“Nice hotel, good mood, goog beach, average food.”

Hotel Riu Palace Bavaro
Ranked #57 of 113 Hotels in Punta Cana
Reviewed September 3, 2013

This is our 3rd stay in a Riu PALACE Hotel. After Cabo Verde and México we tried the Dominican Republic.
The rooms are great, the global service too, we loved the pool the beach.

We lacked better food, tourism seems to be limited here and we would apreciate a better relationship between all the PALACE Hotels of this complex (Macau and Punta Cana).

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (3,615)

Reviewed September 2, 2013

We stayed for a week Aug 24-31st for our August trip. The Lobby had a new age design the front desk always went out of their way to accommodate any requests. Room had Jacuzzi bath tub, stand up shower (a little paint bubbling above shower head), minibar, liquor dispenser, futon couch (little dirty), Flat screen (sports galore and english channels,german, spanish) as well, the bed (hard as a rock my back still hurts but has fluffy pillows). Ala a carte resturants were nice Itlalian (think olive garden), steakhouse(think Joes crab shack meets Outback steak), Japanese and Krystal didn't go to these got mixed reviews from other guests. The buffet was ok some of the things they serve would probably make Andrew Zimmern(Bizarre Foods) blush, but you wont starve lots of selection. The pools were clean even though two are VIP only no big deal those are always dead. Once the bartenders start to recognize you they treat you like family. If you can't get buzzed off that liquor then you must have bear in your bloodline somewhere. The beach was nice and clean and the water gets deep really quick for you non-swimmers. The shows at night are good you can tell they work hard at putting it on and enjoy it. The entertainment staff in general are great although the language barrier was a little difficult to manage but this was with all the staff although they are all hard workers. Most of the guests were European,South/Central American, Canadian, US citizens in that orders. So most didn't speak english, but they were ok. One thing though 75% of the other guests love to smoke and they smoke everywhere just fyi. There is a free shuttle that picks you up takes you to shop for 2 hours and brings you back to the resort and this is for all the Riu's. There is shopping on the strip between The Bavaro And Macao and a discoteque(20-40 yr old crowd) worth checking out. I enjoyed my stay aside from a sore back and would stay there again.

Room Tip: Our room had the usual suspects mini-bar(stocked every 2days), Liquor dispenser (JB scotch,Stoli vod...
1  Thank someguyfromindy
Reviewed September 2, 2013

The food was serve cold mangu and the towel at the pool looks dirty and drinks were water down. There's no curtain that separates the room from the jacuzzi. All the complains that you would make they would resolve it the next day, never the same day. Also the mini fridge didn't work and they never fix it. We only had one channel on the tv. This was the worst vacation ever. Don't book your vacation to this hotel it's not worth it.

• Stayed: August 2013
2  Thank Milagros47
Reviewed September 1, 2013

We stayed last November 4-14th for a wedding party. This was our third trip to Punta Cana and we have stayed at another RIU and an all inclusive formerly known as NH Real. If you have stayed at a RIU before, this is on par. The decor is funky...trendy I guess with vibrant colors...kinda south beach meets vegas style. The food is overall pretty good. You can't expect five star quality food at these prices but generally we all enjoyes the food. Our group was about 30 people so we all had the same opinion about the food. The beavh is absolutely great....rained only once (of course on the bride's wedding day) but it made for beautiful pictures with the storms and wind blowing through the bridal party's hair. The staff is great. The rooms were nice. Even though this hotel was new it already had a slighty musty odor in our room...i truly believe this is just due to the proximity to the beach and tropical weather because the resort is spotless and i have found this musty smell to be common at all the hotels. The wedding was beautiful and the staff was very accomodating to make my friend's day wonderful. There is a lively atmosphere but plenty of room to slip off for some peace and quiet. Overall, i would recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed August 31, 2013 via mobile

My husband and I stayed here for two weeks in July for our honeymoon. We have never stayed in such paradise before. Everything was just perfect. We read the reviews before we arrived and came to the conclusion we would make up our own minds and I'm glad we did because I have no idea what most of these bad reviews are talking about! The service from when we arrived was brilliant. The rooms were gorgeous and we had a great location just above the restaurants. Yeh ok the rooms have a bit of a 'musty smell' but its not bad and only natural since wet items of clothing are in there every day. The optics were a fab idea as was the beers and juice stocked up every couple days. The cleaners were in sometimes twice daily and worked very hard. Room service is limited to sandwiches, cake and nachos but if you can't find something to eat, then there must be something wrong with you because the food was delicious and there was so much choice! (I gained half a stone here :/ ) We managed to get reservations for every restaurant when we wanted and never heard of anyone having problems while we were there? The beach just blew us away as it was so beautiful and there were always so many chairs to choose from. Being scottish, we prefer to be in the sun so kept having to move our chairs into it so shade isn't a problem. We walked up and down the beach for miles and we honestly had the best part! The pool was a good size and honestly the service was brilliant. Our favourite was Domingo at the pool bars who would bring us drinks constantly! Try the bananamamas or the sammy sosas, so refreshing! The entertainment staff worked so hard it's unreal, constantly on the go from morning till midnight. Always with a smile. Sexy coco, sexy bonbon, spaghetti, and piña did a fab job. Try get involved in the games as they can be really fun! I did the archery every day and loved it! :) The entertainment at night, ok, a wee bit cheesy at times but some of the shows were great! Our best entertainment though definitely came from the bar staff Edwin, and garrido. Miss them already! So much fun and treated us brilliantly. We tried Pacha nite pub which was fun, and the casino. Casino staff are a bit moody but then they always are! We played the roulette and won a bit of money so walked away happy. :) All of the bars are amazing, sports bar a great place to go at night after hours, the cappuccino bar was heaven. Try the coffee and the milk shakes. We had them every day! There is food available at all times and the food is magic especially the buffet, everything is cooked to perfection, fish melts in your mouth. :)
I would return here without a doubt and I know the friends we made here are the same! A big hello to Vanessa and Fuat, our New York friends, Kent and Brittany, our Florida friends, the Macleod family from cambuslang and to Josh and Kirsty who all made our holiday extra special!!

• Stayed: July 2013
2  Thank devilkitten
Reviewed August 29, 2013

Thus is. A property' with great potential but.... Serve is very poorly. Soppy, lackadaisical uninsured Not helpful.
Restaurants are all very mediocre. Breakfast is best. Otherwise all very poor,
Generally notwotprththe price, I will not return under Any circumstances.
There are other punta Cana resorts that are better for comparable prices,
Beware!!!!!!!

4  Thank Edward B
Reviewed August 27, 2013

We stayed at the Riu Palace Bavaro in August, and we loved every minute of our stay there. This hotel just opened up back in March as far as I know, so the hotel looks really new. The landscaping is absolutely gorgeous, the hotel rooms are really nice and spacious, and the service at the hotel is great, with a few minor exceptions. I wouldn't hesitate to book this hotel again, and in fact, my husband and I are planning on coming back here next year and staying at this hotel again. The food quality is I think above average for the Dominican Republic, with a lot of choices, and the menu offerings at the Buffet change daily, but even a very picky eater like myself always finds a lot of good choices. The restaurants, which require advance reservations, seem pretty good, we only ate at one of those restaurants, the Krystal fusion restaurant, where I can honestly say the food was absolutely delicious. The pool is not huge, but there is plenty of space, and there is absolutely no need to get up before dawn to reserve lounges, which is what happens at a lot of other resorts. The lounges were plentyful here, and it didn't matter what time during the day we arrived, including in the afternoon, there was always plenty of room. I personally much prefer the beach to the pool, as the ocean temperature is absolutely amazing, with crystal clear water, fine sandy beach, lots of palm trees, and again, plenty of lounges available. I usually read or listen to music at the beach, but the views are so amazing I didn't even bother with either reading or music, since I felt like it would be a shame not to listen to the waves :) A few minor little things I didn't like include that the front desk pretty much never had change for small bills, and tipping while technically not necessary is expected in a few places, such as with the bell hops, waiters, and people serving drinks at the pool, as well as housekeeping. We personally only tipped the bell hop and housekeeping, but if we had been able to get change (we made several attempts in 5 days), we would have tipped the waiters too. Nothing much is expected I think, but a few bucks here and there would have been appreciated. Tips are pooled, and then divided up from what I could see. I really liked the ability to get food 24/7, including room service (free of charge) as well as access to sandwiches and hot dogs etc at all hours of the day and night. You can access several of the Riu's that are all right next to each other, except the Macau, only the casino is accessible in that one, but I think it's worth exploring the other resorts, if only to check out their cocktail selection lol. Overall, I absolutely loved this resort, great staff, really good food, and an amazing beach. I can highly recommend this hotel. Another great experience with Riu property.

Room Tip: Try to stay away from being near the Naiboa pool, it's really loud during the day; the walls are...
2  Thank PhoenixRising08