“Fabulous!”

Ranked #53 of 111 Hotels in Punta Cana
Huddersfield, United Kingdom
“Fabulous!”
Reviewed July 28, 2013

Fabulous rooms, no need to upgrade as there's everything you could possibly want and more in the standard suites! They are quite luxurious and kept spotless.
Excellent food with a massive variety, something for every taste. I love the fish and was spoilt for choice every day! Had a fantastic holiday and would go back!
The only slight criticism would be the lack of toilets - nearest toilet is quite a long walk from the main restaurant!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank CharlieToni

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (760)
  • Polish first
Osage Beach, Missouri, United States
Reviewed July 27, 2013

When I made this reservation for our honeymoon, I had no idea of the paradise that it would turn out to be. I have been in restaurant and hotel management for over fifteen years, so my expectations on service are hardly ever met. That was not the case with Riu Palace Bavaro. As I sit in my modern hotel room ( I am still here) and look around at all of the amenities (two headed shower, Jacuzzi on the balcony, and jetted hot tub in the middle of the room) I am amazed by this property. The grounds were spotless, and when I say spotless, I mean I did not see one cigarette butt on the ground while I here. The staff is so friendly and works so hard, every question you have is unanimously answered with, 'no problem my friend,'. We went to Monticristo for dinner tonight, it was our first time this week arriving at opening and were welcomed by the entire staff clapping as we entered (they sure know how to make you feel special.) A piece of my heart is going to stay here with Epi from the front desk, who was willing to help me with many things (I forgot some of my medication in the states and he had it delivered from the pharmacy within twenty minutes) and our VIP pool bartenders Luis Pena Adames and Henry Pache. Everyday they made us feel special by attending to all of our needs and having drinks prepared when they saw us arriving. They were entertaining and really cared about their guests having a good time. I can't say enough about the character of these three men. I would hire them in a heartbeat if I could. We loved Riu Palace so much that we plan to come here every year for vacation to see our new amigos and celebrate our anniversary. Luis, Epi, and Pache, JOB WELL DONE!!!! I couldn't have asked for a better set of people to meet upon arriving and I will never forget you!! Thank you for making our honeymoon so very special. Donald and Leslie Alford

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
5 Thank Leslie A
Stourbridge
Reviewed July 27, 2013

This is a great hotel on a fabulous beachfront location. We had a standard junior suite, very spacious, clean, well stocked mini bar and liquor bar (all well known brands, Smirnoff, Gordons etc) replenished every 2 days, maid service excellent and twice a day. The Air con was a godsend! The open plan bathroom took a little getting used to, but wasn't a problem. Food was good, we ate at the Steak House a couple of times, the Italian (in my opinion the best!), the French but the majority of the time in the Montichristo. You name the food they will probably have it, pizzas, pasta, rice, chips, fish, roasted meats. I didn't find the meat to be the best quality, but it was reasonable. Another favourite was the coffee shop - fab coffees, cakes and delicious ice creams. All of the staff are lovely and appreciate you speaking Spanish and if you give them a dollar tip, they become your new best friend.
The entertainment team work very hard, organising beach bbqs and parties. They all walk around to speak with you, tell you what's going on, ask you to join them but are happy to leave you in peace if you just want to read your book. The evening entertainment is a bit dodgy and dated. A magician producing doves and rabbits - really? We were all upset by this act and had to leave due to the way the magician was treating his animals, the final straw was when a dove flew off course and ended up in the overhead fan - eeek.
Now the bad bits, the rooms are very noisy and we were woken several times a night by drunk, loud guests returning to their rooms at 2, 3 4 and 5 in the mornings. We were awoken at 7.30am by staff wheeling trollies. The other problem is the ridiculously slippery floors! Not just around the pool but throughout the hotel. Witnessed lots of accidents and experienced one myself. On the plus side you can hire crutches and wheel chairs from reception, which is probably a good indicator in itself of how many people end up needing them!
All in all I am so glad we chose this hotel. We would definitely go back but request quiet rooms and take good grip pumps. Last but not least has to go to Spaghetti and his crazy entertainment team. Thank you guys for making our holiday so memorable - got to love sexy (crazy) bon bon!

Room Tip: All prices are in US dollars, we wouldn't bother taking pesos, as we came back with ours
4 Thank ShazzaStourbridge
Warsaw, Poland
Reviewed July 26, 2013

We are a family of four, who spent two weeks in the RIU Palace Bavaro and, consequently, got to know the place quite well. Overall, we are very pleased with the experince, although we would not rate it amongst our best ever.

Among the things that we enjoyed most were: the beach; our room; friendly service; and quality of the food. There were three things that, in our opinion, could be improved: the noise level; the landscaping of the garden; and the interior design of the common areas.

On the positive side, we particularly enjoyed the beach and the swimming pool. There had never been any shortage of the sun beds despite the fact the the hotel was fully booked. The beach was fairly empty, with lots of privacy for everyone, a striking contrast to the overcrowded beach of the next-door Iberostar Hotel. The hotel is fairly new, and we enjoyeed the spatious rooms, with excellent airconditioning and good quality materasses and bed linens. The hotel staff were really very pleasant and efficient. The only exception was the reception, where things vere pleasant enough, but often took time to resolve. We were positively surprised by the qulity of food in the buffet Monte Christo restaurant, as well as the a la carte Japanese Geisha restaurant. The vast majority of the ingredients seem to be grown locally and in a non-industrial way, resulting in a great taste. One of our sons is allergic to industrial food additives and, for the first time ever, he did not develop any skin allergy whilst eating outside of home!

We did not enjoy the noise that seems to be the way of life in the hotel. The rooms are not sound-proof. The hotel is a popular spot for weddings and some of the wedding guests tended to be noisy around their rooms late at night. There is a loud evening entertainment programme each night, performed in the outdoor amphitheatre located in the very centre of the complex. One ends up listening to the music shows untill midnight, regadless of whether one likes it or not (we did not). The gardens had poor variety of plants that did not reflect the richness of the tropical nature of the region; for example, there were not enough flowers to attract the humming birds. The interior paths were unshaded by plants. Consequntly, walking around the grounds in the heat of the day was uncomfortable. This was not improved by the strange half-full fountains, that had modernistic design that did not fit the neo-colonial architecture of the hotel. Finally, the interior design of the common rooms (reception and the Kristal Restaurant, in praticular), was a true manifestation of untaimed kitch. It was in shocking contrast to many other hotels in the area designed in a pleasant colonial style.

Room Tip: The regular junior suites are too small for a family of four, despite the claims of our travel agent...
4 Thank mirek_stachowicz
Whitehall, Pennsylvania
Reviewed July 25, 2013

My family and I stayed at this resort from July 10 to July 17, 2013. We were in attendance for my brother's wedding which took place on the beach of this resort. The hotel is beautiful, the entertainment is fine, the food is okay but they have a roach problem at this resort. I saw roaches in my room, my family members who stayed on the opposite end of the resort had roaches in their room. I also saw roaches in the hallway. Ironically, the housekeeping staff seems to be cleaning non stop. We complained to the front desk and their solution was to change rooms. This would have been an ideal solution if the entire resort was not infested. The staff was not very accomodating. What could have been a very pleasant stay was disrupted by a roach infestation.

If roaches in your room will be a problem for you, then choose a different resort. Although, my brother stayed in the VIP section of the resort and he stated that he did not see any roaches in that area. Wishing you all the best in your travels.

4 Thank Nicole V
Los Angeles
Reviewed July 25, 2013

I want to start with my most favorite, which was SEXY BON BON of the entertainment team, he made our trip into what it was every single day and night starting with out 4 year old to the eldest of 60 year old. We always stay at Riu's but this time the staff of this Hotel made it even more special and amazing. It started at the front desk with Natanael making our every request dream come true. I would highly recommend this hotel solely based on the staff and the way they treat you making sure you are as happy as can be with so much respect. SEXY BON BON, you are the BEST, and we cannot thank you enough for all that you did for us and making our trip the best trip ever.

3 Thank NeedsAVacation25
Providence, Rhode Island
Reviewed July 24, 2013

We returned from RUI a little under three weeks ago. As a member of a group of 19 people varying in ages from 14-50 many of our interests were varied. As we walked in we were warmly greeted by the staff with wonderful drink. When our group booked this trip we were told our rooms would be located near each other and unfortunately we realized we were all separated throughout the hotel. After lots of arguing and some language barriers we had to get passed, we were able to get all our rooms located relatively near each other. The staff does try very hard to accommodate you in the ways they can.

The beach was so beautiful!! It was definitely one of the highlights of the trip. Drinks on the beach, playing volleyball, and nothing like taking a dip in the pool when you wanted to relax away from the sand. The beach and the pool helps make this resort what it is.

The rooms were very beautiful, however the two double beds pushed together was not appreciated especially when people were expecting a king size bed. The lack of privacy was not a huge issue but I could see how it could become one if families stayed in the room together due to the open floor plan. The rooms were cleaned at least once a day but usually more than once.

The food was a major downfall for us. Many people got sick repeatedly not because of the water but because of the food. There were a lot of options but it didn't really agree with most of us, and unfortunately did not taste the way it looks. If the food was better, it definitely would have made our stay better. The beverages were watered down as I saw on many occasions. Not the quality we were hoping for.

Last but not least the service. The service was amazing. All the workers work so hard to help make everyones stay special. the entertainment at night was subpar but you could see the effort. Sexy Coco and Sexy Bonbon always tried to get us to do activities and remembered our names. I don't believe the workers ever sleep because they are always there working through the heat and rain. Great reviews for them!!!!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends