“Fantastic”

Ranked #15 of 110 Hotels in Punta Cana
Detroit, Michigan
“Fantastic”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 30, 2010

Just got back last night. Had a great time. Beautiful room, great friendly staff, good food, fun entertainment, overall a beautiful property.

I read the negative reviews before we went and upon our return. The negative comments are from people I believe stayed somewhere else, or perhaps never went to the Excellence. Read the negative reviews and notice they are mostly from the upper east coast of the US. Interesting.....perhaps they should visit FLORIDA instead.

This is a jungle island. Yes it rains in the summer months. Yes there are mosquitos when the sun sets, it's a jungle! (recommend OFF 100% DEET - you will not be bothered)

Resort people were WONDERFUL and FUN. Great choice of restaurants. Musty smell in the room was gone after 1/2 hour of A/C running. No need for room freshener. Our A/C went out and was running 15 minutes later (make sure your balcony door is closed. It has a kill switch to your A/C - DUH, good idea for those that would want to cool the outside!)

Night shows were very entertaining...please folks, this isn't Las Vegas. Ride from aiport is one hour. We hired a taxi, the last stop out of the airport, the first group of drivers you meet are shuttle bus people and you could have multiple stops on your way. Private taxi is $70 one way. well worth it, the ride is pretty wild, as the traffic laws are pretty lax.

All of our service requests were met with urgency. The staff made this a wonderful vacation. The people at the Excllence made this memorable trip.

Please take dollar biils with you. They go a long way to making this a truly memorable time. We gave the housekeepers $5 every three days, always a stocked mini-bar, extra towels and sheets, folded towels as animals, flower petals, turn down service...etc. Keep in mind a $1 goes a long way for these very kind people.

Just go, forget the naysayers..........you'll be glad you did!

PS. stake your claim on a palapa with towels early, you'll be glad you did.

1 Thank maggiebones

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3,529)
  • Korean first
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 29, 2010

It's not just the tropical surroundings that make this resort so beautiful. It's the people. Smiling, courteous, and friendly! They made us feel very welcome. The food in the resturants was excellent. All the resort amenities were top shelf. Thanks, Elise (sp?) for the great Spanish classes. Thanks, Deivi (Bartender in the Grille). And to all of the special people who worked to make our stay great. The fitness center is also very nice.

1 Thank silverxlt
Mahwah, NJ
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 28, 2010

Greetings everyone!
My fiance and I just returned from Excellence Punta Cana. I am such an avid user of this site, It is my go-to site before booking any vacation, therefore I felt it was absolutely necessary to share our experience with anyone who might be contemplating a trip to Excellence. I sincerely hope that anyone reading this doesn't just assume I'm another "hard to please" traveler and quickly glances over my review... If I can save even one person from making the mistake that we made then maybe I can find a silver lining in this mess, knowing something good came from helping someone else.
It is my understanding that many of the negative posts are removed from the forum for not following the guidelines so I will remain tactful and diplomatic so my post can continue to be viewed here on Tripadvisor.

With all that being said.....
It is now the rainy season in Punta Cana. I know this is out of anyone's control but just F.Y.I. anyone wanting to know the weather right now it rains everyday, pretty much all day and it is my understanding that this continues throughout the next few months.
The mosquitoes are horrendous. The resort has some sort of "fogging" system which emits bug repellent into the air nightly on a scheduled timer near the rooms but this doesn't help with the outdoor restaurants which are no where near the rooms...(not that I want something like that near my food). The mosquito problem makes it impossible to indulge in the "extras" they offer at Excellence. They offer a romantic dinner on the beach, romantic massages on the beach, etc... however even after bathing in bug spray which you will have to purchase for $15.00 you are still going to get bit alot. The resort has bug spray at all the restaurants, they do not offer it to you, you have to ask them for it, my fiance and I found this out by accident. If you decide to book your vacation here, I highly recommend getting your own because you will need it just for the walk to the restaurant. Whenever we started to have conversations with other guests one of the first comments they would make would be in reference to the mosquitoes. It is an obvoius and paramount problem that I was not very aware of upon booking this trip.
Our room was not ready when we arrived, and the front desk reminded us that check-in is not till 3pm and it was only 1pm. I asked about an upgrade and the gentleman behind the desk laughed at me and said "Everyone wants an upgrade." We didn't book in the Excellence Club and I would have gladly paid the extra money for it, however he never even mentioned it to us. I learned about the Excellence Club from other guests throughout the week. When we finally found our room there was construction going on outside of it and the inside of the room smelled damp and mildew-ish. The beds are rock-hard, our mini-bar had empty bottles in it from the previous guest, a manteneience worker came into the room without knocking as I was changing...the shower flooded the bathroom floor eveytime we used it. I would go on and on about the room but I will parlay this into the staff at Excellence. They are very unattentive, aloof, and passive. If you have a concern they really just don't care and I can't put that any better way. There were times they were even a little rude. They don't have answers if you call them on the phone and always tell you they will call you back...they don't. If you call again, they don't answer. The general manager was rude and the last thing we wanted when trying to find resolutions to what were relevant problems was a staff with a negative attitude. We literally felt like we just dumped a few thousand dollars down the drain. The most unhelpful staff I have ever encountered.
The restaurants have very limited menus, although you do have your choice of quite a few restaurants they do close one or two of them each night however. If you do not speak Spanish there will definately be a language barrier as they do speak spanish and make no effort to ease the barrier...another common conversation topic amongst guests.
They don't supply you with menus in your room so you will have to go around the resort "restaurant hopping" to read each menu. We ordered room service twice and it took almost two hours to come.
There were no working jacuzzis outside and you are not allowed in the pools after 6PM.
We had two days that we couldn't get any towels at the beach or the pool.
There is an awful smell in the air off and on, the only way to describe it is rotten eggs.
The entertainment is lacking. They have a theme show each night and after it ends at ten you have two choices...goto the Martini bar which has live music (which we enjoyed) but its just for a half hour, then there is no more music...or you can go to the disco which just wasnt our speed...it's loud and smokey. So, after the half hour of music at the Martini bar there was nothing for us and you needed to be inside because of the mosquitos.

I have to finish this book up.
I almost forgot....The parrots bite!
All in all this trip was a huge let down for us and I don't want to see it happen to other people. Feel free to email me on tripadvisor. Please learn from our mistake.

2 Thank kell
Darien, Connecticut
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 28, 2010

This was a special anniversary...The ride from the airport was an event to be remembered (in a negative way)...Upon arrival we had to wait for a room that was missing a screen door, the door to the safe, tv that wasn't working and wine stains on a rug. This was a suite and when we complained we were given a single room on the outskirts of the property overlooking an unattractive pond. The food in one restaurant, Chez Isabelle was very good, Barcelona was so bad we had to leave our dinners. The buffet was good except for uncovered food with flies around. The beach was great except you couldn't swim; the service on the beach, the buffet and Chez Isabelle was quite good. The service at Barcelona and the Lobster House were horrible. We went on the word of our travel agent and it was probably the worse vacation, let alone our anniversary, that we have ever taken!!!

Fort Myers Beach
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 26, 2010

The rooms are in deserate need of up grading, nothing works, coffee machine, radio, internet, ect. The desk promises one thing and then never returns your calls. Bad management including the general manager Gabriel Garcias. No one can be trusted. Out side or our room smelled like raw sewage the entire week.

Do not come here........

2 Thank FortMyersBeachRob
Agawam, Massachusetts
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 26, 2010

Finally writing my review. I felt guilty never giving the hotel it's just do. It's was everything we wanted in a honeymoon spot. You could do much or as little as you wanted. We preferred to relax by ourselves for the most part. We were always able to find a quiet spot with the excellent service never far away. The room, grounds, and beach were all spotless and beautiful. We loved the food at all of the restaurants. The different themes were great and you never had to wait long. The only cautions I'd have for other travelers is that the ocean was a bit too rough for swimming and the drive from the airport is a little over an hour.

• Stayed May 2008, traveled as a couple
1 Thank supraceo
Steele, Alabama
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 25, 2010

My wife and I spent 6 nights at Excellence PC. This was our first trip outside of the U.S. and our first time at an all-inclusive. Needless to say, we were a little nervous. All of our worries melted away as soon as we arrived. We booked the Excellence Club, and after talking with other guests who had not, it was well worth the extra $. Anytime we called the private concierge for ANYTHING, we would be called back within minutes to make sure that our request had been answered. Our idea of beach fun is to relax and do nothing, which is exaclty what we did on the Excellence Club section of the beach. Santiago made sure that we had everything that we needed (from a beach bed w/ extra towels to drinks all day and lunch). If you are more into activities, all you have to do is take the short walk over to the other side of the beach. I just can't say enough about the service that we received. We did leave the resort for a half day zip line excurrsion, which we booked through VIP. We highly suggest taking this trip. Overall, everything was Excellente!!!

3 Thank WeLuvExcellence