place. Spend the money for La Cana.

3  Thank VirginianTraveler328
Reviewed December 30, 2012

It was a beautiful day for golf, very nice course and the weather, although very hot, was great. I would definitely recommenend this course.

Reviewed December 17, 2012

The new design, the condition of play, the smiling service. They even kept our club free. Also the clubhouse is nice and the food as good as the Palace de luxe. There are tees for all level. This course will humble you very fast if you think you are better then you actualy are.

Reviewed December 2, 2012

renewed golf course of Barcelo located in Bavaro, entering Barcelo Hotel Deluxe, golf cart was included, very nice golf course

3  Thank Milos K