“Mucho Mahi Mahi”

Gone Fishing Punta Cana
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Gone Fishing Punta Cana offers Deep Sea Fishing that you, your family and friends can enjoy. You can eat your catch, too, in the restaurant on the beach. We offer private 4 hour (half day), 6 hours and 8 hours (full day) fishing charters along with 4-hour shared charter options in the morning or afternoon. Visit our website for more details and send us a message. You don't need to be an experienced sailor - Gone Fishing crew will handle the boat, equipment and help you all the way, so you can focus on fishing, experience one of the best fishing adventures and enrich your vacation. Gone Fishing Punta Cana is Canadian operated, with strict health and safety guidelines. All of our equipment is of top quality and our guides speak fluent English, French and Spanish. Punta Cana is the perfect place for your next deep sea fishing adventure. Visit our website for more details, send us message, or simply CALL TODAY on Toll Free Number. Book today!
Reviewed April 11, 2012

I reserved this trip through my travel agent at the hotel because they told me a Canadian guy ran the business. This was a great trip. I wanted to take my 12 year old son for his first fishing trip and this couldn’t have gone better. My son was able to catch 2 mahi-mahi, I gave up my turn him my turn so that he could have 2 (I had to help with the second one anyway due to the size). I read the previous reviews and in my opinion picking numbers is a good idea as probably 4 of the 9 fish caught on our trip were on the same line so my son may have missed out and I found the boat clean and bathrooms worked. My son is hooked (no pun intended) and we will go fishing anytime we have a chance on vacation.

1  Thank John M

Reviewed April 7, 2012

I should have known when we arrived and the people running the charter service were more focused on getting us to sign a release that the trip was non-refundable than sharing truthful information about what the seas were like on the day we went out. We were told that the seas were at most 6 feet and that that the forecast was for the seas to calm as we went out. After we piled onto the boat we encountered violent seas as we crossed the reef exiting the harbor and 12 to 15 foot seas once we were out past the entrance to the harbor. While the boat was being tossed from side to side the weather got worse and we actually encountered a water funnel which clearly spooked the crew. After seeing their reaction and the oncoming storm I told the crew that we wanted to head back. I was not going to allow my family to be out in seas that were clearly not only giving us concern but all of the boat captains out that day. All three boats immediately headed back for the harbor. The weather was so bad that we actually had to wait outside the harbor until the crew could spot the entry marker which took them 10 minutes to find in the violent storm.

Rather than propose a reduced rate for the trip, the crew once again asked us to sign off on another form claiming that we asked to return and therefore no refund... To add insult to injury they made our entire party walk through a "mini mall" to get to our car to get back to our hotel. Not only did they want our money for the charter they wanted us to spend more money in their shops.

Needless to say we chocked this up as a contribution to the DR economy and a terrible birthday experience for my son.

My suggestion. Don't bother fishing with this company and if you ignore this advice if the waves are breaking when you arrive and the team is focused on getting you too to sign a release... then ask to be taken back to your hotel.

3  Thank CTCT-Traveler
Reviewed April 5, 2012

Enjoyed the fishing. It is fishing not catching. It was an older boat but was safe. Although the seas were 4-6 feet (we were told that is typical for March) the period was at least 10 seconds making it quite pleasant. We were with two other couples who could not handle it. Since we were only 2-3 miles offshore we took them back and kept fishing. If you know you are going to be sick, please be considerate of others and stay home. I caught a nice 20 lb dauphin. We could not keep the fish as our hotel, like most all-inclusives, would not deal with the fish. The mate and captain kept it to eat or sell. Since they make less than $200 a month, I can deal with that. Mates in Ocean City, Maryland typically make $300 a day. We paid $127 each and gave a $20 tip to each.

1  Thank JeffOCMD
Reviewed April 2, 2012

My wife and I booked a 4 hour deep sea fishing trip for $230 from our hotel - the Hard Rock in Punta Cana. We were picked up promptly at the appointed time in a clean minivan, picked up a few other peope at nearby resorts, then headed for Bavaro Beach, about 25 minutes drive. We were given a waiver that they were not responsible if we got sick on the trip. They said the waves were not bad that day, but the waiver should have clued me in. We headed out on a nice fishing vessel with 3 other tourists, the captain, guide, and a first mate. They baited the hooks and set out the lines for us. Then we waited. We buffeted around in increasingly large waves for 2 hours before we even got a nibble. They handed me the pole and I reeled in a Mahi Mahi without much of a fight. That was the only fish we saw that day. They had drinks on the boat, but the waves were doing a number on my wife and I. We both ended up puking violently by the third hour and begging to go back to shore - but there was still an hour left. The crew was very nice and cleaned up the mess we made without complaining. I think they did a good job, but for my wife and I, we were in misery! We both spent the last hour and a half praying that the journey would end. The crew said that earlier in the week they had 12 people on a boat and they were all throwing up. That must have been fun. Good crew and good ship, but clearly, deep sea fishing is not my cup of tea!

2  Thank DrTom234
Reviewed March 27, 2012

Went of an excursion for fishing in mid March, 2012. Did not catch a thing. Didn't even get a bite.

The captain, 1st mate and guide were all friendly and professional. My problem is not with them. It's with the fact that I and 3 other travel mates were sold this fishing excursion in what is KNOWN as a terrible time to catch fish in this area - which we, of course, were not told until AFTER the non-refundable trip. I know that have to make money all year - but when the fish are KNOWN to be uncooperative, turn this into a wale-watch or something other than a fishing trip. Rule #1 in business is to overdeliver on your promises. This rule was violated all day, and it's too bad, becuase I was really looking forward to the fishing trip.

I'm sure that when the fish are biting, this is a fun way to spend half a day. When I went, it was a rather expensive, and disappointing boat ride.

2  Thank JeffKelly01