Sirenis Punta Cana Resort Casino & Aquagames
Ranked #74 of 112 Hotels in Punta Cana
Reviewed July 16, 2010

My boyfriend and I just returned from a five day stay at the Sirenis and we absolutely loved it!

We stayed there from Friday, July 9 through Thursday, July 15. When we first arrived it was around 10pm and the lobby was lively with guests and a live band for entertainment. Now this is my first time at an all-inclusive resort so call me naive if you will but I found that quite incredible especially because it is an open air lobby/bar so the lack of air conditioning was sorely felt. When checking in, the man who helped us was bouisterous and loud but not in an obscene way. We instantly felt welcome. The grounds are beautiful and I greatly enjoyed the Taino god statues that they had placed around the resort. It shows that they have not completely forgotten thier history. Upon reaching our room, however, I was a little disappointed. The pillows were lumpy and we had been told we were to get an ocean view room but the view that we had was of a pool and very slightly off in the distance you could see the ocean. Sure, it technically had an "ocean view" but not what we expected. The room felt very hotel-y like a Best Western and the bath tub in the bathroom was worn away in some places and the shower had very little water pressure. Those are just trivial things, though, and I don't mind things like that but I am trying to be nitpicky, besides we didn't spend alot of time in the room anway.

The resort also has several different restraunts, including the Restraunt Buffet Cocotel Macao, thematic restraunts, and Restraunt Snack Bohio and Batey. Macao (the buffet) offered several variates of food that varied everyday with each meal. I can understand how some reviewers have said that the food is bland - because it is but I don't consider it in a bad way. It was still very good and I was sorely cross whenever I missed a meal. Now my other favorite was the Snack Bohio and Batey. It was more of a lunch/snack style buffet but I absolutely LOVED the hamburgers there. I think I had one everyday. We only had the chance to try the Japanese themed restraunt, Jade. That one was ok. It was Hibachi styled so the chef cooked in front of you. The rice I had was over cooked and the food was heavily drenched in soy sauce but the squid was cooked perfectly so that it was not tough to chew.

We didn't spend anytime in the pools so I can't say much about those except that they looked very nice and were kept very clean. The beach was lovely (although cigerette butts from smokers littered some places, ew) and there were plenty of beach chairs but hardly any shade, the little thatched roof huts they offered were always taken up but that wasn't so much of a big deal either. It offered kayaking and sailing in the ocean for those who were willing to try it. At one point while we were out swimming, a couple's kayack had tipped over and floated over to us so my better half brought it to the shore while the couple was eventually rescued.

The other thing I would like to touch on is the nightly entertainment they had in the theatre. It was amazing! We were very sceptical about it at first but after we went to the first show we didn't miss a single one after it until the night before we had to leave. I did enjoy the audience participation skits and the entertainers kept you laughing. At one point they had even hosted a circus that had come all the way from Santo Domingo! If given the chance I strongly recommend that you go. It was a different themed show every night and was well worth the time spent in the hot, humid air.

Other than the small things I could find to nitpick it was an especially amazing place with very friendly hotel staff. I would recommend this hotel to people who are less concerened with luxury and more concerned with the fun and exciting things the Dominican Republic has to offer.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled as a couple
6  Thank AllenandFay_03

Reviewed July 16, 2010

Flights good transfer quick n easy when we got to hotel met by bell boys Fanklin and Jesus (dominicans ant n dec ) rooms clean and spacious pool fantastic pool bar run by Henry n Carlos beach bar run by Roo n beach BBQ cooked by Joe delecious animation team worked very hard nite n day resturants were all very good staff frendlly n polite bar in main hotel nite n day at nite we were looked after by Melvin. Weather 1 wet day out of 14 so can t complain we went down to spa n were you can loads free massages pedicures etc chargeable. Book your trips with man near jewellery shop in main hotel . The only complaint we have is the room maid on several occasions did nt turn up till 4-5pm to clean rooms just when we got back ready for a nice air conditioned chill berfore a re start for the nite. Went on one trip the catermeran shark n stingray fantastic good value for money Hloday stay 30-062010-14-07-2010

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled with friends
2  Thank salick
Reviewed July 15, 2010

I've been to Punta Cana before. We stayed at the Riu. It was a great experience except the food. So when I read the review for this hotel, and people said it was better quality, my sister and I booked it.

We had a couple of issues with getting a room on the first floor because we had a baby/stroller, but it was finally worked out. If you keep asking them, they'll fix it. The room was pretty big. It had one room with the beds, as well as a room with a couch. We couldn't have asked for a better space, and the rooms were clean. Just one thing, expect to pay for everything. You have to pay for the safe everyday if you want to use it, if you lose your towel cards, internet (which is slow). We had to pay going into the Punta Cana airport as well, so have money on you then. Just a little tip, when getting out of the airport, there are guys lined up trying to take your bags to your bus. Don't bother, if you continue on, just find your tour stand and they'll tell you where to go. Those guys carry your bags for 2 minutes and expect a tip.

The beach was beautiful, as well as the pool. The resort itself was great. If I had to rate it on just that, I would give it a higher rating.

The problem is with the food. Breakfast ends at 10 and lunch doesn't start until 1. I found this to be a problem. With an infant, it wasn't always possible to get out before 10 and we would miss the buffet. (If you do make it, and you get eggs made, ask them for well done otherwise they are runny). Between the two meals, there was a small spread of food. The only thing edible were danishes and some fruit.
At lunch time, there was a bbq stand on the beach. The chicken was pretty good. They have hotdogs, which are boiled first then put on the bbq for a second. If you want to snack between lunch and dinner, they have the old hotdogs and hamburgers from lunch, which were not too tasty.
Once again, lunch ends at 3, and dinner doesn't start until 7. If you eat at the buffet for dinner, I would settle for the make your own pasta.

Restaurants: we went to most of the restaurants, trying to get away from the buffet.
1. The steak restaurant was ok. They have a small buffet of apps. They were mostly the same at every restaurant. The meat was definitely not the best quality.
2. The italian was probably my least favourite. The pizza wasn't awful, but not good. We also got osso bucco risotto. Risotto was just half cooked rice.
3. We went to the seafood restaurant. I didn't mind this. I had the tuna (not fresh fish, from a can) as an app and chicken as my meal. My sister had the soup with different fish in it. She thought it was terrible.
4. The teppanyaki. This was one of the better ones. They give you a bit of chicken, beef, veggies, rice and you can have squid and shrimp as well.

Overall, the food was not good. My sister and I love food, but we weren't excited to go for lunch and dinner because we were always disappointed. Besides the food, I had a great time. Do I want to go back to Punta Cana? Yes but I won't because the food is just bad.

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled with family
1  Thank meredithppp
Reviewed July 13, 2010

This place is absolutely amazing! The hotel is gorgeous...the rooms are light with massive ceilings, pool is huge and well maintained, beach is stunning and theres plenty of sunbeds around the pool and on the beach, entertainment team are fantastic keeping us amused throughout the day with games and entertainment especially the evening shows which brilliant! Oh and a disco on resort for the youngsters I loved it in there!! Food was great something different on offer every day and there are various restauraunt you can go to - however book as soon as you arrive they get very busy, spa was nice but expensive e.g.massage and facial $148.00, staff are friendly and very helpful couldnt fault it will definately be going back.!

Things to be aware of :-
Mosquitos - Take lots of insect repellent for the evening they are usually about.

Belly aches- Take tablets,you can try avoiding it but salad etc washed in their water is enough to upset your tummy take some diacalm! Highly recommended!

Sales People - Offering a one off payment for a holiday plan that you can use for the next 25 years at any of their hotels...seems good but theres lots of clauses once you sign up e.g. you can use one week per year, certain rooms arent included therefore you would pay extra etc. and you only find this out after your have paid a £2000 deposit non refundable. Get the facts before you sign up!

Excursions - Take extra money for excursions, trips are very good but they do come at a price simple trips like shopping start at $60.00 and visiting islands $99-$125.00. So be prepared to pay extra if you wish to go off resort. Rather hard to explore without going through the hotel excursions as the area is rather isolated until you drive out of punta cana.

Overall - My holiday was amazing the best holiday I have been on (and I've been on a lot!) you get to experience things you can only dream of ...photos with monkeys snakes and parrots, diving for starfish, buggy riding through domincian, drinkin from coconuts it was just beautiful. I would recommend it to anyone and I will definately be returning cant wait to go back! :-)

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled with family
2  Thank josieleekent
Reviewed July 13, 2010

First of all,dont listen to the the bad reveiws.This hotel is great and the grounds are kept spotless.
We went with Thomas Cook and to be honest,we dont think we will travel with them again only because of the flight.
I will get this out of the way before i tell you about the hotel.I am a disabled and requested front seats as i needed more leg room and to be near the toilet.We got on the plane only to be told that the front seats we requested were not ours as the 'premium seats' had over booked,so they needed the front seats because of this.So we got put on the seats behind which didnt really bother me.Mid flight the front toilets had become blocked so was told i had to use the other toilet.The toilet i was shown,was the one downstairs and was never told that there was a toilet at the back of the plane.The thomas cook staff just stood there,and watched me struggle to get down stairs.Then someone was sick all over the floor next to the toilets,thomas cook staff just put a blanket over the sick and left it there all flight.The plane stank of sick and was awfull.

Hotel:
its kept spotless,the garden staff work hard all day and do a great job.
The swimming pool is massive and has two swim up bars.We only went the pool once as the beach is awsome.
The beach is spotless and there are plenty of beds.I suggest you go to the left and head towards the little shops on the beach near the speed boat as its really quiet.
Watch out for the men selling the time shares on the main walkway.just say no thanks as we got sucked in and wasted 90 mins of our time. They will say they give you a vip breakfast,but its all a con to get you to do the 90 min room tour. JUST SAY NO THANKS.

Rooms:
cleaned everyday,mini fridge is stocked every day.give the maid a dollar tip or take some perfume,aftershave etc they will look after you then.

Food:
no probs,buffet was fine with a big selection.
La Carte places are all good, Jade is lovely.

Entertainment:
shows on everynight , MJ show was tthe best and the Circus.
For best cocktails,go to the bar in the lobby... great drinks and they have a band on most nights.

Two Thomas cook reps do a great job and sorted our problems straight away.
Weather : 2 days of rain with a thunder storm,overwise it was hot hot hot !!!
Enjoy

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled with friends
3  Thank andylpool
Reviewed July 11, 2010

Stayed at Sirenis from 16th to 30th June inclusive. Out of the 14 days 4 were sunny and 2 were good for snorkelling otherwise the sea was too choppy, sandy and weedy.

The is plenty of food in the buffet restaurant and it is tasty but my wife had food poisoning for the 2 weeks we were there and I had it 4 or 5 times on and off. We were not the only ones with stomach problems. We tried two a la carte restaurants which were good.

The buffet restaurants were crowded and noisy because some of the restaurants were closed. At weekends it was made worse by bus loads of local weekend trippers.

The grounds are great with plenty of space, big pools and and lots of beach furniture.

One of the worst aspects of the hotel was noise, everywhere it was noisy from the staff shouting at 5 a.m. Holidaymakers at 1 a.m. To get peace and quiet you have to become a recluse which means a long walk to the bars to get a drink.

The suites are spacious with tired furniture and fittings and no sound insulation.

You will get hassled to upgrade your room.

The hotel internet service is rubbish and gave us problems when we tried to use it.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank SnorkellerLondon
Reviewed July 7, 2010

My partner and i were a little anxious about this holiday as it was an 8 1/2 hour flight, and our first family holiday with our 11 month old daughter. We had read reviews on this site and they were very mixed, as well as having checked the weather forecast only too find it to be raining for the next week. the flight over was as you'd expect long.... but luckily for us our daughter was very well behaved when not sleeping, and we were lucky enough to have a very child friendly couple in front and another family to the side. whilst landing we noticed the rain to our dissapointment. we all proceeded to pay our tax, get our luggage and find our transfer coaches, this was all very quick and efficient. the transfer to the sirenis in the rain really didn't do the country justice. upon arrival we were greeted with a drink the bell boy took our bags and check-in was very short and smooth. we got to our room which was clean and tidy and very very cool (ahhh air-con). unfortunately there were a few issues with our room, there was no plug and the water was cold also we had requested a double bed to be removed as we had a cot in our room as well which left no room really at all. these were all issues we had spoken about with thomas cook months prior to our trip, so it was not the hotels fault. in the morning we reported it to the rep who in turn spoke to the hotel who kindly moved us to a more suitable room with an even better view. the food at the buffet is great breakfast lunch and dinner. we ate at all the restaurants, the japanese was really good a different dining experiance, but for us the steakhouse and italian were gorgeous. the staff were all so kind and friendly especially towards our daughter who loved every minute of all the attention they paid her. the pools were amazing, always a chair available- no annoying germans down there at 5am putting there towels on them..... drinks in the pool bar from 10am onwards. the sea was warmer than the pool, sailing, kayacking and snorkelling even a try at scuba diving all included. i love diving so it was a must on this holiday, but before this we decided to do the shark and stingray trip. my partner is not a lover of boat trips, but after a 45 minute coach trip on a unique old american school bus..... with no windows. we arrived at a gorgeous beach, even nicer than the hotel. after having a swim for half hour, a loud party boat pulled up to our horror it was the shark and stingray boat..... with our daughter we were not impressed.... but how wrong were we, what an atmosphere, when your on board it really doesnt seem that loud:) and again our daughter wasnt complaining at the staff showing her loads of attention. The next trip we booked was diving:) a day out to catalina island, now i was told by the guy at seapro divers this was an amazing dive trip.... so partner, daughter and another family we had met in tow off we went. this time a 1hr 1/2 coach journey but on a newer but surprisingly more uncomfortable coach, our dive guide fabio acted as our tourguide too. he was great. top marks. the dive boat was not what we expected at all, very basic, but after setting off we lived with it. the first dive site was ok, the best bit was diving without a wetsuit in water 27.c next on to a site near catalina island, whilst underwater a smaller boat came and picked partner and those who were not diving up to take them to catalina island. we joined them after the dive, food was served, then we had about an hour or so to relax. catalina island was picturesque..... the real caribean perfectly clear blue water, white sand etc. and a gift shop who were really friendly not pushy and ended up just giving my partner and daughter prezzys. on the way back again the atmosphere was amazing. after a week of the weather being sunny (tropical) with a few showers which were needed if you ask me. we thouroughly enjoyed ourselves and would recommend the sirenis and the dominican to anyone, and dont listen to all the people who if you ask me expect way to much. and if you are thinking of getting married, look into catalina island.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled with family
Grand Bahia Principe Turquesa
Grand Bahia Principe Turquesa
#62 of 112 in Punta Cana
Caribe Club Princess Beach Resort & Spa

Been to Sirenis Punta Cana Resort Casino & Aquagames? Share your experiences!