“First all inclusive holiday”

Grand Palladium Bavaro Suites Resort & Spa
Ranked #52 of 112 Hotels in Punta Cana
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed August 25, 2012

We, as a family usually hire a private villa for our 2 week holiday but decided as we wanted to go to Dominican Republic we'd be better off to go the all inclusive route. I won't lie, we were sceptical at first - unsure what to expect. You hear all the ugly rumours about poor food quality, not enough variation, pools packed with not enough shades and sunbeds etc, but we needn't have worried. After booking our holiday, we were sent reminders about pre-booking our extra leg room seats (which is money well spent when your hubby and boys are 6ft and over). We were given plenty of info about the hotel, and had read all the comments good and bad on TripAdvisor.

When we arrived at Punta Cana airport we were greated by the friendly Rep, Sharron (First Choice), she is brilliant! She made sure we knew where we were going and stayed with us throughout our check-in into the hotel and was on hand to support with a problem we had with the allocated rooms. She promised it would be sorted by the morning, which it was. If I have any grumbles it would be with the reception staff themselves, they are very slow at paperwork and checking in takes forever! (all done in 'Dominican time'!). Not only are they slow, but their language skills are inadequate to say the least, speaking on very limited pigeon English and definitely favouring the Spanish visitors.

The same can definitely not be said for the entertainment and waiters and waitresses, they are amazing. From the second you sit down they are at your side offering you drinks and keep them filled without needing to be asked, they are very friendly and polite. They do not stop working and always have a smile on their faces. The entertainment staff and tour guides are welcoming and go that extra mile to make sure you are getting the most from your holiday and excursions. These people are fluent in English, French, German and Portugese, so much so that this really does put the reception staff to shame.

I would have liked to see more variations in the pool entertainments on offer, but it is a personal choice whether to participate or not we often chose to go for a late lunch or walk along the beach while this was happening.

The food quality is excellent, with lots of variations - enough to please everyone. 6 a-la carte restaurants which do not need prior booking. We particularly enjoyed the steakhouse, the main courses were delicious and the waiter/esses ensured that our glasses were kept filled all the time.

The hotel rooms are more than adequate with a mini-bar that is restocked daily, satellite tv, ipod docking station, hairdryer, safe. The maids keep the rooms clean the whole time you are there. They provide you with a regular supply of shower gels/moisturisers/shampoos so you don't need to take these with you (saves that extra weight in your cases). Our maid left towel decorations and flowers on our bed sand in the bathroom. Our sons were in a junior suite which had a jacuzzi, walk in shower and separate toilet - they thought this was hilarious as myself and husband had a standard room. We knocked on their door and they let us in wearing bathrobes and slippers !

It is a huge resort (3 hotels in one resort, 4 if you include the adults only Royal suites) and if I had to suggest anything that could be improved it would be to have more lighting at night in the walkways and also put the signs in better places, so they are easier to see this would make it much easier to find your way around.

All in all we really enjoyed this holiday, and would not hesitate to recommend the hotel to others. We will definitely return.

Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
13  Thank SilvermanCambs
There are newer reviews for Grand Palladium Bavaro Suites Resort & Spa

Reviewed August 22, 2012

We went to DR for a wedding from the UK, there were 20+ of us in the party ranging from couples in their early 30's, a couple of single younger ladies and the parents and their friends in their 60's. The ladies spent most of their time fending off unwanted advances from men, quite inappropriately. Every day at 2pm we moved from the pool area as a massive PA system was wheeled out to 'entertain' people who quite clearly were quite happy with it as it was. The restaurants are mostly pretty crap, the Italian is truly awful. We ate in the Italian one evening and I ordered a bottle of wine from the wine list as the house wine is stuff that I wouldn't even cook with and it took us about 20 minutes to be able to leave at the end of the meal as the waiter (we call him that as he kept us waiting, no other reason) had to verify that we were the room number we claimed to be so the wine could go on our room bill. The staff there are mostly quite nice people but they generally have no idea about good food or good service, which isn't their fault; the management need to train better and not expect people who may never go out for dinner to understand how to give good service. You can be kept waiting for ages for a drink in any of the bars. The best food was at the Med place, however I had lobster which there is a charge for and wine which there is also a charge for. I always tip staff, however I tip according to the service I receive, I don't expect to have to tip to GET service. The reception staff are pretty rubbish, we asked for the passcode for the wifi in the lobby to be told it wasn't working even though we could see that it was. We then saw our rep passing by, asked her if she knew it and got straight on. On check out, the young ladies who had shared a room were unceremoniously taken from the bus in front of other guests as reception said that they hadn't paid their room bill although we had all checked out together, only to find that the staff on duty had the money in a little pile and hadn't processed it...hmmmm.

They also think its ok to use animals as entertainment, there are a couple of exotic birds kept in a tiny cage all day to be used for photographs, a snake (ditto) and a poor little monkey on a leash which is brought out in the evenings to be put on the heads of drunks. What a lovely life that must be. Also, found it quite ironic that Thompsons chosen charity that they were taking donations for on the plane back home was Born Free....

In a nutshell, if you want to go somewhere and pull people in sweaty nightclubs, get hammered on rum at every available opportunity and dance to crappy euro trash pop by a pool then this is the place for you. Oh, and don't forget to tip the towel guys or they may kill you as you sleep.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with friends
4  Thank Emu H
Reviewed August 22, 2012

I wish I could say that this is the best hotel I have stayed in. The staff work incredibly hard long hours and would do anything to please you. Every time we left the room we were greeted by multiple "holas" all wishing us a good day.

The whole place is kept spick and span bar the odd leaf in the pool and ant on the pathway.
The location is to die for as most of the hotel is on the beachfront. A small train runs around the grounds, though my family (me, 15 my brother, 16 and my parents) much preferred to walk as it was quicker. The bavaro pool is mostly full of loud holidaymakers whilst on the weekdays the large round pool near the palace is generally quiet and relaxing. However on the weekends the locals descend upon the hotel making it louder and more lively. My brother and I never saw this as a problem as they were friendly enough. Funny games were played on the poolside sometimes requiring the adults or purple banded people to down a glass or more of alcohol. Everyday there is aerobics at 4 pm at the round pool which is good fun. In the mornings yoga is on on the beach.

The rooms are cleaned everyday, and the fridges restocked. We had a lovely renovated room, though I don't think it made much difference.

The service was second to none. All staff were friendly and happy to help, I must mention the bar staff at the bavaro lobby. When it wasn't too busy a couple of them took the time to chat to me and get to know me. Bladimir is a genuinely great guy, by the end of the trip we knew each other pretty well, also another bar tender made every effort to make you feel at home though I've forgotten his name (sorry) just a special shout out to those guys as they made my holiday more special than all the others. My family also met a lovely guy that waited in the Japanese and Mexican restaurants, he was fabulous and always provided a cheeky smile.

Overall is this the best hotel I've been to. No. But the people make the visit, it had all the facilities i just never used them but as far as I'm concerned I didn't need to as getting to know some of the people was worth missing the things I could do anywhere.

• Stayed: August 2012
3  Thank uigfidshuokgyu
Reviewed August 21, 2012

This hotel chain is excellent (we've stayed at their hotel in Riveria Maya in Mexico too) and although the one in Bavaro is slightly older, the standards remain high. There are a number of different room options available so make sure you know what you've booked but all the rooms I saw for our party of 21 were spacious and clean. Views and facilities are great, and the beach is wonderful - the breeze from the sea in the summer months is most welcome. Food is very high quality in both the buffets and al a carte restaurants. Plenty of choices for even fussy eaters.

We were in the Dominican Republic for our wedding so a few comments on this aspect of the trip for would be brides/grooms out there. The wedding team at the hotel (Carolina, Diana and Kenia) were amazing - we couldn't have asked for any more from them - they were helpful, attentive and always ready to answer any questions. We didn't know what to expect before we arrived but were utterly handheld through the process and necessary decisions - never rushed and always with options if we weren't sure. We organised the ceremony venue, decoration, reception, food choices, table arrangements, spa treatments, flowers, vows, music and favours with the team once we'd arrived over the course of a week. We also used the on-site photography company - bit of a 'hard sell' on the packages but be clear about what you want and negotiate. The actual photographer was a genius (Marcos Schroeder) and created the most beautiful pictures for us, so although the process was somewhat 'commercial', we couldn't be happier with the result.

Final bit of advice on weddings - pack anything you can't live without on your wedding day in your hand luggage (use the extra weight allowance from the wedding package) - another couple there at the same time as us had their luggage held in Manchester and it didn't arrive in time for their wedding. Nightmare scenario but avoidable if you plan your weight allowance carefully!

If you're wondering whether this is the right hotel for you and your wedding - book it! Any concerns I had about going abroad or whether the Dominican Republic, or indeed the Grand Palladium were the right choices were utterly overruled during our stay - a truly amazing experience for us and our guests.

Room Tip: 'Junior suites' are well worth an upgrade
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
6  Thank Catherine C
Reviewed August 21, 2012

We stayed at the Punta Cana from July 30 – Aug 6; check in wasn’t bad considering there was 9 of us. Most of us ended up in Bldg 3000 with the exception of 2 who ended up in Bldg 4000. Our room was OK, could’ve sworn we were supposed to have a Jacuzzi and separate shower, but that wasn’t the case and when taking a shower water ended up everywhere. Later found out Bldg 4000 did have separate shower and Jacuzzi…go figure. AC didn’t do a good job of cooling the room unless the fan was on continuously, took us 5 days to receive face towels we’ve been asking for since arriving. My son’s room always stayed warm and full of ants!! Room was finally changed only to be given another room with ants. Buffets were average, tended to have the same menu every day. We preferred the a la carte restaurants, however trying to get in during the weekend was impossible. We had no problems getting a table during the week, but all the tables were reserved during the weekend; really need a better system to accommodate all guests and not just the Royal Suites. Can’t ever remember going on a vacation and not gaining a single pound, but this was a first…need better food. Only had one employee to be rude to us the entire week, he worked at the main lobby of all places. Don’t know if he was having a bad day or if he’s just an --, but he didn’t have to worry about me saying anything else to him after that. Shout out to Ernest, Kenny and Joel…you guys made us feel welcomed. The pools are great; that’s where we spent most of our time. Wish the rooms were as well kept as the grounds, we won’t be coming back to this resort again.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank mydir
Reviewed August 19, 2012

The resort is fantastic the staff are always their to help and serve even during the day their are wandering around serving drinks as you lie beside the pool. I am only half way through the holiday but i am using the internet which is free to support this beutiful hotel. I can not fault this hotel. It is in the process of building asnd referbishment but however it doesnt hardleys effect us apart from some paths being blocked. The room which I am staying in is huge their is a two double beds and a sofa which turns into a bed. The bathroom is also big and it includes two sinks, toilet, shower, jaccuizzi and daily clean towels. The cleaning service in the room is fantastic and leaves the room extremenly clean. Also in the lobbies and the hotel itself it is kept clean with grass cut and pool cleaned daily. My daughter has been going to the teen club which she loves. She says their is-
- 4 xbox
- 4 wii
- 4 Play station 3
- 7 computer
- Pool tables
- Air hockey
- Table Tennis
The age fro this is from 12 to 21 and gets them out of the sun between 11 till 1 and 3 till 11 but you can go anytime between those times for as long as you want.
This hotel is amazing and I highly recomend it.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
7  Thank HonestReviews291199
Reviewed August 19, 2012

This resort is definately worth a visit.Our first time to the Dominican and as always i was dreading the sight of cockroach's ! Not one single cockroach spotted on the resort !
Our apartment was perfect with a lovely jacuzzi too.Every day we were left coffee for the filter machine,plenty of towels and toiletries.Also a mini bar topped up daily.Our room overlooked the pool and we had the sea view to our left too.(8411)
The food was great , i am a vegetarian and my husband loves meat , we were both totally happy with the variety of food.
The entertainment team were brilliant.Exercise on the beach plus dancing and games if you like that sort of thing , then shows in the evening.
The resort is in four parts and we stayed at Palladium palace with the deluxe apartments.The royal section is child free.
On the beautifull beach look for the Dolfin dive office , they are great and you can book your own speed boat or tons of other water activities including great diving trips.
There is a flyboat along the locals end of the beach that cost 75 dollars for a ride , my husband said it was brilliant.
The bar staff are lovely and the retaurant staff are great too.This is definately a great place for a chilled out holiday with a paradise beach.

Room Tip: Ask for jacuzzi , they are the best rooms and by the pool.
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
#85 of 112 in Punta Cana
Hotel Riu Palace Bavaro
Hotel Riu Palace Bavaro
#56 of 112 in Punta Cana

Been to Grand Palladium Bavaro Suites Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!