“A fabulous week”

Ranked #32 of 111 Hotels in Punta Cana
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
“A fabulous week”
Reviewed April 13, 2014

We arrived on April 5th at the Grand Palladium Bavaro as part of the "Travel Club". A friend had sold us one of his weeks, so we were there with a few added perks. We had a wonderful week and would have no problem recommending this property, with a few caveats. Here are my thoughts:

The property:
HUGE!!! 4 resorts within one. We stayed at the Bavaro Suites Resort and Spa, building 29, room 1292. Close to the beach, close to one of the lunch buffets and close to one of the pools. This is the most recently renovated part of the property. Our room was spacious, comfortable and very clean. No bugs, no A/C problems. We met people who stayed at the Palace section and had all kinds of problems with bugs, A/C and general upkeep, so the Bavaro is the place to be... worth all the extra dollars. WARNING: It is hard to convey how big this property is. We are very fit (I cycle 100+km regularly) and like to walk, but even we found the walking a bit of a challenge. However, there is ample transportation provided with golf carts and a passenger train making regular trips around the resort.

Staff:
AWESOME! If you are lucky enough to encounter Luis Roberto as your bellboy, please say hello from David, Dorothy and Emma. He did everything to make our stay fabulous and he is one of the main reasons I would return. The staff at the Travel Club were great too, Yoel in particular. Daniel was also very good to us, even offering to look after Emma for us if we wanted dinner out ourselves. Everyone at the buffet was great and Nevim really looked after us at the Bamboo a la carte when we dined there. I can't imagine anyone complaining about staff or service. our worst experience? We had to wait 20 minutes for our server to remember to bring us a coke one day - Woe is me!!!

The beach:
Incredible. There is no beating the beach in the Punta Cana/Bavaro region. Never had a problem getting a lounge chair, and most days we could find shade under a palapa, despite not venturing out before 9 or 10 am.

The food:
Buffets:
This is where I am maybe being picky. We enjoyed the buffet which had lots to choose from every day. However, for breakfast and lunch, it was the same choice every day with very little variety form day to day. This really is picking at straws though. Most people won't have any problem with the food. The dinner buffet was very good with a different theme every night. I have to say that we found the buffet schedules odd. Breakfast wasn't until 7 (I am up by 6), closed at 10 and then the lunch buffets didn't open until 12 or 1. Takes some getting used to. The lunch buffets close by 4 and dinner starts at 7. Most of the a la carte restaurants opened at 6.

A la carte:
We ate at the Steak House (La Parilla), Japanese (Sumptuori), Brazilian (Rodizio) and Chinese (Bamboo). Sumptuori was our favourite, followed closely by Bamboo. Sumptuori serves you shrimp, beef, chicken and salmon on a plate of rice teppanyaki style (cooked right in from of you). Delicious! At Bamboo, we had salmon, egg roll and chicken brochette appetizers which were fabulous.Lobster was included as part of our package which Dor really enjoyed, but did say she wasn't sure she would pay $35 for it (though I think you can have as many as you want once you buy in). I had the shrimp (excellent) and Emma's salmon was also excellent (suggest sauce on the side as the salmon on its own was great). The Brazilian was also very good. The food is brought out on skewers but is not sliced thinly like a true Brazilina restaurant. Regardless, the lamb was great, the chicken was very good but the pork and beef were sub par (could not even chew the beef it was so tough). The steakhouse was ok. The ribs were fatty and chewy, and the steak was so-so. I think the steak at the buffet would likely be every bit as good.

The Pools:
We stayed mostly to the same pool behind the kids club. This is a great family location. On the Tuesday they brought out a bouncy castle with slides into the pool - Emma was in heaven. The kids slides are great for kids up to age 6/7, but unfortunately stopped working the last two days. There is a buffet restaurant located right at this pool but doesn't open until 1.

So... great beaches, good to very good food and great service. Big resort which brings the big resort advantages and disadvantages. I would recommend it, but would be looking for something a little smaller next time.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
3 Thank David C
Rsegarra, General Manager at Grand Palladium Bavaro Suites Resort & Spa, responded to this review, April 24, 2014
Dear. David C,

The family of Grand Palladium Bavaro Resort & Spa is honored in receiving your valuable comments. We are proud to hear about your satisfaction on this trip as well as the time you have devoted to highlight us in TripAdvisor.

We managed to create unforgettable experiences and it is an honor to hear due to the excellences services offered by our staff, we have surpassed all your expectations.

Your recognition on these efforts and dedications are greatly appreciated and I will personally transmit them your compliments.

We will be anxiously expecting your next visit.

Kindest Regards,

R Segarra.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (747)
  • Czech first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
St. Catharines, Canada
Reviewed April 13, 2014

This was our 4th trip to Punta Cana, but our first stay at the Palladium. First off, check in was a joke. We lined up and filled out some information cards and were told to return at 3pm ( it was 11am) and get our room keys. I paid for the upgrade to the Imperial Club, but it made no difference at check-in. Finally, exhausted and tired, I passed $20 to Eduardo and asked him to please help us get our room keys (it's now 430 pm). The staff at the front desk were basically indifferent to anyone non-Spanish speaking.

Our room was lovely, it was a Junior Master Suite and very modern and the air conditioning worked great. The only odd thing was that almost every night,( around 10 pm) we would get a knock on the door, or even more horrifying, staff just unlocking our door and coming in, asking us if we wanted towels or more water bottles... Really at 10 pm? Why isn't the housekeeping staff doing this as part of their duties during the day?
The grounds of the resort are stunning, lush and immaculate. Gorgeous beach and pools. But as others have said, if you want shade under the palapa , be prepared to get up before sunrise to stake out your chairs, otherwise you're out of luck.

The restaurants are ok. Typical Dominican food. We tried four of the a la carts and they were ok, but not astounding. There was plenty of choices at the buffets, but pretty much the same stuff every day. Not bad, just the same thing over and over.
The wait staff, bartenders and trolley drivers were very nice, and we found them friendly and helpful. Certainly more helpful than the front desk staff.

Because we had a suite with a two person Jacuzzi, we wanted to use the tub, only there wasn't a drain cover or plug to keep the water in, so on our second day, I called the front desk and got passed to two other non English speaking staff who had no clue what I was asking for. The next day, I visited our "Imperial Club concierge" who told me to put a towel or wash cloth in the tub to keep the water in! I asked for a manager to call me. No return call.

The next day, another visit to the Imperial club concierge who assured me the tub works fine if I use the sink stopper as a drain plug. I told him, it's not the same size and why can't someone from their maintenance dept just bring us a drain cover? He didn't really understand, so I used my Spanish translator on my iPad to describe what I was talking about, suggested someone come see what I meant and even took a picture on my digital camera to show him what was missing... This was getting ridiculous!

On the fourth day of asking, again at the front desk, they summoned a housekeeping staff member to ask them what was needed and again, it was suggested I try using the sink plug. Very frustrating. Finally on the fifth day, we returned to our room and there was a drain cover in the Jacuzzi. Talk about ridiculous! Finally got to use the Jacuzzi and it was great.

The only other caveat to this resort is that unless you upgrade to the Royal Suites Turquesa , which is adult only, be prepared that this is a very family oriented resort. Tons and tons of kids! Baby buggy s and strollers everywhere, at the buffets, the a la cart's , the lobby bars , the pools and even on the beach. Small children are in the pools with toys, floats and babies in diapers in the pools. It's noisy and parents even set up playpens and pop up sun shelters around the pool for their kids. This resort has lots to offer for children and families, which is great if you are there on vacation with family and kids, but if you are looking fora couples or friends getaway or just quiet relaxing time without kids, then don't go to this resort....unless you upgrade to the Royal Suites which is adults only. I've got nothing against parents bringing their children on holidays, but the resort should make it clear that this is first and foremost the Disneyland of Punta Cana. It is very much a family oriented resort, not a relaxing tropical getaway. I'm not sure if there are always so many children at this resort, or if it was just the week we were there, just prior to the beginning of Easter break, but wow...I haven't seen so many small children in one resort since my last trip to Orlando Florida.

Overall, the resort was lovely. In appearance and decor, it is impeccable. But look closer and looks are deceiving. The food was boring, bland and basically the same everyday. Most of the staff was helpful. Our room was gorgeous and very clean. The beach was stunning. The pools are nice too. Be prepared for lots of walking to get around as the complex is huge. The trolley train is great at moving guests around the resort efficiently. Tons of babies and kids everywhere, a very family oriented resort. We had a good vacation in the balmy sunshine, a wonderful break from the long Canadian winter, but definitely not a resort we would visit again, unless I upgraded to the adults only side.

Room Tip: If you can afford it, upgrade to the Royal Suites..adults only side. Much quieter.
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Chad098,

Your satisfaction is our main goal and we would like to advantage this opportunity to express our gratitude for having chosen Grand Palladium Bavaro Suites Resort & Spa, as well as by taking some of your valuable time to share your impressions about your recent stay at Punta Cana.

It is truly a pleasure for us to confirm that you have enjoyed your stay with us and we have succeeded in our effort to surpass all your expectations.

We appreciate your compliments to Elizabeth , Roberta, Samuel and Santana some of our staff members; it is due to their efforts and dedication that we may accomplish our goal, which is the total satisfaction of all our guests.

Canada fort mcmurray
Reviewed April 11, 2014

We went to the grand palladium bavaro and loved being there, the people treated us very good, we loved the beaches and the pools at the resort , the reception team is amazing, Elizabeth , Roberta, Samuel and Santana thank you for being so lovely, we liked Ivelise from the lobby bar.

2 Thank Chad098
Dear Chad098,

Punta Cana, Dominican Republic
Reviewed April 11, 2014

Just leaving the Grand Palladium Bavaro Spa & Suites after spending two weeks of vacation. Weather was beautiful, the beach was awesome and the food (buffet) was extremely good. Our bellboy Firman Raphael was fantastic and cared for our every need. The bartenders, Dailyn especially, were very efficient. The room was clean and comfortable. Thanks again to Firman for getting us in a beautiful room on the ground floor with a view of the ocean. All in all we were treated very well by all the staff. An exception would be the steak house restaurant. The staff there should spend some time in the buffet and learn what customer service is all about.
Would we come back, probably but I would recommend the Royal Suites if you are looking for peace and quiet.

Room Tip: The new buildings (17,18 & 19) are very nice and close to the beach and pools.
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Kev M
Dear Kev M,

It is truly a pleasure for us to confirm that you have enjoyed your stay with us and we have succeeded in our effort of surpassing all your expectations.

We appreciate your compliments to Rafael one of our bellboys; it is due to his effort and dedication that we may accomplish our goal, which is the total satisfaction of all our guests.

Halifax, Canada
Reviewed April 11, 2014

We had an amazing vacation! This was my third time to the Grand Palladium and my moms fourth time!
Had a great flight with Sunwing! No problems at all!
Check it at the resort was awesome! And the lovely young lady who checked us in, Elizabeth! Was very helpful and even though we had been there before she made sure to tell us about everything, just in case something had change or was different! We did have to wait for our room but that's okay, we got our bracelets and went to the beach! had a great time talking to her through out the week! Thanks Liz! :) Leaving our luggage in the lobby which was safe and nothing missing!
The Lobby: Love the new chairs and tables! Very nice! Free Wifi, can be hard to get on in the evenings when its busy, but it works! The bell boys are very fast! As soon as were got off the bus they were right there to take our bags!
Now, our room! Building 52 I believe, next to the pool! We did request two beds, we got a king and a pull out, which was very hard and we really didn't use it much, the three of us ended my sharing the king size bed. Good thing we are a close family. I was glad to get back in my bed. The room was clean, had fresh towels everyday and the mini fridge was stocked everyday. We even got the bed sheets changed after my sister saw a bug and killed it :P too funny! She hates bugs! haha
The Beach: We are beach people, so we would head down early in the morning, around 6am to take our towels to reserve a beach hut! Had no problems, nothing was stolen and people were honest and didn't take your hut.
The POP Animation Team!! I miss them! They are all so sweet and lovely people! Jordina and Alexander were wonderful! I forget the other names! :( but each one of them were a joy to be around! I looked forward to seeing them at the beach each morning and finding out which games we would be playing! :) Then they would be off to the pool to play games in the afternoon.
The Pool: Its clean, lots of places to sit, swim up bar always in full swing! Games in the afternoon.
Shout out to the towel guys at the pool who were very funny! :)
The Food: The beach hut with the hamburgers, hot dogs, fries etc. I had the worse stomach ache EVER, felt very sick for about 8 hours. I only ate there once, as did my sister, but she was fine, so maybe the burger just didn't agree with me.
Beach Restaurant- If you went hungry its your own fault! They had EVERYTHING! We did find it was hard to get a drink, at one point I just went up to get my own. I found the mangers had to get after the servers to go over to tables to get there drink order. I know things are on Dominican time, but we were done our meal before we had a drink. Not the end of the world.
Main Buffet at the Baravo Lobby - Just about the same as the beach rest. so we only ate here a couple time. Did eat here every morning for breakfast - I would like to see more fresh fruit, for a tropical country I was surprised they didn't have more. But I was glad to see that after the renovations they now have 3 omelette stations instead of one! and it was nice to see the food was separate from the sitting area!
The A La Carte Restaurant: We did the following: NOTE: You do NOT need reservations to go to the a la cartes but for the Japanese - If you want to have the cooking show, I forget that its called, but when they cook your meal on the grill in front of you, You must go very early at 5 to get on the list! So kind of like a reservation!
Bamboo- Asian - OMG my favorite! It was so good!!!!
El Quijote - Spanish - Very good as well!
Gran Cantina Mariachi - Mexican - my moms favorite! its very good! If you only do one, try this one!
Sumptuoni- Japanese- A must do!

Loved the train that goes around the resorts, wait time can be a bit long and sometimes the train in full so you have to wait.

The nightly entrainment was good, we didn't really stay long because we were tired.

Can't wait to go back!!! Planning to return in March 2015! Hoping to be in one of the new rooms!

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank Ellen8771
Dear. Ellen8771,

We managed to create unforgettable experiences and it is an honor to hear due to the excellences services offered by jordina Alexander Elizabeth our staff members; we have surpassed all your expectations.

We will be anxiously expecting your next visit.

Kindest Regards,

Ontario, Canada
Reviewed April 11, 2014

This is our second time at Bavaro and we were as impressed this time as last! Miguel our concierge was awesome , looked after our dinner reservations and a few maintenance issues when we first got our room!! Service was great!!

1 Thank Blenkiron12
Dear Blenkiron12,

First of all, thank you for your preference in selecting The Grand palladium Bavaro Resort & Spa as your vacation destination and by sharing your impressions of your recent stay with us.

We appreciate you have expressed us your point of view and hope to having the opportunity to serve you in the future to assure you wonderful experience., which is what we search in all guests experience.

R Segarra

Clean ,beautiful beach,
Great food
Friendly staff
Roberto is great
And tony number one takes your bags with a smile
Ac worked great
Staff makes you feel special and wants you to be happy

5 Thank Redley9
Rsegarra, General Manager at Grand Palladium Bavaro Suites Resort & Spa, responded to this review, April 11, 2014
Dear. Redley9,

First of all, we would like to thank you for your preference in selecting our The Grand Palladium Bavaro Resort & Spa for your vacation, as well as for letting us know about your recent experience.

We put our greatest interest and value in our guests' opinions in our effort to continuously improve the quality of our services and facilities.

It is truly a pleasure for us to confirm that your experience with us was enjoyable and that we have surpassed all your expectations.

We appreciate your compliments to our staff, as it is due to their effort and dedication that we may accomplish our goal, which is the total satisfaction of our guests.

Best Regards,

Grand Bahia Principe Turquesa
Grand Bahia Principe Turquesa
#60 of 111 in Punta Cana
4.0 of 5 bubbles 2,098 reviews

Been to Grand Palladium Bavaro Suites Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!