“Better than anticipated”

GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Ottawa
“Better than anticipated”
Reviewed March 18, 2011

Just returned on March 17 from our 3rd Punta Cana trip and 3rd hotel. A huge complex a la Gran Bahia Principe but I like the layout here more. Grounds were spotless and gorgeous, restaurants and food terrific and plentiful, staff outstanding everywhere you went. Our room was more than we hoped for. The beach is lovely although narrow from water to top of beach compared to other stretches and never a problem finding a chair.
There were a few grad groups in at the same time which were tending to get out of hand. It seems this was the first year the hotel has accepted grad/spring break groups and staff indicated they weren't pleased with the behaviour and the upset it caused some guests - these groups won't be accepted in the future - a solid reaction to keeping your hotel's reputation intact.
The airport, however, was one interminable line up after another, not a good way to spend a great weather day.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled on business
2 Thank TowelboyOttawa

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (747)
  • Czech first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
St. Stephen, Canada
Reviewed March 17, 2011

Stayed at this resort March 09-16,2011. Was very impressed. Have never been to a resort that was soooooo clean. The grounds are beautiful, walkways are very clean. The bathrooms throughout the complex were spotless, even the ones that the beachgoers were using. Buffet theme was different every day.No one should every be hungry, food was very good and a large variety. Had access to all the Palladium resorts. Entertainment was good.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
wakefield
Reviewed March 15, 2011

Travelled here on the 24th Feb, due to an 8 hour flight delay we did not reach our hotel until 10pm.

We'll start off with the not so good...

Our room was a junior suite which we were impressed with at first glance. But checking the room further, we noticed issues that had to be raised with the hotel maintence staff. Filling out the card that was supplied on the door handled to point out what repairs needed to be done had no effect. After several phone calls and stomps to the reception someone finally came out to repair our problems at 9pm at night when we were just about to leave for dinner. I feel there was a real lack of urgency from the general repair aspect of the hotel. It seemed like we really had to moan in order to get things done and this is the last thing you want to do on a holiday getaway.

We also found we had to get up at the crack of dawn to be in with a chance of getting a sun bed under an umbrella, as for the sheer size of the hotel we did not feel they catered adequately in this area.

However the general consensus for complaint across holiday makers during our stay was the fact that the hotel allowed what appeared to be 60% of the hotels capacity to be filled by spring breakers, which as you can imagine didn’t quite create the relaxing romantic atmosphere we were hoping for, the pool near our building was a no go area unless you wanted to join the nightclub ambience that took over the pool from the early afternoons, we found ourselves bearing the long walk to one of the quieter pools, again not ideal.

The noise got so bad one night that we thought enough is enough and requested to move rooms at reception, we were told that they could not control what was happening and therefore moving rooms would not solve the problem, as they had put the spring breakers in almost every building!

Not happy with this response we talked to our holiday rep, who much to our travel company’s credit, and a short word with the management, sorted this out for us straight away, so that we did get to move to a quieter room later that day.

We have however raised a formal complaint against the hotel, as it clearly states on the palladium addict website that they do not accept spring breakers, it was not the kind of thing we expected from a family friendly 5 star resort hotel.

On to the good stuff....

The above aside, this hotel had to potential to be very good, we have previously visited the Dominican and Mexico before and really enjoy coming to this part of the world, one this we absolutely love about Punta Cana is the beach and sea and it defiantly did not disappoint here.

We found the restaurants to be very good, particularly the service in the Japanese, we were happy with the food choice if albeit not quite as warm as we would of liked. The breakfast was amazing with a very good selection, this finishes at 10am, which is great if you’re an early bird, but if like us you like the odd lie in, maybe a little early.

We also thought the outside area of the Bavaro to be very attractive and particularly liked the many birds and animals there; this was a very nice touch. The maid service was also one of the highest standards we have encountered.

I could go on all day mentioning the other nice points, and again if the hotel could look at its repair policies and what clientele it accepts it would have the potential to be so much better.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank pandatrips
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 6, 2011

Firstly can I say to all the people that expect to get 5star London, New York or Dubai luxury 'Go to London, New York or Dubai'

This is the first time we have been on an all inc holiday and I have to say we were impressed.

I will try and review in sections so please bear with me.

Grounds: absolutely stunning, having seen the Riu hotels when returning back from a trip all I can say about the palladium is WOW!
The grounds are large but we found the train or the big golf type of buggies were always available within 5 minutes to take you wherever you wanted

Rooms: Like a lot of people say, they have seen better days but are large and kept clean, even though we did have a problem with a leaking ceiling, this was fixed within 24hrs

Service: Some of the reception staff could cheer up a little bit and our cleaner was a bit of a misery (think we were unlucky as all the other cleaners always had a smile for you)
but the waiting staff were excellent and did not find that was affected with or without a tip.

Location: right there on a gorgeous beach, we were at the backen of the grounds Villa 34 and this was probably one of the furthest away from the beach and it was approx 6/7 minute walk but had the benefit of being 2 mins from reception and 1 min from the sports bar whose coffee kept us going.

Food: There was always something to eat in the buffets, personally we thought the Punta Cana buffet was better than the Bavaro buffet.
A La Carte's: Spanish was fantastic as was the Japanese, the Trattoria was good as was the Asian. personally we did not like the Brazilian or The Mexican.

Night Entertainment: Probably felt that this was the most mediocre part of the holiday , in the lobby bar it was a bit samey every night and in the Theatre, well they tried!

Day Entertainment: The guys by the pool and worked extremely hard and if that was what you wanted then great and you if you did not want then not a problem.

Day trips: Firstly if booked with a travel agent they will tell you that other people do not have insurance so only book with them, but as far as I am aware your own insurance covers this. I booked trips with Teddy of the Dolin Dive centre (by the pool) and he was great, no pressure and took me to the office to see his insurance (he insisted as I had commented to him on what the rep had said)
But be warned, Saona Island is not 45 mins away by coach more like 1hr 45mins and personally for me it was just another beach but others thought it was fantastic.
We also did parasailing which was not as scary as i thought it would be and also the speed boats and snorkelling to see the fish, which we thought was worthwhile.
We did all three things with Teddy for the same price as just the Saona trip with the rep.

The hotel guests are mainly Canadian so do not expect a quiet time as they like to have fun, hey they are on holiday and there some very large groups of late teens there but they did not cause any problems whatsoever.

We met a couple who had been on 5 or 6 All Inc in the caribbean and they said that this one was the best overall.

I would say if you go with an open mind and do not expect Major City 5 star you should have a great time, feel free to contact me with any questions.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled with family
3 Thank D123186338
Winnipeg, Canada
Reviewed March 5, 2011

The food, cleanliness, beach and pools were excellent. The rooms, beds, service and imperial program left everything to be desired. We complained several times about one sink not working, one blanket for 3 people, not reveiving 4/6 items for imperial service, and a television that stopped working. Each time minus the last we were told they would take care of it-never did. The last time we complained was during check out to which we were told they couldn't do anything about it now.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled with family
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed March 5, 2011

Just got back from a week at the Grand Palladium. I've been to a few other resorts in PC and just wanted to try something new.

THis resort is great. We paid for a junior suite and our room was amazing. IT has a separate sitting room, full round jacuzzi tub and a separate out door room with a shower and a hammock. beautiful.

Lots of pools, the food was great, beach amazing. booking a la cartes was a little tough so go immediately and do it asap once arriving at the resort.

My only complaints were that there were alot of people walking around asking you about tours constantly. It would not stop me from going back to this resort, however it got a little frustrating getting asked multiple times a day if we wanted to book a trip. Not sure if our group was targeted a little more as we were a group of six in our early to mid 30's. We did book the dune buggy one. I would not do it again..

Overall - I would definately recommend this resort!

• Stayed February 2011, traveled with friends
1 Thank Abiyoung
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 5, 2011

We travelled to this resort with Thomson – flight and hotel (as opposed to a package). I was pleasantly surprised with the flight which was operated by First Choice and a modern plane with seat back movies (extra charge for pause/rewind and premium movies). Only problem, they hadn’t got a vegetarian meal for me as I hadn’t prebooked. I explained that there was no facility to choose a meal as this was just added onto my booking without me even requesting it. Luckily they managed to come up with one and a helpful crew member attempted to arrange for one on my return. Unfortunately this didn’t happen and I had to make do with a kiddie’s macaroni cheese.
Punta Cana airport was a wonderful introduction to the country with it’s palapa roofed terminal building and lovely walk across the tarmac as an introduction to the beautiful weather. We fought through the bag carriers and taxi touts to find an official taxi which whisked us to the resort in about 20 minutes for $35 which was cheaper than the Thomson coach at $40 and the bonus of dropping off passengers at goodness knows how many other hotels along the way.
Check-in was instant as we were the only arrivals and we were upgraded from a “promotional” room to a junior suite, in one of the buildings I had requested after researching the recommended locations. We were very pleased with it’s location, between the beach, Arrecife restaurant and Bavaro pool.
The room was on the 2nd floor (or 1st if you’re British!) and was very spacious for two. I was initially a bit disappointed that we given a two double-bedded room rather than a king. This turned out for the best as our daughter turned up for a surprise visit! I had read that the rooms were being refurbished and the linens replaced. Unfortunately ours hadn’t been and the blue and yellow furnishings were a little dated. I’m not sure which rooms had been upgraded as the only ones I saw were still blue and yellow. There was a slow leak coming through the ceiling, which we mentioned but wasn’t dealt with, but didn’t bother us too much (condensation maybe). The bathroom was huge, twin sinks, separate toilet and shower. We enjoyed the large Jacuzzi bath which meant we didn’t need to use the shower which flooded the bathroom floor. Beer, water and soft drinks were replaced frequently. (No spirits as we’ve had in Riu hotels but didn’t really miss them. Tea and coffee making was provided but we didn’t use it as it was so readily available whenever we left the room.
The maids did an excellent job. We filled in the housekeeping form to say we preferred service from late morning and never saw the maids at all whilst in the room. The room was cleaned and tidied to a very high standard and towels and toiletries replaced regularly. The balcony was very attractive with a lovely outlook over the tropical grounds. It always seemed strange how few guests we saw when walking around. On occasion there were far more staff about than holidaymakers.
The resort is very large but to me this was the attraction. After initially getting lost several times it wasn’t nearly as far between all the facilities as we thought. Part of the fun was exploring. We occasionally caught the little “train” which was very pleasant and whisked you between the different receptions, restaurants and beach. Waiting wasn’t a problem as you could sit with a drink. The weather during the week of our stay was perfect, 29C and blue sky everyday so to wander through the amazing grounds in the sunshine was wonderful. This also avoided any feeling of cabin fever or becoming bored.
I loved having use of four equally beautiful pools, some quieter than others so catering for the active and those who just wanted to relax. The animation team were really excellent and managed to make everything fun. I really enjoyed the beach games and aerobics which relieved some of the guilt of all the eating and drinking.
The beach was absolutely stunning, the best beach overall I have ever stayed on. In my opinion, after going for long walks in either direction along the beach, this was the best part of Bavaro beach. I thought the wide open areas a little bleak in comparison. I loved the trees reaching almost down to the sea and the variety of open and shady areas. One complaint regarding both beach and the pools – why are guests allowed to dump their towels on the beds at the crack of dawn then go off for breakfast etc. for hours and still return to them. I was very tempted to remove them when we struggled to find free beds. There were hawkers on the beach but we never found them unpleasant and they accepted us saying no thanks. The artwork at the Bavaro pool was another story and after showing vague interest was harassed. They even tried to escort me to the ATM to get some cash out when I said I didn’t have any money! Nothing is priced and they will quote you much higher prices than in the hotel gift shops. I do think the hotel should prevent this hassling within the grounds. We then had to make sure we always approached the pool from the other side.
We considered the food to be a very good standard and definitely the best all inclusive we have had. The buffet breakfasts were wonderful, with everything you could possibly want. I loved the fresh mangos, papaya, guava and passion fruit and the juices they made with them, the made to order omelette bar, pancakes and unusual selection of excellent bread and cakes. We preferred the buffets in the Punta Cana/Palace section which were brighter and more modern. Lovely views of the pools and trees from the window tables. The Arrecife restaurant for lunch also had some beautifully positioned outside tables. I probably found lunch the least exciting meal but that might just be me as I was never very hungry having eaten so much for breakfast. The paella served on the beach was good and very convenient if you didn’t want to dress to go in the restaurant.
We tried all but the Italian a la carte restaurants and found them to be generally good to very good. We had an excellent ceviche and a curry which didn’t taste of curry in the Asian restaurant, the Mexican was very good but as others have mentioned the service was extremely slow. The highlight was the Japanese which I considered to be very high, especially if you like fish which was excellent. We ate there three times as it had three types of sitting, the sushi bar, the a la carte and the interactive grill. The pager system worked very well. We usually collected one around 7 pm then waited in the bars for around half an hour for a table. Something I would like to praise is that they managed to get the temperature right, I was never cold from sitting in air conditioning at night, something I hate.
To round up - a beautiful, fantastic value holiday. Would definitely go again especially if I can be sure of a newly refurbished room.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
Grand Bahia Principe Turquesa
Grand Bahia Principe Turquesa
#60 of 111 in Punta Cana
4.0 of 5 bubbles 2,099 reviews

Been to Grand Palladium Bavaro Suites Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!