“Still As Excellent As Before!”

Excellence Punta Cana
Ranked #15 of 114 Hotels in Punta Cana
Reviewed June 24, 2007

This was our second time at "Excellence Punta Cana". We visited it the first time four years ago when it was under different ownership and called "Secrets Excellence". It was fantastic back then and it's still fantastic. There were a few minor changes but nothing to make it a bad experience. Back then it was specifically for couples only and now it's adults only (no children allowed). The staff at the resort is extremely accomodating and they go out of their way to
spoil you and pamper you. There are some employees there that were working there four years ago and still there now, so that alone tells
you it's a great place.

There's a wide variety of foods to choose from and our only negative comment regarding the food is that we wish the resort would have kept
the Dominican restaurant like they had four years ago. When we visit the Dominican Republic, we naturally expect to eat Dominican food, however the only time we ate Dominican food was on a Tuesday evening when the resort had the beach BBQ. The food was delicious! The other restaurants serve French, Asian, Mexican, Italian, Mediterranean, Lobster and grilled foods. Again, all those restaurants serve delicious food and we loved all of them, but we had hoped to ALSO eat some great Dominican food. We hope that they bring back the Dominican restaurant after reading this review because I'm sure there are other visitors who feel the same way. They also have beach BBQ cooking around 12:30pm every day. In any case, the restaurants were fantastic and no reservations are required. You eat whenever you want. What could be better than that?

The entertainment staff holds games and events throughout the day that you can participate in or not. There is no obligation. If you want to relax, you can do that, and if you want to join in and have fun, you can choose to do that too. At night there is live entertainment. At around 9:30pm there is a pre-show in which they have audience participation if you wish. Then at 10:00pm the main show takes place. This lasts until 11:00pm and then from 11:00pm until 2:00am the disco is open and they either have a theme party, contest or you can just dance, drink and enjoy yourself. Some of the contests are hilarious and some are a bit risque. They had a pajama party contest one night but it really was more of a lingerie / underwear party instead. They also had a 1970's / 1980's theme one night too.

The ocean is on the Atlantic side so its rather rough and you swim at your own risk however it is still beautiful, clean and seaweed free. The sand, beach, and resort grounds are wonderfully maintained and clean. All the resort workers are polite, pleasant and always in a good mood and never rude. In fact, it bothers me to see an occasional hotel guest sometimes being rude to them when these people go out of their way to please you. They all work long hours and they all seem to do it with a smile on their face.

Benjamin is, in our opinion, the world's greatest bartender. This man has a wonderful personality, endless energy, a sense of humor and
always smiling. He works hard and bartends at one of the busiest bars
on the resort, (Kafe' Cafe), yet he is always pleasant and makes the best drinks too. Benjamin's a great guy!

There were many people who made our stay pleasant and memorable and it's hard to remember all the names. I'll try to name some: Benjamin,
Francisco, Andrea, Ricardo, Pedro, Franklin, Mario, Kelvin 1 and Kelvin 2, Fiordaliza, Leticia, Danielyi, Julio, the emcee guy at the microphone every night (sorry I forgot your name!), and Oledys at the breakfast buffet.....and so many others (there are too many to name but they are all great).

Our hotel room was very clean and our mini bar was always well-stocked with bottled water, beer, soda and juice. If you decide to lounge by the pool and you want a shady spot, I highly recommend that you put a towel down BEFORE you go to breakfast because the shady spots go fast and the sun is VERY strong. I used SPF 50 and I still got a little sunburned so be careful and drink lots of bottled water to keep hydrated.

Everyone we met that worked there spoke both English and Spanish. Sometimes I will read a review where a guest complains that there's a language barrier. Those type of comments are ridiculous to me because if you are traveling to a foreign country, people are obviously going to be well-versed in their own language first and then English. DUH ! It's the Dominican Republic and it's the Caribbean. Some things that people write and complain about are downright ridiculous, so if you are reading resort reviews to help you decide where to visit, please do not base your decision on ridiculous comments that some people write. There are 6 or 7 restaurants on this resort, so if you can't find something to eat that you like, then stay home and go to McDonald's. I mean, REALLY - then there is something wrong with YOU.

Overall, this is a high quality, really great adult resort and you will have a great time whether you are relaxing or participating. You won't be bored and you will be treated wonderfully. The food is delicious and the drinks are too. You will never be hungry or thirsty. There is horseback riding, a spa, a gym, a gift shop, a small casino and there are vendors a couple times a week selling souvenirs. One comment about the vendors is that they are overpriced so bargain all you can with them or else just buy your souvenirs off the property instead. There are also other activities offered that are not part of the all inclusive, however, that is up to you whether or not to participate.

This is a great resort and we would definitely go back a THIRD time!

17  Thank MrMrsCaribbean
Write a ReviewReviews (13,667)

Reviewed June 23, 2007

I recently stayed at this hotel for 5 nights and had a very wonderful time! The staff goes out of their way to make everything perfect from the pool and beach services, housekeeping, and all waiters at the restaurants.
The rooms were great and the jacuzzi was a wonderful way to wind down after a day in the sun. It was lovely being able to order room service (expect a 45 minute wait) at any time of the day! At 10:00 p.m. try to take in the shows. They are actually quite good especially when they schedule dancers.

Some tips--
-Unless you want a room that walks out directly to the pool, request a room on a high floor if you want to avoid foot traffic
-The Excellence Club was a bonus because you had the opportunity to run out and get a snack all day, the internet, and the personal concierge services
-Bring bubble bath (if you are into that sort of thing)
-If you want to get a bed by the beach, get there early as they are a commodity

Stayed: June 2007
6  Thank rbnyc
Reviewed June 23, 2007

I booked this trip for 13 people ranging in age from 19 to 78 years old a family vacation that was amazing. Everyone had a great time.
First of all the entertainment staff was nothing short of amazing Isabel Felt like one of the family Fransisco was always there helping us isnez, jolio ,Little shak as we affectionally called him were always there making sure we were having fun playing basket ball, volley ball, dancing lessons on the beach with Isabel and jolio really got us going. My mother was in a wheel chair but Isabel danced with her at the disco making her feel included in everything what an amazing young women!

We booked Horsebackriding on the beach we wanted a special ride since we are all horse people we were not dissappointed!
We galloped on the beach at high speed since thats what we wanted perrie' helped us book the trip and went along for the ride we rode at 700 at night because it would be cooler it was amazing.

The staff went out of thier way to make us comfortable the food was great large selection for anyones palet. Although they arent really set up for large group dinners they made sure to put us together and never acted like it was a problem. Breakfast in the morning they always had a table ready for us and we never waited to be seated.

I never had to use my bug spray once not one bite" The resort was amazing from the champain and cool rags we got when we arrived, to the beautiful rooms that were spotless and spacious.

The water was amazing we are from New Jersey and are used to waves these were great but no undertoe so you could just stay in the same place without working. The beach is beautiful clean and palm trees everywhere with large beds on the beach and plenty of lounges to lie on as they serve you drinks and bring you food and you never have to get up.

The drinks were great even the wine was good. The pool is amazing and very clean.

I can't say enough about this beautiful resort and having no small kids there was really relaxing. We were never bored and can't say anything bad about this place. The bus ride was fine airconditioned no problem. The airport gives you that island feel for sure. If you book this vacation you won't be dissapointed, we weren't and we will be back again.

One small note we tipped even the entertainment staff they deserve it. A few dollars goes along way for them remember that.

• Stayed: June 2007, traveled with family
7  Thank kellynsteve
Reviewed June 23, 2007

We celebrated our anniversary at Excellence Punta Cana, after staying at the Riviera Maya location last year. This resort is as wonderful as most people here has said it is. Without restating what everyone has already said, here are the main highlights:

The staff are all very hard-workers, are incredibly friendly, and very pleasant to be around. They try to get people involved in all of the daily activities, but do not pressure you if you just want to lounge by the pool/beach.

The rooms are very comfortable, clean (yes, there may be some bugs in the room, but this is the tropics - you have to expect that!), and the maid service is very thorough. Overall the food is excellent (maybe not 5 star quality, but excellent for an all-inclusive resort). The best restaurant is Chez Isabelle (the French restaurant - the Chateaubriand is superb). The waiters/waitresses are friendly, and most speak english very well - if you have any special requests which they don't understand, they always find another employee that can help.

The pools and beach are fabulous. The beach is well-maintained and extremely clean. During lunchtime, the staff would come around with pizza, and there was always some BBQ going at the beach. Perfect since we did not want to get up and go to a restaurant for lunch.

As mentioned in prior reviews, if you want any souvenirs, go directly to Nancy at hut #6. No haggling, she is incredibly nice with no sales pitch, and she will give you the best price. Everyone else - be prepared to haggle and be harrassed with cheezy sales lines (seriously, most of these vendors, or sharks, are a hundred times worse than used car salesmen!).

Now to dispel a few myths which some people have written:
1. The ride from the airport to the resort is not nearly as bad as some people have stated. Yes, it is a long ride (about 1 hour if no stops are made; going to the resort, they dropped off one couple at another resort which added 15 minuted to the trip). But the roads are not that bumpy - it may not be perefctly smoothe, but it really isn't a bad ride - very comfortable and relaxing; enjoy the countryside. Seriously, coming from NYC, some of the roads here, such as the BQE and Belt parkway, have more bumps and potholes than there were on the way to the resort.

2. The beach is not nearly as rough as what's been mentioned. There are waves (the resort is on the Atlantic Ocean, not the Carribbean Sea), but the waves are not that rough and there was never a problem going relatively far into the waters. Again, I'm used to the Jersey shore and the South shore of Long Island - the waves and the currents there are much stronger than the beach at the resort. But if you do want an even more tranquil beach experience, just walk a few minutes to the right of the resort (facing the ocean) - this takes to even more calm waters as you will get closer to the Carribbean Sea.

One last thing: Every night in the plaza, there is a saxophone player named DOMINGO - HE IS A MUST SEE!!! HIS SAX PLAYING IS MAGNIFICENT AND VERY RELAXING! Plus, he is very friendly and personable. We made it a point to listen to him every night, and before we left we bought his CD! We listen to it often - there is great music on it, and it helps us reminisce of our wonderful vacation.

To Domingo: Thanks for the great music - we love it! From your friends, Ricardo & Eileen.

If you have any questions, feel free to email me: rls4094@hotmail.com.

15  Thank Richard S
Reviewed June 22, 2007

For my 50th my husband treated me to a stay at Excellence Punta Cana June 11-16. As so many before me have said, this resort truly lives up to it's name. We have been to Sandals a couple times in Jamaica and truly enjoyed our stays, but I would have to say Excellence was better.

Our trip from the airport was not bad at all. Bus had fully functional AC and was reasonably clean and NOT a scary driver. I've had a few of those on other trips and appreciated not having an anxiety attack en route to resort.

On arrival we were greeted with cool cloths and champagne and check in couldn't have been easier or quicker. We had room 11104 toward the end of the complex 2nd floor ocean view. It was very nice. Clean and cheerfully decorated with a well stocked fridge. The in room whirlpool was most welcome as was coming in to find the towels bedecked with fresh flowers each day. Although we had a balcony facing the ocean, in honesty, it was so hot I wasn't able to enjoy sitting out there as I normally would tend to do. That being the case and assuming hubby paid an upgrade for ocean view I might consider saving a few bucks and go for the garden view next time. Gardens and grounds were lovely and with the heat outside, I wasn't able to leave the door to the outside open to hear the surf anyway.

Speaking of the gardens, do take a chance to stroll around the property early in the AM and enjoy the beauty of the grounds. I'm an animal lover and especially enjoyed chatting with the macaws each morning. They are quite friendly and let you know when they want to be picked up by reaching toward you with one claw. DO NOT pick them up if you have a necklace or earrings on. Also they sometimes climb right up to your head so if you're not comfortable with a very large bird preening you best leave them be. Also, although they are fine with being held they don't like being stroked. I also enjoyed feeding the flamingos just across the way. On leaving I heard there were some actual trails to explore that I never found on my own. If I were to have one small complaint, it would be that I would have appreciated an orientation tour of the resort.

Food was absolutely delicious and service wonderful. I only had to wait for dinner one night and that wasn't more than 10 minutes. Went to order a margarita and a table was ready. I didn't try Toscana or the Lobster House. I would have loved to go there but being in a mixed marriage-- shellfish lover/fish lover it didn't work out since all dishes include lobster. It would have been nice if the menu was a little bigger to accomodate families like mine...we can't be the only ones with a lobster lover/hater combo. Fantastic meals at Chez Isabelle and Spice. And...much to my surprise, the Grill. I'm not a big meat eater and went there for my husband's choice only to find it delicious! Try the mixed grill BUT make sure you bring your appetite. Only problem with this restaurant is that it's open air, which I normally love but it was hot even at night. The second time we ate here we had the balcony seat and that was better. Breakfast and lunch buffets were also wonderful. And I really enjoyed the cooking class on the beach. This is where we got some real caribbean food. Even the pizza's delivered (unrequested...they just come around and bring them to you) to the beach were yummy.

The hotel staff couldn't have been nicer. I especially enjoyed Antonia who was our breakfast server and Francisco who led the Spanish classes.

I don't know that I've ever seen a more beautiful beach. Clean and clear..not crowded and sand like soft powder under your feet. This is one of those smart places with the no-building- higher-than-a-palm-tree rule and boy does that make it nice. Even with this huge complex it looks very natural thanks to the palms and plantings. It is the rainy season, but frankly, the clouds in the afternoon were a nice break from the sun and posed no problem.Good news for my fellow red heads...plenty of shade both at beach and pool. Also, much to my delight after reading numerous reviews here, I didn't see a single mosquito or biting fly the whole time I was there. And we went for a stroll each night after dinner (had to do something after those delicious meals). I'd still bring my bug juice to be safe.

We really needed to destress and that's just what we did. I normally like to go diving or sight seeing but it was so beautiful and relaxing I never did anything more taxing than borrowing a boogie board. Didn't even try the spa because I was just so relaxed and happy on the beach or in the pool afterwards.

A word on tipping: it's an all inclusive and so theoretically not necessary but these people work so hard and are so nice why not? I wanted to bring gifts as some people here suggested but ran out of time so I stopped at the bank for a pack of ones and a pack of fives and just spread them around freely. I don't think it bought us better service because the service is just great anyway. But I felt better sharing and a little goes a long way here.

Well, I seem to be getting long winded here so to sum up: SUPER place, SUPER setting, SUPER staff. For a relaxing, wonderful time in a beautiful spot book this place. You won't be disappointed!

8  Thank JerseyTracyJean
Reviewed June 22, 2007

After a long and crazy day of traveling, the calm and serenity of Excellence was overwhelming. Our trip was amazing...a real treat.

After being delayed out of Detroit that morning and navigating the amazing un-organization of Miami International we arrived in Punta Cana for the ride of our lives. Thanks to other Trip Advisors we were ready for the $10 entry card charge and had mentally prepared ourselves for the adventurous ride out to Excellence.

We booked through American Airlines Vacations and found it to be a good choice. Not only did they offer one of the best prices, but we felt comfortable with their longstanding reputation as a corporation not just some cheap online agency that might have saved us a little bit of money. American works with Prieto Tours and they had nice shuttles. The bus we took upon arrival was clean but smaller. It sat about 12 people with 2 seats on one side and singles on the other. They all have armrests...you will want them!

The ride took about an hour and 15 minutes after stopping at 3 other properties. Kinda neat to get a peek at other places though. The road was narrow and winding with "vehicles" passing on all sides. Mopeds, semis, horses, we were all one on that road. Luckily we never got too close to anyone! Appreciate all you have in your life as you view Dominican life for many of them.

Arrival was as promised, cool towels, champagne, and easy check-in. Our room wasn't ready so we waited a few extra minutes before being given a different one. The only annoyance was that we had to bug the desk about how long it was taking for our bags to arrive. It probably seemed longer because we were so hungry! With that out of the way, we proceeded to have a great time.

Food: Beef is always a good bet. Tenderloin in Barcelona, Chateaubriand in Chez Isabelle (order one step rarer than you like) were great. Carib. Shrimp and the Grouper Sandwich for lunch at the Grill might be two of the best items they do. Overall, the highlight of the stay was the Tuesday Night Dominican Beach Party. Great food, music, and a cool breeze made it a memorable night. Good company also from the friends we made from SE Texas and Harrisburg. A couple of mornings the breakfast buffet was stiflingly stuffy. We had room service breakfast the next day and it rocked! The last day, the air was cranked.

Service: Everyone we encountered was working hard to ensure a great stay. They were smiling and light-hearted, and it really seemed genuine. We tipped a couple of bucks here and there and it was appreciated. I found that speaking Spanish with the staff went a long way as well. It seemed to acknowledge that they were people too and that we were in their country. Another idea we got from TA was to bring toys for the local kids. We talked to our 4 year-old daughter about how poor the kids are in the DR so she weeded out a bunch of small items that we brought down in 2 big ziplock bags. We asked our housekeeper if she had a family and she went nuts when she saw what we had brought. We wrote a note stating it was okay for her to take the toys off property. She said hers kids were "locos" when she brought them home.

Pools and Beach: Follow the breeze. If you go in the summer, the breeze is the only savior. We would do pool early and beach later. I have been boogie boarding for 20 years, and had one of the best times ever in the waves on the beach. WARNING: Don't wear you new Timex Expedition with easy close Velcro band out there. It will end up like mine at the bottom. The boards they lend are pretty good quality. Also take the life vest, just leave it on the beach. They make you take it. The kid running the hut is great.

Casino: Hot, smokey, and a dump. Old machines, bad odds (Super Keno) and high minimums. I love playing craps, but not at $10 a roll and in a tub. No wonder nobody was throwing the bones. Seriously, it was like taking the casino out of the Bellagio in Vegas and replacing it with Slots-A-Fun. In Excellence's defense, it is operated by a Carib. gaming outlet independently of the resort. It I were Excellence, I would just yank it.

Activities: Always something happening at the pool or on the beach, both athletic and non-athletic. Water polo was a lot of fun. Julio and Francisco do a great job. We were only there 4 nights and didn't do any excursions. We felt though that if we were staying any longer, we would have done something off property. The 1/2 day deep sea fishing trip for mahi-mahi and wahoo sounded like a good deal for $95. Complimentary horseback riding was okay. Some of the horses seemed quite old, but for the most part well cared for.

Shopping: Find Nancy to the left of the resort. I bought a Presidente shirt from her for 1/2 of what they wanted in the gift shop. Larimar is the national stone found in the DR. We bought a necklace and bracelet when the vendors came to the resort on Tues. night. All in all, not a lot of stuff we found excited us much.

Room: Beautiful! great coffee. Fridge was constantly stocked with beer, pop, and water. Our all time favorite room from a vacation was a honeymoon suite at the Rio in Vegas. The standard Excellence room was better. We emailed a week early requesting a 3rd floor room. Ours overlooked the cascade pool. Couldn't have been happier.

Overall, we loved everything. For the ride back, Prieto brought a great big tour bus. It felt a lot safer and relaxed a lot more on the way to the airport.

8  Thank GrouperSandwich94
Reviewed June 22, 2007

Flew with Thompson, upgraded to Premium, Best Premium in the world, worth every penny of £150
Fantastic Resort, Clean Pool, Room, Beach, Facilities.
Took Helicopter too resort worth every penny. (Did seem strange no one to meet us???)As we booked with Hotel, Got to reception everyone ultra friendly, Got talked into upgrade $100 per night for 1 bowl fruit that rotted and 1 bowl flowers that wilted. Free internet and an annoying concierge that rang every time you were about to siesta, IT’S A RIP OFF, Most of the other rooms are the same.
The room was kept immaculate, flowers on towels etc.
Drink, all you can and top premium Brands, 5 star.
Wine with meals Ok but a bit slow!
Breakfast Ok, Buffet, lack of fruits got board after 4 days, 4 star.
Lunch Ok, Buffet was best, lack of salads 3.5 star
Dinner Poor, French poor, Italian poor, Mediterranean Poor, Mexican OK, Lobster (Stank) did not try! Spice did not fancy. In all took, 1 hour between courses, This is the only reason that stops me ringing Thompson and booking for next year. The quality of the food.
Overall rating 4 stars, If you have booked, enjoy, you will be made welcome, the location and the resort is good, but the dinner is poor.

2  Thank derekshf