“AMAZING - best vacation ever & would go back in a heartbeat - GORGEOUS RESORT & friendly staff best service 5 STAR PLUS”

Hotel Riu Palace Bavaro
Ranked #56 of 112 Hotels in Punta Cana
Reviewed March 10, 2013

Planning a trip to Dominican soon definitely book this resort: in a nutshell here is what you need to know. We were a group of 4 and just came back week of feb 18-25 -2013

1) hotel is gorgeous brand new, modern, spotless and rooms are open concept and very modern ( pls use room service -amazing)

2) front desk super nice - we upgraded to te best room in the building (pool and beach view) room 2124 for 25$ each per person. Worth way more than that. Ppl be nice and tip you get everything you ask for.

3) Internet- just ask front desk for both codes villas ad hotel- they are so nice gave it for free.

4) espresso lover - have the coffee in the lobby ! Wow !!!

5) beach gorgeous - clean spatious and always chairs avail. This resort is big but yet you are close to everything and never feel like ppl are listening to you.

6) pool beautiful clean. Never ran out of towels. They have the best service .. Serving drinks to you at the pool every 20 min. Ask for Gregory this guy was amazing. Like I said too ppl it will make ur vacation better and ur helping ppl who really need the money... Be generous :)

7) entertainment was ok we didn't watch much of it- however as soon as you sat down they came to serve you.

8) the grounds are impeccable and the bathrooms wow you can lick the floor.

9) the food was very good nothing to complain about. The snack bar was amazing more than the crappy stuff u usually see. Buffet service was amazing they always reserved our table. Ask for Rebecca and her crew amazingggggg service.

10) restos easy to reserve went to the Asian one it was good and the steakhouse amazing :)

Overall a BIG "5 STAR" - I walked on the beach and for those who hesitate on the Bahia or the riu - a million times riu. Bahia beaches looks like a pig pen and bathrooms are nasty small and full. The only other one I would consider on that strip is the riu palace Punta Cana!!!!!!

Keyword ppl - give tip ...

Ps who ever said there was no hot water for baths. I took a bath every night and the water was burning hot with plenty of towels and water!!!!!!!! Enjoy

• Stayed: February 2013
7  Thank 8Otto8
Write a ReviewReviews (3,569)

Reviewed March 9, 2013

This review is a little late as it was December we were there. Overall the hotel was really nice- all the usual things such as wonderful rooms all brand new so would be expected and didnt dissapoint.. The pool area was very clean as was the beach and the sea was fabulous!!!.My only slight downer.... The Italian/Japanees/French restuarants were only average (food-wise) and they lacked ambience as there was no music playing in the background ( could have been on low) but nothing at all so lost points in my mind as this would have improved the atmosphere.. but not really much to complain about ... it made a change from the buffet which I have to say was great always somthing to eat for even the fussiest of eaters. An added bonus is the coffee shop in the lobby area such delightful pastries and a good selection of coffees and also ice cream too !! So as always "Riu did it again" I can say this as ive stayed in a few Riu hotels (all over Caribbean and Europe/Tunisia) If you are still not sure if to book then my advise would be to ...Do it ..its a lovely hotel

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
7  Thank Yve B
Reviewed March 8, 2013

I think we read nearly all 600 plus reviews of Riu Palace Bavaro before we booked our vacation. Overwhelmingly, most reviews were very good or excellent, but we were still a little nervous. I am glad to say that we made the right decision to book our 4 night stay here with 3 other couples.

Our group, which was 4 married couples in our forties, had a vacation to remember for a lifetime.

Having been there now, I can see why some of the reviews were negative...it all has to do with what you want out of your time spent there.

For us, this is what we wanted:
- Clean, amazing beach and pools
- Excellent weather
- Comfortable room and beds
- Friendly Staff
- Beautiful views all around us
- Top shelf liqour
- Ability to be alone, or with other nice people
- Good food and lots of variety
- No stress, just relax!!!

So for us, all of the above were excellent! We spent all day laying out in the sun on the beach or by the pool, drinking. That's what we wanted to do.

What you will not get:
- A variety of beers from around the world - they only serve Presidente, which we all really liked
- "Gourmet" food. We all liked the food, but it wasn't the most important aspect for us. There is variety and plenty of it
- Night Clubs or disco's - it's not really for the younger crowd who want to go "clubbing". I heard that there were some clubs close by to the resort if you wanted to leave for that kind of entertainment

There were many other things available such as excursions, water sports etc. but we did not participate.

So if you are like us and want to relax in a beautiful setting with great friends or your special someone, this is the place!

Room Tip: I highly recommend the VIP upgrade. We stayed in the 5300 building which had a partial ocean view a...
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
10  Thank BLC6365
Reviewed March 7, 2013

Watch out for the slippery tiles. More on this later.

Loved the Riu Palace Bavaro! we are a couple in our late 40's early 50th and went for sun and fun. We got both. We have been to Punta Cana several times and many times to the Riu property here but our first at the Bavaro. We were not dissapointed. Let me set the tone for our review that we are pretty easy to please. We are all about clean, secure, a good beach and happy customer service whether it's in the bar or at the towel shack to the front desk etc...we don't need to be fawned upon but we do want courtesy. Good booze is a plus. Shows not really all that important to us...we make our own fun.

Contrary to what many have posted we arrived to very friendly front desk workers. We had Johan and Kenny. Great guys. They actually upgraded our wrist band to be able to use the VIP pool area due to us being repeat guests. I thought that was nice.

Our room was lovely at first we were bummed it wasn't very close to the beach like we had hoped for but then after a few days were happy as it was close to the lobby bar which we used most every night and it was a quick walk back to our room at the days end. Our maid was spot on. We met her in the hall many a.m.'s and she always greeted us with a smile and Hola. We were traveling as a couple so we didn't mind that the bathtub is pretty much in the middle of the room. It's a jetted tub. Nice size. The bathroom does have a door. The shower does have a door and it's glass block but if you are sitting on the bed you can see thru the frosted doors telling you this incase you are traveling as say friends or family and might find it a little awkard. There was a type of curtain you could pull but it was an awkard setup if you are not a "couple'

The grounds are filling in lovely as this resort is only just over a year old. The workers are busy busy every day keeping it in top shape. Clean clean clean everywhere.

The dining was great. What we expect from a buffet. If you are foodie why are you going to a resort with a buffet anyway?? There were plenty of choices for any palate and any age..breakfast was great with an omelete bar if you wanted. We loved the crepes and fresh cheeses each a.m. and the Mimosa's also. Lunch there were tons of "lunch/snack" choices like burgers, pizza etc..but there also were other choices sometimes like fish prepared 5 different ways, pork, beef, etc...dinner followed a different theme almost every night. Each night several choices of pork, chicken, beef, fish...a pasta bar, always pizza etc...if you can't find something to eat here seriously you are being wayyy picky.

We were so happy to see many of the Riu Taino workers at the Palace Bavaro. We were happy to see Francesca. Yay! Great waitress at the main buffet. Works so many hours but you will never see her without a smile. And if you watch you will see she is a mentor to the new/young servers and waitresses and so patient with them. Just as cool as a cucumber. Classy lady.

we did try the ala carte Steak house. Steak and lobster. Seriously! at no extra charge. Very good. But it is a little warm in here at night no a/c but we were lucky enough to be near a window and caught a little breeze. We loved the Italian ala carte also. The Shrimp alfredo lingune and their salad bar very good as was their minestrone soup. The white wine anywhere on the property is horrible. I mean horrible not even like a cheap $3.00 wine. However on a positive note the champange was delish and that is what I drank the entire trip. It was everywhere except the pool bar and a generous pour. There was a fine wine price list but no thanks.

We didn't find making reservations an issue. Get up. Stand in line for maybe three minutes tell the gal which place you want to eat at you can make reservations up to 3 days in advance so we were set. Not hard at all. The other days we ate at the buffet. You get a little ticket to remind you. Yes, they do enforce the long pant rule for men so bring them for the ala cartes.

The beach....ahhh...just what we remembered. We were on this same stretch of beach multiple trips as we loved the Riu Taino when it was there. Now it's been torn down and replaced w/ the Palace Bavaro. I did miss the Taino as it was a great property but $ is king and they must have needed the space.

We did enjoy the VIP area pool we were allowed to use with our bracelets from the front desk as mentioned...the bathroom is really close and we hung out on the beach right by it. The beach guys were quick to find us chaise chairs if we were looking for them. There were plenty. They were new and not saggy anywhere on the entire property. We loved that. Good booze here too.

The Main pool is the busy place w/ the e team and the swim up bar right there etc...we didn't hang out there much. Maybe for the guys to play water volleyball or sit in the swim up bar for a bit but for the most part the beach was our home. The booze at the swimup/pool bar is good too. Yes they have the cheapie cheapie stuff there too but , just say a specific brand that you want instead and they will glady pour it. They had Jack Daniels, Stolli vodka, Jim Bean, Smirnoff etc...and yes the big blender drinks have NO alcohol in it. You have to say "with rum' or "with tequila" etc...no biggie. I am not a fan of these syrupy drinks so I would day, Bacardi Daquiri on the rocks and it was made for me. Fresh, yum!

Love the Moijto's everywhere on the property as well as the cayparinas. Ahh what I love about Punta cana. The beer is Brahma "on tap" and it's average. It's cold so that's good. They have Presidente beer available in cans. That also is good. You can get that in your room fridge which they refill every two days or you can get it at the lobby bar or the Sports bar. I imagine they do not have enough storage space at the pool bar for the the cans there.

The e team was super nice and friendly. The pool was always busy but they did seem to always have chaise chairs available too. They also had shaded areas near the pool to.

Be careful be careful be careful of the gray tile in the pool area and throughout the entire hotel. It is Beyond slippery and I am not kidding. and if you are near the stage/entertainment area there is a good size of black glossy tiled area that is soooo beyond slick it's ridiculous. I witnessed people fall there and it was not a good thing. Also there was a poor old gal that fell in the breakfast area on some wet tile and was injured badly and was even bleeding. Witnessed another elderly lady fall on the slick glossy black tile near the front lobby sliding doors. If it's gray..it's slippery and If it is the black glossy tile...watch out if it is even remotely wet it's lethal. You have been warned. I cannot believe the Riu has not done something about these tiles.

Being that we were at the Riu Palace Bavaro property we were allowed to use of the other properties (except the Palace Macao which is adults only). We could use : Riu palace Punta Cana, Riu Bambu, Riu Naiboa and ours. We wandered thru all of them and were happy with what they offered and all the upgrades each of them has done. Each property is lovely. We were especially impressed with how the Naiboa has been upgraded and freshened up. We loved hanging out at their Bar above the pool The bartenderes Naty and Osvaldo were great.

We hung out almost every day in the Lobby bar. Great vibe, great drinks and we loved Marysol our bartender. She was always busy, never overwhelmed and always with a smile. This was a popular place for people like us that escaped attending the nightly 'shows'

We loved our bellman that we used both times. Tall, gentle giant at 6'10".

The sports bar was nice but a little chill at times w the a.c. The bartender gal was very friendly and nice.

We weren't really all that hip on the shows. Been there done that. We did enjoy the Musika at night tho prior to the shows etc...Liked the Violin players musika.

There was a beach BBQ one day that everyone loved. Right on the beach. BBQ ribs, Paella, lots of great choices. They had a musika tent set up also, they also showed guests the tricks to making towel art . The e team was there giving merenge and bachatta dance lessons etc...just a great energy to the whole event.

Witnessed a few beach weddings that were lovely.

Loved the breeze on the beach. Sunny hot ...bring lots of sunscreen. At least two bottles for two people minimum. You will go thru it.

There is wi-fi available all over the property including our room. Go to the front desk, ask for the "code" they will give you sheet of paper with it and it's good for 7 days. There are computers in the sports bar for a small fee if you need them.

there was 'carnaval" kinda night out on Carribean street on Thursday night. Some musika, the e-team getting the tourists involved in some games. Just a fun vibe.

We loved our trip. We cannot find any fault in the place exceptttt the tiles. Booo!!! We had a great time and met lovely, fun people from all over the world. We can't wait to go back. We have stayed at other properties in Punta Cana but seem to migrate back to the Riu's as we always seem to find "something for everyone". The property was at 98% occupancy and we never felt rushed or crowed and there were always plenty of chairs available anywhere on the beach or dining etc...no matter what time you showed up etc...

If you are considering this property and have questions please feel free to send me a p/m and I will answer any questions if I can.

Sauld

Room Tip: Pay for it in advance in high season. It can be busy place.
18  Thank MARYANN H
Reviewed March 6, 2013

Riu Palace Bavaro is a gorgeous resort. The rooms were decorated really pretty-black and pink color scheme. Very modern. Everything is really clean, and the landscaping and pool area are beautiful. I loved the beach-powdery white sand and turquoise water. The staff got people involved in games and activities on the beach, and everyone was always really helpful and friendly. The large bar area was really nice, but the entertainment at night left a lot to be desired. We saw three different shows, and they were all pretty bad-but the drinks made up for it. I liked that you could walk a long way either way down the beach and see other resorts. A short ways away is Carribbean Street, a really cute little street with bright colored stores that sell every Dominican trinket you could think of. And it is a nice shopping environment-the people are not pushy trying to get you in their stores, and most of the merchandise is quality. One thing I didn't care for was that you had to make reservations for all of the non-buffett restaurants, and they had to be made before noon. I stayed at the Now Larimar a few months ago (also a great resort), and no reservations were required. That was nicer. The Italian and Japanese restaurants were very good, but the Fusion place was for a more adventurous eater than myself. The menu was mostly things I couldn't identify-good for some people-not for me.
Overall, this is a really nice place to stay-worth the money. I would stay again.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends
3  Thank Kelly F
Reviewed March 5, 2013

Stayed at the Riu Place Bavaro Feb. 19-26. Booked directly with the hotel, balcony ocean view. Upon arrival we were informed we had been upgraded to the vip area at no extra cost to us. This now gave us balcony, ocean view, vip pool view and all the amenities the come with that area. Not sure, but I wondered if booking directly with the hotel would have had something to do with the upgrade.
The airport upon arrival was very busy ( 3:00 pm ish), but all told, probably a hour to get through. Not sure if they really even look at the paperwork (entry visa or what ever they call it) and upon exiting the airport with our bags no one bothered to take the declaration form.
Took a cab to the hotel ($40.00 us), after reading on here, that seemed to be a reasonable amount. 1/2 hour / 45 km distance.
Check-in was smooth, we transported our own bags. We were charged total value for the stay on arrival, no problem, given wrist bands and sent on our way.
Resort is new, clean and well kept. Room was second floor corner suite. We had excellent views
Everything in the room was as it should be, clean well kept. Room has a jetted tub which took a long time to fill, not allot of water volume to it for some reason, however the sink and shower had good flow, so I wonder if the flow issue was by design, long time to fill, maybe it won't get used as often (water waster). Used it twice in 7 days, so if that was the logic, it worked on me.
Split time between the main pool, vip pool and beach. Pools were fine lots of chairs, shade, whatever you wanted. Got 2 towel cards on check-in, but found where the towel cards were stashed at the end of the pool day and borrowed 2 more for the duration of our stay.
The beach is very nice, the water pretty clean, a little seaweed at times. They clean any weed off the beach every morning. Sand is of a more powdery texture and easy to rinse off unlike some place where it almost embeds in your skin.
There is a parade of people constantly walking on the beach so its great for people watching and checking swim suit fashion. People come in all shapes and sizes.
It was quite breezy while we were there, not sure it it is like that all the time. In spite of the wind, the sand didn't seem to blow anywhere. If there was no breeze, I'm not sure how comfortable it would be on beach in the blazing sun. The sun is very intense, sunscreen is a must.
Watched people parasailing and thought it would be fun to try. Riu doesn't offer it, so went next door to the Iberostar and booked there. $90.00 for a tandem for 10-12 mins. I watch numerous people do this and never seen anyone up for more than 5 mins. If you go take a clock and hand it to the captain of the boat and point were the big hand has to be when you are reeled back onto the tow boat. I mentioned it to the guy selling the activity on the beach and when I told him I hadn't seen anyone up for more than 5 mins, well, he just had a look of bewilderment on his face, it was a total shock to him, go figure.
Night time entertainment, well, you get what you pay for, I guess I wasn't there for the shows so wasn't disappointed. I did manage to do the whole martini menu (12 I think ) during the course of a couple shows so that was good. Went to the casino one evening and managed to loose some cash, same thing happens to me in vegas, how is that possible?
Lets see, what else can I tell you, oh, the food. How people can go to a resort that has meals based on a buffet and expect anything more than that. Yes, they have the same thing everyday or a version of the same thing. I could seriously not find one thing wrong with the food available to me there. For breakfast they have breakfast stuff, for lunch, lunch stuff and for dinner, dinner stuff. We did do the steak house one night, booked 2 days in advance, no issue. The food was of buffet quality, no better and no worse than I expected. So having said that, I gained a couple lbs while I was there, food or booze, not sure which one I can credit that too?
Check out was smooth, no extra charges. Took a taxi back to the airport ($40.00) again. Filled out forms to get out of the country, went through security, a hour give or take. Don't remember having to pay a get out of the country fee, maybe my airline took care of that for me.
Bottom line, I would recommend this resort to anyone, unless your a foodie, but then, I wouldn't recommend any resort to them.

Oh and to the nice young lady that I accused of being loud in the steakhouse, I was only kidding, my sincerest apologies if I offended you.

Chow Chow Mickey Mouse.
ps- please excuse all spelling and grammar mistakes, I was tired

14  Thank Rick W
Reviewed March 5, 2013

This is our 7th trip to Punta Cana. We were there from Feb. 24-March 3. I would like to start off by stating that this staff was one of the most attentive of all the resorts we have visited in the past. Everyone did what ever they could do to possibly make your stay wonderful The staff was constantly cleaning, picking up, sweeping, trimming, serving, etc. If you needed anything, someone would always step up and assist...even if it wasn't their "job". I know that you don't go to a resort for the food, but for many other things...sun, sand, and surf! This property has 4 speciality(no smoking) restaurants that you need to make reservations for ahead of time...no problem with getting in whenever we wished. Japanese (not that show off type, but menu), Italian, French, and Steak house all had impeciable service and presentation. I wish with all the effort that went into the experience the meals would have been more than average...but they weren't. Everything presented was beautiful...but so-so. The buffet (indoor/outdoor, smoking/nonsmoking sections) also has some special nights and all are quite festive. The grounds were always being attended to as well as the pool areas. I had read comments where people complained about the ever present towel/chair problem...never saw it, but we were at the "VIP pool" area and there was always room. The crew cleaning up the sand area was out bright and early...I think that there is now a contracted crew that polices up the whole beach in front of all the resorts. This is such a great beach to walk for hours...and we did...the waves were a bit rough, but I think that was a leftover from a storm up the eastern US coast...all the seaweedy stuff that washed up on the beach was cleaned up in the morning. Who wouldn't enjoy spending lots of time there! We were in room 5002-ground floor and facing a pool reserved for German visitors (Sensimar section). It was very quiet and didn't hear a thing at all except for the last night. Room was comfortable and functional....especially for cleaning-the bed was on rollers and the housekeeping staff could push it out of the way to sweep...and they did! 4 large drawers and big closet, couch, work table, plenty of lights and a WONDERFUL SHOWER that a small family could all fit into. As with all resorts, the staff makes those towel animals, very cute. It was always nice to come in at night and everything was turned down and towels were replaced (although probably not the best environmentally sound practice). And now for the bed! The first night we fell into bed, totally exhausted, and probably didn't move an inch....that was the only night we slept....YIKES! The bed was just terrible....and almost everyone we spoke to brought up the bed situation, so it just wasn't us. The beverages were replenished every other day, but if you needed something, there was always someone nearby to bring it to you.....went through a lot of water, and they made sure everyone had at least 3 big bottles...you can't drink the tap water. I'm a Diet Coke drinker in a resort that serves Pepsi products but was able to purchase some in the store on the main building. Because we had been in the DR 6 other times, there wasn't an adventure that we planned on going on....although, I was ready to do Zip-Lining again...Our Apple rep (Alecia) suggested a trip into a little town about 20 minutes away. It was DR Independence Day and all the school children came out for a big parade...what fun! The country's pride certainly was showing that day...red/white/blue banners and flags all over. Our venture were to cigar and chocolate factories. Very interesting to see how the men individually cut, rolled and shaped the tobacco and all the yummy flavors of chocolate. I would highly recommend this FREE trip...such a deal...we were gone just a couple of hours and back in time for lunch and more beautiful Dominican weather. The grounds of the resort were beautiful and well attended...although never saw flowering plants (except for those on pillows and sinks in rooms) The resort was easily traversed...not too large and well laid out. There seemed to be more than the normal amount of people in wheelchairs....very accessible in main building, but no elevators in the VIP section. One more comment, and then I'll quit...maybe Americans are used to tipping, but we seldom saw this done. I always like to travel with plenty of singles so that the serving staff, housekeepers, bellmen, and beverage guy know that we appreciate their hard work makes our vacation much more enjoyable. I've seen staff run around for people that will barely acknowledge the effort...what is so hard about leaving a tip for them! The staff makes such a large part of the trip successful. If I was to return to this resort, I would certainly rebook the VIP section.

Room Tip: It was well worth the upgrade to the suites.(VIP section) ...great private pool when you needed the...
5  Thank SwanLakeDr