“Worst holiday of my life”

Grand Palladium Bavaro Suites Resort & Spa
Ranked #30 of 112 Hotels in Punta Cana
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
“Worst holiday of my life”
Reviewed March 18, 2013

Ive never wrote a review for a hotel before but after visting this "wonderful" hotel i thought id had to. This was my first holiday together with my boyfriend after being together over 2 years, the pictures looked wonderful and out of this world. I thought this hotel was over perfect for our first holiday away. After arriving at the hotel everything went wrong straight away firstly we was given a room then got messed around saying it wasn't ready so they up graded us to another room which was away from the people we arrived with. The room was perfect apart from the aconditioning was leaking the whole 2 weeks while we was there, i had complained to them 3 times but nothing was done about it. Also with the hotel being all inclusive i didnt take much money with us as we didnt need it there are safes provided in the rooms but not secure as you think, while we was there we didnt spend any money but i reccommend if you do take belongings take them with you everywhere you go as we had all 300 dollers stole from our room. I also reported this to the hotel manager who didnt really seem bothered and was no help at all. I was really dissapointed as id seen many reviews saying how nice and wonderful the hotel and resort were. This has really put me off the caribbean and i defintely wont be reccommending or returning to this place.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
8 Thank _katielouisee
Daphne K, Manager at Grand Palladium Bavaro Suites Resort & Spa, responded to this review, May 11, 2013
Dear _katielouisee,

Received a warm greeting from the staff of Grand Palladium Bavaro Resort, Spa y Casino, we want to thank you for dedicating your time to share your experiences concerning your stay.

We would like to apologize for the inconvenience you had during your holidays, during the high season sometimes is difficult to satisfy all our customers, but I assure you we will consider your suggestions, we are working to improve our services.

We invite you to come back in any season of your preference. Once again thank you very much,

Greetings.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (768)
  • Czech first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
Halifax, Canada
Reviewed March 18, 2013

We just arrived back from the Grand Palladium Bavaro after a wonderful week of relaxing with our children. This is a large, beautiful resort. The grounds are gorgeous, the pools lovely,and the beach breath taking. Our junior suite was clean and well kept although the jacuzzi did not work. The food was very good. We had no choice but to eat at the buffet each day as our 14 year old son did not have long pants to wear to the a la carte restaurants and they would not allow him in (this was a sore spot for us - we understood that MEN had to wear long pants but did not think this included the children. That being said, our son was pleased to be considered a man!).
As I said, a vacation is what you make it so we chose not to allow some negative things to ruin our vacation. For example, the service ranges from poor to average. Each morning at breakfast, I was often long finished my meal before they brought me my coffee despite my requests and despite walking by me countless times with the pot. A refill was never offered. If a glass of wine made it to my table at supper, it too was never refilled. The bartenders were slightly better and friendlier than the dining staff. In fact, the service was often exceptional at Hemingways - and the quality of the drinks there is superb as well.
The vendors who set up jewelry tables around the pool are very aggresive and do not easily take no for an answer. They ask a ridiculous price and will quickly cut that in half and in half again if you say no. I was shocked that they are permitted to set up where they do and get away with harrassing the tourists. Really the resort should put a stop to that.
There was also an issue of an ipod touch that seemed to have disappeared from our room. The front desk was very apologetic about it and is conducting an 'investigation.' We learned a hard lesson: KEEP YOUR VALUABLES IN THE SAFE!
Jimmynez is very helpful and is the go to man if you need anything out of the norm. He arranged a private taxi for us to tour through the mountains of the Dominican and see the real country. Maurice Bravo is a fantastic driver who speaks perfect English (he is actually American) and is very knowledgeable. It was money well spent.
Our goal for the week was to spend quality time together as a family. Overall, this was a great place to stay and we enjoyed our time here. Go with a relaxed attitude and you should be happy.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
7 Thank Family5154976
Dear Family5154976,

On behalf of Grand Palladium Bavaro Resort, Spa y Casino we want to thank you for the dedicated time you spent to share your suggestions.

Politely we would like to apologize for the inconvenience, we will work to increase this service..

One more time thank you very much, we look forward for your return.

Regards.
Moscow, Russia
Reviewed March 17, 2013

I've have never write any comment on visiting hotels but this time I realized that I want to do that.
I want to thank animation team in Grand Palladium Bavaro especially Rafael Cano(!!!) and barmen Suzanna in Hemingway cafe. It was a great time we spend together!

After 12 hours of flight from Moscow and 8 hours of time difference on my third day of stay I meat those guys. And thanks to them I was back to life full of fun and smiles.

The first guy I've meat who was speaking good English was Rafael Cano. I was not able to stay sad any more because he was joking all the time (with very serious face), talking to me in Russian and dancing! ;) I do not know people which could be so happy and funny all the time but he was. Thanks to him it was practically impossible not to participate in their animation. Collecting people from different parts of the world animation team was easily managing all the games. And a lot of tourists were coming to join or just to look at those fun!Two days that I'm back to Moscow I'm listening CD with Dominicanian music and In my mind Rafael with his team dancing on the beach and on disco! It is very strong impression with a lot of drive! I've tried to dance with them once and understand that I was tired after first 15 minutes... While for them it seems to be the way of life!

Suzanna is one of the best barmen's I've ever meat . She also could speak English a bit but when no we could easily understand each other. She is very beautiful and it is a real show when singing and dancing she is preparing drinks. Thanks to her we have tried a lot of tasty cocktails. And for me It is real professionalism when you ask just for "tasty & not sweet drink" ( I mean with no name of cocktail) and you get exactly what you want!

Those two people were so kind to me that I was crying when flighing back home and I still miss my friends. Again I want to say many many thanks to Rafael & Suzanna! For me Dominicana Republic now is beautiful ocean, a lot of sun, Grand Palladium and those two guy! I wish I would be able to come back and meet them again!!!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
3 Thank MarinaKiritsa
Dear MarinaKiritsa,

Firstly, received a warm greeting from the staff of Grand Palladium Bavaro Resort, Spa y Casino, we wants to thank you for dedicating your time to share your experiences concerning your stay.

Comments like yours are the best motivation for our team to bring you your well deserved vacations.

Once again thank you for choosing our Resort, we look forward for your return.

Fredericton, Canada
Reviewed March 15, 2013

This resort has a lot going for it, but also, and unfortunately, some serious drawbacks. There are lots of other options on this beautiful stretch of beach so I'd recommend you spend your holiday and travel dollars at one of the other spots. You can get somewhere in Punta Cana much more satisfying than this place for the same price. Why spend this kind of money at somewhere you are going to leave with mixed feelings -- and maybe even anger depending on your exact experience.

The built environment is impressive. It is large, expansive, with lots of amenities and lots of bells and whistles -- a sort of contained city. It is big enough to get yourself lost in, which may be an advantage to some vacationers who want a level of privacy or anonymity -- a real escape.

However, as others have mentioned throughout the reviews, the customer service and state of disrepair are tiring at best and shocking at worst. I won't go into great detail as I think both of these criticisms have been well-documented in other reviews, save to say that you should believe what you read on this site in terms of criticisms in these two areas. I am a laid-back and experienced traveller -- have credit card and toothbrush, will travel type. I read all the critical reviews and thought "Oh those people must be the type who are never satisfied wherever they go." After staying at the resort, I've changed my assessment of those reviewers.

Our room (an upgraded suite) had numerous things broken, leaking, not working, etc. Chats with other guests at pool bars confirmed that this was the experience of MANY resort guests, in various types of rooms, including various suites.

Routine requests to the front desk and maid service were greeted with open hostility with no provocation. (I have spent a career working in PR and customer service and so was completely baffled by this resort's approach -- came across as a work culture gone bad that needs some serious cleanup.) Certainly, there were exceptions to this, and we had pleasant experiences with some individual staff members, but they were the rare exception and not the rule. The front desk, in particular, stood out as a source of absolutely shockingly poor customer service.

While on one hand it could take repeated requests and lots of waiting time spent inside in one's room to get an essential item fixed, staff would barge in unannounced at odd hours with complete disregard for the state of dress or sleeping of guests in the room -- 10 pm or first thing in the a.m. -- to do "routine reporting" or fix something that was on their "to do" list but perhaps not on the guest's list. This was our experience, and again, confirmed by chats with other guests at hotel bars.

Spend your travel dollar and take your tip money to another resort where the operating company deserves the revenue and the staff take their jobs in guest services seriously.

If you are already booked at this resort and so must go: Get an upgraded room to get the Imperial Club service; tip Jiminez (the Imperial Club concierge) well upon arrival; go to Jiminez for all your requests and avoid phoning or face-to-face with the front desk staff (even if it means waiting for Jiminez or coming back at a later time).

Room Tip: If you must go, upgrade to an Imperial Club suite and ask for a room near the beach.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank axlee
Dear Axlee,

Politely we would like to apologize for the inconvenience, we will take your suggestions into consideration.

We invite you to come back in any season of your preference, one more time thank you very much,

Regards.
Reviewed March 15, 2013

Wow this place is a hide gem . The landscaping was breath taking to start off with the front desk agent was so kind I got cold towel nice refresher , I got my room in no time. Change and went out on the beach I was an amazing feel. The bartenders are great every one was great . Restaurante a la carte superb tepanyaki and trattoria . I slept like a baby I got massage was good . This is most definitely a come back treasure for me I will see you again this September for my birthday. Im gonna definitely spend my birthday with you guys . Amazing resort love it.

• Stayed February 2013
1 Thank wandalov
Dear Wandalov,

We are really thankful for you’re the precious time you dedicate to share your good experiences in the hotel with us.

It is a satisfaction to know that you enjoyed your stay at our resort and that we have totally satisfied your needs.

We hope to see you soon.

Thank you very much.
Saskatoon, Saskatchewan, Canada
Reviewed March 14, 2013

Although the beaches and water were wonderful, the rooms were worn and need updating. The service was not great and there was very little english spoken. We were without water for a full day and never got an explanation. The service in the ala cartes was poor at best. The food was fairly good. The purpose of this review is just to note that this resort was listed as a five star and we have stayed in 3 starred resorts which were superior.Not overly impressed for the price.

Room Tip: It is worth upgrading to a suite as several of our party did.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Barb C
Dear Barb C,

We apologize for our services and that we do not full fill you expectations as well.

Once again thank you very much; we hope to see you soon at our resort.

Winnipeg, Canada
Reviewed March 14, 2013

My much better half and I stayed at the Grand Palladium Bavaro Feb 11th - 25th. This was our 7th time to Punta Cana, 2nd time to the Palladiums (stayed at the Palace in 2011) and while we've enjoyed all of our visits to PC, I would have to say this was probably our best overall vacation experience! We booked Imperial Club Romance Suite for the sole reason that we wanted to ensure we had a villa close to the beach and it worked out perfectly. We were in building 58 (room 1584) a close 3 minute walk to the beach and an even shorter 1 minute walk the other way to the pool. We spent most of our days at the beach and then left around 4:00 pm to wind down at the pool bar.
The Romance Suite was recently renovated, had a Mayan Shower, and we used it every day. We loved having an additional room, the "outdoorsy" feeling, and it was a great place to air & dry out our wet clothes! Everything worked in the room to our complete satisfaction and we slept like babies every night. We loved the room!!
We ate at 6 different alacartes (Brazilian, Italian, Mediteranean, Japanese, Mexican, and the BBQ), enjoyed all of them, and their Imperial Club reservation process was smooth. The Mediteranean was probably our favourite, but the most entertaining was the BBQ on the beach! The staff really worked hard to ensure everyone had a great time!!
We also found the service to above average than what we've experienced in the past. We had no complaints and nothing but good things to stay about all of the staff!
All in all, another wonderful vacation in Punta Cana...but probably our best one yet! We'll be back!!!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
4 Thank lma204
Dear lma204,

From the staff of Grand Palladium Bavaro Resort, Spa y Casino, we want to thank you for dedicating your time to share your experiences concerning your stay.

We greatly appreciate that we have totally satisfied your well deserved vacations and we look forward for your return.