“Great!”

Ranked #52 of 111 Hotels in Punta Cana
Chester, Pennsylvania
“Great!”
Reviewed July 8, 2013

I spent 6 days at the resort and loved it. I read the reviews prior to going and was not expecting a great experience. I was thoroughly surprised. The service was great, everyone smiled and greeted me just walking by. The grounds of the resort is immaculate. The food was actually good, I had heard some bad stories about the food but I ate and was satisfied each time. I would truly recommend this resort to anyone going to Punta Cana.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
6 Thank Tracey W

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (745)
  • Polish first
Marlton, New Jersey
Reviewed July 8, 2013

I stayed at the RIU Palace Bavaro from 6/27-7/2 and I must say I don't get the negative reviews on here. The resort is BEAUTIFUL, the service was excellent, my group did not want or need for anything during our stay. I can't say enough about this resort or its staff. The food was wonderful, especially the buffet. Even the pickiest of eaters could find something it was huge!
I would definatly recommend this hotel and would stay at any RIU resort in the future.

Room Tip: Upgrade your room if you can to one of the Villas, you'll have your own pool area seperate from...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
6 Thank Lisa W
Cleveland, Ohio
Reviewed July 8, 2013

My husband and I just got back from our honeymoon in Punta Cana and we stayed at Riu Palace Bavaro. What a great place! The staff was very friendly. There were LOTS of different food options, all of which were delicious. They do not short you on alcohol by any means - the drinks are awesome! The beach was beautiful and there were a lot of options for water sports/ excursions through the resort. Their entertainment staff was absolutely PHENOMENAL!...always something to do, whether it was dancing on the beach, a beach party, a contest at the pool, or nightly stage entertainment. There is never a chance to be bored. We had an amazing trip and are already planning to go back :) Our only bit of advice - take your own pillow to sleep on. Other than that, everything was perfect!!!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
5 Thank Jacqueline A
Oxon Hill, Maryland
Reviewed July 7, 2013

I stayed at The Riu Palace Bavaro from 6/27 to 7/2 and I travelled with a very large group. Here is my brief overview of my experience.

The rooms...beautifully decorated. I stayed in room 5115 but since it had a king bed and I had a roommate we had to switch it out. We werent able to immediately switch due to the incoming guests so the staff brought us a roll-a-way bed (in the pouring rain) poor things. We did have to put a towel at the base of the door because a cockroach had crawled into our room. The next day I moved to room 3044 it was nice I just didnt like the fact that the two queen bed are pushed together so basically I was still sleeping with my roommate. Another guest in our group was placed in room 1149, her room had a moldy smell and we could see water buckling under the paint on the walls.

The hotel grounds..well kept everyday I saw the grass cut, the water fountains being cleaned or the floor being mopped. NOTE due to the humidity the marble floor may be damp. I slipped and noticed a few ppl sliding while walking to and from dinner/breakfast.

Entertainment & Staff....great although their was a language barrier everyone was still friendly and helpful. Thanks to Yokasta she was great! I sang with the mariache band during dinner and the band would play for bdays and anniversaries. Loved the nightly shows, the club and beach bbque. The staff truely work hard to keep you entertained and happy.

Food...delicious and beautifully prepared. I ate at the steakhouse my last night and the lobster just melted in my mouth! Also walked to a few other Riu resorts and had free drinks.

Overall I would visit this resort again or recommend it to a friend.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank getaway77_12
P
Reviewed July 7, 2013

This resort was the best, the people were there to serve and they did an excellent job of satisfying all of our needs. Food was great and the beach was beautiful. The room was gorgeous the price to stay was reasonable and what you should expect out of an all inclusive resort. I highly recommend.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
7 Thank M R
Mississauga, Canada
Reviewed July 5, 2013

I just returned for a 7 nights vacation at this hotel.
I can;t understand the bad reviews about this hotel. This is a truly very good hotel with few small points to be improved. Unless , youi are used to go to a 6 stars hotel, you will have some issues on this hotel.
Buildings and gardens are very beautiful.
Pools are modern and have a nice lay out.
The pool bar on the general area is a little bit small and most of the time crowded.
Buffet restaurants are good , I would rate 8 out of 10.
A La carte restaurants very nice and I rate 9
Most of the staff doesn't speak English but they try to help and be nice to you.
Beach is excellent . If you have an opportunity go to the Cap Cana or Juanillo beach., one of the most beautiful beach I have seen. This is on the Caribbean side while Bavaro is on the Atlantic Ocean.
There is no issue to grab chairs either on the beach and on the pool.
It is not a hotel for small kids. The pool is not really appropriate for them and not much entertainment for them as well.
Night shows are poor but I was not really very interested in.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank CGuimaraes
Indiana
Reviewed July 5, 2013 via mobile

We stay at the RIU Resorts in Mexico nearly every year. We have always had a wonderful experience there. This trip we stayed at our wonderful RIU , but in Punta Cana. We found that this RIU did not live up to the standards of Mexico. The attitude there was very disappointing. They didn't seem to care if you wee happy or not. One evening we were eating our diner and the couple that goes with us found a worm in her salad and they made no effort to make up for the issue. So, housekeeping wasn't up to the standards that RIU has. Communication was an issue with them also. This RIU also has a other hotel in the middle of it along the beach, which will not serve RIU people. We thought that was strange. You could not leave the resort to go downtown either. Unlike Mexico, it was told to you that it was unsafe. We made due with where we were, but we think we're going back to Mexico next year. Oh yeah, the food was disappointing also.

• Stayed April 2013