“Disappointment”

Ranked #74 of 112 Hotels in Punta Cana
Bayonne, New Jersey
“Disappointment”
Reviewed April 11, 2013

I've just came back. I will start with saying that I will never go back to Dominican Republic. It is difficult to communicate with people, some staff members are rude.
Examples: at the airport (no airconditionning) I said to the person checking passengers in: I am booked for next flight do you have vacant seats on this flight. He didn't answer. So I repeateated very slowly. He smiled and pointed at the waiting area saying "seats". I am positive that they had vacant seats at least in business class, but unfortunately I couldn't communicate with this airport employee.
Can you imagine public restrooms everywhere (resort, airport) without aircondittioning?

Coming back to Sirenis. After checking in and getting to the room I needed a nap. OMG! I look at the sheets and pillows and I can't believe my eyes. Sheets all wrinkled like somebody just got up, fresh blood stains. Hair and makeup on pillowcases. I had to go couple of times to the reception to get someone and change the bed. I do not know how clean was the blanket. The bed didn't have a headboard. There was a porous stone wall. Mattress was very hard.
Jacuzzi looked dirty and had all type of hair in it. Mirror in the bathroom was covered with spills. Overall the room was dirty.
Airconditionning was working but I couldn't change the temperature. It was fixed.
All my warm clothes that was in the closed for almost a week stank mold. I was embarrased. Perfume didn't help much.
It was difficult to sleep with a very loud music till way after midnight and then drunk people screaming , singing till 4 AM. Where was security?
They were surprised when I asked for the radioclock. They do not supply this kind of luxury.
Little refrigirator was very rusty and noisy. I had to unplug it for the night.
Casino is a joke. It was supposed to be opened at 2 PM but actually they were opening at 7 PM.
30 machines. Nobody won a penny and the cashiers were cheatting. I gave $60 in tokens and she gave me 5 ten dollar bills. My dirty look made her give me another $10.

Food... well I wasn't hungry but the choice was rather poor. They do not know how to prepare fish and if you want to eat any meats you may just chew on your shoe sol. The wine is horrible; red and white vinegar. I went to a snack bar and I lost my apetite seeing black birds enjoing displayed food and using the countertop as a bathroom! There was nobody to be there in an open space.
The best part of this stay was that mosquitos were eating me during the night. I killed several of them. I got from the reception some kind of repellent but it looks like it attracted them even more. My hand and face are all covered with red marks.
The only thing that I liked was grounds. They are beautiful.
For the money that I spent I would have much better vacation for example in Cancun.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank zofjoe

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,052)
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
Reviewed April 10, 2013

Where should I begin... I'm a writer, but I'm not a writer for this resort. I'm a writer who happened to vacation here upon the suggestion of my 30+-year-old daughter who said, "Look into Punta Cana, Dominican Republic. We loved it there last year. Great all-inclusive deals, also." We chose Sirenis Cocotal and absolutely, positively loved it... We wonder about the nice folks who take their time to write reviews with such bad things to say... It is all about expectations, I suppose. To secure the credibility as an independent critic, I'll first condemn their "casino." Don't bother, and if a casino is important for your choice of resorts; click to the next resort choice. One night (April 3rd or 4th), was nice with a delightful hostess. Other nights, the mood was dark, surly, disinterested and annoying. With that one bad review, everything else is exceptional!!!

THE ROOM - Building I, room 204 was a fabulous room with a spectacular 150 degree view of the beach, ocean and pool complex. As is typical in much of the world, the third floor is often numbered in the "twos" as the ground level is the "zero" level. A third floor, ocean-view upgraded room is highly recommended by me.

THE RESORT - Amiability is a good word to describe the staff. Simple. They are genially, smilingly happy to see you and they demonstrate it in all they do. They "get it."

THE BEACH - Plenty of sun or lots of shade or alternating simple slide of the lounger from your tiki-hut to the sunny beach a few foot slide this way or that... The sand is beige and is a "clingy" sand of finely and coarsely ground coral. Lovely, slight tide differentials, tight beach maintenance and amidst a well-cropped coconut palm grove. The water is a beautiful blue-green-aqua, depending on the depth, bottom, and sunlight. Daily beach aerobics.

THE POOL(S) - Incredible pool complex starts with a "beach-like" walk-in pool that allows bathers to simply walk in to the pool as the depth gradually increases to waist level or so for a spacious area for lounging or daily water volleyball. Chest-level water takes you to the elevated stools of the "swim-up" bars. A swim under the foot bridge takes one to the deeper pool with the "Mermaid" islands.

THE "ANIMATION GROUP" - The reason to come back to this place, the thing that differentiates this resorts from the others, is the "Animation Team." These talented, delightful, and dedicated group of young adults (18-25+) will delight, entertain, teach and engage you if you want. Up to you... Watch and enjoy or join-in. No worries... No individual pressure. Very well done and always fun... See their fun beach activities, dance lessons and pool games and then go to the well ventilated, covered, open-air theatre for their fantastic shows every night at 9:30. Every night is a different show. Always great fun for the open-minded and plain fun-loving folks. We loved it any night we went. These are exceptionally important differentiatiators for this resort.

THE BUFFETS - Fabulous. This is a very nice place with consistently great food, presented nicely all day long, in one place or another. I don't know what you review readers expect, but we loved the food, the quality, the quantity, the flavor and the variety. The gelati or ice cream was always a delightful surprise. Fruit, desserts, croissants, fish, pork roast, veal, veggies and even the gross-looking Euro-breakfast cold-cuts, boiled eggs, granola, cheese and other crap they eat. Plenty of something for everyone.

THE BARS - What do you want? Beer, mixed, tropical, wine, after-dinner... they will serve it with a smile... I tipped a buck here and there and often found the same bartenders every day or night. As the world turns; tips will lubricate the system. I also believe that a few bucks here and there, although not expected, is quietly appreciated by these lovely and friendly people. I am certain that every dollar is well appreciated and well used for their lives and families. Or leave your wallet at home. The service will be the same.

THE A LA CARTES - Mediterranean was non-note-worthy. The host on the night we went was detached. The food was O.K. Nice outdoor seating. The host warned us that mosquitos were outdoors. We think he didn't want to walk out to the nice outdoor tables. No mosquitos, nice table, so-so food and service.
ITALIAN restaurant is fantastic! Best Carbonara and best risotto con funghi ever!!! Salad/appetizer bar beginnings are delicious...
JAPANESE restaurant is very good with the 15+ seat hibachi tables. Fun, good salad/appetizer bar and typical cooking show.
STEAKHOUSE - We had a fabulous tenderloin! I ate mine and the rest of my wife's steak. Great setting, great salad/appetizer bar and, as always, friendly and efficient service.

We loved this place and I must say that there were problems with our room, our door, and a minor irritation here or there. Their responses were prompt, apologetic and efficient. Stuff happens... They really get it. They know how to delight! Don't expect 5 star and formal service staff. This is a very nice, high quality resort with 5 star grounds and just plain friendly staff and a resort that will delight you...

Room Tip: Ask for a third floor, ocean-view upgrade in building I. Our room in I-204 was spectacular!
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
5 Thank Barry D
Cocotalbeach, In House Manager at Sirenis Punta Cana Resort Casino & Aquagames, responded to this review, April 14, 2013
Hello Barry D,
Thank you very much for your extended review showing in detail the reality of our resort.
I have to say that i am working on improving the service we offer at the casino to like this, enhace the whole experience at the resort.
I didn’t get the opportunity to meet you (this time) but I leave you my email if you decide to come back to contact me personally to alongside the whole team of Sirenis make your holidays memorable.
Email: assistdir.dom@sirenishotels.com
New York
Reviewed April 9, 2013

First time in Sirenis in late march 2013. overall nice vacation, however few disappointments: food is below average, no variety, pretty much the same thing every day. you're only allowed two restaurant reservations per stay, which means the rest of the days you eat all meals at the buffet. they say on their website that they have kids club, but they don't. they have a small covered area on the beach which is old, and doesn't have staff there most of the time. They do have staff that organizes some activities for kids in am and pm, but parents have to be present too. On the positive note, they have THE BEST NIGHT ENTERTAINMENT of all the resorts I've been to, and I've been to 6 different resorts. The entertainment is very good for both adults and kids. Rooms are good because they have separate bedroom, plus living room space, but the living room space is not cozy. So, overall we had a great time.

Room Tip: we stayed in building G on Tropical Side on first floor and it was very nice and quiet room
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank janetepny
tropicalsuitescasino, In House Manager at Sirenis Punta Cana Resort Casino & Aquagames, responded to this review, April 14, 2013
Hello janetepny,
Thank you for your review that it stating some good points at the same time that is mentioning some other points where we are already working on like the kids club.
This area at the beach is going to be increase with games and toboggans for the kids in the near future.
I also have to say that the buffets are continuously looking for improvement for the joy of our customers.
I leave you my email if you decide to return to the hotel in the future to make sure everything runs smoothly to you.
Regards
Email: assistdir.dom@sirenishotels.com
Montreal, Canada
Reviewed April 8, 2013

I stayed at Sirenis cocotal from march 31st to April 7th 2013 with a group of friend (7 persons). Overall the resort is good but not great and I would not go back because of my preferences in a hotel but it is still a pretty good resort if location, hard beds and average food don't bother you.

ROOMS
The rooms were nice decoration wise and was a decent size. The balcony was also pretty nice. Keep in mind that you have to pay to use the safe. It cost 21$ for the week (3$ per day) and they ask you a deposit of 50$ that they giveback at the end of the stay when you bring back the key (yes a key not a combination safe. Pretty old school but works great =) ). We did have alot of mosquitoes in the room, but there were a lot on the resort so they came in when we came in. The downside of the room was the bed. It was HARD. I had the impression of sleeping on a wood plank (i usually like a soft bed but my friend that likes hard one also found it was too hard and the rest of the group agreed). Appart from the bed the room was fine.

FOOD
The food was pretty average. I don't recall hating anything but for the most part it was just ok (and that is including 2 a la carte restaurant: the mediteranean and the steakhouse). Now the only exceptions to that was the fish and the grill place on the beach (the chicken and the pork chops) was VERY good. The wine was bad (but it usually is in these kind of resort) but the coffee and the drinks were up to expectations!

LOCATION
This resort is pretty remote :1h drive from the airport and the excursions are even further away. So if you are planning on doing a few excursions it probably isin't the place for you, but if you prefer to stay on the resort it's perfect since the beach is very private.

Ok so now the good points =)

BEACH
The beach is great! If you like long strolls on the beach you are going to love this one. There is some seaweed but now enough to annoy you (and i hate seaweed). We did have trouble finding lounge chairs on the beach, but i believe the resort was full so if you aren't going in a peak week i do not believe you would have trouble finding a chair.

GROUNDS
The grounds are beautiful and well kept. It is a big resort but everything is near the beach so you don't need to walk that much. There is also cats, dogs and 3 peacocks on the resort grounds =)

STAFF
The staff is great. Everyone is so friendly and always has a smile. The animation is really good and there is always something to do on the resort: beach aerobics, water aerobics, dance lessons, pool games, etc. The shows at night are pretty good also.

USEFUL THINGS TO KNOW
- The waterpark is NOT included you can buy a 3 day pass or an afternoon pass.
- The safe is not included (21$ for 7 days + 50$ deposit) as i mentionned
- The drinks at the disco are not included (around 3$ a glass depending on what you are drinking) and they don't let you bring a glass you got at the lobby.
- Mosquitoes! Bring some ''OFF''

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
3 Thank Ms_Amy-A
Hello Ms_Amy-A,
Thank you for your review. I am very glad to hear that the overall opinion that you have of the resort is good.
I have to say that we are always working in ways to improve our service and that is why any comment is always taking into account.
I also have to inform you that the Aquapark will be free of charge for all our customers in-house from May 1st.
Feel free to contact me if you decide to come back at assistdir.dom@sirenishotels.com
Cleveland, Ohio
Reviewed April 8, 2013

Overall, this resort was very good including the accomodations, scenery, food, and staff. It has some areas it could improve, but none would prevent me from making a return trip. The trip was booked through Apple Vacations and I recommend usin them for travel planning to this resort. Johan at the reception desk was very helpful and answered many questions we had during our stay.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Hello erim18,
Thank you very much for your review. I am very happy to know that you will return to the hotel at the same time that I invite you to discuss with me those areas that could improve.
Please do not hesitate to write me at assistdir.dom@sirenishotels.com if you want to do so, or if you just want to come back, to make sure you have brilliant holidays with us.
Joaquin Mateo
Toronto, ON
Reviewed April 8, 2013

We were last here at Sirenis Cocotal back in 2010 and we really enjoyed the resort and the people there. Check in was quick and easy. We were given a garden view room 105 in Building D. It was renovated/refreshed compared to what we experienced 3 years ago. The rooms are smaller than what we've had at other Caribbean resorts. In particular the washroom is quite small which I found this time around more annoying.

This was the first year we encountered noisy neighbours in the 10 years that we've been to all-inclusive resorts. We were eventually able to move out and upgraded to a nice oceanview suite on the Tropical side for $25/day extra. We had room T103 which had a great view of the beach and ocean.

We found the mattresses HARD in both rooms. Definitely the worst mattresses we've slept on ever. This can be a deal breaker for most travellers...how are you supposed to get rest and relaxation when your bed is so uncomfortable? I could see myself not coming back to Sirenis for a third time for this reason alone.

On a positive note, the food was very good overall. You shouldn't go hungry at this resort. There's decent variety and most foods are quite tasty. Sure there were a few meat options that were overcooked and tough but you will certainly find an alternative there.

We bought a half day pass for the Aquagames waterpark at the resort. From 1pm to 5pm, the cost is $20 per adult and $10 per child. Our kids are ages 5 and 6 and were limited to the side of the park with apparatus suitable for young kids. The pirate ship is pretty cool. The larger water slides are for 8 year olds and up. I tried them all and they were pretty fun.

Overall we had a good time. Sirenis was our favorite resort out of a dozen or so resorts we've been to in the Caribbean. After this year's experience, it has dropped a notch or two. I'm still on a quest to find a resort that combines the best of all the resorts we've been to!! Any suggestions? :)

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Keith T
Gravenhurst, Ontario
Reviewed April 6, 2013

This was our first time in Punta Cana and the Tropical Suites Resort. We arrived March 23 and stayed for 10 days. Check-in was easy and everyone spoke english at the counter. Our room was a suite, so we had a living-room also. It was clean, tidy and bug free. We had 2 TVs, but only one of the remotes worked so we had to change channels manually on that TV (no biggie). The fancy shower-head didn't work so we used the hand-held spray nozzle instead. We didn't complain about this, but i'm sure if we did they would have tried to fix it. Other than that we were pleased with the accommodations. The bar fridge is stocked with pop, water and beer. We left our maid a tip everyday, but still we would find that she forgot to leave us facecloths, towels and coke. Not sure if she was fishing for a bigger tip, but we felt what we left her was plenty.
The service on the rest of the resort is top-notch. Everyone is pleasant and most can speak english. Your wine/water glass will never be empty at the restaurants. We went for a couple of spa treatments and I thoroughly recommend Margarita for a wonderful facial. The only negative thing I can say about the staff is the guys that work for the time-share company (gold ties). They can grate on your nerves after awhile. We avoided the VIP breakfast because you will spend the better part of a day in the conference room hearing about the time-shares.
We stayed in building Q and quite liked its location. It was close to the pool and ocean, but in a quiet area of the resort. It was also close to the steak house restaurant, which was a buffet during the day. The pool meanders through the ocean side of the property. It has many different depths and is suitable for all ages. I think there are two pool bars. The beachfront goes on forever. It can be a bit windy, though.
Like most resorts you have to get up early in the morning to secure a chair at the pool/ocean.
The food at the buffet is ok. Lots of choice, but not much that suited our appetite. The desserts were usually yummy. We also ate at the italian, ordering lasagna and spaghetti. It wasn't a good choice for us, because the ground beef is not the same as we have in Canada. Next we tried the asian, and it was wonderful. The hibachi chefs really put on a show and the food is tasty. A couple of days later we tried the steak house. The chicken is ok, but my boyfriend ordered the steak and he said it was tough and fatty. We did order room service one night and it arrived within 20 minutes.
Overall, we thoroughly enjoyed the Sirenis and would consider returning in the future.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
5 Thank Dena50
Hello Dena50,
I am really happy to hear that you enjoyed your time with us and that you would consider paying us a visit in the near future.
I also thank you for all your comments that is helping me to see where can we improve our services at the same time that is allowing me to see where we are doing the things in the right way.
Please take my email assistdir.dom@sirenishotels.com to contact me directly if you decide to come back.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Punta Cana
#63 of 112 in Punta Cana
VIK Hotel Cayena Beach
VIK Hotel Cayena Beach
#80 of 112 in Punta Cana

Been to Sirenis Punta Cana Resort Casino & Aquagames? Share your experiences!