“Honeymoon”

Ranked #53 of 111 Hotels in Punta Cana
Toronto, Canada
“Honeymoon”
Reviewed February 27, 2013

My Husband and I stayed at this resort for our honeymoon. The Bus ride was close from the airport and when we arrived to the hotel the check in was slightly annoying. Usually when checking in you go to the desk and then you are set, the check in was done in a group setting and was strange. We then went up to our room on the second floor which was very nice! The room was large and spacious and had a beautiful view of the palm tree garden and you could see the ocean as well. It wasn't an ocean view but the water was very visible. I will go step by step.

Room- Very modern with a nice balcony, mini bar attached to the wall and the fridge was continuously filled with pop, large bottle of water and beer. The bed was super comfy and the room was the perfect temperature. Shower was very nice and water always warm with good pressure.

Room Negatives- Very open concept! if you are travelling with someone you are not close with this may be uncomfortable. The only door was to the toilet. I literally took a bath while my hubby sat beside me on the bed watching a show before dinner. It was a little awkward. Also you can hear everyone in there rooms ( yes you know what I mean :S) and the room was very loud from the entertainment, however we had the screen door open at night to listen to music

Staff~ Restaurant and bar staff very friendly!!! However some of the cleaning staff look very unhappy and rarely say hello to you. Most of them are very friendly though. I loved the staff at the resturants, they get to know you and always make you welcome when you get there. The staff at the bars and the evening entertainment we're amazing!!! We became good friends through out the week with the staff. The staff at the front desk we're nice, English isn't spoken the greatest but they do try.

Beach- I go on holidays for the beach and I was told Punta Cana is one of the most gorgeous beaches. I liked the beach however I don't know if its the time of year but the water was very choppy and there we're several large white rocks. I only went in about 3 times our whole vacation, that was a disapointment for sure. Also I don't like that hundreds of people walk up and down the beach all day long. It makes me feel like im in Miami and I would prefer to have a quiet beach while vacationing. Other than that when the water is calmed down its beautiful and crystal clear. We are not pool people however around 5pm we would go sit in the sun at the pool and relax with a drink before going up to get ready for dinner.

Restaurants- In all honesty my husband and I only ate at the buffets. We didn't really like the menu selections at the other resturants, The buffet selection has something for everyone and the food is warm and delicious!!! We both loved the food.

Overall- we would come back for sure!! We had a great time! However for a honeymoon we would have gone somewhere a little more private. This place was to busy for a romantic time. But we still had a blast!

6 Thank Lisa D

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (760)
  • Polish first
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 27, 2013

this hotel was our worst nightmare from the day we came through the door.For starters we arrived there to a smell that was gross and put me of to start with,the decors and cleanliness was good but it smelled.first day we went straight to the pool for a drink by the sea which the beach is amazing probably the only good thing at the hotel,and i ordered a Bacardi and coke they said they don't have Bacardi although it says on the website well know alcohol aswell as local alcohol.So they was rubbish alcohol so i decided to order a pina colada which came out a slush machine with no alchol in unless requested,so i was already being ripped off please remember if ordering vodka ask for smirnoff as they will try to give you the cheap vodka.The hotal was in a good location and enjoyed sun bathing on the beach as it was far,on the beach they is a watersport place which the prices are a joke,but i wanted to go diving so i spoke to the man and arrange a time he said saturday so i went down and he told me i couldnt dive because no one else was going out so i demanded a refund and he kept making excuses "come back 30 minutes my friend has the key for the till".On the first night we were told we could not eat in a restaurant as you have to book in the morning so we had to eat in the buffet so that was already our first night ruined,they told us you have to book at 8 oclock in the morning and you can book 3 day in advance so we went down the next morning the lady said 2 of the restaurants were fully booked so we had a choice and we choosen one and decided it was the right one so went back directly after and the lady said the rest are now booked,so we complained to the Thompson rep and she managed to get us one, so the lady had lied to us.all the staff seemed to work for the tips the would stand next to you waiting for the tip.Down at the ice cream bar/coffee bar the ladies there would often snarl at you because they had to go in the back to get the ice cream.The food was so bad and you were eating the same thing everyday.The rooms were cleaned everyday to perfection and i was happy with this,my son had lost his ray bans and we went to ask reception if they were handed in he said yes but he said that somebody had claimed it,wouldnt you have thought he would of asked the guy to describe them.DONT STAY HERE!CHOOSE SOMEWHERE ELSE.

Room Tip: choose the private villas but no kids alound.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank louis h
RiuHotelsandResorts, Social and Community Relations Manager at Hotel Riu Palace Bavaro, responded to this review, April 18, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback and for expressing your concerns.

It’s a shame that you felt this way. It is important to us that our guests feel welcome and comfortable at our hotel. The ethos of our staff training requires a helpful, friendly and very obliging service at any time. The behaviour of our employees not meeting this criteria is inexcusable. We will raise this issue with those responsible and figure out the problem so that it does not reoccur. We thank you very much for your helpful and reasonable criticism.

I can assure you that we treat guest comments very seriously and take decisive actions to correct any shortcomings. It is only through feedback like yours that we can monitor our levels and standards of service.

We hope you will choose to visit us again, and give us a chance to demonstrate the high standards of Guest Service that are typical at our resorts
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 27, 2013

We stayed at this hotel 29/1 - 12/02/13 eight friends and after a few days we went down one by one with sickness and diarrhoea, and the second week my brother and sister in law joined our group and after a couple of days they too became ill. There are no toilets by the pool and beach, the only ones available are in the restaurant area not ideal when you are ill. We could not join in any of the activities offered as we all felt too ill. The food was barely warm and was often undercooked.

We have stayed in many Riu hotels before and think this hotel does not meet Palace standards. It is a modern hotel with no WOW factors the reception is decorated in a way making it look cheap and gawdy.

On the plus side the beach was lovely, staff very friendly and the bedrooms were very nice.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank June G
toronto
Reviewed February 26, 2013

My wife and I spent 1 week at this resort and it was the very best we have ever experienced. We travel 3 times a year and have stayed at 2 other Riu Resorts in Jamacia but the Palace Bavaro was magnificent. From the front desk service to the maid service it was great. The restaurants were beautiful and the food in both the buffet and a la carte was tasty and plentiful. The grounds were manicured and everything was so clean and comfortable.
The entertainment at night was great. One of the best beaches we have seen.
We will be going back.

Room Tip: Our room faced the boutiques on Carribean Street and we were on the 3rd floor. It was quite private...
3 Thank bongobaby
Staten Island, New York
Reviewed February 26, 2013

Just arrived home and had a great time. The staff was very help full and friendly,although language was a problem a few times with house keeping and wait staff. Our room was very nice and well keep. The housekeeping staff was attentive to my requests . On our last night a leak developed in our bathroom ceiling over the jacuzzi tub,. I called and had a new room on same floor in less than 30 minutes. All my question were answered at the front desk and there was always someone there that spoke English.the food was average, but I found it to be clean ,no flies, and at buffet always something good to eat. The fish fillets were always excellent. Having spoken to many people from other hotels , average food is the norm on the island . The cocktails are great, and use quality booze when asked but there local stuff is good to. Their beer well not great, they serve brahma beer on tap and presidente in the can. Both are drinkable but are a like a lower quality Becks. If your a beer drinker presidente should be your choice. The beach is
beautiful and pool is clean always chairs available at both. Even the pool bar always had a seat. All and all a great time would go back tomorrow if I could.

Room Tip: I had a jr suite superior, it was excellent. Also although it is all inclusive I found a small $10 t...
3 Thank Steven C
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Reviewed February 25, 2013

We've traveled pretty extensively and were very excited to book our trip with some great friends (there were 4 of us) to the DR. I'll start with the positives. Our experience with travel (including transfers), check-in, overall service, the hotel grounds and beach were fantastic. This hotel is immaculate, and I have pretty high standards. The rooms as well as the bars/restaurants/common areas are spotless. It's a new hotel and it's maintained very well. The beaches are some of the best I've seen in the world. The pool is really nice and we had no issues ever finding beach chairs together. We did take advantage of some watersports; we kayaked and my husband windsurfed and took out the catamaran. Very fun. There are some cute shops in close proximity. Now for the negatives: The food is awful. I'm not just speaking of "I don't care for the taste of blah, blah, blah"- I'm saying it's not prepared well and it's not safe to eat. I was TERRIBLY ill after having eaten mussels on the lunch buffet near the steakhouse. As other reviewers have indicated, food just sits out without proper temperature control and it's a free-for-all with bugs, etc. I believe the spoilage mostly occurs from temperature issues, though. I ate the mussels on our first full day on our trip and did not feel well for 10 total days. The other issue I had was with the drinks- there was only 1 type of beer (Presidente) which was great when it was served from a can in some of the restaurants, but at the bar it was on tap and tasted AWFUL. The mixed drinks they served were horrible- they do have top shelf liquors, but will serve cheap stuff unless you specify. So, I specified what I wanted and they were still un-drinkable because of the mixers being so cheap and disgusting. Also, the entertainment was pretty poor in the evenings. The guys near the pool did a pretty good job during the day.

Overall, we had a great time on trip (aside from the 2 days I was vomiting) regardless of the food/drink issues- because we were away with great friends in a beautiful place, but I would never stay at this hotel again.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
6 Thank love_my_3_girls243
Port Huron, Michigan
Reviewed February 25, 2013

We booked our vacation with Cheap Caribbean and were very pleased with accommodations that were booked for us. The property was very clean and the food was very good in the main buffet the specialty restaurants were ok but we enjoyed the choices at the buffet. The pools and beach were the best. We will go back!!

Room Tip: all the rooms are good but the upgrade to the suits is well worth it.
1 Thank Cemily46