“Great Vacation”

Ranked #17 of 111 Hotels in Punta Cana
Cherry Hill, NJ
“Great Vacation”
Reviewed July 8, 2007

We stayed at this resort from 6-29 to 7-8. It was our first time to Punta Cana. The staff was very friendly. The beach is great. You have the choice of waves or calm if you walk down the beach a bit. Although the food was tasty we felt the food at Secrets Capri, Mexico is much better. The best restaurant is The Barcelona. At night it was nice to have a lively night club and casino. Don't forget bug spray if you do horse back riding. Shopping was fun at the huts. Bring them a cold drink for a better price. Hut #6 was easiest to deal with, Nancy and Cheapy Charlie.
I'm sure you'll have a wonderful trip.
Please e-mail with any questions.

• Liked — the grounds are kept very well - great palm trees
  • Disliked — the view from our room - building #6 - but it was next to everything
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled as a couple
3 Thank MarzanaBZ

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3,557)
  • Korean first
New York, NY
Reviewed July 8, 2007

The Excellence is Excellente!! Besides beautiful beaches, a lazy pool with a fabulous pool bar, there's nothing about this place that I disliked. The rooms are large, each with a whirlpool tub, and the maids turn down your room each night and leave towel animals on your bed with fresh flowers.

The food is plentiful, and while the dinner portions are not huge, you can certainly take advantage of eating alll courses :) There is plenty to do both during the day and at night. Horseback rides, aquarobics, 4 wheeler tours, pool volleyball etc. etc. At night, there's is always a show, and even dance lessons, karaoke, a disco and a casino.

Above all, however, is the extremely friendly staff. They truly cater to your every need, and the entertainment staffs works so hard to make sure you have a great time. You easily become friendly with each member, know them by name, and they'll even know you as well. They are a blast, and some of the nicest, most geniune people I've ever met. You can't go wrong in this resort!

• Liked — Super friendly and accomodating staff
  • Disliked — dinners were not amazing, but still delicious
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled with family
4 Thank Kris10Dozer
Rockford, Michigan
Reviewed July 6, 2007

We chose Punta Cana as our honeymoon destination, and very glad we did. We were guests at the excellence resort. The drive from the airport (1 hour) was in a new van with no other passengers. Our driver was very careful to avoid the holes in the road (they are currently building a major highway that will help).
We opted to spend the $160US for a helicopter tour and ride back to the airport for our departure. Well worth the convenience and money. Viewing the area from a helo just can't be described.
Our only issue would be that they should have more options open for dining during their special events ( theme dinners, beach parties, etc.) everything else was as close to perfect as I could imagine.
We will be going back within the year. I saw Puerto Vallarta grow from a cobblestone road to what it is now - I think I'll enjoy watching this (Punta Cana) grow even more.

• Liked — Honeymoon suite - 2 Jacuzzis
  • Disliked — Dining scheduling
  • Stayed May 2007, traveled as a couple
3 Thank galan
Tampa, Florida
Reviewed July 5, 2007

My wife and I decided to go to Excellence at Punta Cana for our honeymoon. We just loved everything about this quiet little resort in the Dominican Republic. The staff was always so friendly and willing to do whatever it took to make us feel appreciated. When I asked Verne in the gift shop to get me some sugar cane he came through and got it for me and then Victor at the Cielo Bar took the time to clean it and get it ready for me to eat. I used to eat sugar cane as a high school kid in Taiwan and that little gesture from them made me feel really special. Also, Jose at the Cafe Kafe on Santo Domingo Plaza was so consistent with his smile, even after working all day and night; making sure we had our drinks in a timely manner. There was also Luciano, one of the entertainment mc's, amazing smile and kindness, so eager to bring the energy of the crowd up a little bit more. Our thanks are also extended to everyone on the staff at Excellence, from the landscapers to the bellstaff. Oscar and Julia were wonderful with our romantic oceanside massage on the beach, they had us sore the next day because they insisted on giving the best quality massage. Overall, it left us with a lifetime memory.

• Liked — The Staff
  • Disliked — Not Being Able To Eat Dominican Food While We Were There.
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled as a couple
5 Thank mclochness
Washington DC
Reviewed July 4, 2007

The place was beautiful beyond compare. The grounds, gardens, facilities were all outstanding. Comparable to 4 star hotels in Hawaii as far as providing a feeling of paradise. This was an all inclusive, so I was a little worried about the quality of the food and service. All I can say is that I was pleasantly surprised. I have been on several medium to upper cost cruises and the food at the Excellence was superior.

Service was also outstanding. The entertainment staff had a few stars which I have to mention. Daniel, Andreas, and Francisco made this a very memorable trip. They were always engaging, pampering, and delivering Excellent service.

The bars were even staffed with personalities that bear mentioning for their level of service and committment to ensuring their guests were having a good time. Benjamin and Kenny are quite a team. They deliver you beverages with a smile, humor, and a taste of island hospitality.

These people made this a very memorable celebration for my 15 year anniversary. I will be back!

• Liked — The grounds and the employees
  • Disliked — Too far from any town or city
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled as a couple
4 Thank ninjason
Detroit
Reviewed July 4, 2007

As we arrived to the resort after a long day of travelling we were thrilled to see that Excellence was the nicest of all the resorts we saw along the route from the airport. We were greeted with champagne and smiles before we were told that our honeymoon suite was not available which was the biggest disappointment of our trip. They had apologized and gave us a walk out poolside room along with an excellence club membership for compensation.
It didn't take too long for us to forget about the honeymoon suite we had booked months in advance and didn't get. The room was beautiful and the walkout poolside was a definite plus.
The staff was EXCELLENT! Always smiling and helpful which was the best customer service I have ever seen at an all-inclusive resort.
There were several restaurants to choose from and always plenty of food to eat at anytime. I'd rate the food an 8 out of 10 depending on which restaurant. There was plenty of entertainment at the resort like bands, dancers, shows, etc. Our particular favorite entertainer was Domingo, a saxophonist that was second to none.
Overall I'd have to say that the Punta Cana Excellence Resort exceeded my expectations. I would definitely recommend this resort for honeymooners or any other couples looking for a romantic getaway. Honeymooners from Michigan June 2007

• Liked — the staff and grounds/pool/beach
  • Disliked — far from many excursions and cities
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled as a couple
7 Thank NomadDetroit
Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic
Reviewed July 4, 2007

I Stayed at excellence Punta Cana, it was great, one of the best hotels i've ever been to, Rooms are great, service is incredible. There is this bar Cafe Kafe, if you run into Benjamin, and you speak spanish not only will you get great drinks, but also you will have a good laugh. he is the best bartender I ever met.
Drinks, oh drinks, only premium like you wont find at an all inclusive resort in DR.
The pool is very nice, and they have these beds all along the pool, great, but the part i loved best was the beds they have at the beach, private, nice.
The food, dont get me started on the food, they serve really good food, lots of variety, lobster when you want it.
Stay at this hotel, is worth it.

• Liked — Eveything
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled with friends