“Better late than never...”

Hotel Riu Palace Bavaro
Ranked #56 of 112 Hotels in Punta Cana
“Better late than never...”
Reviewed May 23, 2013

I am writing this review almost a year late! My Husband and I traveled with 6 other couples in June 2012. This was everyone's first time out of the country as well as staying at an all inclusive resort and Riu Palace Bavaro has set the expectations high for all future vacations. From the second we walked into the resort we were treated like celebrities. Every member of the staff was polite, respectful and, did everything they could to make your trip as perfect as possible. Considering this was everyone's first time out of the country we didn't know what to expect and naturally were a little nervous. We felt completely safe the entire trip, the resorts are gated in and have guards throughout the property. The people outside the resort such as vendors are very friendly and didn't make us nervous at all. The food was great, there were plenty of options and we were able to eat at any time of the day. There are a few bars including 2 pool swim up bars, the bartenders are so fun and were always making us something new to try. The encased alcohol dispensers in the room are an awesome bonus! After spending an entire week here not one of us had any complaints, we left feeling like we had made real friends with several of the staff members. We want to return to Punta Cana and when we do Riu Palace Bavaro will definitely be the place we stay!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (776)
  • Polish first
WV
Reviewed May 23, 2013

Stayed at the RIU Palace Bavaro from May 16-21. Would highly recommend others try it out.

Resort itself is about 1/2 hour from the airport so the shuttle ride to the resort is not too bad. It was actually enjoyable going to a few different resorts along the way. The Punta Cana airport was very pretty. It is open aired for the most part and going through customs and immigration was in my opinion quick..only about 1/2hr in total. Only issue(s) we encountered at the airport was in regards to luggage. Initially we couldn't find where the luggage was and then finally I found all the plane's luggage setting off the turnstyle. This was surprising to me but it did make me feel better as we started to pick our luggage up someone asked to verify out baggage claim numerous so that was reassuring. Once we did get our luggage Numerous people kept asking to take our luggage as we made our way through the airport. I couldn't count the amount of times someone asked to take luggage to the point I felt they were pushy. We booked through Apple and I just said no and kept walking and FINALLY found the Apple counter along with many other counters for shuttles to different resorts. Honestly I don't know If these people were up to no good but they made me felt uncomfortable so my suggestion is to know how you are getting to your hotel accomodations and just keep walking to the area where you see numerous little desks for different resorts, vacation planners such as Apple etc.

Once we got to the resort we were very very pleased. Check in was at 3pm and unfortunately we did have to wait a little while til the room was available but it was worth it. We were in the VIP area and had a pool and ocean view off the balcony. Loved the location! Room itself was really very pretty. Love the purple colors in the decoration. There's a stocked fridge, safe, rain shower, Jacuzzi. The Jacuzzi/bath is out in the open. This was a little odd to me but still nice. The beds were also fairly comfortable so no complaints there. Everything worked fine in the room although we did notice there was a bit of issue with water pressure. If shower was in use for instance, toilet wouldn't flush at times etc. but it was not enough to be a major deal just something we noticed on occasion. Electrical outlets in the rooms are a bit weird. At first we didn't think our power cords would work but found they did but the cords just need to be pushed into it and they worked fine. Rooms apparently don't have outside connections. Despite the instructions provided apparently international calls must be made at the reception desk in a little room there for $3 per minute so avoid the hassle of even trying to call out of the room to the US if need be and just go to the front desk. Wi-Fi was free and available in the room. Didn't realize this at first but the user logon and password for the Wi-Fi connection is on the envelope provided when checking into your room.

Housekeeping was very good. Our room was kept really clean, sheets changed daily, towels replaced etc. I enjoyed the towell art daily and looked forward to seeing what would be created daily. Only disappointment with housekeeping was the last day there was no towel art going up to room on the stairs. Not sure why but maybe this is only done a few days a week but their pretty creations were missed! We did notice one day a smell when we came into the room and found it to be the bottom purple decoration on the beds. This was not something that was used to sleep (just decoration) but it was cloth so I think dampness just got to it.

The food was decent at the buffet. We did not eat at any of the reservation only restaurants. To be honest it did seem to lack some variety but we could always find something to eat that tasted fine. Only caveat I would say about the food is to be careful with bones. One evening I got a piece of some type of fish and found LOTS of bones in it to the point I didn't eat it because I was afraid of missing a piece of bone and choking. Same night I tried a soup "Dominican" something or the other soup that I can't remember the exact name of and found a pretty big bone in it. Just be careful for bones in any of the meats and things should be fine.

The Beach was GORGEOUS. Initially we walked down to an area that has some man made rock formations but found that they were most likely just decoration. There's plenty of flat beautiful beach so enjoy. Unlike the Iberostar down the beach the RIU's only have palm trees for protection from the sun. I burn easy and think I would prefer a thatch hut top but the palm trees worked fine just kind of pain regularly having to move the lounger around to stay out of the direct sun when not in the ocean.

The Pools were GORGEOUS as well and well kept. The were kept immaculate. Every morning I saw them being vacuumed, and sides even scrubbed! Pool bar was good too. Bartenders were very nice and the drinks were very tasty(I like the mixed drinks). My favorite drinks were the Caribbean Orange and Passion Fruit drink.

Check-in and Check-out were pretty easy. The reception staff was plenty nice and accommodating.

Did two tours while in Punta Cana. One tour was for ziplining(Bavarorunners) and the other was for the Outback Safari. Both tours were good ones. There's a lot of different tours. I'd recommend going on at least one while there to get off the resort and see some of the Dominican Republic off the resort. I found it enjoyable. Found out after booking through the Bavarorunners that there is a Canopy Tours that has ziplines with two lines so maybe I should have done that one but honestly I felt that the ziplining tour I went on was excellent. The guides seemed to really know their job and were pretty safety conscious.

I have also been to Cancun, and to the Bahamas. I found that overall the staff at this Riu did seem to really have some issues with understanding and speaking English. The staff is excellent and seemed always willing to help out once they understood so be patient afterall you are in their country.

the RIU Bavaro is a beautiful place and we had a wonderful vacation. I'd have no problems recommend someone try it out as well!! Enjoy!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
5 Thank WVSteelersFan
Reviewed May 23, 2013 via mobile

My husband and I stayed here for 4 days/3 nights May 9-12, 2013. My husband and I are are not real picky about things, so we had no major complains about this property. Check in was quick and fast, service from the staff through out the property was fast, friendly and consistent. The resort was beautiful, clean and not overly big. The food was average, but good and had a lot of variety. We did not eat at any of the specialty restaurants because they were booked for the entire time we were there. Our room (3148) was very clean and huge. The mattress were firm but that wasn't a problem for us. But I must warn all couples the king size bed is two beds put together, so there is a crack in the middle. The pool was a nice size and the beach was a long walk from our room but not too far. The entertainment staff was fun and put on a good show. To sum it up, I would recommend this resort definately for a short getaway, I think I would have gotten tired of the food if I stayed longer than 5 days.

Stayed May 2013
1 Thank Tanysmi
Portland, Oregon, United States
Reviewed May 23, 2013

The staff is very accommodating and eager to please. I recommend bringing lots of American 1 dollar bills for tips. We even tipped the landscapers. The beaches are beautiful and very well maintained. After our 5th day, the buffet's were getting a bit mundane, but always a lot of choices. The tuna was the best! The fruits are plentiful and never tire of the plantains or desserts. The wait staff was very friendly and always ready to fill your glass of wine or champagne. I would definitely return.

Room Tip: The garden courtyard rooms are a bit noisy. If you do reserve this, get the upper floor and away fr...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Jobo2travel
Sylvania, Ohio
Reviewed May 21, 2013

I should start off this review by saying that my husband and I are pretty laid back, so things that other travelers might complain about probably didn't annoy us.

For our annual vacation without our kids, my husband and I went with another Hotwire deal and ended up with the Riu Palace Bavaro (sold as a 4.5* on Hotwire.com). We'd done our first all inclusive Hotwire vacation last year and were very pleased so we took another chance and opted to check out the Dominican Republic. We were not disappointed.

Check in was quick and easy. We kept waiting for the front desk employee to try and give us the hard sell to upgrade to a suite or villa, but he never did! He got us our keys and provided us with directions to our room, and by the time we walked to it, our bags were already inside!

Our room (0131) was on the ground floor and looked just like the pictures on the hotel's website. Yes, the bed was a bit harder than ours at home, but it was HUGE! The shower had great water pressure, but unfortunately we didn't get to use the rain head as it leaked and shot water against the wall instead of on me (not a deal breaker by any means!). Our room was always clean and our fridge was always stocked. The in room top shelf alcohol dispenser was a nice, unexpected, touch!

The buffet was plentiful, there were always something to tickle my fancy (we even tried goat one night!). Even at breakfast (I am not a big fan of eggs), I was able to pile my plate with fruit, yogurt and pastries. I loved the Italian cold cuts and definitely ate my fill of sopressa and prosciutto.

We were pleasantly surprised by Krystal, the first reservations only restaurant we tried. We'd glanced at the posted menu and really didn't know what to expect, but we are adventurous eaters and up for trying new things. The appetizers, salads and soup were alright, but wow, the beef tenderloin was amazing! the meat was tender, perfectly cooked and the potatoes had great flavor. My husband ordered the lamb and found it to be a bit tough, luckily for him the waitstaff also brought him the beef as well (though he didn't order it), so he was more than happy with his double meal. The apple pie for dessert was yummy (and the perfect size) and my husband enjoyed the chocolate truffle.

Taino was okay. We hoped to go a second time to allow it to redeem itself, but we ran out of days. The seafood appetizer and Caesar salad we good. We both ordered the steak and lobster. My steak was fine but my husband's was overcooked. My lobster was also okay (have had better at Red Lobster) but my husband's was the consistency of mashed potatoes...very odd!

Geisha was the one reservations only restaurant that we went to twice. The sushi was excellent, I wish I could have had more and made it a meal! The appetizers were also tasty as were the entrees. I like the shrimp tempura best and my husband enjoyed the beef. The chicken and grouper were also good. The tempura ice cream dessert was fun (a bit like ChiChi's fried ice cream).

Bambola (oh heck, I can't remember how to spell it), the Italian restaurant won the award for most plentiful appetizers! They have a hot and cold buffet covered in antipasti, soup, baked pasta, salad...you name it! A person could make a meal out of the offerings on it! The entrees were okay but not memorable...I had the shrimp pasta and it was fine. We weren't very keen on the desserts there so we just headed to Cappuccino after our meal.

Which brings me to one of our favorite things about the resort...Cappuccino! What a fantastic little coffee bar right in the lobby! They had yummy finger sandwiches and pastries (eclairs and napoleons were amazing!) and good coffee drinks. I really liked their version of iced coffee...vanilla soft serve with hot coffee poured on top!

The beach was beautiful. Sand was so soft and fine. Unlike our trip to Mexico last year, there weren't rocks or lots of seaweed on the beach. The wind was pretty strong the first few days we were there so my husband couldn't use the sail boats but he made due with a boogie board and kayak. The weather was gorgeous, 85 and mostly sunny each day. It rained every day but only for a short amount of time and it only interrupted our pool time once.

The pool was very nice (we spent most of our time here). I liked that the pool bar was separate from the regular pool (kept the bar flies out of the way). The water was cool and clean and the permanent submerged lounge chairs were fun to use.

We went on the resort's scuba trip to Catalina island. It was a 90 minute drive to the southern part of the island so that we could dive in the calmer waters of the Caribbean Sea. The trip was definitely worth it...two good dives (saw a flounder and an eagle ray) and lunch was provided.

We found all of the staff to be polite and very helpful, no complaints there.

I can't comment on the nightly shows as we were always asleep by the time they started.

As other reviewers have noted, this hotel is in a foreign country and the citizens of the Dominican Republic speak Spanish. Don't expect for them to understand everything you are saying, but they will try very hard to accommodate you and your requests. Also, the Dominican Republic is not Mexico, so expecting Americanized Mexican food is probably not realistic.

All in all, we would definitely return and recommend this resort.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
6 Thank Meredith B
Fishers, Indiana, United States
Reviewed May 20, 2013

I should first make it known that this was my first all inclusive resort so perhaps my criticisms are 'par for the course' in the realm of this type of vacation. This is going to be a long review so if you want to skip to the bad I've headlined that area "Some Criticisms" (clever huh?).

The grounds of this property are beautiful and impeccably maintained as are the interior public places (sans one). Not only are they well kept but the scale of the aforementioned areas are equally breathtaking. I do not believe this is an adult only facility but we did not see many youngsters running amok, which we appreciated being part of much larger wedding group. Also, unless I completely missed it I'd say there are very limited things for kids to do so it might be worth considering before booking.

The beach area is amazing with plenty of chairs and a very large swimming area, roped off to allow for rental boats and kayaks (free of course). The beach side drink service was also more than reliable and friendly. Since we're on the subject the staff as a whole was another highlight of this trip. I've never seen harder working and more eager to please bartenders and servers in my life. Please bring a handful of singles with you to thank these folks, what's more is they'll remember you for the rest of the day, and in our case the week.

At breakfast each morning (following a 5 dollar tip for our table of 6) we were met by the same waiter, sat in his section and were amazed to find that he remembered ALL of our rather specific drink requests (after a single dine the morning before). Needless to say we remained happily in his service for the remainder of our trip.

The room was nice but across 5 different rooms that I visited in our party there is a musty smell. We noticed that clean linens are often put on tables and beds still slightly wet so I can only assume the smell is its product. As overpowering as it seems at first it quickly becomes nothing more than an annoyance and we did not note any mold or mildew in the room (in case you have allergies). TIP - bring along a febreeze or plug in or candle even and I'm sure the smell will be gone in no time.

Some criticisms

As great as the staff is PLEASE use the safe, it's free and ensures nothing inside will go missing. One room in our group (15 rooms in total) did have some money and a phone taken while at dinner one evening, they had been left on the dresser. Crimes of opportunity require opportunity so just be smart about where you leave your things. No one else in our group had any similar troubles.

The food was not as good, in my opinion, as I thought it could have been. This is most likely a product of the environment and lack of native foods but the vegetable options were VERY limited. Also, unless booking a restaurant you will eat at the buffet and depending on when you get there things may be a little tired. As impossible as it may be I'd suggest focusing on one cuisine per day to avoid becoming burnt out, the offerings don't really change from what I saw. Don't skip breakfast, not only is the most important meal but it's also the best.

Like your favorite neighborhood buffet (sirlon stockade, sizzler, ryans) the booze is, on the whole, pitiful yet plentiful. They do have a few notable middle shelf options (Johnny Walker red, Canadian Club, Smirnoff, Stoli) but be specific when ordering. One standout in the liquor list was the local Ron Barcelo Rum, again be specific when ordering. We later saw it priced at $50 for a bottle in the airport. The mixed drinks are good for about the first hour of drinking each day and they will slowly begin to rot your teeth with their sweetness. The room includes cans of Presidente which is pretty akin to any easy drinking island beer as well as soft drinks, juices, water and more crappy liquor. The draft beer offered at ALL bars leaves something to be desired but with enough limes and a hot enough beach anything can be drinkable. Cans are available in some bars but not others (just ask).

Just a few final thoughts
-Bring a big insulated cup, they'll fill it and you wont have to run back to the bar every 8 ounces.
-There are plenty of US channels are offered if you're booking this trip solely to watch TV in a foreign land.
-To eat at the restaurants you may be required to bring a pair of pants.
-Unlike the US topless sun bathing is common all over the world and the D.R. is no exception. It's not a big deal but if you're bringing immature sons you may want to let them watch some late night showtime first to acclimate them to a woman's body.
-The airport is a ZOO so if at all possible try to fit all your stuff in a carry on. It'll allow you to avoid the longest check in lines you've ever seen and just go down the ramp to security.

Cheers and enjoy your trip!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
10 Thank 1foot_out_the_door
Sarasota, Florida
Reviewed May 19, 2013

I had very positive and realistic expectations when looking forward to a recent trip to this hotel. In fact I am writing this review while actually still at the hotel.
First off I will state that the hotel building, grounds and facility are beautiful in appearance. The hotel has truly some beautiful elegant art pieces located through out the property that truly come to life in the evening with lighting.
The problem with this resort is that the facility is only half of the required vacation and actually it's the people who's customer service skills and demeanor generally make any vacation memorable. In this particular area the hotel is probably one of the worst facilities I have ever stayed at in my 17 year career in the travel industry.

While the first language of the staff is obviously Spanish, I was amazed that even the basics like (water, bathroom) one might expect in a service industry of language comprehension were generally met with looks of confussion. When at the pool the tiny size glasses being used were not adequate, and when asking for a larger glass even for the purpose of consuming water (I don't drink alcohol) I was told not possible. However when asking for a glass of ice, they would bring a large glass filled with ice???

The rooms are very sleek and modern. However being an island one does expect a degree of moisture in rooms. The dampness in some rooms was overpowering to the point of mildew odors.

Our first room was lovely, the beds are firm, but the rain shower when activated sprayed water into the room over the shower door due to a faulty seal. We did bring it to the front desks attention, but they never addressed it. We did however change rooms the second day as an ocean front view became available. We were asked to come to the front desk at 2:30 to get our new room keys. When we did that, we were told to come back at 3 as the other manager would be here then. That would not work for our schedule and so when we asked why the current manager could not give us a new room, we were told we misunderstood the language. However, come back at 3 when the other manager is here, is the same in broken English as it is in unbroken English.

When we moved to the second room, the safe did not function. We called the front desk and they said they would be up in 15 minutes..........they never came, and when contacted the next day still have not fixed it.

The food In the buffet was great for breakfast, and the daytime poolside snack bar does a good job. Neither in my opinion would rate a 5 star rating that the hotel boasts. The dinner buffet however has been a huge let down. The one consistent amazing food experience has been their desserts.

We decide to ask the hotel front desk manager Nelson, to recommend a steak restaurant. He conferred with others and made some calls and advised us of a great restaurant. As a group of 15 we took several cabs on a 25 min drive to a restaurant that was lock bolted closed. Perhaps good service would have been to verify the restaurant he was recommending would be open before sending a large group at our expense.

Finally I have to say the overal impression I have experienced so far here is that don't expect a wow, or excellent customer service here.....they have your money, so just accept what they are willing to do for you.....which is honesty very little beyond anything basic. And at times trying to get water is a basic that they don't seem to care about.

I would realistically rate this hotel a 3* at best!!!

I hope the general manager takes the time to read these reviews and take corrective action to save the reputation of this hotel.

Room Tip: Chose rooms away from elevator and in open air corridors across from other halls. The noise at night...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
6 Thank Trevor B
RiuHotelsandResorts, Social and Community Relations Manager at Hotel Riu Palace Bavaro, responded to this review, May 27, 2013
Dear guest,

Thank you for taking the time to give us such honest and detailed feedback. We welcome all constructive criticism, as it helps us to improve in the future.

We are committed to provide excellent quality of our products and services to our guests. We regret to read that you have left our hotel with an opposite idea in your mind. I have sent your comments to the respective heads of departments involved and actions would be taken to address all your concerns.

We hope you will choose to visit us again, and give us a chance to demonstrate the high standards of Guest Service that are typical at our resorts.

With our best wishes we remain,