My wife and I just got back from Excellence Punta Cana earlier this week and we already want to go back. We went in mid-June for our 6 year anniversary and it was perfect.
We were there for 11 days and the weather was beautiful. We only had one day where it rained for most of the day. Other than that, blue skies and sunshine. It did rain most nights, but it usually was really late at night (like 2AM-3AM late). Couldn’t be happier with the weather.
The beach and waves were nothing like some people have warned about. The water is really shallow for a good ways out, and I’ve seen bigger waves at the Jersey shore. We had a blast boogie boarding and playing around in the crystal blue/green water. The red flags were up most of the time, but I think they leave them up more to cover their butts on liability. The water wasn’t bad at all.
Mosquitoes were practically non-existent. We didn’t need the bug spray at all except for one evening. The one day that it had rained for most of the day we got a few bites hanging out at the sports bar that night. As soon as we sprayed a little DEET on ourselves the 2 or 3 mosquitoes we did notice left us alone.
The food was amazing at most of the restaurants, especially at Agave and Toscana. The Pizza and nachos at the beach grill were excellent as well. I pretty much mainlined Presidente and Coco Locos for the entire trip. It was wonderful. All the other drinks they offered were great as well. I especially like the Palmera Tropical. On our last day I asked one of the bartenders for the recipe. It was still early in the morning an no one was at the bar, so not only did he give me the recipe, he also let me come around to the other side and make in on my own. When you visit the Dominican Republic, don't forget to enjoy some of the mamajuana. It's great stuff.
The property was beautiful and very well maintained. It was also the perfect size. Big enough that you could find a nice quite romantic spot anywhere anytime, but also plenty of activities and fun stuff going on throughout the day and evening. We also did one excursion. We did the dune buggy tour. It was a blast, but bring clothes your willing to get dirty and don't forget a bandana fro your face (the mud does fly everywhere.
Special thanks to flipflop_man for his advice and recommendations on rooms. We stayed in Building 10, room 10105. It was an Excellence Club Excellence Suite Room, on the second floor, with the wrap-around balcony. It arguably may be the best room at the resort. They balcony looked out over the pool and the Ocean, and was angled just right to give a nice view of the property as well. We prefer a balcony room over a ground floor room because we didn’t have to worry about leaving the sliding door open or the drapes closed. Ground floor by the pool sacrifices a lot of privacy, and who want to keep their drapes closed all the time and miss out on the beautiful view. Building 7 is also part of the Excellence Club, but the Excellence Suite Rooms there are right next to the Pool Bar. I love the Pool Bar, but it got really crowded at time and really noisy. I wouldn’t want a room next to it. So if you do choose to do the Excellence Club (any room type), ask for building 10 over building 7.
Santiago is the best! Santiago along with Ines and Carlos, where the crew at the Excellence Club Beach Area. Anything my wife or I needed, they took care of us. THey were all wonderful. But even more than just taking care of our vacation needs, they were great people. It was really nice to have a friendly face to talk to. If you guys read this, thanks for making our vacation truly wonderful, and best of luck Santiago in all your future endeavors. Remember, if you're dedicated enough, you can do anything.
Finally, I got to say thanks to Franklin from the Water Sports Center. He helped me get PADI Open Water Certified and finally fulfill a long overdue promise to a good friend who is no long with us. So thank you.
If anybody has any questions about my trip, feel free to PM me.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- This quaint, colonial-style resort is the ideal destination for couples seeking secluded romantic getaways. Nestled among palms on a perfect white-sand beach on a remote stretch of Punta Cana's Caribbean shoreline, Excellence Punta Cana provides the perfect All-Inclusive playground for adults only and is also home to a world-class spa, state-of-the-art fitness center and an exceptional range of activities and services. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Savannahville Tours N.V., Travelocity, Hotels.com, Hotwire, BookIt.com, Orbitz, TravelUp, TripOnline SA, Jetsetter, HotelsClick, Evoline ltd, getaroom.com and HotelQuickly so you can book your Excellence Punta Cana reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Secrets Excellence Punta Cana
- Excellence Resort Punta Cana
- Excellence Punta Cana Resort
- Secrets Punta Cana
- Excellence Punta Cana Dominican Republic
- Excellence Dominican Republic
- Punta Cana Excellence Hotel
- Excellence Punta Cana Hotel
- Secret Excellence Resort Punta Cana
- Punta Cana Secrets Excellence